Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

when will they be available for purchase

We have 12 golfers playing in a men's league today with Penta TP and will report back their findings after the round. Not a single person of the 12 has ever tried them before.

We have 12 golfers playing in a men's league today with Penta TP and will report back their findings after the round. Not a single person of the 12 has ever tried them before.

This will be pretty interesting. I was going to ask if anyone out there still had some and what they were thinking about the Penta TP's. I checked Golf USA and like mentioned above can't get them untill 12/01.

Out of curiosity, is it very possible that the 2010 Penta TP's will change slightly like the E6's and Pro V1's change seemingly every year? If so, I may pick up quite a few in December.

So the feedback was 100% unanimous. All 12 people liked the ball better than what they were currently playing. We were slightly shocked by that feedback, because as most of you know we very rarely get 100% of anything.

The biggest thing people liked about the ball was approach shots. Balls stopping that would normally run out. Putting was another aspect that the guys raved about.

I lost another one of mine on Saturday :(

An attempted three wood 60 yard cut around a tree, which went dead straight (I can't do that when I want to) into some long grass. Never to be seen again. Some lucky devil will find it and wonder what it is.

My one other thing to add is I flat out skulled one shot. Kind of thing that would have been down to the rubber band windings on an old balata ball and there wasn't a mark on it. I still think they scuff a little with full on wedge shots, but they don't cut at all.

Very cool. Being it was a men's league I'm guessing their handicaps were pretty diverse?

I still see something kind of funny with them. I keep finding the ball stuck in it's divot. I could understand if the greens were overly soft, but they are pretty normal. The ball comes in very high, soft and with a lot of spin, but the divot is so deep it can't always crawl out, lol.

The indexes were extremely diverse ranging from 2 to 24.

I lost another one of mine on Saturday :(

An attempted three wood 60 yard cut around a tree, which went dead straight (I can't do that when I want to) into some long grass. Never to be seen again. Some lucky devil will find it and wonder what it is.

My one other thing to add is I flat out skulled one shot. Kind of thing that would have been down to the rubber band windings on an old balata ball and there wasn't a mark on it. I still think they scuff a little with full on wedge shots, but they don't cut at all.

You still have 2 or 3 left right Ty?

You still have 2 or 3 left right Ty?

I have 2 pristine ones and one rather battered and bruised one (it's played about 38 holes so far). I'm hopefully playing again on Saturday, weather permitting.

Well, I thought I'd lost all 5, but I was wrong. I was cleaning out my bag and tucked down in the corner of the ball pocket was the first Penta I played. I guess I just stuck it in there after one round and forgot about it. Next time I play It will come out again, but I don't know when that will be. The latest snow storm is melting, but not very quickly. Won't be playing any time before next week at the earliest. :angry:

I know I'm not one of the official testers, but I played with a Penta today. Wow - these balls aren't just covered in pixie dust - they're magical balls. I was hitting distances I rarely hit and on every hole so I know it wasn't just a fluke. The interesting thing for me was the way they stopped on the green and didn't roll. For the record - I'm a high handicapper with a slow swing speed. I've played with Ty and didn't think a ball that worked that well for him would work for me too, but it did. I'll say it again - wow.

Okay, now you've got my attention. Where do I put my name on the list for future testing?

Okay, now you've got my attention. Where do I put my name on the list for future testing?

ROTFL :laughing:

Sometimes you just have to hit the donkey (j/k Harry) over the head with a 2x4 to get its attention. I'm guessing that nobody ever compared Diane to a piece of wood before... :D

ROTFL :laughing:

Sometimes you just have to hit the donkey (j/k Harry) over the head with a 2x4 to get its attention. I'm guessing that nobody ever compared Diane to a piece of wood before... :D

:D

It's not just that (although my donkey head almost certainly contributed). It's that: (a) Diane is not one particularly interested in equipment, so she doesn't really seem to suffer from the "Honeymoon" syndrome; (b) Diane doesn't tend to exaggerate about either her abilities or the performance of equipment; and (c) she says she is a high handicapper, versus low-caps that I would normally associate with a premium ball.

I'm still a little concerned that it might be a little too spinny (i.e., side spinny) for me, but now willing to give it a try. Before, I just thought it probably wouldn't work for me.

That was the beauty of the Penta for me... it didn't have the side spin off my driver that even a Pro V1 had. Straightest ball I've ever hit, but I've never hit the E6's.

That was the beauty of the Penta for me... it didn't have the side spin off my driver that even a Pro V1 had. Straightest ball I've ever hit, but I've never hit the E6's.

That was one thing I noticed too. I play a fade normally, and on occasion I have been known to swipe at a ball with a pronounced out to in swing path. :rolleyes: I didn't have any issues with excessive sidespin playing the Penta. I also didn't get the balloon effect of excessive backspin off the driver that I have experienced even with the Nike PD Soft, a two piece surlyn ball. The spin really seems to take effect just when you start getting to your approach shots, which is just one of the more remarkable positive features of this ball.

I did not either fourputt. The one thing I noticed on the tee is that I never had to worry about ballooning. Never an issue at all.

Used these today to practice with the 56* Niblick out of the sand. The spin generated was staggering. It was so nice to use them again and see the greenside playability.

Used these today to practice with the 56* Niblick out of the sand. The spin generated was staggering. It was so nice to use them again and see the greenside playability.

I had hoped you would get the chance to try these with the niblick and/or the new cg15's. I used my last one yesterday on some very hard greens and was the only one in our group who could stop the ball. Until I lost that last one.

I shot a 39 (woohoo) on the front and started the back well until I tee'd off on the 13th hole. Par 5 with a dogleg off the tee, of course I went for it, hehe. The ball had a nice draw, but not enough, plunk, right in the creek. Finished that hole with a bogey and pretty much finished out my round that way. 46 on the back nine for an 85.

The guy's I played with were hacked that I only had one of those ball's. Taylormade just made some money, because these guy's will be in line to buy them in December you can bet.

I played with two balls today - the Penta on holes without water and a Callaway on the water holes because I didn't want to lose the Penta. I have a slight natural draw, but the Penta still went straight. I am in love with this ball.

I played with two balls today - the Penta on holes without water and a Callaway on the water holes because I didn't want to lose the Penta. I have a slight natural draw, but the Penta still went straight. I am in love with this ball.

That's awesome Diane. You never gush over equipment, so the Penta must be a real winner.

That's awesome Diane. You never gush over equipment, so the Penta must be a real winner.

The Penta is definitely a winner, but it has an added benefit. Since I hit it so well - it gives me more confidence on the course.

The Penta is definitely a winner, but it has an added benefit. Since I hit it so well - it gives me more confidence on the course.

Good deal Diane. Have you noticed the ball being any longer, or a higher/lower ball flight?

They sure are straight, I just wish they floated!

Good deal Diane. Have you noticed the ball being any longer, or a higher/lower ball flight?

They sure are straight, I just wish they floated!

They're definitely longer. I have a very low trajectory, but these do go higher - not very high, but higher than I usually hit.

Back