TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

My ASP looks about the same as yours DJ. It drives me nuts how much crap that wrench hole can collect. I call it a design flaw, lol.

Razr Hawkage on the way huh? Adios R11.

I don't find this driver tremendously unforgiving. Maybe i don't hit it far enough, but misses for me don't seem to lose noticeably more distance than other drivers. Of course I don't change drivers very often. I'll be gaming this one for a while. I'm looking forward to what i can do with it next season if I continue to lose weight over the Winter. I'll admit to struggles with the 3W and hybrid. But I always struggle with both. The hybrid is getting a little better, but i still hit too many high/push/toe shots with it. I pulled the 3w from my bag and put back in my TEE. Crushed it yesterday a couple times, so it will stay.

As far as wear on the bottom, our range is so crappy that every club gets worn. Doesn't bother me much.

Kevin

I don't find this driver tremendously unforgiving. Maybe i don't hit it far enough, but misses for me don't seem to lose noticeably more distance than other drivers. Of course I don't change drivers very often. I'll be gaming this one for a while. I'm looking forward to what i can do with it next season if I continue to lose weight over the Winter. I'll admit to struggles with the 3W and hybrid. But I always struggle with both. The hybrid is getting a little better, but i still hit too many high/push/toe shots with it. I pulled the 3w from my bag and put back in my TEE. Crushed it yesterday a couple times, so it will stay.

As far as wear on the bottom, our range is so crappy that every club gets worn. Doesn't bother me much.

Kevin

You have a tendency to hit the ball in the middle of the club face a lot dude. I've seen you in action now, you have a great game off the tee. I love how low you hit the ball.

My ASP looks about the same as yours DJ. It drives me nuts how much crap that wrench hole can collect. I call it a design flaw, lol.

Razr Hawkage on the way huh? Adios R11.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hate it when dirt/mud gets in the wrench hole and it's a pain to get out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hate it when dirt/mud gets in the wrench hole and it's a pain to get out.

It angers me, and I'm severely OCD when it comes to keeping my gear clean. Dude, rain all freaking week. No nunchuk/R11 combo for you.

It angers me, and I'm severely OCD when it comes to keeping my gear clean. Dude, rain all freaking week. No nunchuk/R11 combo for you.

I've thought about that and may have a solution since there is a bar somewhat close with sims. They are kind of expensive to use, but I like to hit golf balls. I'm anxious to see how it compares to my current shaft(s).

One thing that gave me fits was paint chips at the asp. None of you have that but i did. I wnt through many fittings when I had the driver, it just dis not work for me on a consistent basis. When I had good days it was fab. The sound was intoxicating. I just got sick of being a range superstar. ALas the 2.0. I will probably get whatever TM releases in the upcoming months for a driver, unless I get to test it:)

It better be white though, that's the caveat! I love the look as it is SLICK

One thing that gave me fits was paint chips at the asp. None of you have that but i did. I wnt through many fittings when I had the driver, it just dis not work for me on a consistent basis. When I had good days it was fab. The sound was intoxicating. I just got sick of being a range superstar. ALas the 2.0. I will probably get whatever TM releases in the upcoming months for a driver, unless I get to test it:)

It better be white though, that's the caveat! I love the look as it is SLICK

Since they have already sold 1M white metalwoods in less than 9 months, I think it's here to stay for a while.

You have a tendency to hit the ball in the middle of the club face a lot dude. I've seen you in action now, you have a great game off the tee. I love how low you hit the ball.

Ha! It comes and goes. Qualified for the final match play 18 in my club championship this weekend. Hit the ball perfectly in Saturday's round. Not to well in the second round on Sunday in cold and wind, but squeaked into the final by one shot. Hit like three good shots total in the afternoon 18 hole final and had my ass handed to me 6 and 5. But generally I'm pretty consistent.

I liken the R11 to the CBs irons I chose for TMC. You lose something if you're not consistent no doubt, but I'm finding the performance of both the R11 and the CBs very pleasing when I'm on or close to being on my game. I think the Nippon shafts I picked for the CBs are fantastic beyond my expectations.

Kevin

Wear pics.

aefc80ef-868b-f626.jpg

aefc80ef-86b0-247d.jpg

aefc80ef-86cd-30ff.jpg

--
tapatalk

My sole plate is holding up rather well for now, no sign of any wear on it at all.

Maybe you guys need to stop hitting the deck so much with your drivers - hehe

just joking

what are the differences betwene the std r11 driver and the tp one?

shaft options

New Equipment

New Equipment

New Taylormade R11 arrived today! Can't want to get it tuned and see how it goes. Anything is better then that POS that is my bag now! STOKED :banana:

icant wait for the 460 version to come out

Last edited:
I don't find this driver tremendously unforgiving. Maybe i don't hit it far enough, but misses for me don't seem to lose noticeably more distance than other drivers. Of course I don't change drivers very often.

Just so you know, this could be the most unforgiving driver of 2011.

I think that also depends on where you need the forgiveness. If you miss left or right of the sweet spot, I'll agree with the terribly unforgiving. However if you miss up (like me) the performance drop isn't that bad with a miss. I've put a lot of time into my driver swing lately and now that I have a consistent miss (up and to the heel 45 degrees) I find it's giving this driver a new lease on life. That and of course a shaft change since I'm such a ho...

I'm not prepaired to call this a forgiving driver in the slightest but I'm not willing to kick it to the curb quite so hard as I use to be. I still think if one is going to use this they have to be dialed right in with the loft, face angle and shaft.

So I was playing in my society today an 1 of the other played said I bought an r11 3wood last week and I just can't get on with it is anyone interested in it?? I currently play a g10 with a reg shaft that Was a handmedown! My driver ss is110so playing a reg in the 3 wood wasn't right for me! He offered me a deal I couldn't refuse a total of 79 pounds off what he payed a week before! No wear on the club at all!

I took it onto the course with everything at neutral to give it a go! WOW I used it 3 times 2nd shot to a par 5 246 to the middle I pitched just before the flag and finished at the back of the green! The other 2 times was off the tee into tight ppar 4s I put drove everyone in my group into the fairway aprox 260 all with mid flight fades! I'm super impressed with this club just need to get to the range and get diled in! Sorry for the long post bit I'm just pumped I got a great deal on wwhat seams like a club that really works for me!

I'm going to pick up the 4w this week. Excited to fill the gap in my bag between the 3i and the SFTP2.0. Stock shaft works for me.

I'm going to pick up the 4w this week. Excited to fill the gap in my bag between the 3i and the SFTP2.0. Stock shaft works for me.

Great stuff! I fell in love with it again today. I used to hit driver everytime I could, now I use 4W every chance I get. It's just that dependable off the tee, and with an easy swing its sneaky good off the fwy and shorter rough.

Please chime in when you get it on the course.

--
tapatalk

Hope you guys can help me out. Over the weekend I bought the r11 3w (R) flex. My driver swing speed on average is about 85mph (always on the border of Reg and A flex). I am not sure what my 3w swing speed is. With that driver swing speed does the (R) flex Blur shaft make sense for me? My old 5w was a K15 in Ping's Soft Regular flex and it always felt like the club/shaft was doing all the work for me. I am not getting that same feeling with this club. Perhaps I am not loading it properly? So far I am playing it at 16.5* loft with the plate in the C position. Off the tee its going well, but pushing everything right in the fairway.
Had it cut down 3/4" today (as I am only 5' 4"); Hoping that helps me control the thing a little better.

There's lots more than just swing speed involved in shaft flex, that said, I think your fine with the blur. I have the blur in my 4w and something I've noticed is that from the fairway you have to be smooth with it. A hasty transition (for me) will always be a fade shot.

Do you grip the club before adressing the ball on a fairway lie?

--
tapatalk

Whenever I hit from the fairway or rough I always place the club on the grass first then grip the club accordingly to adjust if I need to grip down or not. Is this improper ?

Whenever I hit from the fairway or rough I always place the club on the grass first then grip the club accordingly to adjust if I need to grip down or not. Is this improper ?

No you're fine. I just wanted to make sure you were'nt gripping then addressing the ball. If you do that then you negate the sole plate function.

Picked up an R11 3W two days ago after trying the Rescue 11, 910h, 910f, and G15. I took it out on the course today without any range time, but only the indoor launch monitor numbers to go by. Turns out the LM was pretty accurate, and this thing was great off the tee and the turf. I've never been able to hit a 3w off the deck, but the R11 was easy to hit straight.

Most memorable was from 210 yds out, 2nd shot on a par 5. Put it on the green for my first ever eagle putt. Just missed it but gave it a good roll, leaving a tap-in birdie. Didn't need to mess with the settings -- neutral and standard loft work for me.

It feels balanced in my hands, and it's solid on impact. This thing is going to stay in my bag for a while!

Picked up an R11 3W two days ago after trying the Rescue 11, 910h, 910f, and G15. I took it out on the course today without any range time, but only the indoor launch monitor numbers to go by. Turns out the LM was pretty accurate, and this thing was great off the tee and the turf. I've never been able to hit a 3w off the deck, but the R11 was easy to hit straight.

Most memorable was from 210 yds out, 2nd shot on a par 5. Put it on the green for my first ever eagle putt. Just missed it but gave it a good roll, leaving a tap-in birdie. Didn't need to mess with the settings -- neutral and standard loft work for me.

It feels balanced in my hands, and it's solid on impact. This thing is going to stay in my bag for a while!
Glad you like it. It is a heck of a 3 wood, that is for sure.

Back