TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

ive been gaming the R11 driver and 3w, both with stiff blur shafts, for a few months now and im pretty happy with the results. I was gaming a callaway FT-IZ driver and 3W and ive noticed with the R11's that my left/right shot dispersion has really narrowed. Im definitely noticing a bump in distance with the R11s too, and although it may not be the most forgiving club, i find the driver offers more than enough forgiveness where i mishit the ball (Usually a little high and towards the toe)

I have a 9* head and after experimenting with all different settings, ive come back to playing with everything neutral. I would like to get some more weights though and try some other combination besides 10/1.

anyway, nothing that anyone hasnt said before but im finding this to be a really fun driver and 3w to have in the bag.

ive been gaming the R11 driver and 3w, both with stiff blur shafts, for a few months now and im pretty happy with the results. I was gaming a callaway FT-IZ driver and 3W and ive noticed with the R11's that my left/right shot dispersion has really narrowed. Im definitely noticing a bump in distance with the R11s too, and although it may not be the most forgiving club, i find the driver offers more than enough forgiveness where i mishit the ball (Usually a little high and towards the toe)

I have a 9* head and after experimenting with all different settings, ive come back to playing with everything neutral. I would like to get some more weights though and try some other combination besides 10/1.anyway, nothing that anyone hasnt said before but im finding this to be a really fun driver and 3w to have in the bag.

Thanks for the report! I have been using the 10/4 weights (10 on the toe and 4 on the heel) and I really like the results. It is giving me a more neutral ball flight with a little fade.

hmm interesting....yea, 10/1 is a little too 'on/off' im thinking. i might pick up some weights and give 10/4 a go.

I really love my driver and 3 wood. Every time I hit a shot I think" gee golly this looks good." I really want a five wood now, but don't know if I should wait

...and you will say the same with the 5 wood. It had me grinning the first time I hit it.

Gents,
Two questions I was hoping somebody could help me out with.

1) Looking at an r11 12*. My swing speed is on average 82 mph and was torn between the M flex and R. I had an r9 earlier this season in R flex and I could never seem to load the stock Aldila REAX shaft, especially after cutting it down an inch. I know cutting from the butt shouldn't matter but it seemed to stiffen the club for me. Could be all in my head.

I have a very smooth tempo and very slow back swing. So I was leaning towards the M flex. Does this seem right?
I hit one today in that configuration and got about 209 as my furthest shot with about 198 on average.

2) Any rumors swirling as to when the 460 cc version will be out in the r11?
Would much rather have the bigger head. But the extra $100 trade in promo on the current model is tough to pass up.

I know it been going on for a while, but the trade-in promo with the R11 stuff has rekindled my interest in this driver. I hit it today, I had some really nice results. But I still want to see what's coming around the corner.

Gents,

1) Looking at an r11 12*. My swing speed is on average 82 mph and was torn between the M flex and R. I had an r9 earlier this season in R flex and I could never seem to load the stock Aldila REAX shaft, especially after cutting it down an inch. I know cutting from the butt shouldn't matter but it seemed to stiffen the club for me. Could be all in my head.

I have a very smooth tempo and very slow back swing. So I was leaning towards the M flex. Does this seem right?
I hit one today in that configuration and got about 209 as my furthest shot with about 198 on average.

Would much rather have the bigger head. But the extra $100 trade in promo on the current model is tough to pass up.

Hi erock,

M flex sounds about right. I would compare the two flexes on the monitor and see which performs best. The TM rep during the Morgan Cup said there won't be anymore driver releases this year. I expect something to be released after the PGA show next year, but haven't heard any details/rumors. I know the price has come down on the R11 and if you have some trade bait, I would go ahead and pick up the R11 if you can't wait a few months.

one of the members of our course has already gone thru 2 r11's... both drivers faces caved in (he is a long bomber)
he really loves the look and feel of the r11 but he doesnt wanna try for strike 3
he has since been using a 910 as his driver of choice

Gents,

I recommend Regular flex. OEM shafts are weaker and the Reg will suit your swing speed. Cutting down an inch from the butt end of the shaft will not change the flex (trimming the tip end of the shaft will alter stiffness). You can gain distance by experimenting with different shafts. I always gain distance swapping shafts, without having spend a lot. If history is an indication, I expect TM to release a 460cc R11.

The R11 felt head heavy for me. I changed the screws but it still did not feel right. I'm guessing the swingweight on mine was near D8 at stock setting (TM website states D4 but the actual product can differ). Also the Blur shaft needed to be replaced. Lots of folks are bombing the R11 with the correct shaft. I may give it another try when the price drops.

I may be wrong but the stock shaft is a blur, not aldila. As to flex, I've always been told to play the weakest shaft you can control to get max distance.

The price just dropped to $299 btw.

--
tapatalk

I may be wrong but the stock shaft is a blur, not aldila. As to flex, I've always been told to play the weakest shaft you can control to get max distance.

The price just dropped to $299 btw.

--
tapatalk

Well in that case I should try seniors, lady's or XX flex cause i haven't been able to "control", R/S/X flexes very well at all. Hehehe...

Gents,

Regular sounds right to me. It's just a guess, however. I'd suggest getting an R11 tuning, which is free at a store here locally with the club purchase or test in a launch monitor. As someone mentioned, cutting the butt down an inch wont affect the stiffness.

Last I heard there wasn't going to be a 460 R11. New drivers are usually shown at the PGA Show, so we'll have to see what were rumors were true. THP will have some sneak previews as well.

Just when I think i've got my golf bag sorted. It sounds strange but I've never played a 3wood or 5wood. I've just gotten by without them in the past. Got to have a hit of one of these the other day and can hit it much more accurately off the tee than I can with my driver. The last few rounds I've had a love hate relationship with my driver. I tend to only use it on a few holes and put it away in favour of teeing off with a hybrid. I think that one of the r11 3woods are going to be under my christmas tree this year.

I just got my R11 driver for $279 at Carl's Golfland here in Michigan. I wish it had a magnetic head cover instead of the "sock". I've got to find one!

I just got my R11 driver for $279 at Carl's Golfland here in Michigan. I wish it had a magnetic head cover instead of the "sock". I've got to find one!

Go with a Daphne's animal cover or some other generic head cover. It will help keep wandering eyes off your clubs and your clubs out of other people's trunks.

I recommend Regular flex. OEM shafts are weaker and the Reg will suit your swing speed. Cutting down an inch from the butt end of the shaft will not change the flex (trimming the tip end of the shaft will alter stiffness).

Erock...my thoughts would line up with what Breaker wrote. If you are considering the non-TP Fujikura Blur, I have heard that it does seem to play softer than the stated flex. I don't have any personal validation that this is true, but you may want to hit both before committing to one or the other.

Go with a Daphne's animal cover or some other generic head cover. It will help keep wandering eyes off your clubs and your clubs out of other people's trunks.

I got a new magnetic Nike VR driver head cover that fits for $9.00 on eBay. I just blacked out the metallic "Vr" and it looks generic. Thankfully there aren't "swooshes" all over it. The TaylorMade cover is beautiful but a PITA.

Last edited:
I've got to check out the stock cover, I don't remember ever having an issue with mine. The pull tab works like a charm.

once the sock part stretches out then its not so bad

I've got to check out the stock cover, I don't remember ever having an issue with mine. The pull tab works like a charm.

The tab works great for pulling the cover off. It's putting it on that's cumbersome. I'm so used to the convenience of my old Nike Vr magnetic covers which probably amplified my dislike of the "sock". The R11 cover is absolutely gorgeous and attention grabbing, but as dubbledxu alluded to, a more benign cover will also help keep the clubs out of other people's trunks. Maybe preserving the cover by putting it away will also enhance trade-in value.

Last edited:
R-11 driver busted today

R-11 driver busted today

Cracked around the crown on the back of the head. Sucks because I really like the way it felt and I feel like no two drivers are the same.

R-9 Supertri did the same thing a couple of months ago, but it cracked at the crown on the toe after the face gave in.

Taylormade is shipping me a new one, but it is frustrating!

That sucks. At least TM is shipping you a new one, though.

At least they stand behind their products and are sending you a new one.

Sorry to hear that! But I'm glad to hear TM is sending you a new one. I know it's a big inconvenience.

Back