TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

There is no logo grip on my standard 3w. I am going to dial in the settings I want before regripping it as otherwise it wouldn't look right

I took my R11 (10.5*) out to the range a few days ago...
I had been fighting with it a little bit trying to get it tuned in....
I think I finally have a good baseline at Face(N), ASP(-1*), 10g(heel), 1g(toe)
I am currently playing the Stock Blur (R), but also have acquired a Pro Launch Blue(R) that I tipped .5"...Need to put that one infor more testing...
I am getting a little baby draw if I swing a good tempo. but I have to come inside more than I am used to so i am assuming this is the indian and not the arrow)

I think I am going to grab a 12g and 16g on the 'Bay to see if I can turn this over just a bit more...

Okay, I've been preaching tempo with these clubs. Today I overtempoed three drives. One right into a pond just beyond the ladies tees.

There's such a thing as TOO relaxed. A guy needs to at least hold onto the club. lol.

Kevin

Played this weekend with the 14g weight in the heel of the club. It helped with most shots but I did have some that turned into fades. I felt it worked best when I lowered the loft setting and closed the face. I've been working on turning my wrists over and that along with the weight as helped my ball lfight. All-in-all I was not overly frustrated by my driving on Saturday.

Lately I have just been striping the 4W and honest to god making this thing my b*tch with the ASP settings. It is so easy to work the ball and just effortless. I am still finding that when set to LOWER setting I do hit the ball higher than normal for some reason.

However I am not a fan of the R11 driver. I have been demoing one lately and I find when on the downswing the weight of the club really kicks in and the club head gets really heavy and I can feel it on the backswing and it completely throws me off.

You and me both, Dent. I was 2 for 2 driving this short par 4 (245 yards). Grant it, I left the ball on the left side of the green but to be hitting a 4 wood further than I normally hit my driver is mind boggling. I hit it off the tee to play a "safe" shot recently and noticed when I get to quick the thing sounds dead and I hit a low stinger that sucks and usually finds the right rough. Other than that, it is ridiculously easy to stay in tempo and this has been leaps and bounds the best fairway wood I've hit...I just wish the driver gave me results like this thing as it would make my bag look so much nicer!

I hit my 5w for the first time yesterday. I LOVE this thing.

Didn't finish the whole thread but just wanted to add another vote for R11....but in my shaft of choice and it outperformed 910 for distance with equal amount of accuracy and forgiveness....very solid feeling driver with just the right amount of spin.....

Didn't finish the whole thread but just wanted to add another vote for R11....but in my shaft of choice and it outperformed 910 for distance with equal amount of accuracy and forgiveness....very solid feeling driver with just the right amount of spin.....

Is it a secret, or can you tell us which shaft you have in it?

Kevin

Is it a secret, or can you tell us which shaft you have in it?

Kevin

LOL...no secret.....just something that fit my needs....UST Axivcore black 69 ......3.1* torque med-high bend and counterbalanced........ Smooth and steady with pop.....feels a little like a beefy graphite design ys-6.....

LOL...no secret.....just something that fit my needs....UST Axivcore black 69 ......3.1* torque med-high bend and counterbalanced........ Smooth and steady with pop.....feels a little like a beefy graphite design ys-6.....

Now that is a mouth full :D

ahhh i see we have another counterbalanced club player, have seen quite a few here lately, has me interested

ahhh i see we have another counterbalanced club player, have seen quite a few here lately, has me interested

Come on 10YD, join us! You know you want to! Plus, it just feels so good!

Another example of the right shaft find.......just added the gs95's into my irons.......true temper's Nippon equivalent........hadn't hit long irons like that in awhile....helped tie career low score along with r11, mp-t 11 wedges stock spinners and pentas.....66(-5) on 6600 yd local muni......that's with 2 bogies and all pars on five pars......Saturday was four under thru 11 but limped home after wilting in the heat......I know,I know......firemen shouldn't wilt in heat but it happened

First time on the course for my R11 3w. Decided to set it back to default setting, so 15.5* and N ASP. Very happy with how I hit it, a few out to the right but that was because I didn't line up properly down the left side of the fairway. When I lines up properly I was bombing them down the fairway and landing in the middle.

Think I am going to try setting the ASP to C for the next round to see if I can eliminate the fade.

Very happy with my purchase

The 3w r11 is also my favorite club.
But the sole plate does not work at all. It is a gimmick for all r11 this year. They had to come up with something new.
The weight system for the driver is good though - very good in fact.

Something else - you do not correct a fade by changing your club face. The club face gives the initial direction if the ball.
Your fade comes from the difference between your club face and your swing path. You swing inside and therefore get a fade. I would strongly encourage you to spend some time reading about ball flight it will help you a lot.
If you hear anything about flight being driven by swing path then stop reading - people use to believe that about golf but science has proven this to be a myth. But older folks still don't get it today so you never know.

Last edited:
But the sole plate does not work at all. It is a gimmick for all r11 this year. They had to come up with something new.
The weight system is good though - very good in fact.
There is a weight system on the 3 wood?

No there is not. Very sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the driver for this particular statement.
Just to clarify: for the new r11 system - the weight system is very good indeed. The closing an opening of the face via the shaft is quite nice too. But the sole plate is a gimmick - it impacts absolutely nothing about the club.
The fairway club only have the shaft and the sole plate as far as tunning is concerned.

I totally disagree with this. The sole plate definitely changes the face angle when the club is at address.

I totally disagree with this. The sole plate definitely changes the face angle when the club is at address.

What he said.

--
tapatalk

The weight system for the driver is good though - very good in fact.

Something else - you do not correct a fade by changing your club face. The club face gives the initial direction if the ball.
Your fade comes from the difference between your club face and your swing path. You swing inside and therefore get a fade. I would strongly encourage you to spend some time reading about ball flight it will help you a lot.
If you hear anything about flight being driven by swing path then stop reading - people use to believe that about golf but science has proven this to be a myth. But older folks still don't get it today so you never know.

Old people are a little slow. They smell funny, too.

I'm old and find your whole statement a little confusing. Are you trying to say the club face at impact is what affects ball flight? The first bolded sentence seems vague to me.

The sole plate is a visual thing at address. Perceiving the club visually as open or closed can certainly impact one's swing.

Kevin

Agree with you and SW here. My R11 is set to open and has made a substantial difference in my accuracy and somewhat to my perceived ballflight.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Well my R11 3w now has a little dent on top of the crown. I have no idea how it got there although I suspect that one of the kids has hit it with something (more thank likely one of there clubs) when getting there bags out of the back.

Doesn't appear to affect it it any way other than aesthetically

Wonder if a car repair man could suction pull the dent back out

It definitely makes a difference, I prefer it open.

My R11 with the extra 4g (14g weight) in the heel has helped to take the right side of out my shots. My slice has almost vanished (beside a few shots) and my drives are much more consistent. I've noticed slight distance gain as well (5 yards) since adding the weight. That might also be because my ball isn't slicing as much. The one thing that 14G weight has helped with is total control of the club. That extra weight helps me square up the face and give me more confidence.

I would suspect the distance gains are down to the slice going. That's what I need to try to eliminate from my game

I have my 3w set to 14.5* with the ASP set to closed. Seems to be working at the moment (dent and all - hehe)

Back