TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

I would suspect the distance gains are down to the slice going. That's what I need to try to eliminate from my game

I have my 3w set to 14.5* with the ASP set to closed. Seems to be working at the moment (dent and all - hehe)

My settings are closed asp, weight in heel, lower loft setting.

Put a new multi-compound new decade in white on the R11 4 Wood the other day. I have been hitting it terrible and it put me in trouble twice on hole 12 both days of my tournament. I am going to toy around with it on the range soon and perhaps adjust the ASP and FCT.

Well I finally took the plunge and bought the R11 driver. I got the 10.5 in Regular. Really can't wait to get it to the range and course to see what I can do with it

Wow, wish I had bought one of these earlier. I was bombing it on the range. I have it set to 10.5, ASP closed and the 10g weight in the heel. I have honestly never hit a new driver this well before. All the ball marks were in the centre of the club face. I was even able to hit some nice draws when I got my stance properly aligned. Stock shot is the fade as usual but I know this so it is fairly easy to play with.

Can't wait to get to a course to see how well it performs with proper balls

Currently have the r11 driver set ASP N; lower 1*, 10g heel-1 toe

Might open the ASP today

That should help with your hooking issue at the moment, although lowering the loft opens the clubface anyway

Would anyone have a link to the r11 tuning chart that listed backspin and loft.

Saw it once buy haven't been having any luck with search

Currently have the r11 driver set ASP N; lower 1*, 10g heel-1 toe

Might open the ASP today

Are you having trouble hooking the ball? If so moving the weight to the toe is your best bet. With the weight in the heel the driver is completely draw biased. Put the weight in the toe and you should see a more neutral ball flight.

Today was the R11 driver's inaugural round. I have it set to 10* and Closed ASP. Have to say that I am really impressed so far. I missed a few fairways today mainly on the left side due to not hitting my usual fade. I am putting this down to the Vision golf ball with straight flight dimples straightening the ball flight out rather than allowing it to drift back right as I expected. Once I adjusted for this I was hitting then straight down the middle with a slight fade.

I can honestly say i have never hit a new driver like this before and especially not on the first round. I really can't wait to get out again to use the driver some more. Gone are the days where I would hit 3w from the tee all the time. Now I will hit driver unless that will put me in trouble form being too long

I recommend everyone should at least try the R11 if they are in the market for a new driver

Can someone clear up the difference between the Ti and the TP fairway wood?

I believe the Ti stands for Titanium. So it likely has a titanium head where the Tp is the same as the standard fairways but are offered with the upgraded shafts (tp shafts)

After lurking for awhile I've finally decided to dive in for some help.

At the beginning of this year I picked up an R11 with the stock regular flex shaft after hitting it in the simulator (yes, I know). Everything was good and I was apparently hitting it better than the other clubs, but little did I know that once I got onto the course I was going to be slicing it big time.

I spent some time with my club pro and we worked on correcting the problems with my swing, but the slice kept creeping back. We decided to work our way around with shafts and I eventually found myself getting best results with the TP 55 stiff shaft.

I believe I can get one of these for around $100.00, but perhaps there is a much better option to me. Heck, if I'm going to spend money upgrading just the shaft then I might as well make it count. As well as what shaft you recommend, where is a good place to get one on-line?

I hit the ball about 240-260 and have a mid-to-high 90 swing speed.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys.

After lurking for awhile I've finally decided to dive in for some help.

At the beginning of this year I picked up an R11 with the stock regular flex shaft after hitting it in the simulator (yes, I know). Everything was good and I was apparently hitting it better than the other clubs, but little did I know that once I got onto the course I was going to be slicing it big time.

I spent some time with my club pro and we worked on correcting the problems with my swing, but the slice kept creeping back. We decided to work our way around with shafts and I eventually found myself getting best results with the TP 55 stiff shaft.

I believe I can get one of these for around $100.00, but perhaps there is a much better option to me. Heck, if I'm going to spend money upgrading just the shaft then I might as well make it count. As well as what shaft you recommend, where is a good place to get one on-line?

I hit the ball about 240-260 and have a mid-to-high 90 swing speed.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys.

So, you're saying your best results were with the Blur TP in stiff flex? If that's the case then I'd start doing some research online, and looking at shafts that weigh around that 55 gram weight. A shaft that I immediately thought of, one, b/c it is in your weight range, and two, b/c it's affordable is the MP5 from UST Mamiya.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MLP5W/UST_Mamiya/MicroLite_MP5_Series_Wood_Shaft

Can someone clear up the difference between the Ti and the TP fairway wood?

Ti is titanium, lighter and smaller head I believe.

Ti is titanium, lighter and smaller head I believe.

Also a Ti face increases the spring on the face for higher distances. That being said, the spring level isn't always the same so the distance boost can be a bit inconsistent on the level it gives.

So, you're saying your best results were with the Blur TP in stiff flex? If that's the case then I'd start doing some research online, and looking at shafts that weigh around that 55 gram weight. A shaft that I immediately thought of, one, b/c it is in your weight range, and two, b/c it's affordable is the MP5 from UST Mamiya.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MLP5W/UST_Mamiya/MicroLite_MP5_Series_Wood_Shaft
That's a fantastic start. Thanks.

Yes, I had the best results with a low weight (55 grams) TP stiff...I believe that is the Blur.

That Mamiya is a good shaft? How easy should it be for a fitter to put that together with my existing R11?

I hit both of these. LOVED the driver. Hated the fairway. The turf interaction was strange for me.

That's a fantastic start. Thanks.

Yes, I had the best results with a low weight (55 grams) TP stiff...I believe that is the Blur.

That Mamiya is a good shaft? How easy should it be for a fitter to put that together with my existing R11?

Should be very easy for a fitter assuming they have the R11 shaft adaptor

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/4998W/UST_Mamiya/Proforce_V2_Tour_Flight_Wood_Shaft_(.350)

This one appears similar, though higher weight. I'm really out of my element with this...any further help is appreciated.

Why not go and get fitted or go with the shaft that your Pro recommended?

Well it's been about 5 rounds since i added the 14g weight to my R11 driver. At first I couldn't get control of the thing I was hitting slices and even hooking the ball at the range. It's amazing that an extra 4grams made the club feel so much heavier. After 1 round and a few range sessions things started to click. On good shots I've noticed my ball flying higher with a more boring trajectory compared to the 10 g weight where it looked like my ball would just fly high and then drop from the sky. I am also seeing more roll from my drives.

But the reason I added the extra 4g to the heel was for consistency. I've noticed my slice has slowly faded away and my ball flight is more consistent. I've actually developed some beautiful left to right ball flight that only cuts over about 5 yards. On poor shots with my driver I find that I'm pushing the ball right rather than slicing the ball. I'll take it, considering my slices before were extremley dramatic. After getting over the initial weight shock this extra 4g weight addition has proved to help my game and driving confidence.

My last round I used the driver more than any other club from the tee. I missed a few fairways but only by a yard or so so was very happy with the performance. My stock shot is a fade and I am playing for it with the R11. The best drive I hit was on a par 5 with the wind coming from the right. I aimed down the right hand side and hit it dead straight. The ball wasn't affected by the wind in the slightest. I ended up just off the fairway in the first cut but was more than happy with the result.

People say that this driver isn't very forgiving on misshits, I have to disagree, I have hit a few from the heel and they have still gone out to around 250 yards and been in play for me, something that wouldn't have happened with my previous driver.

I also find that I am teeing the ball down lower than usual, this is something that I am going to experiment with to see how it affects the height of the ball flight

I also find that I am teeing the ball down lower than usual, this is something that I am going to experiment with to see how it affects the height of the ball flight

I have found that if I tee the ball lower I get a more boring flight path. Before I would tee the ball higher and had no real control over the ball. Teeing the ball lower allows me to pick and choose the kind of shots I make.

I got my R11 TP 15.5 wood on the course today, finally!!! This thing is a beauty. I switched from the Titleist 906f2 which I found to be a great club, but I was looking for something a bit different after playing it for so long.

On the range it traveled a bit lower than I am used to from a 3 wood, but I have a feeling it had a lot to do with just warming up. Each shot I took was a bit higher and a bit longer.

On the course I used it 3 times.
:: Off the tee from 330, I found myself with only 80 yards left to the green. It had a slight draw which I usually hit with a 3 wood. Great ball flight, nice and high, with a soft landing.
:: Off the deck from about 265 (second shot of a par 5) with a mediocre lie, the ball launched off the ground a bit right but really hung on. Left me only about 20 yards to the green in the fairway.
:: Off the tee from 370, I was anticipating my standard draw but ended up hitting a fantastic and straight shot.

In short, this club is SWEET! Love the look when standing over the ball and love the feedback it gives after striking the ball. GO GET ONE!!!

I got my R11 TP 15.5 wood on the course today, finally!!! This thing is a beauty. I switched from the Titleist 906f2 which I found to be a great club, but I was looking for something a bit different after playing it for so long.

On the range it traveled a bit lower than I am used to from a 3 wood, but I have a feeling it had a lot to do with just warming up. Each shot I took was a bit higher and a bit longer.

On the course I used it 3 times.
:: Off the tee from 330, I found myself with only 80 yards left to the green. It had a slight draw which I usually hit with a 3 wood. Great ball flight, nice and high, with a soft landing.
:: Off the deck from about 265 (second shot of a par 5) with a mediocre lie, the ball launched off the ground a bit right but really hung on. Left me only about 20 yards to the green in the fairway.
:: Off the tee from 370, I was anticipating my standard draw but ended up hitting a fantastic and straight shot.

In short, this club is SWEET! Love the look when standing over the ball and love the feedback it gives after striking the ball. GO GET ONE!!!

How did you like this club off the tee compared to your titleist. I've been interesting in a few fairways, the R11, Titleist 910FD, and Ping K15

Back