TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

R11 Confusion

R11 Confusion

So I was able to pick up a R11 at Dicks on Sunday for the super sale price of $199. Took it to GG to get it set up to me. I walked in and the TM rep. was there and was the one who set me up. Now a little background on me I normally hit my drives with a hard fade or sometimes slice. So I tell him that is my normal ball flight. I take a few soft swings to get warmed up and then let it rip a few times, he said are you sure you hit a fade and or slice the ball cause every shot you have hit is a nice draw. I tell him I'm very confused seeing it as I have never hit a draw in my life. So we make a few adjustments in the loft to get more carry and I leave a happy camper who is now able to hit drives with a draw to it. Forward to today at the range 60 balls and not one draw but a horrible slice some times a fade.

My question is how is this possible to hit a fade/slice your whole life and then one day hit a draw to the very next day back to slicing/fade????

Sorry for the long post!!

If it was inside for the fitting...computer.

Im goign to merge this with the R11 thread.

Insideon the launch monitor cant get a true acurrate line. plus it always seems that way when you have someoen trained to fix and help you thts when you hit it perfect, as soon as your on the course or the range back to normal..ive been there alot

If it was inside for the fitting...computer.

Exactly. The only way to tell your true ball flight is to go to a range. Simulators are good for measuring launch angle, swing speed, ball speed, things like that. Not so much for ball flight.

When i hit in the simulator at GG, it always shows a slight push left with a small fade. The more I draw the ball on the monitor, the worse it gets. I quit looking at the ball flight and focus on numbers.

By any chance was it set up for a draw before you got it, Maybe the guys at Dicks were playing with the setting and never set it back to neutral before you got it ???

Or not enough of a warm up

Yeah monitors aren't great for ball flight

I went to this golf simulator with monitors over the winter and on one of the screens it would give me the weirdest results. Went straight for about 3/4 of the flight before just diving off to the left. I had never hit a shot that looked like that before and have never hit a shot that looked like that after so I'm pretty sure it was caused by the monitor.

When i hit on the monitors in the store i hit it dead straight or a tad bit of a draw. When im on the range or hitting live, it's right back to the slice. It was the exact same when i tried out the TM clubs. On the monitor and tuned they were perfect. Take it straight to a live session and not even close. I have however gotten my swing down a lot better and rarely slice and tuning the club certainly does help out more now.

Nope it was at neutral settings, I guess im so confused cause any other time hitting on a monitor it showed my correct ball flight.

I think the best way to get fit is go to a place that has a range and trackman. That is the best way to truly know what your "real" numbers are. Not only do you get the trackman numbers you also get to see real ball flight. I was fitted for my driver, irons, and 2 hybrid like this and it's helped me game exponentially.

R11 3 Wood

R11 3 Wood

I liked the look of it in the golf shop the other day. Does anyone play it and what do you like about it.

I have been playing the R11 TP 3 wood for most of the year and it's my favorite club in my bag, if you get the right shaft fitting and loft, you can crush it like I have been, I have the R11 TP with Fujikura TP Blur 70 14* that was set to 15* and the extra loft has helped me launch it from the deck as easily as my R11s 5 wood, and I haven't played a better 3 wood since-I've played several in the last 2 years (cobra, callaway, taylormade etc)

How about off of the tee. Does it go too high if you tee it up?

I played an 11 and now sometimes an 11s. Tee it low and watch it go. If you set your loft to lower and have a shaft fit for your desired ball flight, you ought ot be ok. I played with a rip beta and now with a Diamana K. I can work the ball high or low with a lot of ease. generally it is mid launch with a mid/high apex, for me

Thanks guys, sounds like I will have to give it a try.

I was in love with my old Adams Tight Lies until I got the R11. I had tried several other 3 woods but kept going back to the Adams. Not now the R11 is firmly in the bag.

How about off of the tee. Does it go too high if you tee it up?

not at all, it's fine, most other fairways I played were 15-15.5 so the 15 was perfect. I actually had all the control and accuracy I wanted with my R11 3 wood. On the first tee shot of the day, I hit my 3 wood 270 straight down the middle, the hole was a downhill hole so it rolled way more than normal.

So I've been playing the R11 TP driver for the last year. I got fitted for the Blur TP 65 shaft because of my smooth swing and I have been hitting it straight and long and consistent.I set the loft of the head at 11* and I've been hitting it really well since.

I owned the Burner Superfast before which was supposed to be longer, and more forgiving than the R11 but the I could never hit the burner like the r11. Although I've tried the R11s and RBZ numerous times in the launch monitors and demo days, I still keep the R11 because the smaller head looks better for me.

I then bought the R11 TP 3 wood and an R11s fairway wood (and to mention the R11 rescue too) which in my opinion are the same thing (and not to mention I got the R11 rescue too) And I hit them consistently every time.

I like my R11 driver but I love my R11 3 and 5 metal. Both are like hitting the ball with a sledgehammer. Makes the par 5's where I usually play reachable in 2 on most days. I won't hesitate to pull the 3 wood in a shorter par 4 either. You can almost place the ball where you want with it.
I was a little erratic with the driver at times this year but since I got my tee height straitened out things have looked a lot more consistent in terms of ball flight.

Now to workout why I am hitting pull hooks with my hybrids all of a sudden. Maybe Santa will bring an R11 Hybrid for Christmas.

I like my R11 driver but I love my R11 3 and 5 metal. Both are like hitting the ball with a sledgehammer. Makes the par 5's where I usually play reachable in 2 on most days. I won't hesitate to pull the 3 wood in a shorter par 4 either. You can almost place the ball where you want with it.
I was a little erratic with the driver at times this year but since I got my tee height straitened out things have looked a lot more consistent in terms of ball flight.

Now to workout why I am hitting pull hooks with my hybrids all of a sudden. Maybe Santa will bring an R11 Hybrid for Christmas.

I was hitting hooks when I was playing with the Mashie and the R11 rescue cleared that up for me.

I never hesitate to pull my R11 3 wood, ever it's amazing and reliable and the extra loft has really helped me from the deck!

I was hitting hooks when I was playing with the Mashie and the R11 rescue cleared that up for me.

I never hesitate to pull my R11 3 wood, ever it's amazing and reliable and the extra loft has really helped me from the deck!

I had a guy asking about mine during a round so on the 9th hole (par 5) I let him hit it. He said he could never hit off the deck. He hit it about 230, up over the hill, and chipped up to 5 feet - easy birdie.

I can't imagine that the R11S fairway clubs could be any better....

I had a guy asking about mine during a round so on the 9th hole (par 5) I let him hit it. He said he could never hit off the deck. He hit it about 230, up over the hill, and chipped up to 5 feet - easy birdie.

I can't imagine that the R11S fairway clubs could be any better....

My R11s and R11 fairway are exactly the same as far as performance, with the same shaft, and specs they perform exactly the same for me, I only got the R11s because the dealer gave me a great deal on it after trade in-and he didn't have any R11 fairways besides the Ti which I don't really like:(

I just realized that I really fell for the white head marketing hype haha because all of my woods are white.

The reason I'm playing the R11 woods is because they were a really good match for my swing and I've been able to play them consistently from the fairway and off the tee, and I really enjoy seeing the club head through my swing

Back