TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I understand what you're saying. The more I think about it, I really only take full swings with my PW and likewise with my AW. I do use the AW for chipping from time to time though. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how the process goes with your PW+AW and if you do any side by side stuff........I'll have to make my choice the first week of March when I order my clubs. So I'm going to leave it in your capable hands to help with my decision.....no pressure buddy!!

From what little bit I've done as a comparison in the past, the distances are pretty much identical between the two clubs (as they should be with the same lofts) and I didn't notice anything siginificant from an accuracy or consistency standpoint, so it is mainly just a personal preference between the R11s and the SCORs. If I was still playing the Burner 2.0s, I would probably prefer the SCORs from a consistency perspective, but the R11s really excel in that area to me.

I'll let you know though if I have any further thoughts as I get back out to the range though.

From what little bit I've done as a comparison in the past, the distances are pretty much identical between the two clubs (as they should be with the same lofts) and I didn't notice anything siginificant from an accuracy or consistency standpoint, so it is mainly just a personal preference between the R11s and the SCORs. If I was still playing the Burner 2.0s, I would probably prefer the SCORs from a consistency perspective, but the R11s really excel in that area to me.

I'll let you know though if I have any further thoughts as I get back out to the range though.

Sounds good......thanks!

P95, I just wanted to let you know that I did not receive the AW for my testing, and that's why I am not commenting too much on the subject. I think you're asking some good questions though!

P95, I just wanted to let you know that I did not receive the AW for my testing, and that's why I am not commenting too much on the subject. I think you're asking some good questions though!

Thanks TC.......it will work itself out with the help of THP for sure!

Bought the R11 irons 4 thru sw. I really got stoked reading all the reviews here. I went for a fitting at Wdwin Watts yesterday. The 6 irons i hit with the KBS shaft was sweet. The teh swing tester suggested I needed projectx 6.0 and one above it, but when I hit that shaft it just didn't feel nowhare as good as the KBS. Getting the playing fever since it will be in the mid to high 60's here in Memphis! Thanks to the testers here.

Welcome to the club...Good salesman never misses an oppurtunity to upsale. The KBS are a great fit for these irons, enjoy
Bought the R11 irons 4 thru sw. I really got stoked reading all the reviews here. I went for a fitting at Wdwin Watts yesterday. The 6 irons i hit with the KBS shaft was sweet. The teh swing tester suggested I needed projectx 6.0 and one above it, but when I hit that shaft it just didn't feel nowhare as good as the KBS. Getting the playing fever since it will be in the mid to high 60's here in Memphis! Thanks to the testers here.

Congrats. I wonder how successful the R11 irons have been for TaylorMade.

That's great news and congrats on your purchase. I agree with you when comparing the feel between those shafts. I think the stock KBS' are a nice fit for these irons. I hope they treat you well man and that some good scores follow!

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 1/20/12
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-Maxfli Revelutions
Testing Conditions- Partly Cloudy 20*
Location- Royal Manchester Golf Links

Well Finally got out for my first round in 2012 and although i was very nervous about playing during my swing change i just had to get out and play a couple holes....
After having the 2 guys working in the pro shop look at me like i was nuts this morning i made my way to the first tee box where i attempted to put a tee into the ground with no success. So i got a lot of use of my R11s today... i hit them off the tee box about 1/4 of the time and 3/4 of the time i was using my R11 16* hybrid which was money today... that being said i only played from the White or Senior tees depending on where the tee boxes were, which measured about 5900 yards. I gotta say although my swing change has really made my golf game very inconsistent lately. I was pleased with the way i played today. With my old swing i could just play my fade everytime and try to go pin seeking. but today i had to just go for the center of most of the greens cause it was like hitting onto a concrete slab. that being said i hit 7 GIR and i prob hit another 4 that rolled off and 1 or 2 that i was aiming short and they just didn't bounce up like i had hoped they would. I was really happy with the way the R11s performed i can honestly say i lost about 20 yards per iron today and was seeing a pretty bad slice on about 1/4 of my shots, but im pretty sure its due to my swing change more than anything else but playing with $5 a box balls and the weather conditions im sure didnt help. I was really excited about the good shots that i hit that i thought were on good plane and felt good. honestly there weren't many maybe 5-10 but im struggling with the changes that im trying to make and its gonna take a lot of time. but i loved the new ball flight i was seeing it was lower than my old swing and especially at this course where the wind is always a factor it was nice to see the lower ball flight, yet knowing that when the greens aren't frozen solid that i would be sticking the shots with little roll out after. Like i said i thought they performed great today for everything thats going on with my swing right now and the weather conditions today. i honestly thought i was gonna quit at 9 or before then due to what i was expecting with my swing but after 9 i had only lost 1 ball which was on my first swing of the day. so i ended up playing a full 18 and shot a 85 which i was very happy with. i really could tell the forgiveness of the irons today were one of the main reasons i didn't quit... its a tight links style course so you need to hit fairways and can't go long on many of the holes on your second shot i just played smart golf today and tried to swing easy and remember my new swing and like i said i couldn't have been happier with the results. I really see myself keeping these long term and really getting a great feel for these after i get everything straightened out with my swing. pretty excited about having a set of irons that im really happy with and don't feel like i have to look for something thats better or the next big thing.

20 degrees??? Man that is truely cabin fever. Nice writeup. Can't wait for my R11's to come in. BUT i will not go out if it less than 50!!

20 degrees??? Man that is truely cabin fever. Nice writeup. Can't wait for my R11's to come in. BUT i will not go out if it less than 50!!

i think you'll be very pleased with them.... i have had cabin fever, i think because im changing so much and its hard to tell how many steps back i've taken when all you do is hit into a net every week. i like to see whats going on, ive been dying to get out to see but scared to go out for the same reason. I was really worried cause these perform like a players iron but really have the forgiveness of a GI iron also. TM really hit it out of the park with these irons... they are exactly what i need right now for my game. couldn't be happier.

Buck 20* is almost 2 clubs by itself. With those temps and cold balls I would guess at least 2 clubs compared to normal temps. I played today but it was 40 not 20 and I was about 1 1/2 clubs short. I can't wait for my R11's to get here.

Earl

Went to GS and hit these and a few other irons and I really liked them. They are definitely on my list of sets to test out more extensively when the RBZ and Mashies are released.

Buckjob... you are nuts! great write up, and props for playing on a frozen course.

Just got my new R11's with the golf pride new decade grips! Countdown 3 hours to hit them!!
IMG_0397.jpg

Buck you are a true trooper. You know its cold when? I'm positive that your enhanced fade was due to operator error and not the clubs. I have yet to see a great deal of movement with the R11s on flush shots. Even on miss hits I see more right to left movmeent than I do on left to right. Any fades I have played are pretty tight unless I get it riding the wind. Keep up the good work with the lessons and you'll be fine come outing time.

Hey Tad do you think there might be a price drop on these irons soon with the RBZ's coming out?

Nice work on the blue ndmc! I do not think they will drop in price. I believe that the RBZ irons are priced less than the R11 which are competitively priced IMO.

Really like the blue grips. Looking forward to hearing what you think about them. They are still in my bag at the moment.

I played the other day in some pretty windy conditions and noticed something with these clubs that I actually made myself lock up for this review. As with any club, if you hoist the ball into a down wind breeze you will get extra yardage. One may be two clubs, depending on the strength of the breeze. Now turn that club around into the breeze and you almost always lose 1 to 1.5 clubs. It seems to be that way no matter the breeze. now this is for full shots only that I experience this drastic loss of distance. If I play under the wind it really is a truer distance. I believe TC pointed this out in one of his reviews, take two more clubs into the breeze. I mention it because I've never experieced such drastic distance changes. I am used to one club each direction unless the wind is very strong, then I gage.

I was able to flight some of my shot quit nicely both into and down wind. The more I play the greater the experience is with these clubs. For those that have just purchased, it will take some getting used to, all that they have to offer. For those on the fence, you will not be disappointed.

Hey Tad do you think there might be a price drop on these irons soon with the RBZ's coming out?

You know I'm not sure, but I will ask

You know I'm not sure, but I will ask

Who are the Blind9 members on here to ask about pricing? I want to get some info on these irons from them. Thanks!

I played the other day in some pretty windy conditions and noticed something with these clubs that I actually made myself lock up for this review. As with any club, if you hoist the ball into a down wind breeze you will get extra yardage. One may be two clubs, depending on the strength of the breeze. Now turn that club around into the breeze and you almost always lose 1 to 1.5 clubs. It seems to be that way no matter the breeze. now this is for full shots only that I experience this drastic loss of distance. If I play under the wind it really is a truer distance. I believe TC pointed this out in one of his reviews, take two more clubs into the breeze. I mention it because I've never experieced such drastic distance changes. I am used to one club each direction unless the wind is very strong, then I gage.

I was able to flight some of my shot quit nicely both into and down wind. The more I play the greater the experience is with these clubs. For those that have just purchased, it will take some getting used to, all that they have to offer. For those on the fence, you will not be disappointed.

good info Tad... when i played the other day i just had a good feel for what clubs i should use even though my distances were way off from where they should be and the weather was windy and cold.... i really like the consistency of these clubs again the distances are usually spot on so you can get a good feel for what clubs you should use on different shots. Good Stuff.

Cheers to all the R11 iron testers. I pulled the trigger on a set.

Cheers to all the R11 iron testers. I pulled the trigger on a set.

Pulled the trigger on a set of R11 irons 4-PW today. I have never really been a fan of TaylorMade (always loved me some Titleist action) but after reading all the reviews of the TaylorMade R11’s irons I owed it to myself to at least try them. So thanks to TC, OEM Kevin, Buckjob, Tadashi and 2Shoes(and other THPer’s) in the R11 iron testing thread for their honest and all round great reviews. I also purchased the R11S Fairway metal to go with my R11S driver as I absolutely love that Phenom shaft.

I don’t believe this… “I’m turning into a TaylorMade fanboy”. Haha. 2 weeks and they should be ready for pickup. I got them fit to my specs which haven’t changed in the last 5 years (this surprised me as my swing has changed a bit) which are half inch longer and 1*up. I also had the TT DG S300 installed which suited the flight and feel I like to see from my irons.

Back