TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Congrats ripper! They will treat you very well and the best thing you did was to get them fit to you.

Thanks bro, I know you and the guys preach getting properly fit and I really kept that in mind. I didnt want to buy anything before having a fitting.

I just picked up my R11s today and havemt had the chance to use them yet, but have swung them around my hotel room. My first reaction is compared to my HB3s, these things are LIGHT! I wasnt totally expecting that, I guess I didnt know how heavy the HB3s were, but the difference is impressive. They look really sharp with the red grips. I will be playing tomorrow and will give some more feedback afterwards.

First time on course today with these. I have said all but this, they are sticking around for the year!

Congrats Ripper on the new sticks can't wait to hear your feedback. Mark glad to heart that you'll be gaming the r-11's I feel the same way.

Congrats Ripper. I went to GS again and hit these. Love them every time.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 2/02/12- 2/03/12
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-Maxfli Revelutions
Testing Conditions- Sunny 45*- Sunny and Windy 35*
Location- Mainland Golf Course - Twin Pond Golf Course

I got to get out for the last 2 days to play 2 rounds and i have some good thoughts on the R11s. Ended up shooting a 76 yesterday and a 82 today..... The big thing i noticed was the distance loss i have been losing 10-20 yards i know some of it has to do with the swing change im doing cause i am still getting good distance on some of my shots but some are just not as long and the cold weather i know is playing another big part in the distance loss.... Heres the good news about all this, these clubs are so consistent and accurate that i feel very confident figuring out what club i need to hit for almost all of my shots now. Even with the distance loss and all the different lies, pin placements, wind, weather, and such on the course, i can pick a club that will give me the best chance to make the shot i need to make to get that all important GIR. Todays course wasn't terribly long but a couple times i clubbed up 2 clubs from what i normally would hit and i still made nice shots with those clubs. I have gained so much confidence even when its lacking during my swing change with these clubs. The forgiveness is another thing that has really shown through lately for me with the irons. I have always been a great ball striker and made good contact but lately with me swinging on the proper plane it has taken me some time to adjust and i am hitting off the hosel and toe more than ever and the great thing is i'm not seeing horrible shots. I'm still slicing or fading more than i would like and i may lose some distance but at least the shots i mishit are in places were i still can try to scramble and save par. I have been slicing the ball more and more lately which is what my golftec instructor said is gonna be my miss for a while, but again its not so bad that i can't usually chip the next shot close to the cup. I really didn't see just how much forgiveness that these clubs are till recently when i really started getting into the thick of things with this swing change. But thats just another thing i can add that i have experienced with these clubs that really stand out now. Another big thing that i have been amazed with is my 1/2 and 3/4 shots with my AW the last 2 days i have put myself within 15' almost every time with these shots i spent a lot of time practicing these shots over the summer and boy is it paying off now. The AW in my bag is still by far my favorite club its just so great for so many shots, and although i've been messing around with my 588 wedge for my chipping a lot lately the AW is still the #1 club i grab from my bag. GIR are still up i had 8 today and 7 yesterday and although that isn't the best, with these the weather, wind, and frozen greens haven't been the easiest to hit and hold lately. Another thing i realized is i am getting a more penetrating ball flight when i have a good shot. i also had this before with my old swing but i scooped the ball a lot and now when i do hit it properly and make good contact its cutting through the wind more and not getting caught up when i hit my higher lofted irons. Its nice seeing the results of my hard work with these irons and knowing that i haven't tapped their full potential yet. I dunno when ill get this whole swing change down and although id like to see it happen this year some time, i have slowly realized that these things take time, but i know one thing these irons are gonna be with me the entire way. I couldn't be happier with them than i have been the last 2 days, when i'm still making great shots even though i don't feel completely comfortable with my swing right now.

Would there be a "noticeable" difference between my R7's and R11's?

Thanks guys.

Would there be a "noticeable" difference between my R7's and R11's?

Thanks guys.

i only had the R7 xds but they are prob more accurate and consistent than those. I couldn't tell you about distance but id think theyd be similar prob even longer than the R7s.

I just picked up my R11s today and havemt had the chance to use them yet, but have swung them around my hotel room. My first reaction is compared to my HB3s, these things are LIGHT! I wasnt totally expecting that, I guess I didnt know how heavy the HB3s were, but the difference is impressive. They look really sharp with the red grips. I will be playing tomorrow and will give some more feedback afterwards.

First time on course today with these. I have said all but this, they are sticking around for the year!

Congrats on the new irons guys and hit em well! Ripper I will be looking for you to be shooting lights out for Team Nicklaus coming this May :thumb:

Buck -- Short but precise is not a bad thing. Good work buddy :clapp:

Nice Buck!! Saw Tadashi's R11's this weekend and they are sharp looking! Hope they treat you well

Custom fitting for these at the beginning of January set me up with an order for 4-PW,AW,SW 1in long 2 deg upright and DG R300s to try to keep a stronger trajectory. On placing the order I was told that I'd have to wait 3 weeks for them to be made and shipped from TM. One week later, a phone call from the pro shop and they're in! I guess that at that time of year they were not receiving as many orders.

After nearly a month with them I have to say I'm impressed. Great feedback from what is essentially a CB and consistently good contact on every strike. Will report back after a few drags round the course.

Straw that is great to hear. You mention R300 for stronger trajectory, are you speaking of a flatter mid flight traj? Looking forward to your feedback

February 6, 2012
Stevens Park Golf, Dallas
Upper 50s, partly sunny and 5-10 mph breeze

Played a THP round of golf, that's a
round made up of all THP forum members. As usual we all feel into place like we were old pals. I was treated to some down home Texas hospitality.
The course was dormant and dry with plenty of elevation changes. The greens on the course were hard and sandy rolling about 9.5.
I knew Texas golf offered up hard greens so my mind set was to play to the front of the greens and allow the ball to release back...that was the plan! First of all I'm not sure if it was the hard dry conditions or the new ball in had in play (B330RX '11 version) but my yardages were off. I was consistently 10 yards long. I can say that the ball stopped quickly but it was 10yds off.
Once this was figured out on the back I dialed in my distance a little better. My direction was something entirely different. My miss was left so a slight pull. With a pull I would expect a lower hard trajectory. Not the case, I still had the high planner I have come to appreciate. This makes me want to get my lie angles checked. I've looked at my swing and I don't see anything that indicates a pull or OTT. We shall see...
Back to the review...the R11s when they did hit the greens stopped quickly. I was impressed since they have so much distance and never really had been put to the test in dry conditions. Length + stopping power = precision golf.
Still impressed with these irons and I am so glad so many have found there way into a set, enjoy your golf!

You mention R300 for stronger trajectory, are you speaking of a flatter mid flight traj?

My current swing (and my 6'6" height) seem to contribute towards giving my shots a lot of backspin and height. The KBS stock shafts brought my launch angle up a couple of degrees higher than the DGs. Switching shafts added 10 yards to the 6 iron.

I was seeing flatter overall trajectory in flight, but the flight path was still the correct 'shape' with good launch and land gradients for a 6 iron, and increased distance.

Thanks for the the info Straw, you're a tall fella...

I have been able to play 18 holes with my new R11's. Full irons are great, and I don't seem to have to swing as hard. I am hitting the irons more online and a little further. MY problem is around the green, 30 yards and in. I have the a wedge and s wedge. I chunked at least 7-10 shots, easy little chips. Now it was wet when I played but I was still miffed. With the drill that the Golf Tec gave on here yesterday I will get better. I do like these clubs.

I have been able to play 18 holes with my new R11's. Full irons are great, and I don't seem to have to swing as hard. I am hitting the irons more online and a little further. MY problem is around the green, 30 yards and in. I have the a wedge and s wedge. I chunked at least 7-10 shots, easy little chips. Now it was wet when I played but I was still miffed. With the drill that the Golf Tec gave on here yesterday I will get better. I do like these clubs.
I'm glad you like them, they just keep getting better.if you are chunking your irons I would venture to say that you are decelerating on your chips. These are the easiest clubs to chip and play half shots with, imo

I'm glad you like them, they just keep getting better.if you are chunking your irons I would venture to say that you are decelerating on your chips. These are the easiest clubs to chip and play half shots with, imo

Tad hit that right on the head! i saw the area Taylormade Rep today at golftec and was talking to him for a few minutes first thing he did was take my R11 out and ask how i liked them... I told him how much i loved them....

My current swing (and my 6'6" height) seem to contribute towards giving my shots a lot of backspin and height. The KBS stock shafts brought my launch angle up a couple of degrees higher than the DGs. Switching shafts added 10 yards to the 6 iron.

I was seeing flatter overall trajectory in flight, but the flight path was still the correct 'shape' with good launch and land gradients for a 6 iron, and increased distance.

which shafts are you using? I want a set of R11 irons, and I'm also a rather tall individual (6'5). Even with the clubs I'm hitting now, with a solid hit, they're going sky high.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 2/20/12
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-Bridgestone B330 and B330-S
Testing Conditions- Sunny 40*
Location- Turtle Creek Golf Course

Got out to play today and i figured id give the R11 Thread some love since it looked lonely. Played my first round in a while where the course was in decent shape (not frozen or soaking wet) Turtle Creek is a Links course with pretty tight fairways with high grass lining both sides usually and a fair amount of sand and some water but not to much. Well seeing as my normal driver is back at taylormade right now getting fixed or replaced. i had to use my Super Tri which i can't swing full speed without slicing or pulling so i didn't leave myself in great positions today for my irons shots unfortunately. i only hit 4/14 fairways but i managed to hit 10/18 GIR. Ended up shooting a 77 or +5 so not a bad round. I was seeing a lower ball flight today in the beginning of my round i think due to some swing change stuff ive been working on which was good because it was a little windy today. but i got the nice ball flight ive come accustomed to by the 3rd hole. I had a nice little baby fade on most shots today and some shots were straight as an arrow. i actually think i only had one bad iron shot all day today i had a weird lie and i sliced it pretty bad and made a bogey from there. But i can tell my swing change is coming around. I feel like im still a step behind even though i played well today. i still don't have the consistency i had last year but im seeing signs that im improving with some really great shots today. Again with my swing change ive tried to slow down my tempo and swing to make sure im making a proper swing path and holding my hinge and all that stuff and i really think with the KBS shafts that this is the best way to hit these irons. i may actually look at changing to a different KBS shaft if my swing speed and tempo get back to where it was before. And ive finally come to terms with my distance loss. although not any more than 5-10 yards at times distance was always the key to my game now im feeling more confident over the longer shots knowing i can still try to stick them close. These irons just give me such confidence its really a great feeling. I think thats the one thing the Burner 2.0s lacked for me although they were def longer i couldn't always go for the pin and know i was gonna knock it close or at least hit the green. I had some shots that flew past the green by 10 yards and i was like how the heck did that happen. now the consistency of the irons just makes me want to get up and hit the ball and not over think everything. i had a lot of longer shots than what i am normally used to at the course today due to my driver situation and it was nice knocking good shots from 150-200 out instead of using my AW on a lot of holes. although the AW once again had the shot of the day. 110 yard par 3 slightly downhill water on the left sand on the right and a 2 tiered green with the pin in the front. Hit a laser shot right behind the hole by 15' and had it roll back about 7' right in line with the pin. the ball was rolling right down the pin line from where i was standing was really cool to see. love the fact that i can get good spin with the AW and PW with these irons too. Anyway another great round with these and im not pondering changing these irons at all anytime soon. The know there job and just go out and get it done round after round.

Well I finally got my new R11's Sat and was able to hit them on the range for a little while. Was very happy with the few shots I was able to hit, late in the day when I picked them up. I got the Graphite shafts and was told that was the hold up getting them. Of coarse we got 3 inches of snow Sunday, first real snow of the winter, so it will be later in the week before I can get them out and actually play. I am really looking forward to hitting these on the course and getting an idea of yardage compared to my MX300's.

Earl

I have been trying several different iron sets over the past few weeks and think i may have settled on the R11's (this forum has been a great help in this process). Thinking of the 4i -9i which would complement my wedge set up nicely.

What i'm trying to decide is how to fill my gap between RBZ 3fw (15*) and the R11 4i (21*). Considering the RBZ 3hybrid (19*) or the R11 3i (19*). I have never had a hybrid in my bag so its proving a tough decision. Any thoughts from those with more experience?

Buck keep swinging man it will click, I promise
@ret glad you are getting used to the irons. As more time passes by your swings with them will become 2nd nature
@oove glad to see this thread aided in your decision. Hybrids are a personal choice. There are a lot of option and the RBZ is one of them. Don't limit yourself, hit a few and take the one that feels the best.

I have been trying several different iron sets over the past few weeks and think i may have settled on the R11's (this forum has been a great help in this process). Thinking of the 4i -9i which would complement my wedge set up nicely.

What i'm trying to decide is how to fill my gap between RBZ 3fw (15*) and the R11 4i (21*). Considering the RBZ 3hybrid (19*) or the R11 3i (19*). I have never had a hybrid in my bag so its proving a tough decision. Any thoughts from those with more experience?

i agree with Tad... i have a 16* R11 hybrid and i love it for when i can't hit driver for whatever reason and its one of my most consistent clubs. I thought about getting a 3 hybrid but honestly theres no reason for me to put that in my bag right now with the distances im getting on my irons.

I always carried a 5 wood to fill in between my 3 wood and 4 iron but the last few years I have used a 17* hybrid. I have found the hybrid much more versatile than the 5 wood and much better from the rough. For me, with my slow SS, it's my 200 yd club and I can choke down 1 inch and it's good for 190 yds. I just got the new Adams a12 this year to replace my Mizuno CLK and I am very happy with it. You should check out all the new hybrids and give one a try they are a great club.

Earl

Back