Taylormade R9 Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been playing these for a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately I cannot post the pictures yet, as we cannot do that until the tour truck has access to them and the reps around the country see them. Let me start with a few things.

1. They are not forged and neither are the TP versions. All the rumors around the net saying they are, are flat out false!

2. They are NOT the images seen on other sites such as golf spy, or others. They look different and those were Japan issue clubs.

Now that it is out of the way, let me get into my thoughts on the actual clubs.

1. Looks - As good as I have seen out of TM. Many know that I was kind of critical of the R7 line. I did not like the way they looked at all and found them way too busy and technical. Plus they did not feel right to me, but more on that later. These look spectacular in my opinion. Plain and sleek with some nice color where needed. Regular R9 irons are of similar size to the R7 in terms of top line and sole in my view. Cavity is great looking and simple.

2. Feel - This is something I was definitely not a fan of with the R7 line. I thought they felt clicky and hard. Not the case at all. Extremely soft. Comparable to the MX-200s and 4DX Pros that I have raved about all year in terms of the way they felt. Great feedback given on mis-hits despite them being a GI iron. The TP version will no doubt have even more of this. (feedback)

3. Forgiveness - The iron really shines here. Toe or heel mis-hits barely even affected the club, however at the same time all the feedback was there.

4. Distance - Not as long as the Burner irons, but few things are. Comparable to the CG7 Tours that I am playing no in terms of distance.

5. Ball striking - This is where the irons really shine. Smooth feel as mentioned with solid distance. You can work the ball either way with no issues and have the added forgiveness that they provide. They do have the new grooves in them to conform, but I have had no issues with that

6. Overall - Not ready for a review yet obviously, but right now they are in the top 3 irons I have hit all of this year. Great look, great feel, solid forgiveness makes a wonderful total package.

You will start hearing reports of these clubs in a couple of weeks after the tour truck gets them and the reps get to see them. Then we can post a ton of images for you to take a look at. I'm guessing they will come to market on 11/1/09, but we will have a full review for you well before then. If you have any questions, fire away.

EDIT: We have combined two threads here and the pictures are in this thread.

Last edited:
Sweet! can't wait to see some pics!

• Admin
I wish I could post them now. Those that have seen them have said the same thing as me. They just really like the look.

• Admin
Hopefully not crazy MO. My gut feeling is the same as the R7's debuted for.

I might have to consider upgrading. :banana::blob:

• Admin
Only a couple of more months MO. I want them really bad myself.

I saw JB wielding these beasts when we played last weekend, they look awesome! Regrettably I wasn't able to hit them, they're for those that stand on the "wrong" side of the ball. Regarding performance, he was making pretty solid shots throughout the day, I suppose we can equate those to the clubs.. ofcourse, I'm hitting the Burners and mine weren't exactly solid.. :)

Overall, this sucks! I just got some brand new sticks and now they're going to come out with these!? Have they no mercy?

Played really well with them today. Liking them more and more each time.

I have been playing these for a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately I cannot post the pictures yet, as we cannot do that until the tour truck has access to them and the reps around the country see them. Let me start with a few things.

:worship:

JB,
Sounds nice! Are you able to give us any ideas on specs? Are the lofts and lengths nuked like the Burners (24* 4 iron) or are they more normal (26* 4 iron).

Also, what shaft are you trying these with?

SBC,
I am not able to give you the specs but the shafts are KBS Tour. More info should be able to be given out in the next 4-5 days.

Is Rory Sabbatini playing these?

:D :D

Thanks JB. I completely understand. Sounds very interesting and promising. I was seriously considering the 09 Burners because of the lofts and the idea that a 5-GW would be ideal (I like the idea of additional spacing between irons so I can add a gap wedge). But I hit the 6 iron indoors with the stock shaft and didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure whether it was hitting indoors, the ultra-light weight shaft, the extra long shaft, the clubhead, or (probably) some combination. But I found myself hitting everything towards the heel. Depending on the specs of the R9s, I will definitely give them a try.

I look forward to sharing all the info as soon as I can

Yeah that made me laugh as well. We got rained out today as we prepared for our groove test with these (new grooves), regular grooves, and no grooves, but I love the look so much of these that they may have a permanent spot in my bag if the price is not too high.

Good thing I read this, I have a buddy ready to pick up the burners this week and I should mention this so he looks at these before deciding.

thanks for the info. How do they feel compared to the x-22?

Totally different than the X-22s. I enjoyed those clubs and when we reviewed them they were a good GI iron, still are. These offer far more in feel than the X-22s do in my opinion.

If your friend is looking for new clubs next week, these will not be available for a few months.

Just a quick question JB what are the top three irons you have hit this year?

Tough call, but I would say in no particular order, here are the top 5.

Mizuno MX-200
Nickent 4DX Pro
Cleveland CG7 Tour
Taylormade R9
Nike Split Cavity

Tough call, but I would say in no particular order, here are the top 5.

Mizuno MX-200
Nickent 4DX Pro
Cleveland CG7 Tour
Taylormade R9
Nike Split Cavity

What about the best GI irons? Or does that include those?

That includes those.

Back