Taylormade R9 Irons

R9tp or AP2?? I have a demo day tomorrow in my area and have narrowed my choice down to these two. Want to choose tomorrow. Any thoughts?

They are both great irons, but I preferred the feel and the look of the R9 tp.

Thanks, my irons are my weakest part of my game. Which one did you think was more forgiving?

Neither are all that forgiving. The slight edge to the R9s because the longer irons are easiest to hit. If your irons are the weakest part of your game, have you considered something with more forgiveness?

I am about a 9 handicap, so my iron game isn't that bad. I find the other more forgiving clubs too bulky. I am looking for a players club with more forgiveness, and very much like those two. Just trying to narrow it down to fit my game.

I spent a good hour and a half at a local golf club comparing the R9's and the burners. plus getting measured at the same time.

I just used the 6 irons and was hitting both clubs between 160-170yds, however unlike some other posters on this thread I was hitting the R9's consistently at a height of 75ft and the Burners at 60ft. I liked the feel of the R9's a lot more than the Burners and after ignoring my head went with my heart and ordered the R9's.

I got stand length shafts (I'm 6'2") KBC
2° upright
Mid size grips with 2 layers of tape

Hopefully they will arrive by tomorrow when I am playing with a friend which will be a good test drive (excuse the pun) before a competition on Saturday.

R9s or G15 irons -- thoughts?

R9s or G15 irons -- thoughts?

Any thoughts as between R9s versus Ping G15s? Have the R7s in graphite but hit the long irons thin with too much draw despite proper fittings. Tried the R9s and G15s in steel at a demo day and liked them both -- but can't decide. Thoughts?

Any thoughts as between R9s versus Ping G15s? Have the R7s in graphite but hit the long irons thin with too much draw despite proper fittings. Tried the R9s and G15s in steel at a demo day and liked them both -- but can't decide. Thoughts?

The R9s feel so much better to me than both the R7 and G15. They also have a more penetrating ball flight, more distance and more workability.

The R9s feel so much better to me than both the R7 and G15. They also have a more penetrating ball flight, more distance and more workability.

+1. I can't speak of the G15 irons, but I hated the R7 irons.

TaylorMade R9 Irons - Long Term Review

TaylorMade R9 Irons - Long Term Review

SethO said:
+1. I can't speak of the G15 irons, but I hated the R7 irons.

+1. I hated the feel of the R7's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Testing

Recent Testing

I just found this website and forum - great info. For background, I have been playing Callaway x-14 for quite a while and my current index is between 9 and 10. Looking to upgrade irons and initially wanted to move towards a "players" iron. Really like the look of MP 58, but also tested MX300, AP2, R9 and R9tp. After repeating hitting I just could not hit the MP58 consistently the same distance as any of the other clubs - and the R9 was simply longer. On average at least 10 to 15 yards. The same was true of the R9tp, but not as dramatically. After dropping the 58 out of the mix, I really wanted to like the TP (just from looks alone and the belief I needed this type of "workable" club. The MX300 had great feel, but again it was simply shorter with just about every swing. Same was true of the AP2.

When hit perfectly, the forged clubs felt the best - the problem was my swing is just not consistent enough - and probably wouldn't be in the near future.

The R9 - the initial "last" on my list is now at the top. The perfect swing are truly outstanding and the okay swings are pretty good. They are an leap beyond my X-14's.

I think, barring some last minute change of mind, will be ordering these clubs this week. Although I wanted something a little smaller and thinner, these clubs really seem to be the real deal.

Welcome to THP!

The R9s have a pretty good following around here. Several people have tested them and they never made it back out of the bag.
Best of luck with you search for some irons- this is certainly a good place to start that quest... be careful though, you'll turn into a club ho before you knew what hit you!

i have been fighting urges to buy some TM irons for some time now. I have a set of Mizuno blades that were great for my game 4 years ago, but with my limited play, I've relegated myself to a set of Bridgestone j33 irons. I am hugely in love with the feel of the r7 when striking the ball, and am generally satisfied with the way the club looks standing over the ball.

I have refused to actually swing the r9 irons in fear of buying them immediately after. I love the weight of the head when doing the standing "i'm just looking" half swing at the golf shop, although I am not a huge fan of the way the club is presented when standing over a ball... Seems a bit wider, and I guess I'm used to seeing sharp edges...

I was surprised to hear they aren't forged.

i have been fighting urges to buy some TM irons for some time now. I have a set of Mizuno blades that were great for my game 4 years ago, but with my limited play, I've relegated myself to a set of Bridgestone j33 irons. I am hugely in love with the feel of the r7 when striking the ball, and am generally satisfied with the way the club looks standing over the ball.

I have refused to actually swing the r9 irons in fear of buying them immediately after. I love the weight of the head when doing the standing "i'm just looking" half swing at the golf shop, although I am not a huge fan of the way the club is presented when standing over a ball... Seems a bit wider, and I guess I'm used to seeing sharp edges...

I was surprised to hear they aren't forged.

TM has not had a set of forged irons since the Rac MB's designed by Hoeffy.

If you make your way to the THP Outing this fall, you will be able to try them down there...hehe. Ironically we just gave away two sets on here for the TPC.

If you make your way to the THP Outing this fall, you will be able to try them down there...hehe. Ironically we just gave away two sets on here for the TPC.

I was rummaging through the contests thread and saw this...

...and then proceded to kick myself for not deciding to hunt for a golf forum sooner! Oh well, I am sure they are in great hands.

Well they have arrived, eventually! delay due to volcanic ash causing late delivery of parts from the US.

They look brilliant, even after the trauma of paying for them.

I left work early to get down to the GC was only able to play 4 holes as I had to get home. They felt so much nicer than my TM LT's rac and I immediately noticed I was hitting the ball straighter. Anyway I had par, par ,bogey, birdie, if only my meddle rounds started like this! I cannot wait to play a full round with them.

Has anybody out there hit the Taylor Made Burner 09 irons and the r9 Irons? Which one did you like better. Was thinking about upgrading to the r9 irons. The reviews seem amazing.

When I went for my fitting I tried both the R9's and the Burners my original idea was to buy the Burners. However after an hour of comparing the two with all the various different settings we tried, the R9's were obviously the better club for me. Better feel and flight, I stuck with a 6 iron during the fitting for consistency, length was the same 165-170yds, however the R9 was consistently reaching 75ft high whereas the Burner was at 60ft.

i am spent.. sheesh. hit about 350 balls today testing out a multitude of popular clubs (mostly b/c a grandma next to me an extra 150 range balls for me that her granddaughters had no interest in hitting). Also got fitted today and am going with a heavier shaft, the S300 Dynamic Gold (as compared to the KBS), +1/2 inch and up 2 degrees. (he opted to write this on a business card for me because he could tell I didn't even know what all this meant during the fitting!!! I'm new to purchasing clubs ... in this century!).

All 6 irons.
MX-200: buttery soft smooth. kinda too much forgiveness for me. or rather, too little feel. but gosh darn i hit that club well. if i was playing for money tomorrow I would strongly consider these GI clubs.

MP-52: Hit this yesterday and had thought it was too much club for me. Today was a completely different story. I hit it straight and I hit it well. Shorter distance as compared to most of the other clubs I hit, but still a very smooth, quality club.

Ping G15's: meh. liked them as compared to my old crappy irons, but they didn't stand out with the new trials. Too much forgiveness for me and simply not in love with the look. Same exact thing can be said about the Titlist I hit (forget the model.)

TaylorMade Burner: little too much loft for me. Very forgiving. too soft. i hit it well though.

TaylorMade r9s: This is what I'm leaning towards completely. Some DEFINITE forgiveness that I love, but not so much that it feels like the club is doing all the work.. Looks like a blade for the most part too which is pretty sexy, and I can tell where my mishits were. The club will even turn/shift from my grip on a mishit but somehow the ball still goes pretty straight and relatively far! All other clubs I was hitting nice and straight most of the time, but the R9 i was hitting straight and VERY long. my 6 iron was going about 210-215 when I got it good, and 190 sometimes even off the toe. Definitely more forgiving than the MP-52 for my swing, but I was still able to shape some fades and draws quite well. The guy that was fitting me was impressed considering I told him I was around an 18 handicap (he never seen me put!).

So right now the R9's are leading the charge.

Can anyone tell me more forgiving--but not the MOST forgiving--clubs to demo? I saw some Callaway X-20's in the shop for about half the price.. should i peak at those or continue down the path that I'm on?

Thanks all!

you're about to get a ton of recommended clubs coming your way lol and every club people tell you here really try to see if the shop has them so you can hit them, because people here know what they're talking about.. i have the r9 irons also but i have graphite shafts (what i have always played and will play, i just like the feel of it and im more comfortable over the ball, i should probably have steel since im 20 but i love graphite) the r9 irons treat me really well, i love them. they have forgiveness and when you hit one off the toe or heel you dont lose a lot of distance, very good clubs and your cant go wrong in getting them. There are also a lot of other irons out that are really good, callaway has the x24 irons that are suppose to be very good, (i think jb and oem kevin both are using them) but you really cant go wrong with the r9s, i havent heard a complaint about them yet and i dont have one at all since i have had them (a little over a month)

just try to hit as many irons as they will let you hit till you find one you like, let us know what you pick and post up some pictures to! good luck in finding a set! (sorry if i didnt help out)

I thought the G15's felt too heavy on the club head whereas the R9's felt a little bit more evenly weighted. I didn't really like the bulkiness of the Pings, but that is just personal preference.

you're about to get a ton of recommended clubs coming your way lol and every club people tell you here really try to see if the shop has them so you can hit them, because people here know what they're talking about.. i have the r9 irons also but i have graphite shafts (what i have always played and will play, i just like the feel of it and im more comfortable over the ball, i should probably have steel since im 20 but i love graphite) the r9 irons treat me really well, i love them. they have forgiveness and when you hit one off the toe or heel you dont lose a lot of distance, very good clubs and your cant go wrong in getting them. There are also a lot of other irons out that are really good, callaway has the x24 irons that are suppose to be very good, (i think jb and oem kevin both are using them) but you really cant go wrong with the r9s, i havent heard a complaint about them yet and i dont have one at all since i have had them (a little over a month)

just try to hit as many irons as they will let you hit till you find one you like, let us know what you pick and post up some pictures to! good luck in finding a set! (sorry if i didnt help out)

THanks bridges! No, that definitely helps. and thanks for the review links.

hey, check out this thread i started about my current clubs.. you'll get a good laugh!!
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?12266-Please-Help-What-s-this-junk-in-my...

I thought the G15's felt too heavy on the club head whereas the R9's felt a little bit more evenly weighted. I didn't really like the bulkiness of the Pings, but that is just personal preference.

see i like ping clubs, my very first set was some old pings so i have always liked them.. i havent hit the g15s yet but heard good things about them and many people seem to like them.. i dont think THP has done a review yet on them but they probably will eventually.. but its all preference. and just go with what u like and what feels the best.. also check out the mizuno mx-1000s they are suppose to be pretty similar to the r9s...

but dont get me wrong i love my r9s the most they just feel really good to me. i plan on getting them fit to me right now they are just standard length and lie, which seems to be working lol

Back