Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

Great review JB. How does the SuperTri compare to the R9 460 in forgivness, feel and distance?

Great review JB. How does the SuperTri compare to the R9 460 in forgivness, feel and distance?

For me or in general? Being that they have very different shafts, it will many times come down to personal preference. But for me, the SuperTri is longer. I have not noticed a huge difference in forgiveness, but it does have MWT if someone wants to use it.

Great review, JB.

I have had mine in play since early March. I had a brief "affair" with the TM Superfast but, returned to the forgiveness of the ST. The ST does respond very well to shaft change and has so much potential built into it with all of the adjustability.

For you guys looking to lower ball flight: Try putting equal weights in the toe and heel and a light weight in the back. Ex: 8-2-8. This combo does cut spin and helps lower flight, and does not add to the swing weight or create fade or draw bias. As stated by others opening up the head position ( R ) does lower the effective loft of the driver for lower launch.

To help deaden the sound, a little less tinny, try rubber bands, almost like a "o ring" or washer, on the moveable weights. I used the rubber bands left over from my son's braces. Finally found a good use for them. hehe

If all this adjustability is not your thing, the R9 460 is a great alterative. No moveable weights but, the Flight Control Technology (FCT) allows for quick change of the shaft. Making it so MUCH easier to find the right shaft (for the moment!). It was funny when I was trying the Superfast, I had to pull the shaft and put in the new one and that took some of the fun out of it.

Thought I would bump this one up for the weekend crew that might have missed the review.

JB, how did you like this one, in comparison to the VR

I preferred it by a LOT! I like the VR driver but to me the SuperTri offers superior looks, sound, and feel. Many liked the VR at the Outing in the Spring and the review on that will be up next week.

I preferred it by a LOT! I like the VR driver but to me the SuperTri offers superior looks, sound, and feel. Many liked the VR at the Outing in the Spring and the review on that will be up next week.

Slightly off topic, but with the VR review, will we see one for the Machspeed in the future as well JB?

Great review, JB. That is my dream club right there.

Merged the two major SuperTri threads.

I'm afraid the Evolver would get knocked out of the bag with a quickness if I even see one of these in person, just on looks alone.

So far I have had 3 ranges sessions and two rounds with my supertri... Still going strong.

I had an instance last time I played where it was 280 to a pond and I played (what I thought was) a 85% driver. It sounded pure off the club face and I found that it had rolled into the rough right in front of the pond. I don't do it as often as I like, but when you catch this club pure it is very long. Otherwise, even with my very poor swing as of late, it is still producing consistent distances and spreads.

Another good example. I was a walking single (and the last person on the course) so I played multiple balls off of each tee. 4 drives, 4 balls within 8 yards distance of each other and a 10 yard horizontal spread. They were still off to the right, but VERY close to each other. Gives me hope.

I'll give another full update after this week is up (two more range sessions, and at least one round). I am still worried that my shaft is too stiff but I can't argue with the results I am getting so I just have to block that thought out... at least until september where I can *hopefully* try out some Miyazaki shafts!

I'm afraid the Evolver would get knocked out of the bag with a quickness if I even see one of these in person, just on looks alone.

It would MO. It's a suhweet driver.

Another good example. I was a walking single (and the last person on the course) so I played multiple balls off of each tee. 4 drives, 4 balls within 8 yards distance of each other and a 10 yard horizontal spread. They were still off to the right, but VERY close to each other. Gives me hope.

Have you been tinkering with the weights and lie at all to sort out your shot? I know the THP crew did a fantastic job talking about the ease of adjustability of the SuperTri in the review, but I am curious to hear how you've found the experience..

Have you been tinkering with the weights and lie at all to sort out your shot? I know the THP crew did a fantastic job talking about the ease of adjustability of the SuperTri in the review, but I am curious to hear how you've found the experience..

I have really had mixed results- Ill post this again since it is probably buried in this thread somewhere.

Attached is my spread shot for the only times I have "changed" my weighting. I feel like I lost accuracy when I changed the weights around. Since then I have tried to move the hostel/weight around and in general always end up in the same place (N- back weighted). Most of my struggles are swing related and instead of using my driver to fix my swing, I am actually trying to fix my swing. Once I do that (to some extent) I'll be a much more reliable judge about the tinkering.

At some point I would love to pick up 8, 8, 2 weights (instead of 16, 1, 1) but that will be a little ways down the road.

Does that help? If you want- I can do a dispersion chart for several different weight settings next time I am out. Just let me know what settings you want to see. I found a really neat chart online that I am using to make my determinations. I'll post that here in a second.

For a 9.5* R9

Spoiler
R SETTING
FACE ANGLE 2* OPEN
EFFECTIVE LOFT 8.5*
LIE ANGLE 59*

HEEL WEIGHTED - NEUTRAL BIAS, -850 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.5* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 15 YARD FADE, -450 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.8* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 35 YARD FADE, -950 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.8* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

N/R SETTING
FACE ANGLE 1* OPEN
EFFECTIVE LOFT 9.0*
LIE ANGLE 58.5*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 6 YARD DRAW BIAS, -650 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.2* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 9 YARD FADE BIAS, -250 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.5* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 29 YARD FADE BIAS, -750 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.5* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

NU/R SETTING
FACE ANGLE 1* OPEN
EFFECTIVE LOFT 9.0*
LIE ANGLE 59.5*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 8 YARD DRAW BIAS, -600 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.2* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 7 YARD FADE, -200 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.4* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 27 YARD FADE, -700 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.4* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

N SETTING
FACE ANGLE SQUARE
EFFECTIVE LOFT 9.5*
LIE ANGLE 58*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 18 YARD DRAW, -400 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.7* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 3 YARD DRAW, 0 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 17 YARD FADE, -500 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -1.0* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

NU SETTING
FACE ANGLE SQUARE
EFFECTIVE LOFT 9.5*
LIE ANGLE 60*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 22 YARD DRAW BIAS, -300 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.3* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 7 YARD DRAW, +100 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.04* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 13 YARD FADE, -400 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.6* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

N/L SETTING
FACE ANGLE 1* CLOSED
EFFECTIVE LOFT 10.0*
LIE ANGLE 59.5*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 32 YARD DRAW BIAS, -100 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.1* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 17 YARD DRAW, +300 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.8* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 3 YARD FADE, -200 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.2* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

NU/L SETTING
FACE ANGLE 1* CLOSED
EFFECTIVE LOFT 10.0*
LIE ANGLE 58.5*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 34 YARD DRAW BIAS, -50 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.2* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 19 YARD DRAW, +350 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.9* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 1 YARD FADE, -150 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, -0.1* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

L SETTING
FACE ANGLE 2* CLOSED
EFFECTIVE LOFT 10.5*
LIE ANGLE 59*

HEEL WEIGHTED - 40 YARD DRAW BIAS, +150 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.5* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
BACK WEIGHTED - 25 YARD DRAW, +550 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +1.2* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS
TOE WEIGHTED - 5 YARD DRAW, +50 RPM BACKSPIN BIAS, +0.2* LAUNCH ANGLE BIAS

I have really had mixed results- Ill post this again since it is probably buried in this thread somewhere.

Attached is my spread shot for the only times I have "changed" my weighting. I feel like I lost accuracy when I changed the weights around. Since then I have tried to move the hostel/weight around and in general always end up in the same place (N- back weighted). Most of my struggles are swing related and instead of using my driver to fix my swing, I am actually trying to fix my swing. Once I do that (to some extent) I'll be a much more reliable judge about the tinkering.

Does that help?

That's really helpful, thanks! My driver progression over the past decade has been Titleist 975d 2000-2006 -->Titleist 905t 2006-present. Needless to say, I am insanely loyal to the clubs I play, however, I feel like I am getting to the point where a new driver and maybe even new brand may be needed... This whole adjusting head + weights thing is crazy foreign for a Titleist grip it and rip it simpleton like me haha! I recently hit my dad's R9, and even the drives off the toe had great distance to them. I was blown away.

That's really helpful, thanks! My driver progression over the past decade has been Titleist 975d 2000-2006 -->Titleist 905t 2006-present. Needless to say, I am insanely loyal to the clubs I play, however, I feel like I am getting to the point where a new driver and maybe even new brand may be needed... This whole adjusting head + weights thing is crazy foreign for a Titleist grip it and rip it simpleton like me haha! I recently hit my dad's R9, and even the drives off the toe had great distance to them. I was blown away.

You and I get along well then- I play this club as a grip it and rip it for now- I did upgrade the shaft which I feel was well worth it. Otherwise- all of my tinkering ultimately ends up back at neutral. The one advantage I would like to make use of eventually is the ability to take one "miss" out of the equation... so I know if I start it right side of the fairway I KNOW at worst it will stay there or better yet drift back left

I was cleaning my clubs today and noticed either a nick or crack on the face of my driver (Evolver), is it a bad thing that I'm hoping it's cracked so I can justify buying a new SuperTri? LMAO

I was cleaning my clubs today and noticed either a nick or crack on the face of my driver (Evolver), is it a bad thing that I'm hoping it's cracked so I can justify buying a new SuperTri? LMAO

Ive bought a whole new set for less then that. haha.

Back