Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

JB (sorry to keep bugging you)

I am off tonight to get a new driver... playing again on thursday and I WILL NOT hit 3 off the deck for another round.
When I am looking at the ST, it appears that you can order the TP ST which has your choice of several shafts. The Miyazaki isn't listed as one (as well it shouldnt, being an expensive shaft). I was under the impression that you had to have "special" shafts for the ST but this must not be the case. Is there any special procedure for shafting these drivers?

If I am going to get forced into buying a new driver, I might as well go the whole way with a nice shaft that fits me too.

JB (sorry to keep bugging you)

I am off tonight to get a new driver... playing again on thursday and I WILL NOT hit 3 off the deck for another round.
When I am looking at the ST, it appears that you can order the TP ST which has your choice of several shafts. The Miyazaki isn't listed as one (as well it shouldnt, being an expensive shaft). I was under the impression that you had to have "special" shafts for the ST but this must not be the case. Is there any special procedure for shafting these drivers?

If I am going to get forced into buying a new driver, I might as well go the whole way with a nice shaft that fits me too.

I contacted TM customer service and sent my shaft in to them and within 10 days had it back with the tip on it. THe cost was very little.

Im in the hunt for a new driver, hope to splash out within a month or 2.

The 2 im looking at are the Supertri and the Superfast.

The Supertri would appear most desireable, as it can be adjusted, one can add new shafts and spring some new life into it for some time to come, so it has that longevity i guess. However, it is a bit pricey, but i can afford it with a little push :)

I have the Superfast fairway wood, and I love it.. So im greatly considering the driver to match, and from what i have read it has some very favourable reviews, particularly as its long and forgiving.I am a bit concerned tho about the length of the shaft, it may be too long for me.. maybe. Im 5-10.

But how do these 2 clubs match up?? (length, forgiveness, feel)

Im going to try these out as soon as possible, but my local shop has no demo clubs available yet for me to try.. so Im trying to do my homework first.

Over the last 18 months I have tested and used just about every new driver that has come out on the market. With no exceptions, I always went back to my original R9 driver. From the minute I tried it out, it was in my bag (Dec 2008) and I have never even thought of switching.

After this year's DSO (Driver Shoot Out), 2 drivers stuck out to me and those were the Ping G15 and the Diablo Edge. Both of which finished 1 & 2 by the testers and during my testing were both outstanding drivers. I tested both and liked them very much. Good solid clubs that provide excellent distance, feel, and forgiveness.

After doing some shaft testings, I found a shaft for my game that works perfectly in just about every driver I tried it in and that was the Miyazaki Blue. I like the black a lot as well, but the blue just gives me a little more height which I like. Still mid-launch, but a little higher than the black.

At the THP FL Golf Outing, I got a chance to hit the Diablo Edge with the very shaft I love thanks to OEM Kevin and fell in love. It feels great, forgiving, and quite long. Thanks to Kevin for making a trade with me and putting this driver in my hands. However I still felt as though I was leaving a few yards out on the course with the Diablo Edge. I compared it to the G15 and the Callaway was about 5 yards longer for me, so that was good. Then I compared it with my old R9 and once again the Callaway was about 5 yards longer. All was good and then I started tested another driver for review.

I grabbed the Taylormade SuperTri (I had previously hit it a few times) and put my Miyazaki Blue shaft in it and went to the range. The monitor does not lie. I am getting 5-7 yards on average more than the Callaway and I am not sacrificing any feel or forgiveness in my opinion. Took them both out on the course this afternoon and on #17 which is a straight par 4, just hit 10 balls with each driver (Diablo Edge & SuperTri). Both are incredibly forgiving and the dispersion was darn close, but the distance was noticably longer on almost every drive.

So for now, the Taylormade SuperTri is in the bag and the Callaway Diablo Edge that is shafted up with the amazing Miyazaki Blue shaft is on the bench. To me there are few drivers out there that look as good as this one and now that I am reviewing it and seeing the performance first hand, I cannot stay away.

The original R9 was in my bag for a long time (close to 18 months), and when I finally changed I thought it would be for another 18 months. The Diablo Edge just did not make the cut for me compared to the SuperTri. It is a great driver, but the numbers for my swing show that the SuperTri belongs in the bag. Both are great drivers, but the Taylormade won out for me.

854666989_VdF5v-M.jpg

854666876_pyo2j-M.jpg

The Winner Looking Pretty
Spoiler
854667285_yiCqo-XL.jpg

Great looking stick there JB! You going to have one like this in October for me to give a test drive?

I do not know. I should have mine, but I do not know what companies will send.

So... I bought a ST tonight :)
I tried it with all of the TP shafts and my favorite combinations were:

1) 9.5 S-Voodoo NV6
2) 9.5 S-Motore F1 (65)
3) 9.5 S-Matrix HD6

As I was in the store hitting these, a kind gentleman came in to sell back his SuperTri TP 9.5 S-Motore F1 (65) after 2 rounds and replace it with a superdeep. I walked over to the counter, picked up the club- asked how much... and that was that. Saved myself a fair bit of change by doing that.

My launch numbers were a bit surprising... Launch angles of 16-18, Spin rates 3000-3400. I liked the lower trajectory/spin of the Voodoo, but ultimately it was only netting me ~2 yards more and not worth the price difference to get it new.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows the effects of the different FCT and MWT on effective loft, left/right yards, and spin?
I know I saw one once but I can't find it now.

Thanks for the (continued) help!

Last edited:

1) 9.5 S-Voodoo NV6
2) 9.5 S-Motore F1 (65)
3) 9.5 S-Matrix HD6

As I was in the store hitting these, a kind gentleman came in to sell back his R9 TP 9.5 S-Motore F1 (65) after 2 rounds and replace it with a superdeep. I walked over to the counter, picked up the club- asked how much... and that was that. Saved myself a fair bit of change by doing that.

My launch numbers were a bit surprising... Launch angles of 16-18, Spin rates 3000-3400. I liked the lower trajectory/spin of the Voodoo, but ultimately it was only netting me ~2 yards more and not worth the price difference to get it new.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows the effects of the different FCT and MWT on effective loft, left/right yards, and spin?

I have the VooDoo NV6 X-Flex in my FT Tour and I love the shaft.. took a few swings for me to get used to the weight and length of it after playing with a shaft that was about 20 grams lighter and an inch longer, but now I love it and feel a lot more confident standing over the ball with a shorter / stiffer shaft. Also had the launch/spin rate I was looking for like you mentioned.

I have the VooDoo NV6 X-Flex in my FT Tour and I love the shaft.. took a few swings for me to get used to the weight and length of it after playing with a shaft that was about 20 grams lighter and an inch longer, but now I love it and feel a lot more confident standing over the ball with a shorter / stiffer shaft. Also had the launch/spin rate I was looking for like you mentioned.

My swing speeds on my two most recent trips to a launch monitor has decreased by a surprising amount... down from 105-108 to 101-103. I can't even consider X flex's, and the F1 was stiff enough to give me pause before I bought it in a "S" flex. I am going through some swing changes and hope that once they settle in I'll pick back up my 4-5 mph again

My swing speeds on my two most recent trips to a launch monitor has decreased by a surprising amount... down from 105-108 to 101-103. I can't even consider X flex's, and the F1 was stiff enough to give me pause before I bought it in a "S" flex. I am going through some swing changes and hope that once they settle in I'll pick back up my 4-5 mph again

My swing speed was 113-115 everytime I have been tested, but I have always played stiff shafts in all of my clubs. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that I got fitted for shafts and ended up putting an X in my driver and 3 wood, and if I used the 5 wood in my bag more than once a round, I might have gotten it reshafted too. I could hit my old driver in stiff flex, just didn't have the control I wanted with it and my usual shot was a pretty large (10-15 yard) draw. If I increased my tempo any or tried to put any more muscle into it, it was a hook machine and always put me OB. I am carrying the FT Tour about 280 and get pretty good roll out of it, and that distance is perfectly fine with me -- especially if I can control it.

so i went for my lesson and club fitting today - i hit the ping g15, nike straightfit(think that was it, the latest nike), callaway diablo edge, taylormade superfast, taylormade supertri, taylormade r9 460, cleveland hibore xxx

I was set up at golftec - hit 5 balls with each club -

after all the reviews i had read on the ping - i fully expected to just murder it straight - for some reason i was pushing it the most right. the superfast obviuosly had the most clubhead speed- but it also had the most room for error IMO, numbers dont lie - and every category had the supertri #1. Launch angle - perfect 13*, clubhead speed right around 105, backspin was around 2800 (little high , but lowest of all drivers), i was hitting it consistently 245 and it was rolling to 260.

truly a great club!

1) 9.5 S-Voodoo NV6
2) 9.5 S-Motore F1 (65)
3) 9.5 S-Matrix HD6

As I was in the store hitting these, a kind gentleman came in to sell back his R9 TP 9.5 S-Motore F1 (65) after 2 rounds and replace it with a superdeep. I walked over to the counter, picked up the club- asked how much... and that was that. Saved myself a fair bit of change by doing that.

Im confused, was the guy bringing back his R9 TP or a SuperTri?

Supertri- My bad... (edited now). The Driver has an R9 head cover and I must have gotten confused.

Supertri- My bad... (edited now). The Driver has an R9 head cover and I must have gotten confused.

No issues, i was just turned all around this morning. Congrats on the new club.

Playing 3 times this week and weekend and am excited to put the new driver in play. Also reviewing some new gear, so that should kill whatever momentum I get from the new driver. hehe

Re: Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

Re: Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

So you might shoot a 79??? Lol

Playing 3 times this week and weekend and am excited to put the new driver in play. Also reviewing some new gear, so that should kill whatever momentum I get from the new driver. hehe

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

So you might shoot a 79??? Lol

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

It seems that is the number each week or right around there. I need to get back to the mid 70s but it seems I am right around that 79 mark with a few really bad rounds thrown in here and there. I am hoping that the extra distance off the tee gets me there with this baby.

Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

JB said:

I'll gladly review some of that for you! Just forward it on and I'll make sure you get top literary quality!

(100% serious) :)

I'll gladly review some of that for you! Just forward it on and I'll make sure you get top literary quality!

(100% serious) :)

Apreciate the offer RX. I am eagerly looking forward to your feedback with the new driver.

Good lord, JB, I dont know how, or why, you keep a legit handicap with all that new equipment you review.

Checked out the ST pretty well today. I want one. Dang it JB, I want to blame you but your undercover, lol. $399 and then a shaft just don't get it, let's talk turkey!

THP Fall Outing is not too far away Duey. You can use mine then.

Good lord, JB, I dont know how, or why, you keep a legit handicap with all that new equipment you review.

I give him credit for being legit and counting those rounds towards his handicap!

sigh...I need to get down to FL again so I can play that many times in a week. Playing NE courses after being spoiled by FL courses just isn't the same. Damn trees!

I give him credit for being legit and counting those rounds towards his handicap!

having seen JB hit quite a few balls, he's got plenty of game. i'd say that if he were just playing one set, he'd be close to scratch. he's just automatic from what i witnessed.

having seen JB hit quite a few balls, he's got plenty of game. i'd say that if he were just playing one set, he'd be close to scratch. he's just automatic from what i witnessed.

Yeah he is. And he does it with no practice swings and plays at warp speed! Like a machine!!

Back