Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

Yeah he is. And he does it with no practice swings and plays at warp speed! Like a machine!!

He plays super fast! Did you notice he makes you play faster? I did.

Yeah he is. And he does it with no practice swings and plays at warp speed! Like a machine!!

a multi-media, golfing machine at that

what up kev

He sure does. Look what happened when thanks1974 and I were left alone with osahar on day two, we finished way behind you guys!

What up TC!!!

He sure does. Look what happened when thanks1974 and I were left alone with osahar on day two, we finished way behind you guys!
What up TC!!!

really?

not much, how you doin?

good bro, finally had a night off. Played 18 today, was a good day!

Re: Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

Re: Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

tcalloway1 said:
really?

not much, how you doin?

+1. I was worried about not keeping up with him but we did ok I think. Day 2 which was normal speed seemed slow compared to Day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think they were about 3 holes ahead of us on day two lol

+1. I was worried about not keeping up with him but we did ok I think. Day 2 which was normal speed seemed slow compared to Day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-1. i wasn't there for day 2, dammit!

+1 for getting to hang out with you guys though.

+1 just cause i can.

Ok guys, my clinically insane approach to golf and how fast it should be played aside. Lets get this one back to the SuperTri. Thanks.

Ok guys, my clinically insane approach to golf and how fast it should be played aside. Lets get this one back to the SuperTri. Thanks.

sorry man, it seems as though it's always the same culprits.

good luck with the new stick, you shouldn't have any trouble taking advantage of that extra distance off the tee.

sorry man, it seems as though it's always the same culprits.

good luck with the new stick, you shouldn't have any trouble taking advantage of that extra distance off the tee.

No worries. None at all. I do play a little "quick". Maybe it will even be faster now that I am 10 yards further...hehe

My Super-Tri Mini-review
Background: Until last week I was playing an Adams XTD A3 which broke on the range. I went off to purchase a new driver and hit the Diablo Edge, Super-Tri, and VR. I very quickly settled on a Super-Tri and was hitting each of the TP shafts in stiff. I was having a lot of trouble keeping my launch angle down (18+ with a 9.5*) driver and got the best performance out of the heavier, low launching shafts. As I was making a decision a gentleman came in and sold back his ST in my loft and my 2nd choice shaft. I quickly purchased it and off I went.

These are the results of the first driving range testing.
I warmed up with my irons, trying to fix some swing flaws. With ~40 balls left I switched to driver and broke them into 4 sets of 10 to compare overall dispersion (vs what I know are my golfing tendencies). I played 10 balls N with back weighting, 2 sets of 10 balls with N and heel weight, and went back for another round with N and back weighting. I wasn't too adventurous because I felt my swing slipping in and out and I wanted to verify my results with a second run (and remove any nagging doubt I might have). I drew an invisible fairway down the range, went through a preshot routine similar to my course routine, and then classified each of my shots as playable vs not playable. Prior to this test, I would average 6 playable drives and 4 unplayable drives (I am only hitting 35% of my fairways this year)- all of my misses are right. The dispersion between playable balls was very large.

My first thought- Holy Distance Batman!
My A3 was LOOOOONG when I hit it right- but I lost a lot of distance on mishits (which were frequent). The longest shots with the ST were right on par with the longest A3s, but my shortest was only 15-20 yards shorter than my longest. Overall, my average distance improved considerably. I was carrying 240-ish with range rocks which is something I did very rarely previous to this driver.

View attachment 988

That is a visual of my dispersion between the various weights. As you can see, I had better distance and closer dispersion across the board with the ST, with N-Backweighted being more consistent than N-Heel weighted. Personally, I feel that is a HUGE difference when you consider the only major difference is the club that I am swinging.

I only have two minor complaints. When I was hitting the F1 in the monitor it felt a little stiffer than I was used to... but on the range I could really tell that it was almost to stiff for me. My SS is usually 103-107 and I think I am pushing the lower boundaries of being able to hit the club. It never crossed my mind to try it in a regular shaft and I would be very curious to see how that would preform for me.

That leads me to complaint #2. I went looking online for a used F1-reg shaft online and I can't find any. With how long the R9 TP has been on the market I thought there were would a large amount of used, good, shafts for sale and that just isnt the case. If you decide to get a TP ST, make sure you are 100% sold on the shaft because used replacements just aren't available.

My next step... continue to play with the lie/loft/weight settings and see if I can find the set up that gives me the best groupings. I'll update this thread again with my thoughts after I have a couple of rounds under my belt.

Cheers!
-Gus

(People that have R9s or TPs, what settings are you using and why?)

My driver is five years old and am thinking of getting a new one. However, I don't have access to a launch monitor or the ability to swap out shafts. In that case, how do you pick a driver?

My driver is five years old and am thinking of getting a new one. However, I don't have access to a launch monitor or the ability to swap out shafts. In that case, how do you pick a driver?

I might be mistaken, but I thought you recently switched to the 909D2 from Titleist?

A monitor is not a must to buy a new driver, I just happen to have one that I can base my choices on. Many golf stores and/or pro shops have one that they do not keep out but have access to. You can also hit up as many demo days as possible in one's area to hit as many clubs as possible.

I thought you were right outside the Boston area, but I may be wrong. If you would like I can make some calls to see if anything is in your area that might assist you.

This one is really firmly in my bag right now. I am loving the looks and enjoying the performance I am getting so far.

very nice review! Now i gotta go hit one just out of curiosity.

very nice review! Now i gotta go hit one just out of curiosity.

its worth it RW. It is firmly planted in my bag and I was not sure anything was going to replace my trusty R9.

sweet review of a sweet driver! that thing just screams awesomeness! from the looks, to the performance, everything you've described about it makes me want to try one. this is crazy, a little over a month ago taylormade was never really on my radar, now look at me, i'm dying to try the r9 irons, and i'm hoping that one of these will be at the outing. my how things change!

I can see why you switched. I hit this on Saturday at the Outing and it was sweet.

I had just happened to order a SuperTri last night, prior to this review. I have always told my golf buddy that I believe that TM had the best sounding drivers in golf. I was concerned that the adjustability would offer too much confusion to the mix. I viewed a video on the TM website that demoed how easy it was to use the FCT. My guess is that I would probably set it 1 or 2 degrees open or square, and there won't be a whole lot of tinkering. On the video, you tighten the screw that holds the shaft until you get "a click". The "click" sounded like something was breaking. Glad to know that a sleeve can be purchased from TM or elsewhere so you can easily change the shaft if needed.

I had just happened to order a SuperTri last night, prior to this review. I have always told my golf buddy that I believe that TM had the best sounding drivers in golf. I was concerned that the adjustability would offer too much confusion to the mix. I viewed a video on the TM website that demoed how easy it was to use the FCT. My guess is that I would probably set it 1 or 2 degrees open or square, and there won't be a whole lot of tinkering. On the video, you tighten the screw that holds the shaft until you get "a click". The "click" sounded like something was breaking. Glad to know that a sleeve can be purchased from TM or elsewhere so you can easily change the shaft if needed.

It is just your typical bolt click that you hear a lot with wrenches. You get used to it, and I have never seen one break or have a problem. I changed my shaft out for testing hundreds of times and moved the face for people close to a thousand times over the last 18 months. Not a single problem ever came up which is nice.

Great Review JB! You get the same feeling and results from this, as i do from the victory red. And I know as a club ho that it feels good to get something that really clicks. Glad you found'er JB.

LOVE my ST. Just traded for a Kai'li which I should have this weekend to test out. ST is without a doubt the best driver I've ever hit.

Great review JB! Sounds like a great club. Any chance I'll get to take a few swings with it in September?? :D

Back