TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

I'm pondering the 15 or the 17. Have a moderate swing speed. Want to use it primarily off the tee. Want to compliment it with the S2 19 or 22 hybrid. I hit my 4 iron 170. Obviously regular flex. Which loft combo makes the best sense: 15, 19, or 17, 22. 4 iron loft is 23.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

I can only give you my personal opinion here, but I have the 15* Stage 2 3W and Stage 2 19* hybrid. My next club is the 4i. I will say that a fitting would tell you what you would need to fill your yardages.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks afw, I am leaning the same way. Certainly the lofts of 4i, 3h, and 3w line up nicely. I was only a little concerned that I wouldn't hit the RBZ clubs high enough. I generally make good contact though.

These clubs produce nice ball flight for sure, but I think a fitting would let you find exactly what you want /need as far as carry and distance. The 3w has been fantastic four me. The 19*, not so much. The shaft is to soft for me. I just tried it on a whim. Thought it might work, but it is just not the right shaft. I should have done a fitting for this club myself.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Sounds like a stiff flex would have been better.

I found this link http://thesandtrap.com/a/rocketballz-shaft-flex-a-case-study which states that the actual shaft flexes for the rescues are softer than indicated. Granted the author was evaluating the original RBZ rescue, not the stage 2. Nevertheless, maybe it still holds true and it might make sense to get a stiff flex if you ordinarily play a regular.

I found this link http://thesandtrap.com/a/rocketballz-shaft-flex-a-case-study which states that the actual shaft flexes for the rescues are softer than indicated. Granted the author was evaluating the original RBZ rescue, not the stage 2. Nevertheless, maybe it still holds true and it might make sense to get a stiff flex if you ordinarily play a regular.

That does seem to be the case here. It is Way too soft for me to put a good seeing on every time. Really have to slow it down to produce a good shot. But the head is legit.

Shaft flex is all relative. There is no standard. In actuality, flex is relative to the other shafts in the line.

Glad to hear that blugold because I just ordered the S2 3 wood and 3 rescue both in regular flex.

Bought this 3W on a recommendation from this site. Its the stock stiff shaft. Yesterday at the course I hit my driver off the box and then this club to compare distances since they claim this club is so long. This is a 363 yard par 4. Hit them back to back with a bridgestone e7 golf ball. Both were very similar shot shapes, they landed just a short distance left to right of each other. As you will see from the picture the R1 landed in the fairway and only beat the 3W by just a few yards. I venture a guess that if it had hit the fairway they would be neck and neck. This left me 50 yards on the nose from the pin. If anyone has any doubts as to how far this club goes, don't. Its crazy long.

image_zps4ccf9386.jpeg

Bought this 3W on a recommendation from this site. Its the stock stiff shaft. Yesterday at the course I hit my driver off the box and then this club to compare distances since they claim this club is so long. This is a 363 yard par 4. Hit them back to back with a bridgestone e7 golf ball. Both were very similar shot shapes, they landed just a short distance left to right of each other. As you will see from the picture the R1 landed in the fairway and only beat the 3W by just a few yards. I venture a guess that if it had hit the fairway they would be neck and neck. This left me 50 yards on the nose from the pin. If anyone has any doubts as to how far this club goes, don't. Its crazy long.

image_zps4ccf9386.jpeg

Those are both impressive shots. That 3w is legit. I thought that it was going to get tested, then pulled from my bag upon completion, but it's still in there. I love this club.

I hit the 14.5 Tour with X Flex 70 shaft, I am finally getting better at hitting woods off the deck and I was able to elevate this club very easily.

This club is legit for distance, it goes almost as far as my driver, i'm sure the longer shaft helps it over most 3 woods.

Only issue i had was off the deck, wasn't a fan, R11S goes so much better of the deck for me.

Once I moved the ball back in my stance a little bit I'm hitting it so much better from the fairway. Hitting par5 from 240 out is fun to pull off once in a while.

I tried a few other current 3w's and this one is the best, stock shaft and all.

This brings back some fond memories of this smasher. Was way to long for a 3W, but was really fun to swing.

One thing I did notice is that the flex codes in the stock stiff were all over the place. Anywhere from just over regular to entry level Xstiff. I had 10-15 put on the machine and was quite surprised at how many differences in frequency there were. Never checked the regular shafts though. Easily a driver substitute in Branson last year when my driver broke the week before.

So after purging and not finding a better answer at golfsmith, the 3W has been back in the bag for me. Today was one of those days that I wonder why I thought about taking it out in the first place. Bailed me out twice today after poor tee shots. First one was about 235 out on a long par 4 after a drop. pushed it just a touch, but kept it on the green, ending about dead center. Had a long putt back but was able to two putt for bogie. Second time was on a par 5 where I sliced one out of play on the tee. Into the wind, I nailed a nice mid-high draw that left me at about 120 out. Another bogie. Not too shabby. No club is ever safe in my bag, but I'm glad I held on to this one! Was a practice round, so I didn't do it, but normally I have no problem bagging the driver when it's acting up as this 3W is long enough off the tee to get it done for me.

So after purging and not finding a better answer at golfsmith, the 3W has been back in the bag for me. Today was one of those days that I wonder why I thought about taking it out in the first place. Bailed me out twice today after poor tee shots. First one was about 235 out on a long par 4 after a drop. pushed it just a touch, but kept it on the green, ending about dead center. Had a long putt back but was able to two putt for bogie. Second time was on a par 5 where I sliced one out of play on the tee. Into the wind, I nailed a nice mid-high draw that left me at about 120 out. Another bogie. Not too shabby. No club is ever safe in my bag, but I'm glad I held on to this one! Was a practice round, so I didn't do it, but normally I have no problem bagging the driver when it's acting up as this 3W is long enough off the tee to get it done for me.

I loved the results i got with my stage 2 tour 3w thing was a cannon but the feel left something to be desired i am glad to hear yous is working well I still think about putting it back into the bag

I liked the stage 2 for a month or two. Something about it didn't totally appeal to me though. I wasn't sure if it was the graphics on the crown, the profile or what. But, I just couldn't fall in love with the club. It did provide a few magical moments however. Still, I think the original RBZ was a bit better in comparison.

I liked the stage 2 for a month or two. Something about it didn't totally appeal to me though. I wasn't sure if it was the graphics on the crown, the profile or what. But, I just couldn't fall in love with the club. It did provide a few magical moments however. Still, I think the original RBZ was a bit better in comparison.

I had the original too. Think they're both about the same distance wise but the stage 2 is more consistent laterally for me.

I had the original too. Think they're both about the same distance wise but the stage 2 is more consistent laterally for me.

I also found it easier to hit off the deck

Yeah I couldn't hit the original at all of the deck but the stage 2 is a good driver replacement and solid off the ground.

Yeah I couldn't hit the original at all of the deck but the stage 2 is a good driver replacement and solid off the ground.

I was the exact opposite. I was able to hammer the original off the deck and off the tee. I just couldn't get it going with the stage 2. Not saying that the stage 2 is a bad club, because it isn't. It just didn't work for me at the time. Could have been a myriad of things....most of which were probably me.

I had the RBZ Tour 3w original and could hit it off tee great but not a bit off the deck. Now I have the Stage 2 regular 3w and hit it great off of tee and ok off the deck. Probably 80% of my deck shots with it are decent. Below 50% with the original RBZ tour.

Back