TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

funkysi

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Saw these in person for the first time yesterday. The 770s are really compact and offer a lovely profile (to my eye). I like a players iron so these looked great. Same with the MC, another beautiful looking iron. Didn’t hit them but will be giving them a try soon. As others mentioned, the offset on the 770 becomes a little more noticeable in the shorter irons so a combo would be ideal. Can’t wait to give them a hit.

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
I've never been a Taylormade guy when it comes to irons, but good grief the 770s look good in hand. Like, WOW!

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
I picked up a set of these a couple weeks ago, and I’ve been really impressed. Like ArmyGolf said - it’s a great looking set of irons. As someone who really likes a progressive set, these check the boxes. The long irons are really easy to hit, and the short irons play more like your traditional “players” set.

They definitely are more demanding than the 790s - and that comes down to blade size/length. I tend to prefer a shorter blade size. My miss is usually due to face angle/face-to-path. I’ve hit a couple real low on the face and these absolutely let you know. But they still provide a good amount of help.

Definitely shorter than something like the Apex CF19, consistent with the lofts. Similar to the Ping i series I’ve played in the past - maybe with a bit more pop in the long irons. I’m in the middle of trying a few different iron sets, but I’ve been more consistent with these than my gamers (weirdly, especially in the long irons) and the T300s. But, that could come down to the KBS Tour shaft in them. That’s been an old standby for me that I got away from for a while, and I’m wondering if that was a mistake.

X.Man

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Got a last minute round In Today with the 770’s. First time in a long time that I am peeling wrapper off clubs as I need them. Lol. Hit some really solid iron shots with these today. I used the 4i off the tee a lot and saw some really good shots. Definitely higher launching that I’m used to in a 4i but that is welcomed. Hit a 4i into a long Par 3 and it took one hop and stopped. Not something i am used to with a 4i. Distances were maybe 5 or so yards longer than my 760’s, which allowed me to play to my regular distances adding that control! and they look DAMN GOOD in the bag! Excited to keep working with these

Last edited:

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
After hitting both again today, I'm leaning towards combo'ing the 770's and MB's, and skipping the MC's altogether. I ran through the sets quick close-ish to how I would do it, and I don't think it'll be a big problem. I had my own balls this time around too, and the numbers were good. They look great together too. I had them sitting in the demo bag like I would my own and I liked it.

Last edited:

jin_xianjun

i'm a junkie
Reaction score
Handicap
I might need some lead tape all around on my set

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
Got a last minute round In Today with the 770’s. First time in a long time that I am peeling wrapper off clubs as I need them. Lol. Hit some really solid iron shots with these today. I used the 4i off the tee a lot and saw some really good shots. Definitely higher launching that I’m used to in a 4i but that is welcomed. Hit a 4i into a long Par 3 and it took one hop and stopped. Not something i am used to with a 4i. Distances were maybe 5 or so yards longer than my 760’s, which allowed me to play to my regular distances adding that control! and they look DAMN GOOD in the bag! Excited to keep working with these
I’m not sure I’ve liked the look of an iron in the bag more than these in a while. It’s a nice combination of tech-forward and classic.

jin_xianjun

i'm a junkie
Reaction score
Handicap

GoldenBuff

Large landscape lover
Reaction score
Handicap
6-8
After hitting both again today, I'm leaning towards combo'ing the 770's and MB's, and skipping the MC's altogether. I ran through the sets quick close-ish to how I would do it, and I don't think it'll be a big problem. I had my own balls this time around too, and the numbers were good. They look great together too. I had them sitting in the demo bag like I would my own and I liked it.
Where do you think you would spit that combo?

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
Where do you think you would spit that combo?
It's hard to say exactly. In my other combo's I have redundancies/overlaps a bit, because I'm particular about that and it usually takes some figuring out. I always seem to creep deeper in. My honma blades I tend to combo between the 6 and 7, but stock they're a degree stronger than the p7mb's. I honestly feel comfortable enough with the spin on the p770 7i that I could take it weak and let off when need be, and the MB 8,9 and PW a little strong with a good 50* wedge. I never regret having the bladed 7i in my bag though. Ever. So maybe take the 770 5 to 26, the 6 to 30 and push an MB 7i to 33? I don't know. It should be interesting.

X.Man

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Aesthetically the 770 and the 7mb do pair really nice together! That’s where Mizuno nailed the looks of the MP20HMB and MB. With the Mizuno MMC and the TM 7MC in that middle slot. I’d figure the 2 middle sets would blend better looks wise from both companies but they don’t. It’s the HMB/MB and 770/P7MB that look the best together. Strictly talking looks here.

hedley_lamarr08

Reaction score
Handicap
I stumbled upon the p770 today so I gave it a hack. I haven't had the chance to hit the HMB, but this iron far and away feels better than the Ping i500. I came close to ordering a set. Hit the 921 Hot Metal today and really liked it as well. I didn't expect to like the p770 as much as I did, but it really has made me reconsider what I thought was a sure thing in the HMP.

Jollygreens

Reaction score
Handicap
I demo’d the 770’s for the second time today with many more balls hit this time. Man these are really good. Best size iron I have tried in forever.

Tried the Mizzy 921F side by side and the 770’s were more accurate for me.

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
I got to hit this line again today, and when we figure out what we're doing with our living arrangement in a week or two, I'm grabbing a 770/MB combo. The 770 are so fun to hit. They look and feel good, and are surprisingly consistent. And the MB's are just great. Really looking forward to figuring out an effective combo because they just look phenomenal together.

X.Man

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Hit some really good short iron shots with these today. Hit 6i on a 185yrd Par 3 over water that went just left of green. Didn’t hit it particularly well by still ended up a Good 180yrds. The forgives is definitely there. Oh and they don’t sound clickey. Here is a few well struck shots that you can here the sound pretty good.

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
20200928_093917.jpg

Just watched the new video of Matty hitting the 790 and 770 with equalized lofts and find this interesting. The big thing they talk about is the main thing that's drawn me to the 770. Feel. Noticably different with the 770. So people have joked that they're 790 'pros', and I think that's a pretty fair description.

Ian kind of describes exactly how I would combo them if I was someone who wanted to pair those two. I've actually thought about playing around with a 4 iron 790 in the 770/MB combo I want to do.

Last edited:

X.Man

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Got the irons on trackman today. The spin was spot on for what I thought they would be at. I wanted to see how the numbers on trackman were compared to the foresight GC2. Below is screen shot of 6i with Modus 120. My normal miss is to get too quick and and I end up pulling the ball and spin dropped off substantial to about 4900rpm. But I’ve seen that on just about any iron on my miss.

E361B3C1-6148-4B67-A87F-3A6EC4B334DE.jpeg

mancest

El Capitan del Norte
Reaction score
Handicap
did a fitting and was fully intending to buy nothing. Liked the JPX Forged, but then I hit the Mizuno MP20 and was super impressed (performance/looks/sound/feel) with the entire package but wasn't sure if I would spend the money to "upgrade" from my P790s.

Then the 770s came out and it was all over. Better launch, spin, carry and I prefered the feel over the mizunos. Not as soft, which is a good thing to me apparently. I have made some changes to my swing since I got fit for the 790s and the added spin on these equated to 14 yards more carry (total distance was about the same... which had become the issue and why I wanted to test some things out, wasn't holding greens with my longer irons). Don't think everyone will get that same result, but if you get the chance I can't recommend testing these out more highly.

they are smaller than the 790, but nothing shocking. I am a GI player (I currently have a Cleveland Launcher HB 5I in the bag) and felt comfortable looking down at a 6I in these.

So good news is I have a set ordered (hopefully get them before the end of October) bad news is I haven't told my wife what I bought myself for my birthday.

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
My 770's should be here by the end of the week! Still looking for the right set of MB's to combo in, but my wishlist has shrunk pretty far so it'll have my full attention this week.

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
Hit some really good short iron shots with these today. Hit 6i on a 185yrd Par 3 over water that went just left of green. Didn’t hit it particularly well by still ended up a Good 180yrds. The forgives is definitely there. Oh and they don’t sound clickey. Here is a few well struck shots that you can here the sound pretty good.
These have kind of been the holy grail for me in that they’ve got enough forgiveness while still retaining a solid feel - are they a pure forged blade? No. But, they do feel 1000x more solid than the P790 did.

I’ve loved the long irons off the tee. The 5i might be one of my favorite clubs in the set.

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
I hit the 770 and MB again today and I'm convinced I made the right choice for what I was looking for with them. Gonna be so much fun this winter. Maybe I'll get to take them to Vegas in a week and half.

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Reaction score
Handicap
I hit the 770 and MB again today and I'm convinced I made the right choice for what I was looking for with them. Gonna be so much fun this winter. Maybe I'll get to take them to Vegas in a week and half.
So you went all 770, correct?

I had the previous version of the 770s and they were great clubs.

OldandStiff

Reaction score
Handicap
+
So you went all 770, correct?

I had the previous version of the 770s and they were great clubs.
No, I ordered a whole set of 770's, but I'm going to combo the MB's. They're just going to take longer to get here. 770's arrive in a couple days. Ordered 7-PW in MB. Ran through the sets again today and I'm confident I can make it work. Love the way they look together, and in a bag the size difference is kinda cool. Like you're carrying a ton of precise wedges. I usually blade combo at the 7, but we'll see. This one might end up at the 8.

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Reaction score
Handicap
No, I ordered a whole set of 770's, but I'm going to combo the MB's. They're just going to take longer to get here. 770's arrive in a couple days. Ordered 7-PW in MB. Ran through the sets again today and I'm confident I can make it work. Love the way they look together, and in a bag the size difference is kinda cool. Like you're carrying a ton of precise wedges. I usually blade combo at the 7, but we'll see. This one might end up at the 8.
Nice, those MBs are spicy looking...

X.Man

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Had some spare time so jumped back on trackman with these and my current Modus. Played around with different shafts just for the heck of it. 6i ball speed jumó from ab avg of 127 to 137 with OBAN CT 125’s. So now I have set of those coming to put in these. Launch improved. Spin dropped slightly to about 5600 but decent angle was 53deg. 4yrds of roll out with the OBAN’s vs 8yrds with the Modus.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in