TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

Spent some time today comparing the P770 to the MP20 HMB. DG 120 in the P770 and Modus 120 in the HMB. 7i's. Similar but the P770 has a more solid feel at impact. I was also getting a few yards more carry with the P770 even though it is 1 deg weaker loft. Everytime I hit the p770 it goes on my ponder list. ~5800 spin with a peak height of 115-120 ft. Launch is a little high for me at 22-23 deg. I would need to bring that down. Ball speeds 120-125 depending on how well I found center. Plenty forgiving but also playable. I wish the P7MC was here to hit as well. That combo could be the ticket, but a full bag of p770 could be nice too.

Spent some time today comparing the P770 to the MP20 HMB. DG 120 in the P770 and Modus 120 in the HMB. 7i's. Similar but the P770 has a more solid feel at impact. I was also getting a few yards more carry with the P770 even though it is 1 deg weaker loft. Everytime I hit the p770 it goes on my ponder list. ~5800 spin with a peak height of 115-120 ft. Launch is a little high for me at 22-23 deg. I would need to bring that down. Ball speeds 120-125 depending on how well I found center. Plenty forgiving but also playable. I wish the P7MC was here to hit as well. That combo could be the ticket, but a full bag of p770 could be nice too.
I've really enjoyed the combo, but it sounds like you've noticed exactly what the 770s have been for me. Little extra launch and ball speed, without getting low spin. It's been really useful in the long irons, and less so in the short. I was combo'ing them between the 6 and 7, and have gone to the 5 and 6 lately just for preference on recent conditions. I played the full set of 770 for a bit though, well, and used them in a pretty big match without hesitation, so I try to remember that when I think about saying anything too bad about them. They're pretty good on performance imo if you like or don't mind the feel.

Well, 770s are gone. We'll just chalk that up to a miserably failed experiment.
Never in my life had so much trouble hitting a target.

My issue with these is the feel. I could be wrong, but the 760 felt way better to me.

They are a nice iron, but the feel was much different from what I expected after really enjoying the 760's.

YMMV....

Well, 770s are gone. We'll just chalk that up to a miserably failed experiment.
Never in my life had so much trouble hitting a target.

the 770 was one of those irons that the first time i picked it up i knew i’d hate it. i tried to take a few swings but they were awful and i was over it. hit a few other irons so much better in that same session.

My issue with these is the feel. I could be wrong, but the 760 felt way better to me.

They are a nice iron, but the feel was much different from what I expected after really enjoying the 760's.

YMMV....
I'm with you on that, absolutely. I love the feel of the 760's. I was hoping they would update them instead of making the 770's.

I just want to say that if you're one of the people who keeps your clubs really clean, or likes to I guess, the lines on the back of the MC's might drive you friggin crazy. Consider yourself warned. I don't really care about that at all, and I still notice it on course with dirt and debris. And giving them a thorough cleaning right now, I'm on my third towel trying to figure out the best one to get in the dang grooves and get the water out. It's annoying me. Maybe the clean freaks will actually enjoy it though. My wife is like a ray of sunshine after cleaning the bathroom, so the world has all kinds. :LOL:

Man, I am a big fan of the 770 3i. If you like something in that utility range but not the size of them, the 770 might be for you. Just comes across as another iron in the set, because it is, but with a little of the launch, speed, and little bit of forgiveness you'd see in utility anyway. It goes just as far as my X Forged UT, but with more versatility and a better look. Obviously it's smaller, so there will be a forgiveness difference, but it's a solid long iron to have in the bag.

@McLovin What didn’t u like right off the bat? I think they look great but I haven’t hit them much but the little bit I did they seemed fairly good

20201202_223621.jpg

Looking at the numbers more now. Circles were the shots with the P770 3i today (others are mixed clubs and older ones) in cold and soft conditions from mixed lies. 4 off the tee, 3 turf, shortest one was advancing to the corner on a par 5 from the right rough. That's about as good as any 20* utility I've used out there. I tell myself I don't love them, but then they seem to perform well, and then the data backs that feeling up. Every. Time.

Man, I am a big fan of the 770 3i. If you like something in that utility range but not the size of them, the 770 might be for you. Just comes across as another iron in the set, because it is, but with a little of the launch, speed, and little bit of forgiveness you'd see in utility anyway. It goes just as far as my X Forged UT, but with more versatility and a better look. Obviously it's smaller, so there will be a forgiveness difference, but it's a solid long iron to have in the bag.

I don't think I have the speed for the 3i, but I really, really liked the 5i in that set. Felt like I hit it better than any other long iron I have, including much larger ones.

I don't think I have the speed for the 3i, but I really, really liked the 5i in that set. Felt like I hit it better than any other long iron I have, including much larger ones.
They get up and move for their overall size and especially the sole size. I stuck more eagle approaches with that 5i in the first 3 weeks with them than I had in the 2 months prior. The overall height and spin at that speed is just some kind of sweet zone. Fast, but lands like a 7 iron.

I'm sold. Just treated myself to a 770 3iron bent 1 degree strong. Santa said I've been good this year :)

I tried the new p770 and was very impressed. I'm a 3 handicap and have one of the worst iron games this side of the Mississippi (no joke, in 2020 I averaged 5 greens in regulation). I recently spent several hours on trackman with various irons and these were above and beyond the best from a distance and a dispersion perspective. Coping from the ap2 718, the size of the head did not seem much different if at all, although the top line was slightly thicker. With that being said, the amount of accuracy and forgiveness I gained was remarkable. They made my misses so much better it left me shaking my head. In addition, as a feel player, I needed something soft, and the p770 was right there. The T-200 was somewhat close to the p770 in terms of distance, but the feel and sound (very loud and clanky) was no where close. The t-100 were just as soft, but also 12 yards shorter with greater misses. The p770 was able to be worked both ways, which for me allowed it to stay in the player irons. The only issue I've run into with Taylormade, is they refuse to put a tt amt s300 in their clubs. This was by far the best shaft for me and they have refused to put it in there, which very disappointing to say the least. Overall, this is a great set of irons and if you are looking for more distance and accuracy these sticks are definitely worth a look.

I tried the new p770 and was very impressed. I'm a 3 handicap and have one of the worst iron games this side of the Mississippi (no joke, in 2020 I averaged 5 greens in regulation). I recently spent several hours on trackman with various irons and these were above and beyond the best from a distance and a dispersion perspective. Coping from the ap2 718, the size of the head did not seem much different if at all, although the top line was slightly thicker. With that being said, the amount of accuracy and forgiveness I gained was remarkable. They made my misses so much better it left me shaking my head. In addition, as a feel player, I needed something soft, and the p770 was right there. The T-200 was somewhat close to the p770 in terms of distance, but the feel and sound (very loud and clanky) was no where close. The t-100 were just as soft, but also 12 yards shorter with greater misses. The p770 was able to be worked both ways, which for me allowed it to stay in the player irons. The only issue I've run into with Taylormade, is they refuse to put a tt amt s300 in their clubs. This was by far the best shaft for me and they have refused to put it in there, which very disappointing to say the least. Overall, this is a great set of irons and if you are looking for more distance and accuracy these sticks are definitely worth a look.
I love AMT's too, and just end up having to put them in myself. It is annoying when they don't offer them.

So it feels like I'm the only one playing any of these at this point. I know I'm not, but with offseason and everything, feels dead in this thread.

So anyway, the P7MC's really haven't been for many people from everything I've heard, and I didn't want them to be for me really.

They are though. I think about the MC (muscle cavity) name of them every time I'm out there, because they feel more like a muscle back than a cavity back. Weight behind the ball makes them feel so solid. It's a very satisfying feel, and solid isn't a word I normally use as a compliment. Crisp and solid with great feedback. They honestly remind me a little of my Rose Protos at impact. Anyway, net 73 today because of a drop, or they would have AGAIN played to cap. Something like a 75% rate if it had happened today, but closer to 2 out of 3 is impressive enough.

They're not going anywhere, anytime soon. Big, big fan of these little clubs.

Last edited:
Only 9 holes, but net par again with the 7MC's. Time to put them on the shelf for a bit, play some others, and let them come back sporting some shiny new black shafts for the long haul. :)

Hit the p770 7i again today. I still like it. Consistent with good feel. Sound is a bit muted. Compared to my mmc, the p770 is 1 deg weaker loft but a couple yards more carry and lower spin.
They're not getting a lot of love here so far, but most people who have tried mine have had pretty good success with them and I'm still loving the long irons. That 3i and I are buddies. (y)

They're not getting a lot of love here so far, but most people who have tried mine have had pretty good success with them and I'm still loving the long irons. That 3i and I are buddies. (y)

Still no mb or mc to hit here, but I have this growing idea that I would love an mc/770 combo. I could even see adding in a p790 in the 4i or 3i slot.

Still no mb or mc to hit here, but I have this growing idea that I would love an mc/770 combo. I could even see adding in a p790 in the 4i or 3i slot.
I have some 7MB's I need to pick up that I ordered ages ago, but I honestly I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. The MC's are so good. Feel and numbers are just perfect for me. I don't really see a need to go to a true blade at the end for no real reason other than look. I'll probably just do some comparisons with them and then move them.

Just got fitted and ordered the P770s. Excited to see how they are out on the course. Should have them in early Feb.

Only 9 holes, but net par again with the 7MC's. Time to put them on the shelf for a bit, play some others, and let them come back sporting some shiny new black shafts for the long haul. :)

How would you compare them vs. The X-Forged CB in terms of feel, sound and stability?

It just seems the equipment feedback is very quiet at the moment I guess everyone is waiting for all releases before opening up their wallets. The XFCB has less than a handful of mainstream reviews, which is really disappointing, would like to hear more. Checked local GT before current lockdown and still not in stores, hopefully we’ll see in the flesh by March.

I just got my p770 about 3 weeks ago. I put the amt tour white in there and absolutely LOVE them. I came from playing the ap2 716 and have gained a full club and a tremendous amount of accuracy. I'm a 3 handicap and average hitting about 5 to 6 greens per round (yea I know, its a glaring weakness). Since I put these in my bag, I have played 7 rounds. In these 7 rounds, I am now hitting 10-11 greens on average. They have made my misses SOOOOOO much better! Balls off the toe are holding their line and only losing minimal yardage. Not going to lie, these irons have helped make golf a lot more fun for me. I strongly recommend trying these out before purchasing any set of irons.

How would you compare them vs. The X-Forged CB in terms of feel, sound and stability?

It just seems the equipment feedback is very quiet at the moment I guess everyone is waiting for all releases before opening up their wallets. The XFCB has less than a handful of mainstream reviews, which is really disappointing, would like to hear more. Checked local GT before current lockdown and still not in stores, hopefully we’ll see in the flesh by March.

Yeah, they're not getting a lot of play from what I can tell, but I'm not really surprised by that. The MC's are definitely not everybody's cup of tee. I've passed mine around a little recently and there was a lot of appreciation combined with no's. lol

They're similar in looks in ways. More offset than maybe expected (less on MC's), more compact than most (more so with MC's), taller heels and narrower soles than some, etc.

Feels though, MC is more solid and crisp. They are noticeably more demanding. I've said it from the first time I tried them before they came out, that they're no joke. Muscle Cavity, not cavity back. They feel more like a blade, imo. X Forged is kind of other end on some things. Seems so much more modern with the cavity shape and weight placement. Sound is very good, but in a little different register, and you can feel that they won't punish you the same.

Stability is a tough one for me on these two. I really like how I would describe that with the X Forged so far. Really like. I haven't noticed any of the gear effects I don't always love. Feels very stable to me. It's hard to compare it to something as compact as the MC's though, with they're muscle shape on the back. I'd say they're both really good for how I think of stability, which isn't always the same as others. I had a weird thought about combo'ing the two of these the other day, that intrigues me, but I haven't had a chance to dive into it yet.

I had a video at one point of the MC sound out on course. I'm playing in a bit, but I'll look for it after. I cut one of the X Forged strikes but it didn't do a good job of showing what it was like, so I'll try another one in the future.

Back