TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

i see a metric ton of p790s in the wild, so maybe sound isn’t as important to the masses as to the niche crowd on thp?
It’s more that TM’s marketing machine works.

Id also bet COPIOUS amounts of money those sets in the wild are piss poor fits for the vast majority of them spin wise.

i see a metric ton of p790s in the wild, so maybe sound isn’t as important to the masses as to the niche crowd on thp?

I think that is probably true.
What's interesting is currently, even if you combine the two P790 irons (17, 19) it still wouldnt add up market share wise to other irons. Both from TaylorMade or a number of other brands.

But they have done well with them without a doubt over the last 3 years and in some areas, they are very popular.

If they were isolated as one of the few hollow players irons it would be a slam dunk but there are so many good irons in that space now.

I genuinely think if someone is just looking at these in the 4-5 and then moving to the TaylorMade MP20 irons they just released, the sound is probably not much of a concern.

totally agree. In a long iron replacement where you are much less likely to be hitting touch shots (Of course you still do) and it’s is almost always a full swing club it’s possible.

the idea of combo’ing with MP20 is am very interesting thought.

What's interesting is currently, even if you combine the two P790 irons (17, 19) it still wouldnt add up market share wise to other irons. Both from TaylorMade or a number of other brands.

But they have done well with them without a doubt over the last 3 years and in some areas, they are very popular.

i played yesterday and was paired with 3 strangers. two of them had p790s. one was a single digit cap the other probably high mid.

This is very interesting as in reviews they always go on about how they're taylormades number one seller.
Having said that I haven't seen them in anyone at my clubs bag.
Would be really interesting to see market share figures.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

totally agree. In a long iron replacement where you are much less likely to be hitting touch shots (Of course you still do) and it’s is almost always a full swing club it’s possible.

the idea of combo’ing with MP20 is am very interesting thought.
It was a poor attempt at a joke. Not combining with the Mizuno, but that TM’s release reads like they are trying to make Mizuno. #GrainFlow

This is very interesting as in reviews they always go on about how they're taylormades number one seller.

Currently off course they are behind Sim Max and M2.

i played yesterday and was paired with 3 strangers. two of them had p790s. one was a single digit cap the other probably high mid.

that is one of the interesting things about the 790s. I have seen both 20 handicap and scratch golfers love them. I can’t think of many other irons that have been that way.

love them or hate them. TM did very well from a marketing and execution stand point for that irons.

that is one of the interesting things about the 790s. I have seen both 20 handicap and scratch golfers love them. I can’t think of many other irons that have been that way.

love them or hate them. TM did very well from a marketing and execution stand point for that irons.
Totally agree. It is their “Apex” in that golfers of all skill levels like them.

It was a poor attempt at a joke. Not combining with the Mizuno, but that TM’s release reads like they are trying to make Mizuno. #GrainFlow

I missed it, but I see it now.

If you want to market a forging process that you have employed, it is hard to use it with out sounding like you are copying mizuno who has marketed their forging process as a major selling point since the beginning of time.

so you either don’t say anything, or you copy mizuno.:ROFLMAO:

Currently off course they are behind Sim Max and M2.
I wonder if that's similar to here in the UK?
I'm surprised but now that I think about it I'm not sure I should have been surprised.
Would love to see stats across the board for equipment sales.

it is their best selling “premium” iron for sure.

Physically (when a club strikes a ball) sound has nothing to do with feel, and personally sound has nothing to do with my perception of feel. I respect we do not all agree with the sound-feel thing. I do love a soft feel at impact and therefore play the Bridgestone J15 CB's, but if I can find a different iron that performs better in my hands then I don't care what it sounds like. I played a bunch of rounds with the original P770 PW-6, and then the original P790 in the 5 and 4 irons. The sound of the P790 did not even register with me, though the size bothered me. As far as performance the P790's were the easiest to hit long irons I have ever played. If the new P770 performs close to the P790 in a smaller package, then I think they will give the J15's a run for my bag.

Has anyone got photos of the 9/PW of the 770’s and the MC’s?

Having seen a few reviews I’m a little worried the P770 might not spin enough for me. I’ll need to test when I get a chance.

I went and got the P770 7 iron again but only with the kbs tour 2020. Is it the same shaft with a new shaft label? Anyway, spin was not an issue, I was anywhere between 6200-6900rpms. Next time I go I’m hoping to hit them with a few different shafts in hopes of narrowing it down to one shaft to battle it out with the jpx line. On a side note I had no issues with the feel like a lot have mentioned and they are about the nicest looking iron I have seen

I went and got the P770 7 iron again but only with the kbs tour 2020. Is it the same shaft with a new shaft label? Anyway, spin was not an issue, I was anywhere between 6200-6900rpms. Next time I go I’m hoping to hit them with a few different shafts in hopes of narrowing it down to one shaft to battle it out with the jpx line. On a side note I had no issues with the feel like a lot have mentioned and they are about the nicest looking iron I have seen
It’s the same shaft, new fancy label/band.

how does that spin compare to your usual numbers?

I am just so curious to hit the 770 and MCs and see some numbers. I have launch and spin concerns on the 770, and I see reviews that back them up. Then I see others, and one that's kind of a go to for my swing dynamics, where they are spinning them about the same as the MCs, despite 2* less loft. No one here has them though. We have a good fitter a little ways north so I might have to take a drive when I have time.

TM is sold because of tour players and merely the name Taylormade... I dont know many people playing TMade outside the sets of Speedblades / M4 / Burner sets in the groups. Most have moved on to better iron makers in Mizuno / Cally / and me with Srixon.

TM is sold because of tour players and merely the name Taylormade... I dont know many people playing TMade outside the sets of Speedblades / M4 / Burner sets in the groups. Most have moved on to better iron makers in Mizuno / Cally / and me with Srixon.
I think you’d be surprised....

I think you’d be surprised....

No doubt I would be because I feel i lost track of the iron products after the M4s produced rocket launchers

I see "foam" as being a a more financially appealing alternative shall we say to moving weight around, compared to other designs with tungsten and other materials that I at least perceive to be more expensive. Foam just doesn't speak "feel" to me in my mind. Having tried the old Nickents though, I should be more open minded.
I haven't priced out a set of TM irons: do they pass the savings on to the consumer so to speak? Are they more competitive price-wise?
I've only owned a set of R7TP's back in the day and thought they were abysmal. What can I say?

how does that spin compare to your usual numbers?
I’m currently playing a combo set of new level 902/623’s with modus 120’s that I haven’t hit on a monitor. I’m guessing my spin will be a bit higher but do plan on taking my 7 iron with me next time I go hit them

Back