TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

Very interested in a P770 and P790 combo set. Currently game P790 and while I launch them pretty well, I could definitely go for 500-1000 more RPM on my lofted irons.

Excited to try a set, though I may just go for it in 7-PW...

I'm intrigued. I had the MC back in the day and these are interesting to me. I personally think all three look nice.

I took 10-15 swings today in the local shop with a S300 shaft in jeans and running shoes, frankly I never hit the center of the face once. So I am writing it off to just a bad time to do it and not putting to much into it.

I did think they felt pretty harsh and tried to hit a few with the Mizuno HMB and had similar results so today it was 100% the Indian being out of sorts.

Anything would be harsh when you are thinning or hitting off the extreme heel of the club. I sure hate hitting on a SIM, never could do it well and that continues.

I am trying to decide who did it better. Muscle in the middle or muscle towards the toe..

1597773426297.png1597773481694.png

All this little try today did was convince me to wait until CC has the Mizuno JPX in also before the fitting. Just have to be patient for a few weeks, boy they sure are lookers in hand. Just a nice clean look and the size is just right to my eye.

I would love to see somebody who really knows the two irons to explain the weighting and launch characteristic differences between the P770 and the P790. The theory is that the higher launch of the modern profile requires lower lofts. However, the P770 is much closer to modern traditional lofts, so it must be designed to launch lower than the P790.

It would really be fun to see somebody bend a P790 7 iron weak and a P770 iron strong to make the lofts equal, and then compare the two heads on a launch monitor.

I think that is probably true.
What's interesting is currently, even if you combine the two P790 irons (17, 19) it still wouldnt add up market share wise to other irons. Both from TaylorMade or a number of other brands.

But they have done well with them without a doubt over the last 3 years and in some areas, they are very popular.

It is interesting, and I say this relative to your comment in the other thread, but I see so many more P790 sets in use than other TM offerings. It means that I tend to play golf with people who gravitate to that profile or, that many of the sets sold to the masses don’t get used as frequently, so you don’t see them in the wild. If the P790 player plays twice a week and the SIM player plays 6 times a year, it would make sense that you see the P790s in use more frequently.

Very interested in a P770 and P790 combo set. Currently game P790 and while I launch them pretty well, I could definitely go for 500-1000 more RPM on my lofted irons.

Comparing spin rates on 7 irons with different lofts that inevitibly carry different distances is not very helpful.

Based on review data I've seen the P790 7 iron carries between 1/2 and a full club longer than the P770 (at standard lofts), so if you are trying to hit a 170 yard shot you should probably be comparing a P770 7 iron to a P790 8 iron.

I expect the P790 would launch higher, have a steeper descent angle, probably spin more and therefore have more stopping power.

I expect the P790 will launch higher, have a steeper descent angle, spin more and therefore have more stopping power.

Interesting.

Yeah, 790 and spin aren’t two things that go together haha

I expect the P790 would launch higher, have a steeper descent angle, probably spin more and therefore have more stopping power.

i’m not sure if you meant p770 instead of p790? most of what i’m seeing is that 770 launches higher, lands more steeply and spins a bit more. what i haven’t seen yet is anyone do a loft-to-loft test. like, is 770 doing all that because it’s higher lofted at the same iron?

People need to move beyond looking at the number that is stamped on the back of the club when comparing irons.

1597799916135.png

It would be easy to look at the above and conclude that P770 spins more.

Howevever the P790 travels a full club further. A more valid test would be to include the P790 8 iron, and my assumption is it would perform favorably.

My fitting is next week with this line, Muzuno and Srixon being high on that list of intrigue.

People need to move beyond looking at the number that is stamped on the back of the club when comparing irons.

View attachment 8958742

Howevever the P790 travels a full club further. A more valid test would be to include the P790 8 iron, and my assumption is it would perform favorably.
I’m kinda liking what I see out of that MMC.

View attachment 8958742

Having hit both, I still saw less spin out of 790 loft to loft. Then again I didn’t get 5500 out of the p790 7 iron and I am a pretty high spin player

Yes. I’m hoping they have all the new stuff for fitting by next week.

Unless you are headed overseas, Srixon hasn’t released anything in the states yet. 😀

Unless you are headed overseas, Srixon hasn’t released anything in the states yet. 😀
Oh well that blows. ;) I’ll hit the 785 as a tester. I’m not ordering right away.

Having hit both, I still saw less spin out of 790 loft to loft.

Do you remember how much the spin delta was?

What about distance? I would expect there to be delta in ball speed even at identical loft.

The tester I most equate with my swing saw nearly the exact same launch and spin between 770 and 7MC 7 irons, which you would expect being only 1* different, and 3 yards more distance with the 770. For 3 yards, the forgiveness would need to be a really strong selling points to overcome the feel of a forged cb. Imo.

The tester I most equate with my swing saw nearly the exact same launch and spin between 770 and 7MC 7 irons, which you would expect being only 1* different, and 3 yards more distance with the 770. For 3 yards, the forgiveness would need to be a really strong selling points to overcome the feel of a forged cb. Imo.
I think that’s why I hear that MC singing to me. :p

Back