TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

After hitting both again today, I'm leaning towards combo'ing the 770's and MB's, and skipping the MC's altogether. I ran through the sets quick close-ish to how I would do it, and I don't think it'll be a big problem. I had my own balls this time around too, and the numbers were good. They look great together too. I had them sitting in the demo bag like I would my own and I liked it.

Aesthetically the 770 and the 7mb do pair really nice together! That’s where Mizuno nailed the looks of the MP20HMB and MB. With the Mizuno MMC and the TM 7MC in that middle slot. I’d figure the 2 middle sets would blend better looks wise from both companies but they don’t. It’s the HMB/MB and 770/P7MB that look the best together. Strictly talking looks here.

I stumbled upon the p770 today so I gave it a hack. I haven't had the chance to hit the HMB, but this iron far and away feels better than the Ping i500. I came close to ordering a set. Hit the 921 Hot Metal today and really liked it as well. I didn't expect to like the p770 as much as I did, but it really has made me reconsider what I thought was a sure thing in the HMP.

I demo’d the 770’s for the second time today with many more balls hit this time. Man these are really good. Best size iron I have tried in forever.

Tried the Mizzy 921F side by side and the 770’s were more accurate for me.

I got to hit this line again today, and when we figure out what we're doing with our living arrangement in a week or two, I'm grabbing a 770/MB combo. The 770 are so fun to hit. They look and feel good, and are surprisingly consistent. And the MB's are just great. Really looking forward to figuring out an effective combo because they just look phenomenal together.

Hit some really good short iron shots with these today. Hit 6i on a 185yrd Par 3 over water that went just left of green. Didn’t hit it particularly well by still ended up a Good 180yrds. The forgives is definitely there. Oh and they don’t sound clickey. Here is a few well struck shots that you can here the sound pretty good.

20200928_093917.jpg

Just watched the new video of Matty hitting the 790 and 770 with equalized lofts and find this interesting. The big thing they talk about is the main thing that's drawn me to the 770. Feel. Noticably different with the 770. So people have joked that they're 790 'pros', and I think that's a pretty fair description.

Ian kind of describes exactly how I would combo them if I was someone who wanted to pair those two. I've actually thought about playing around with a 4 iron 790 in the 770/MB combo I want to do.

Last edited:
Got the irons on trackman today. The spin was spot on for what I thought they would be at. I wanted to see how the numbers on trackman were compared to the foresight GC2. Below is screen shot of 6i with Modus 120. My normal miss is to get too quick and and I end up pulling the ball and spin dropped off substantial to about 4900rpm. But I’ve seen that on just about any iron on my miss.

E361B3C1-6148-4B67-A87F-3A6EC4B334DE.jpeg

did a fitting and was fully intending to buy nothing. Liked the JPX Forged, but then I hit the Mizuno MP20 and was super impressed (performance/looks/sound/feel) with the entire package but wasn't sure if I would spend the money to "upgrade" from my P790s.

Then the 770s came out and it was all over. Better launch, spin, carry and I prefered the feel over the mizunos. Not as soft, which is a good thing to me apparently. I have made some changes to my swing since I got fit for the 790s and the added spin on these equated to 14 yards more carry (total distance was about the same... which had become the issue and why I wanted to test some things out, wasn't holding greens with my longer irons). Don't think everyone will get that same result, but if you get the chance I can't recommend testing these out more highly.

they are smaller than the 790, but nothing shocking. I am a GI player (I currently have a Cleveland Launcher HB 5I in the bag) and felt comfortable looking down at a 6I in these.

So good news is I have a set ordered (hopefully get them before the end of October) bad news is I haven't told my wife what I bought myself for my birthday.

My 770's should be here by the end of the week! Still looking for the right set of MB's to combo in, but my wishlist has shrunk pretty far so it'll have my full attention this week.

Hit some really good short iron shots with these today. Hit 6i on a 185yrd Par 3 over water that went just left of green. Didn’t hit it particularly well by still ended up a Good 180yrds. The forgives is definitely there. Oh and they don’t sound clickey. Here is a few well struck shots that you can here the sound pretty good.

These have kind of been the holy grail for me in that they’ve got enough forgiveness while still retaining a solid feel - are they a pure forged blade? No. But, they do feel 1000x more solid than the P790 did.

I’ve loved the long irons off the tee. The 5i might be one of my favorite clubs in the set.

I hit the 770 and MB again today and I'm convinced I made the right choice for what I was looking for with them. Gonna be so much fun this winter. Maybe I'll get to take them to Vegas in a week and half.

I hit the 770 and MB again today and I'm convinced I made the right choice for what I was looking for with them. Gonna be so much fun this winter. Maybe I'll get to take them to Vegas in a week and half.
So you went all 770, correct?

I had the previous version of the 770s and they were great clubs.

So you went all 770, correct?

I had the previous version of the 770s and they were great clubs.
No, I ordered a whole set of 770's, but I'm going to combo the MB's. They're just going to take longer to get here. 770's arrive in a couple days. Ordered 7-PW in MB. Ran through the sets again today and I'm confident I can make it work. Love the way they look together, and in a bag the size difference is kinda cool. Like you're carrying a ton of precise wedges. I usually blade combo at the 7, but we'll see. This one might end up at the 8.

No, I ordered a whole set of 770's, but I'm going to combo the MB's. They're just going to take longer to get here. 770's arrive in a couple days. Ordered 7-PW in MB. Ran through the sets again today and I'm confident I can make it work. Love the way they look together, and in a bag the size difference is kinda cool. Like you're carrying a ton of precise wedges. I usually blade combo at the 7, but we'll see. This one might end up at the 8.
Nice, those MBs are spicy looking...

Had some spare time so jumped back on trackman with these and my current Modus. Played around with different shafts just for the heck of it. 6i ball speed jumó from ab avg of 127 to 137 with OBAN CT 125’s. So now I have set of those coming to put in these. Launch improved. Spin dropped slightly to about 5600 but decent angle was 53deg. 4yrds of roll out with the OBAN’s vs 8yrds with the Modus.

20201008_135526.jpg20201008_135452.jpg

Wanted to post these for anyone thinking of combo'ing 770 with existing 790 they have. I carry a 790 2UDI fairly often, and I think the next step down looks pretty decent for being 2 clubs off.

View attachment 8967807View attachment 8967808

Wanted to post these for anyone thinking of combo'ing 770 with existing 790 they have. I carry a 790 2UDI fairly often, and I think the next step down looks pretty decent for being 2 clubs off.

This is helpful, thanks. I am ok with the 4i from the set, but was thinking if the 770 win out in my club face-off, I might put the 790 in that spot at some point.

This is helpful, thanks. I am ok with the 4i from the set, but was thinking if the 770 win out in my club face-off, I might put the 790 in that spot at some point.

I am looking at going gapr in the next spot after 5I, but will be holding on to my 790s for a bit as the 5I might and up getting back into that spot, but I think the additional spin and loft (only a degree for mine) will get me better carry and more consistent distance despite being slightly less forgiving.. but we will see.

Had my first round with the P770s today. They're shafted with KBS Tour 120 and I was playing a slightly different ball than I use for most of my testing, so I won't make any exact real world distance conclusions for me yet, but it was a pretty good first outing. Absolutely stuck some approach shots, missed poorly (for me) on some others.

----

Actually, I just ran through the shot log, and my misses weren't nearly as big as I thought with them. Just seemed like it in the end. My near misses kept hitting the sidehills of elevated greens and ending up about doubly far away. If you were looking at the live round photos, most of the greens were punishing like that if you missed them at all.

The 770 shots were:

6i - 182 - 10'
7i - 171 - ~12' ending 25' (short right)
6i - 184 - ~35' ending 58' (right)
8i - 164 - 15'
9i - 147 - ~12-15' ending 40 (short left)
9i - 135 - 20'
6i - 182 - 20'
8i - 180 - ~30' ending 60' (left)
5i - 201 - 15'
7i - 182 - 22'
7i - 177 - 5'

So yeah, maybe the round and those irons went as well as the scorecard showed (really good round).

------

Anyway, they feel really nice on grass. I always feel like offset jumps out at me more outside, and I had hit them outside, but I did notice it a few times on those mid-iron shots. That's where it bugs me the most and part of why I like to combo between the 6 and 7 to something smaller a lot of the time. Flight was mostly good. Or as expected. I did try to flight that first 9i because it was downhill and there were breezes swirling and I got a little bit of a ting in the hands when I caught it a little lower on the face. They have a pretty sharp leading edge. Distance ended just short enough to bounce way left. Definitely notice the cg pushing the ball flight up in the shorter irons. It's a bit much for me. I've gotten used to more player-ish irons there, so that'll be different until my MB's get in. Reminded me of the Forged Tec short irons a bit. They wanted to go high. The shaft probably had some to do with it too though. Tours are a bit launchier for me.

They feel miles different than the 790 and click less than an Apex Pro. Really consistent on that sound and feel too. I had to check a couple times to see where I struck one, so I wouldn't call them champs on feedback. Except on that low strike.

Long ramble.. They look great, felt good, and flew true when I let them. Good first go!!

Last edited:
Who wants more gratuitous P770 size pictures?!! :p haha 'Cause I took some for a buddy in Nebraska - aka the land of suck where you have to buy blind.

20201010_014943.jpg20201010_015238.jpg20201010_015606.jpg20201010_015954.jpg

He had played my Apex Pros some, and has CF's, so I wanted to show him how the 770 are about the same size and get pretty decently compact in the short irons, just with a little thicker top line.

They feel miles different than the 790 and click less than an Apex Pro.

funny how different people’s perception can be. apex pro is on my mt rushmore of iron feel/sound. good pics too, interesting to see 770 have a shorter blade length. nice first outing!

funny how different people’s perception can be. apex pro is on my mt rushmore of iron feel/sound. good pics too, interesting to see 770 have a shorter blade length. nice first outing!
I love the feel of apex pro. They're on my mt. rushmore of just about everything. Thet just have a different pitch to me than some others. The 770 is muted in a different way. It's a different flushed sound. You can feel that it's a HB. Apex pro maybe crisper? I don't know. Semantics are always at play in the differences, and I did hit a few shots with a couple different balls this afternoon and a harder one definitely felt a little sharper.

Last edited:
Is the 770 as forgiving as the Apex Pro?

I haven't hit the Apex Pro much in the long irons, but my gut says yes from my limited experience. The long irons in the 770s are pretty easy to hit for an iron in their category in my opinion.

Back