TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

haha It's a weird kind of not soft, but .. ?? right? The faces have a unique feel. You can kind of tell they're hollow by that squish. Glad to hear they were getting up for you!!
Yeah they sort of remind me of a PXG set I hit once. They're soft in the truest sense of the word - different from the usual "forged soft" feel us internet golfers go on about.
How were ball speeds relative to the Apex Pros?
Y'know I didn't look, was just whacking balls and trying to get out of the way. Eye test said higher launch, higher spin, shorter carry - nice flight though.

Yeah they sort of remind me of a PXG set I hit once. They're soft in the truest sense of the word - different from the usual "forged soft" feel us internet golfers go on about.

Y'know I didn't look, was just whacking balls and trying to get out of the way. Eye test said higher launch, higher spin, shorter carry - nice flight though.
Are you wondering from today if you needed to go 2* weak with them?

Are you wondering from today if you needed to go 2* weak with them?
I think I'm mostly glad that I did.
It doesn't necessarily mean that this is the best setup with them, but I was looking for something different and I got it.

Just got great news that my P7MB irons are in!!! Thanks to @NVGOLFER80 for the assist with his local shop....can't wait to get pick these up and game em!

Just got great news that my P7MB irons are in!!! Thanks to @NVGOLFER80 for the assist with his local shop....can't wait to get pick these up and game em!

Awesome.. I will be sure to go in and hit them for you and break them in!!

20201028_234426.jpg

Just wanted to share this.

I have about 10 rounds in on these irons. I maybe have one PW shot a round. A couple during some and I'm sure none during others. I'm not going to look up the actuals. I hit it maybe 10 times on the range. ? Can't imagine it was more.

Anyway, when we were bending a few of them today I noticed that it looked pretty worked for it's age. Nothing to freak out about. I don't baby clubs, there are occasional mixed turf lies here, my AoA with a PW is pretty strong, and it's definitely the worst looking of the set by a ways, but it's interesting. My Honma's are pretty soft but they mostly ding instead of scratch, my Titleists all scratch but more finely, my apex are tough, etc etc. Just seems a little unique, and I'm curious how it will wear over time.

Anyone care to share how theirs are doing with scratches/wear?

So these P770 long irons are goooood. I'm looking at my stats trying to get a feel for the recent 770 numbers, and my long iron GIR is up 20% with them vs the 80 shots prior (mixed clubs), and my inside 15' proximity has gone up 6 percent over the same shot set. I've really liked the 3i off the tee and fairway, and have been pounding the greens with the 4 and 5. They launch really well without having a soft flight. It's made them really good in a variety of conditions.

770s in the bag for the first time today. Long story short it did not go well despite having a really good warmup with them.

If I'm being honest, I missed my Apex Pros by the time the round was over.

Well that just sucks.

Well that just sucks.
Yeah it was a bummer for sure. Of course there's no real way of separating clubs & swing on the golf course, but the combination of the 2 just wasn't working today. The feel is also pretty squishy and feedback is limited around the face - I could get used to this if the performance shows up.
Maybe a shaft issue? I've never been fit into the KBS Tour despite multiple fittings over the years. I also suspect that despite me paying for it to be done, they weren't bent flat enough - which is a real pain in the arse. They just look a little toe-up at address which really messes with my head.

Looking for some silver lining - I hit a PW from 140 to 4 ft on #13 and made birdie. That was it. Almost every other swing with the 770s today not only missed the green, but they weren't even close. I think these are sexy irons, but I don't love them enough to force them to work. If next round isn't better they'll be sent to the backup bag.

After yesterday I'm nixing my combo plans with the 7MB. Which is good. I just had an interesting exchange with the wife though. She was asking me about 'the ones I hit yesterday' (Apex MB) that I'm getting, and as I was explaining what they are, she said 'but I thought you were getting the little pretty ones that matched those 👉 (P770)".

And it occurred to me, that if TM hadn't done this stupid release and not actually have/get them for 2 months bs, I already would have. It without question gave me the time to change my mind. I feel like I can't be the only customer it's costing them on this. :unsure:

And they arrived. This the AW, next to the 790 AW in the third photo. Slightly smaller shape than 790 but could see why players that prefer a smaller profile might go combo set.

3A484BC8-87F7-4863-9EE6-610BD9C5A95B.jpeg
D5EDC13A-99C0-4BFA-A299-11DF1ECDE313.jpeg
FFEFB11B-B024-4EBF-B1EA-6B8A66332855.jpeg

So you think the AW seems large for the set, or just larger than you expected?

Ferrules look good!

My thought is it is very similar in size to the 790 AW. I don't have any issues with the size of these irons but if you thought the 790s were too large then I think you would feel the same about these.

My thought is it is very similar in size to the 790 AW. I don't have any issues with the size of these irons but if you thought the 790s were too large then I think you would feel the same about these.
Okay. I have no reference on the 790 AW. I don't think I've ever seen/held one. It can't be too big though, because I'm very sure the 770 AW is smaller than my Apex Pro AW in overall size - toe height, heel height, and toe to heel. The sole and topline are just a little wider. So the 790 AW must be more players-ish than I've imagined. Good for Taylormade on that.

I have 5 rounds in with the P770s, and they are officially sidelined. Can't make them spin to save my life, and I'm not seeing any gains in any field. Great looking clubs, but these are not for me.
Mind sharing some rough slim numbers you're getting? I'm really curious, because that isn't a complaint I've heard or seen anywhere else really.

Mind sharing some rough slim numbers you're getting? I'm really curious, because that isn't a complaint I've heard or seen anywhere else really.
I can't back up my claim with numbers, just on course performance. I set out looking for something to replace my beloved King Forged Tour Set. I picked up JPX921 Forged, P770, and 921 Tour with a myriad of different shafts.

I played the 921F first, and found 1 club worth of distance gains with similar spin action when compared against the cobras. I measured the specs and found that they actually play 1/2" long and 1 club strong out of the box, so that made perfect sense. What I didn't like about them was the hollow sound the create at impact.

On to the P770s. Great sound at impact, and a really great looking club. Nice and compact, which I like. I played them first with the stock KBS Tour FLT 120s shaft. My distances with these were slightly shorter than I wanted, and the ball just wasn't stopping, so I switched into the Modus 120. Distance came back, but the spin still wasn't there. I'm basing this solely on pitch marks. When I hit a shot well, I expect the ball to land, hop forward and spin back, to the other side of the mark. The cobras do this marvelously, the Mizunos not quite as much but still give me what I want. The P770s had the ball stopping 2-3 yards past the pitch mark on every shot.

I live in southern California. Our greens are firm and dry 99% of the year, so stopping power is really important to me.

The 921 Tours, so far, have performed up to snuff. They offer everything I want in looks, sound and feel. They're very small heads, with thin top lines and soles, but the feel off the face is that of a much larger club. Spin wise they perform like a players iron, as I would suspect.

20201105_124020.jpg

Oh, that was today? I forgot. :)

20201105_124213.jpg

Everything seems in order. Now, TO THE BENDING!!

I needed something to do this afternoon for an hour. Happy things.

Impressed by your commitment to ruthless experimentation. Those look fun.
20201105_232926.jpg

Hopefully. I hate the look of them combo'd with the 770's in the bag, but I'm going to try to get over it. How the various shafts combo works out tomorrow, might be something else entirely. Having to get shafts from halfway around the world is annoying right now. I expect 'Merica to do better. lol

Last edited:
Well first round in with the MC combo, and despite needing to shaft swap, I immediately liked them better than the 770's in the short irons. The soles are just miles apart and more my flavor. All expected based on hitting them in store. They feel and work a lot better for the shots I like to hit, and I'm longer with them. Definitely need to get the shafts all the same this weekend and then do some gapping work. There were a couple unexpected gaps today. Overall good though. They are a true players cb. Had one slight mishit that retained more distance than I would have thought from indoor testing, so that was interesting.

They still looks stupid though :p. Of all the new irons with the unfinished raw/satin-y sections, they look the most 'unfinished'. They seriously look like they forgot to coat the part with the lines. I hated it from picture one of the release, and didn't want to combo with them, but left open the idea of playing a whole set instead. Well, that's out the window for the near future, but in the end if I don't sell them I'll likely play them as a standalone set.

Last edited:
Well first round in with the MC combo, and despite needing to shaft swap, I immediately liked them better than the 770's in the short irons. The soles are just miles apart and more my flavor. All expected based on hitting them in store. They feel and work a lot better for the shots I like to hit, and I'm longer with them. Definitely need to get the shafts all the same this weekend and then do some gapping work. There were a couple unexpected gaps today. Overall good though. They are a true players cb. Had one slight mishit that retained more distance than I would have thought from indoor testing, so that was interesting.

They still looks stupid though :p. Of all the new irons with the unfinished raw/satin-y sections, they look the most 'unfinished'. They seriously look like they forgot to coat the part with the lines. I hated it from picture one of the release, and didn't want to combo with them, but left open the idea of playing a whole set instead. Well, that's out the window for the near future, but in the end if I don't sell them I'll likely play them as a standalone set.
Interesting that you have found more distance with the CBs, as I hit them in the store, and felt that they performed better than the 770s in every aspect I could see on the launch monitor. Isn't the 770 supposed to be the more forgiving, distance type iron? Also, I'm 100% with you on the looks

Interesting that you have found more distance with the CBs, as I hit them in the store, and felt that they performed better than the 770s in every aspect I could see on the launch monitor. Isn't the 770 supposed to be the more forgiving, distance type iron? Also, I'm 100% with you on the looks

I wouldn't call the 770's a distance iron at all. The 921 Forged might flirt with that moniker imo with its ball speeds, but not the 770's. I think they're just slightly longer than some similarly lofted peers, but it's real minimal from my experience. They are supposed to be more forgiving than others in that size range, and I'd agree with that from my time with them.

I really like the 770 long irons. They do what they're designed to do, and the stats bear out that they're a good fit for me. My scoring iron swing can leak into the longs and the 770's get up so easy for something their size. That translates to a little more carry length for me. The short irons are, well, they're a forgiving short iron. Which, I don't really have as much use for these days. That's why I like the MC's better. I feel more confident and comfortable with that profile doing what I want, so I usually swing them faster. I prefer a thinner sole and more compact shape, and they're only about a degree different, so I think the SS overcomes that. I like being able to keep them down, and they just sound and feel better like you'd expect a players CB to. Crisper. The 770's are a little unique I think. They sound soft-ish muted with a prolonged .. something (something duller) a dull crack?, and the MC's sound quick and crisp while feeling soft. I wonder if I have a couple sound clips from today actually.

So what better numbers were you getting with them over the 770's? Not many of us have had any of these in play yet, so I'm really curious. Army called the 770 faces squishy, and I can definitely tell they're hollow in that way.

Last edited:
Back