TaylorMade Releases RocketBallz RBZ Rescue & Fairway Wood

I think this remains to be seen OG. I hit it once out of the rough from 277 and got 225 out of it and straight, little fade on it. Im not sure it will be Mashie 3W easy off the deck but nothing will.

You crushed that thing out of the rough! Sounds good and I am still pondering trying a 3-wood in the near future. I think for me the 3-wood would be used more off the tee on tighter holes and I would go with the 3 hybrid for off the deck.

Hey, I wish everyone that went and tested it came out with a dozen balls, but not all clubs fit all swing profiles. As soon as I kept seeing lower launch angle #'s, I knew there would be plenty of folks who this 3wood doesn't fit. A lot of people need help getting their flight up, not down. I'm just not one of them. I'm elated about it.

TC- did you get a non-stock shaft with the tour head? I noticed a higher than I like flight with the reg. and it came down a bit with the tour as did spin. I think the distance claims are are little off for many. What I do like about these clubs is the very solid feel. I know when ai nut a shot just by feel with these. I just wish that u could order the tp shafts sans TM graphics. That, grip, and tp price are my only 'concerns'. I guess these are already back logged according to the rep I spoke with over the past few days. Brilliant marketing and apple like stir up demand factors

I am sure this is a plus off the tee. Will the lower ball flight make it harder to hit the ball off the deck?

I think this remains to be seen OG. I hit it once out of the rough from 277 and got 225 out of it and straight, little fade on it. Im not sure it will be Mashie 3W easy off the deck but nothing will.

OG...I hit this on the range this weekend and played a round with it on Friday. I was actually quite impressed on how easy it was to get it up in the air off of the deck. As Kmac said, this club is not for everyone, but I had pretty good luck with it. I have not hit it out of the rough yet, but off of a tight fariway lie, it seems to get up in the air nicely (for me anyway).

OG...I hit this on the range this weekend and played a round with it on Friday. I was actually quite impressed on how easy it was to get it up in the air off of the deck. As Kmac said, this club is not for everyone, but I had pretty good luck with it. I have not hit it out of the rough yet, but off of a tight fariway lie, it seems to get up in the air nicely (for me anyway).

DB - Do you have the 15 or 17 degree model?

DB - Do you have the 15 or 17 degree model?

15* (stiff shaft)

When I first hit it at GG on the launch monitor I was getting 15 to 16 degrees launch angle (hitting off of a mat). The TM Rep said the optimal launch angle was 14.5ish. I was happy with the numbers I was being given, but wanted to see it myself on the range. I obviously do not know the exact launch angle from the balls I was hitting on the range, but, they looked good. I am happy :)

I went back to GG and tested the 17*! I was impressed! It was roughly 10 yds shorted than the 15*, but still 10 - 15 yds longer than my current 3W, a Diablo Edge Tour 15*. Launch angle was higher, naturally, and it seemed easier to hit off the deck. Well, after two sessions with the RBZ fairways and hybrids, I'm sold. I'll be getting a 3W HL 17* and a 4h. Can't wait to try these out outside!

I had a chance to compare my Cleveland 17 degree FL (Regular) against the TM RBZ 17 degree (Regular) today after work. I hit a small bucket on the range and then quietly snuck on #18 at my local muni around dusk. It is a Par 5 straight away. I marked 10 balls - 5 with RBZ and 5 with FL. I had three each Srixon Q-Star and two of the new Titleist Velocity in each group. I hit 3 with the RBZ and then 3 with the FL. Then 2 with the RBZ and 2 with the FL. For the record, I have a slower swing speed, 12.8 handicap and generally hit my 3 wood about 200 yards.

The results:
--All 10 shots were within a 20 yard grouping right to left There were about 10 yards between the longest and shortest (195-205 yards). All felt solidly hit. Slight wind blowing against me. All were hit high but carried pretty well. I used my LR550 laser to measure distance.
--The 2 shortest were the Velocity balls hit with the RBZ. None of the RBZ shots were longer than my FL.
--The Srixon Q-Star was longer than all the Titleist Velocity.

So for me, the RBZ is going back to trade in on a Cleveland Classic when they come out (mid Feb?). The RBZ was not bad, but no improvement to my Cleveland FL.

So I was poking around GG last night after dropping off some clubs to be worked on and I was talking to the area GM who was in the store at the time. We'll call him 'Matt' He's worked on a few of my clubs before and we always talk clubs whenever I see him and we started talking about the RBZ line last night. He asked me if I've hit any of the stuff and I told him that I hadn't where he then told me he had and is debating whether to change his bag around because of them. He didn't care for the driver (he's got a RAZR Fit) at all but he raved about the 3W. He said he was consistently getting 320-325 with it and that was with all stock options. Needless to say he can't wait until they get the 3+ in stock which he may kill someone with. Now he's 6'4" 205 and has a SS of 130 but those numbers are still impressive. Impressive enough for me to have some illicit thoughts of this club now.

I purchased the 3w and 3h and I am really enjoying them so far, range only. I have them both in the non tour, stiff shaft version. I had the SF 2.0 3W and can say that I enjoy this club much better. I got the extra yards over my G20 club and have no problem getting it in the air off the deck. I think the 3h is even better. It launches higher and seems to carry forever. The channel on the bottom fills up with dirt at times but that is the only real complaint. I'll provide some more info after I play. I also need to start adjusting how I play to hit more of these clubs off the tee.

Last edited:
I purchased the 3w and 3h and I am really enjoying them so, range only. I have them both in the non tour, stiff staff version. I had the SF 2.0 3W and can say that I enjoy this club much better. I got the extra yards over my G20 club and have no problem getting it in the air off the deck. I think the 3h is even better. It launches higher and seems to carry forever. The channel on the bottom fills up with dirt at times but that is the only real complaint. I'll provide some more info after I play. I also need to start adjusting how I play to hit more of these clubs off the tee.

I took my RBZ 3W to the range last night and after getting adjusted, I wasn't seeing any issues getting the ball off the deck either. The ball flight might be just a little lower than my last 3W, but that's a sacrifice I'll gladly take for some extra distance. Didn't have any way to measure other than the range markings, but after adjusting a little I was seeing a much better ball flight and what felt like some more distance out of it.

I'm now trying to figure out what to do with the gap between my 3W & 7W (which isn't going anywhere)....

i hit this thing yesterday, and i'm taking my current 3w in today to compare side by side distance wise. my numbers yesterday were ridiculous, (thus my need to compare) my average of 12 shots yielded me 268.3 yards (254.6 carry) with a ball speed avg'ing over 145+...my dispersion was tight and distance consistency was pretty spot on. if these numbers are true, this WILL be in my bag this afternoon, if at the very least ordered (need an x-stiff, tour head). i may want to hit the driver too...my wallet has but two words 'oy vey'.

**EDIT** update, turns out i was averaging 3 yards total more with the RBZ than my current 3W, however I tried my R11 side by side with the RBZ driver and averaged more than 10 yards longer with the RBZ. Ordered the driver in the tour head, xstiff shaft.

Last edited:
Honestly, it more them just the name. I'm not fond of the white and I'm seeing better numbers elsewhere

I spend quite a bit of time with the 3 wood yesterday and I too was not impressed. I was getting better numbers from the Nike VRS and the Adams F12. (I need to start taking pictures of the monitors to post.) I can deal with the white. It really does frame the ball well.

I went in yesterday and hit the 3W side by side with the superfast 2.0 as well as the cleveland fl. All three gave me pretty much the same results. Maybe there's a reason taylormade threw the "for better players" on top of their 17 yard claim. Golfers that have really high swing speeds might be able to get more out of this, but for people with average swing speeds (like me) I really don't think it's worth it.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really nice club and I made some solid shots with it, I just feel that it's the superfast 2.0 with a different paint color. I got the EXACT same results from the superfast 2.0 and it costs $80 less.

Question for the club builders out there. I want to replace the grip on this club with a Golf Pride NDMC, preferably midsize. According to TM's site the FW comes with the 'TM 360 Lite' grip. The google is no help on this one as I can't find any information on it. However, I see that the R9 360 grip was 55g. I'd imagine that the 'lite' grip would weight less... If that's the case, am I throwing off anything by replacing it with a heavier grip or am I just over thinking?

Anyone know what the TM 360 Lite grip weighs? Maybe I can find a closer alternative.

Thanks!

Question for the club builders out there. I want to replace the grip on this club with a Golf Pride NDMC, preferably midsize. According to TM's site the FW comes with the 'TM 360 Lite' grip. The google is no help on this one as I can't find any information on it. However, I see that the R9 360 grip was 55g. I'd imagine that the 'lite' grip would weight less... If that's the case, am I throwing off anything by replacing it with a heavier grip or am I just over thinking?

Anyone know what the TM 360 Lite grip weighs? Maybe I can find a closer alternative.

Thanks!

Technically your lightening the SW if you put it on a scale, but in reality you couldn't tell the difference at all just by swinging the club.

I went in yesterday and hit the 3W side by side with the superfast 2.0 as well as the cleveland fl. All three gave me pretty much the same results. Maybe there's a reason taylormade threw the "for better players" on top of their 17 yard claim. Golfers that have really high swing speeds might be able to get more out of this, but for people with average swing speeds (like me) I really don't think it's worth it.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really nice club and I made some solid shots with it, I just feel that it's the superfast 2.0 with a different paint color. I got the EXACT same results from the superfast 2.0 and it costs $80 less.

I agree with your comments. Not a bad club -- just not better for my swingspeed I guess.

Who ever came up with the phrase effortless distance for these fairways and hybrids at Taylormade was spot on. I had some hooking issues with them but wow do both of them go. The 13 3+ wood was only 9 yards behind the 10.5 degree driver in distance, much different shot shape though. Again, much like the F12 with another shaft, hoo boy I'm looking forward to it, at least for the fairway. The hybrids are actually too long and doesn't jive with my iron distances giving a bunch of awkward gaps. Normally I'm all about building from the bottom of the bag up, but if someone was starting from scratch and wanted to use the hybrids, you'd have to give serious consideration with how to merge them into ones iron set from the get go. 2010 - Year of the Wedge 2011 - Year of the Driver 2012 - Year of the Fairway / Golf Ball

Who ever came up with the phrase effortless distance for these fairways and hybrids at Taylormade was spot on. I had some hooking issues with them but wow do both of them go. The 13 3+ wood was only 9 yards behind the 10.5 degree driver in distance, much different shot shape though. Again, much like the F12 with another shaft, hoo boy I'm looking forward to it, at least for the fairway. The hybrids are actually too long and doesn't jive with my iron distances giving a bunch of awkward gaps. Normally I'm all about building from the bottom of the bag up, but if someone was starting from scratch and wanted to use the hybrids, you'd have to give serious consideration with how to merge them into ones iron set from the get go. 2010 - Year of the Wedge 2011 - Year of the Driver 2012 - Year of the Fairway / Golf Ball

I'm going through this exact scenario. Coming back regularly after a 10 year break from my junior days as a single digit handicapper. Needing a complete set from scratch. I think I have landed on the RBZ driver, 3 wood with stiff shaft but irons are another question. Particulary the hybrid vs long iron debate. Throughly confused at the moment!

I didn't get solid numbers because my swing wasn't great but this club (3w) did not live up to the hype for me. Comparing a bad swing across the board I wasn't longer with the RBZ. I'm glad its working for a lot of people though. I'm gonna see if one the places is going to let me take on my Octane Tour 3w with the RBZ. Not even the Cleveland FL was close to touching the Callaway in distance or accuracy.

like so many have said, club head speed. Those that have a slower swing speed may want to try all the shafts that are available from Taylor Made. 2.0 owners won't see a big change. Most folks with any of the new stuff won't see a big change. You Adams folks know what I'm saying.

I went to look again at the RBZ HL 3 Wood today, and after comparing launch numbers, and with the young Pro's encouragement I left with the RBZ 3 Hybrid instead. My hope is to use it off a low tee when my driver is having an off day. I took it to the range and was not having very good results, distance or accuracy wise, but it usually takes me a few trips out with a new club to get decent results. Along came the young Pro at the course who wanted to try it. Well there is nothing at all wrong with the club-he was about hitting it straight out over the back wall every time.
We'll see over the next week or so. It sure is a good looking club.

I went to look again at the RBZ HL 3 Wood today, and after comparing launch numbers, and with the young Pro's encouragement I left with the RBZ 3 Hybrid instead. My hope is to use it off a low tee when my driver is having an off day. I took it to the range and was not having very good results, distance or accuracy wise, but it usually takes me a few trips out with a new club to get decent results. Along came the young Pro at the course who wanted to try it. Well there is nothing at all wrong with the club-he was about hitting it straight out over the back wall every time.

lol, always nice when some long knocker confirms the club isnt at fault or broken. Its a very good club, you'll like it I think.

Give it time doc, it'll come around. I've heard extraordinary things about the hybrid line. Truth be told, the hybo's have my interest in a big, big way.

As they should, it's pretty sweet actually

Give it time doc, it'll come around. I've heard extraordinary things about the hybrid line. Truth be told, the hybo's have my interest in a big, big way.

Thanks, Guys. Will do and report back.

Back