TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

It would be hard to give up what I feel I've gained in yardage and forgiveness for sure. For my game, they fit just fine. I'd always love something a little more sexy, but when I've gone back to a smaller head I just haven't been as impressed. I'm a hack though :D

Thanks for the thoughts, Roadrunner. Sounds like you were seeing the same forgiveness that we've seen.

U and me both man, hit the tours in the kbs 90 and kbs tour shafts, ball just shot off of the face.
Haven't tried the non tours in quite some time

It would be hard to give up what I feel I've gained in yardage and forgiveness for sure. For my game, they fit just fine. I'd always love something a little more sexy, but when I've gone back to a smaller head I just haven't been as impressed. I'm a hack though
I SO understand and agree with this. I imagine there is a class of golfers who value other characteristics such as feel, ability to more easily shape shots and maybe appearance more and these clubs might not be for them. But for so many others - the mass of hackers like myself - these clubs bring so much to the table.

I SO understand and agree with this. I imagine there is a class of golfers who value other characteristics such as feel, ability to more easily shape shots and maybe appearance more and these clubs might not be for them. But for so many others - the mass of hackers like myself - these clubs bring so much to the table.

Thing is, I really do value a good looking iron. I'm not scared off by thinner toplines or less offset, but results are really speaking for themselves for me. They are likely a better fit for my swing than they are my aesthetic preferences, but I'm completely fine with that.

Nice job going on here guy's. I like a lot of what I'm hearing so far, hard to beat long and forgiving. Thanks for the info!

Duey, I think you'd like them quite a bit.

Posted via tapatalk.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering I asked what kind of material filled the slot, and the TaylorMade guy said 3m makes it and it's supposed to have something to deal with feel and sound.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Yup, it's a lightweight polymer /plastic that really just acts as a fill for vibration dampening and so obstructions don't get into the slot

Tapped out on my EVO 4G LTE

Teeing it up again tomorrow morning. I've never looked forward to playing more since I started testing /gaming the Rocketbladez; they just make the game more enjoyable.

This will be my 5th round of 2013 and my 11th since getting them in early December. 1 round above 50 degrees, 3 in the 40s, 6 in the 30s and one in the 20s and the rocketbladez have failed to disappoint. I cannot wait to game these bad boys as the weather warms up, the greens start holding, and the ball really starts exploding more (can't believe that's actually possible) off of the club face!

Tapped out on my EVO 4G LTE

Duey, I think you'd like them quite a bit.

Posted via tapatalk.

I think your right. Sounds like trajectory is about right and a little extra distance is always welcome, just thinking my next set will possibly have graphite shafts. We'll see how things pan out.

They do have a graphite, but I've not been able to take a swing with them. If we get lucky enough to meet up this summer you'll have to take some swings.

They do have a graphite, but I've not been able to take a swing with them. If we get lucky enough to meet up this summer you'll have to take some swings.

Sounds like a plan!

During the fitting process, the young pro found that I might do best with 1 degree flat but he suggested that I buy standard lie because the standard lie cast heads have a notch at the hosel allowing for bending if necessary whereas, if the heads are ordered one degree flat, the special order clubs do not have that notch at the hosel. Since these clubs seemed brand new to the fitters, I found it difficult to completely trust their advice. I am asking for feedback from contributors to this thread.

I didn't get to hit them, but last week while I was away I did have both the standard and tour models in my hand, and personally I preferred the overall look of the standard clubs over the tour model

And I really want to get a chance to hit them....or do I? Might not be good for the wallet if I did hit them...? Hmmmmmm

During the fitting process, the young pro found that I might do best with 1 degree flat but he suggested that I buy standard lie because the standard lie cast heads have a notch at the hosel allowing for bending if necessary whereas, if the heads are ordered one degree flat, the special order clubs do not have that notch at the hosel. Since these clubs seemed brand new to the fitters, I found it difficult to completely trust their advice. I am asking for feedback from contributors to this thread.
I am not familiar with this line of thinking. Maybe a call to TM customer service on Monday is in order. The guy that fitted me said I should get re-fit a few months after owning the clubs after I get used to them to confirm the lie. So if it is true that custom order don't have notch to enable adjusting lie maybe this is another reason to get them in standard lie.

I suggest people check out the live round thread for my thoughts on the rocketbladez today.

I'm still grinning from ear to ear.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Conditions were brutal, never got above 37 degrees and winds were 15-20+mph

165 yard 6 iron up hill into the wind
jybura8u.jpg

Stuck it
duqy7a7y.jpg

175 yard 5 iron dead into 20 mph wind
y6abu3es.jpg

Stuck it
ajyva3ap.jpg

175 yard 7 iron with left to right cross wind
ryta7yqa.jpg

One hopped and hit the pin, bounced back into fringe
ava3etep.jpg

207 yard 6 iron with wind moving from 7 to 1
apezu7y3.jpg

Stuck it
jevy2yzu.jpg

I don't think that's the case at all. Mine were ordered 2° flat and have the notch.

Jeez dude. Nice shots!

Great stuff Jlukes! Some credit has to go to the Indian!

Jeez dude. Nice shots!

I've never been good in the wind, much less the wind and cold. The Rocketbladez just performed incredible and just gave me so much confidence even with 20 mph wind in my face. I just dropped down a few clubs and let the Bladez do the work. I used to over swing when hitting into the wind, but the Bladez give me the confidence that the ball is going to cut through the wind and land soft on the greens.

Just amazing tech.

Very nice work!

Very nice work!

The Bladez let me swing nice and easy. Hard to explain to those that haven't hit these in the wind just how well they get through the wind while still landing soft.

Great round jlukes! The forgiveness of these irons is uncanny. In fact after hitting these for 15 minutes at the demo, I felt sad going back to my old irons to play a round at that same course. Of course as you more experienced golfers might predict, I was hitting my old irons better than I ever have by letting the clubs do the work. I guess as the great Yogi Berra said, "50% of the game is 90% mental."

A few observations from my recent practice/testing sessions.

First of all, the distance control I see from the PW has been very good. I tend to use that club more for partial swings for specific distances than I do full swings and one thing that concerned me (prior to testing) was whether I'd see the same level of precision that I do with my old irons. While I don't have data to back up any Bladez vs 588 CB claims, I will say that my 100 yard swing produced an very pleasing number of 100 yard shots (plus/minus a few yards). Spin on these shots was acceptable.

I hit the 9 iron extremely high. In ways, I think it's almost too high. Ball heights are a good 10-15 feet higher than what I hit my mid irons. I like a high ball, but there are limits to that. Think I might be giving up a little yardage there. As it is, there is a pretty healthy gap from my 7 iron to 9 iron - about 30 yards.

I really feel the toe releasing with the scoring irons. As in, I can actually feel the face closing down in my follow through. I don't know why that is, or why I don't notice it with the mid irons, but it's there. Results tend to be balls conisntently left of center on the grid. I do realize that's much more likely a me issue than a club issue, but thought I'd mention it.

Spin is lower with full 9 irons than I'd normally expect, though the launch is up there. I just don't put a lot of spin on the ball with full swings, regardless of the club. Nothing that would inhibit stopping ability, but it is interesting to me.

may have missed this but are we discussing the tour version?

Back