TaylorMade SIM Drivers

I went to the PGA superstore on Friday to try out the new SpeedZone driver and I ended up testing it along with the SIM, SIM Max and the Mavrik. I was really shocked with the SIM and SIM Max. I've never gotten along with and TM driver before and this one has given me something to ponder on.

I hit the Speedzone first and was fighting the lefts bad. I finally got a couple decent shots with it when the fitter came over and asked if I wanted to try the SIM. The first thing I noticed about the SIM was the ball speed jumped up about 5mph on average. The flight was lower and the spin was in the 1500-1700 range. I would probably want to loft up a bit. It was definitely getting out there but it was also quite accurate as well. I was consistently getting the little baby fade shape that I prefer. The Max was just a hair lower in speed but super accurate. Then I grabbed a Mavrik to compare and it felt like I could swing it faster but the ball speed was back down to the same range as the Speedzone. Neither was quite as long or came close to the ball speed I was seeing with SIM. I was hitting the SIM in the smoke green 70 and alternating between the stiff and X. I was just trying stuff out and not really looking to dial anything in but I think the SIM warrants further testing.
I experienced the exact same thing with the SIM Max (spin was 2200 range) when I compared it to the Mavrik and Speedzone drivers. I only need to compare the SIM Max to my current gamer before pulling the trigger.

I had time between client meetings and went to Roger Dunn to burn some time. Again compared the SIM vs Mavrik and Mavrik was just launching way to high robbing me of distance and ball speed was 4-5 mph less compared to the SIM.

Top numbers is the SIM Max at 9* with Ventus Blue.
Bottom numbers is the SIM at 10.5* with Diamana shaft

I personally liked the SIM more, but I have justed changed to the old Diamana Limited S+ Blue after 2 years playing Evenflow Black. That could be why I preferred the SIM more.

Attachments

• AA594AC7-2B80-4CBC-9C1F-61C45DCC1D45.jpeg
    AA594AC7-2B80-4CBC-9C1F-61C45DCC1D45.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Just hit the SIM and SIM Max this morning @ Club Champion (Willowbrook, IL) against my M5 gamer. All were hit using my Graphite Design BB6s shaft... Much like the M6, the SIM Max was a total miss for me. The SIM on the other hand, WOW!!!

Both clubs hit @ standard 9.0 loft. The details below are on average per TrackMan data...

M5 (both weights full toe):
108.7 club speed
159.3 ball speed
1.47 smash
14.2 launch
1790 spin
265.2 carry (278.8 longest carry)
294.4 total (305.5 longest total)

SIM (weight fully toe):
110.3 club speed
163 ball speed
1.48 smash
14.0 launch
1690 spin
277.1 carry (286.7 longest carry)
306.3 total (311.2 longest total)

Overall, the SIM was an improvement in performance in basically every category. Most surprising to me were the club speed, ball speed and the carry/total distance numbers. The dispersion was shockingly tight and consistent, too. I honestly did NOT expect this, but I couldn't argue the results.

Last edited:
Just hit the SIM and SIM Max this morning @ Club Champion (Willowbrook, IL) against my M5 gamer. All were hit using my Graphite Design BB6s shaft... Much like the M6, the SIM Max was a total miss for me. The SIM on the other hand, WOW!!!

Both clubs hit @ standard 9.0 loft. The details below are on average per TrackMan data...

108.7 club speed
159.3 ball speed
1.47 smash
14.2 launch
1790 spin

SIM (weight fully toe):
111.3 club speed
163 ball speed
1.48 smash
14.0 launch
1690 spin

Overall, the SIM was an improvement in performance in basically every category. Most surprising to me were the club speed, ball speed and the carry/total distance numbers. The dispersion was shockingly tight and consistent, too. I honestly did NOT expect this, but I couldn't argue the results.

You got 3 mph more club head speed but less than 4 mph of ball speed, but with a better smash factor? That is super strange.

You got 3 mph more club head speed but less than 4 mph of ball speed, but with a better smash factor? That is super strange.

Yes, those are the TrackMan numbers... ***EDITED... My SIM ss was 110.3, not 111.3

What I also liked is the SIM needs to be lofted up and to my eye seeing more loft provides confidence I can grip and rip without worrying about spraying it.

- Spin: it was definitely the lowest spinning of everything I hit. Anywhere from 1,700-2,300rpm is what I was seeing but most often around 2,000rpm. That could be great for the most part but could potentially cause some of those wounded duck, fall out of the sky drives like I used to see with my M1.

I guess I shouldn't get my panties in a wad without hearing some more feedback on the Max, but I absolutely loathe seeing spin numbers so low. 1,700rpm is just not playable unless you not only button it every time, but also have pretty much perfect launch conditions and face-to-path. otherwise, misses will be unplayable.

- Dispersion: I was somewhat inconsistent with this but was pretty playable. I had a bit of a two way miss but it wasn't extreme in either direction. My misses I wouldn't have been concerned about getting me in to trouble for the most part.

yeah, that's not surprising given how low spin it is.

Reactions: KEV
I am pretty intrigued by the feedback generally received on this driver. Plenty of people seem to be raving about it, which is great. But to my eye at least the spin numbers posted or reported seem way way low. It makes me wonder about actual playability and forgiveness on the course. Can 1600-1800 spin tee shots be anything other than wounded ducks when we miss the middle? How will this be something other than another SLDR? Those are honest questions, btw.

I am pretty intrigued by the feedback generally received on this driver. Plenty of people seem to be raving about it, which is great. But to my eye at least the spin numbers posted or reported seem way way low. It makes me wonder about actual playability and forgiveness on the course. Can 1600-1800 spin tee shots be anything other than wounded ducks when we miss the middle? How will this be something other than another SLDR? Those are honest questions, btw.
Easy to increase spin; loft up and use a mid launch and mid spin shaft.

I have found the SIM to be the lowest launching and lowest spinning of the new assortment of drivers. It is a bit of a ball speed monster though. I think it will require a bit more fine tuning and proper fitting than some of the others will. Seems a bit more fickle.

I guess I shouldn't get my panties in a wad without hearing some more feedback on the Max, but I absolutely loathe seeing spin numbers so low. 1,700rpm is just not playable unless you not only button it every time, but also have pretty much perfect launch conditions and face-to-path. otherwise, misses will be unplayable.

yeah, that's not surprising given how low spin it is.

And that's the problem with testing drivers indoor on a monitor unfortunately. On the screen low spin shots don't show up as those wounded duck drives. Would they on the course? It's quite possible and is what I saw with the M1 when I played it. For me without seeing it on an actual course I really can't answer that unfortunately.

While true, adding loft can also reduce speed.
Then pair a mid launch mid spin shaft and keep the loft at 9*. Im sure, if I pair the Mavrik with a low launch and low spin shaft...it will lower my ball flight.

Easy to increase spin; loft up and use a mid launch and mid spin shaft.
I know. I was fit into a low spin option with it lofted up. It probably depends on guys SS but I’m not sure we can lost up enough to get from 1600 to a more optimal range. I just have a feeling we are going to see a wide dispersion of results with this club come spring - absolute bombs when we nut it but death when we miss the middle.

108.7 club speed
159.3 ball speed
1.47 smash
14.2 launch
1790 spin

SIM (weight fully toe):
110.3 club speed
163 ball speed
1.48 smash
14.0 launch
1690 spin

Did you try the sim in a higher loft? Looking at your numbers I would be interested to see what happens when you lift up. Could make the sim even better for you.

I really want to try out the 10.5° SIM next time. This thing has me intrigued.

Then pair a mid launch mid spin shaft and keep the loft at 9*. Im sure, if I pair the Mavrik with a low launch and low spin shaft...it will lower my ball flight.

Lots of options, add loft, change the shaft, change the ball, change your swing (not saying your is bad). Play with it and adjust. Lots of options. For most people adding loft and spin is a benefit not a hindrance.

Lots of options, add loft, change the shaft, change the ball, change your swing (not saying your is bad). Play with it and adjust. Lots of options. For most people adding loft and spin is a benefit not a hindrance.
Absolutely, spin and loft provides forgiveness.

While true, adding loft can also reduce speed.
I can only go by my numbers and the 9.0* SIM Max vs the 10.5* SIM provided the same ball speed. May not be the same for someone else though.

any M6 players here? comparisons between the M6 and SIM Max?

It's good seeing a TM driver make an impressive showing. Seems like it's been a while since we've seen them make these kind of gains over a previous release

any M6 players here? comparisons between the M6 and SIM Max?
I have the M6 driver and the SIM Max spin is considerably less. Feel and sound is similar.

I have the M6 driver and the SIM Max spin is considerably less. Feel and sound is similar.

good to know...less spin probably isn't in my best interest.

I just returned from my range. Outdoor Trackman. Very reliable numbers.

SIM with Helium, plus 2* to get it to 10*
SIM Max with Smoke Green, stock 10.5(?)
Mavrick with Ventus, stock (10.5?)
My Flash SZ with Smoke +1 to make it 11.5

I hit 5-7 shots with each club then rotated another one in. I probably hit 20-25 with each. I turned and looked at the numbers after each swing. Looking to see if anything anomalous showed up. FWIW my swing today was 3 to 4* from the inside and AoA of 4-5*

General observations:
- if you like the “thwack” sound of carbon heads either SIM or the Mavrik are for you
- I had more swings at 95mph with the SIM options, and some in the 93mph range; that was basically reversed with the Callaway drivers.
- Spin with the SIM options ranged from a low of like 1400 to a high of like 3400. That range was tighter with both Callaway drivers, more like 2200-3200.
- Dispersion was easily worst with the SIM drivers and easily best with Mavrik
- No discernible ball speed, carry or total distance differences between any of them (The TM wasn’t auto set to calculate smash factor and I didn’t manually calculate it every time. The times I did Calc it I was in the 1.44-1.46 range, and that was pretty consistent across all models)

My conclusion is to be a little wary of these indoor simulator numbers some of you are getting. Maybe other people will get ball speed improvements, I definitely didn’t over my 2018 model driver. I think this release seems to be about what happens when we miss the middle. If I’m right about that based on today I saw clear winners and losers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEV
Did you try the sim in a higher loft? Looking at your numbers I would be interested to see what happens when you lift up. Could make the sim even better for you.

As a high ball hitter, I did not...and I have no doubt I'll hit it plenty high in the air. I tee the ball high and hit up on it, so I'm sure the launch will change some once I use my tees at the tee up height I prefer vs. the adjustable tees they have @ Club Champion (it just doesn't get quite as high as I prefer it)

Back