TaylorMade SIM Drivers

True that. I just know there’s been more consistently positive feedback out of the Max than we have seen since, what, the M2?
It's funny you say this because I literally said to my buddy as I was hitting it that I haven't had this "automatic straight bombs" feeling with a driver since the 2016 M2.

We shall see how it does on the course. I have 6 rounds over 4 days this weekend so by the end we should know where we stand.

It's funny you say this because I literally said to my buddy as I was hitting it that I haven't had this "automatic straight bombs" feeling with a driver since the 2016 M2.

We shall see how it does on the course. I have 6 rounds over 4 days this weekend so by the end we should know where we stand.
I think it’s the last driver of theirs that really “wow’d” me, the M6 was damn close, but not quite.

SIM Max is a great driver!!!! I love the look, sound, and feel of it..... but surprisingly Cobra Xtreme outperformed it so I unloaded mine last month

and believe me no-one is more shocked than myself

The MAX is where it is at. I love the slightly deeper face and the higher MOI. There is a definite decoupling of launch and spin with the standard SIM you do not get with the max. If you are high speed and hit it square you can get some real big drives with the standard. But over all and for most people the MAX will be more consistent from swing to swing is what I have seen.

I mean the hangup, myself included, initially was the shape looking like an F9, but I think there are more things going on than just that which it’s not getting a lot of credit for around here until more recently.
Maybe, yeah. I’ve written the Sim driver off but I’ve enjoyed the hybrid. Maybe I should not have jumped to write it off.

Maybe, yeah. I’ve written the Sim driver off but I’ve enjoyed the hybrid. Maybe I should not have jumped to write it off.
Well, I bought the regular SIM a week ago and sold it after 1 session on the monitor.
To me the Max is infinitely better, but I'm such a low spin player so it shouldn't be surprising.

I have had the Sim Max in the bag for about 3 weeks. I have always been a fan of TM drivers in the looks department and IMO this is the best looking driver they have produced. The driver has a solid feel to it that provides good feedback on location of strike when hit center of the face to toe side. I have no idea what a heel strike feels like as I don't ever hit the heel. There doesn't seem to be much performance loss in toe strikes versus center strikes.

Performance wise I am on average 5 to 10 yds longer than with M5 (previous driver). The biggest gain however is play-ability. There just doesn't seem to be a big miss in the driver. Normal ball flight is medium height with slight fade. At the beginning the driver did seem slightly draw biased. Lofting down and slightly open allowed me to hit the little fade and still be able to turn it over if needed. All in all really solid driver.

Well, I bought the regular SIM a week ago and sold it after 1 session on the monitor.
To me the Max is infinitely better, but I'm such a low spin player so it shouldn't be surprising.
Based on what I've read this morning, the Max appears to be the beloved version this year.

Based on what I've read this morning, the Max appears to be the beloved version this year.

I gamed the sim and the sim max at different times this year. The sim is the bomber of the two, but the shallow face turned me off. The max was a great club but just too high spin for me. I wish there was a way to get the deeper face of the max with the lower spin of the regular sim. I even tried hot melting the max with some forward neutral melt but it still spun a lot more than optimal. I still think they are the best looking crowns in golf right now.

I gamed the sim and the sim max at different times this year. The sim is the bomber of the two, but the shallow face turned me off. The max was a great club but just too high spin for me. I wish there was a way to get the deeper face of the max with the lower spin of the regular sim. I even tried hot melting the max with some forward neutral melt but it still spun a lot more than optimal. I still think they are the best looking crowns in golf right now.
Any idea how high the spin was? Or the delta between the two heads?

Im certainly in the minority as for liking the SIM for reasons that some of you don't like it.
The smaller and shallower face. The low spin and the overall smaller footprint.
I wasnt a fan of the feel with the SIM Max either.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Any idea how high the spin was? Or the delta between the two heads?

For the Max I was able to test it on the GCquad at the local simulator before they closed. Stock max I was averaging about 3000 spin with the head lofted at 8.5 degrees. Then I melted it with some forward melt and got it down to 2871 on average with a launch of 14.7 degrees with the head lofted at 8.5. The regular sim (also at 8.5) had spin down to ≈ 2500 (don’t have the exact numbers on me) but the shallowness off the face just turned me off to the head.

For the Max I was able to test it on the GCquad at the local simulator before they closed. Stock max I was averaging about 3000 spin with the head lofted at 8.5 degrees. Then I melted it with some forward melt and got it down to 2871 on average with a launch of 14.7 degrees with the head lofted at 8.5. The regular sim (also at 8.5) had spin down to ≈ 2500 (don’t have the exact numbers on me) but the shallowness off the face just turned me off to the head.
Dang - I would have run far, far away from 3000 RPM at my swing speed. And long before I tried to hot melt. 2500 isn't so terrible though. Good info, thanks!

Dang - I would have run far, far away from 3000 RPM at my swing speed. And long before I tried to hot melt. 2500 isn't so terrible though. Good info, thanks!

Yeah, I agree. The only reason I tried to melt it into a usable spin number is I really liked the look of the head. I just couldn’t get it to work for my swing.

Yeah, I agree. The only reason I tried to melt it into a usable spin number is I really liked the look of the head. I just couldn’t get it to work for my swing.
Could you bring it down with shafts?

Could you bring it down with shafts?

I tried that as well. I think if memory serves the lowest numbers I got were with the Tour AD IZ which I found to be pretty low spin. I wanted to give it a go with a BB but wasn’t able to find one before selling the head.

I'm super eager and excited to get my SIM Max on a monitor. My Epic Flash has been a ball speed beast since I got it so I'm excited to see if:
a) SIM Max can keep up with it (or surpass it?). Would be happy with 155 average - but I want to be able to dip into the 160s on great swings.
b) Spin numbers are where I want them (2300 ish on center strikes)
I already know I love the flight.

When I hit the regular SIM on a GC 2 my thin strikes were spinning at 2000 and everything else just dropped off from there. No bueno. Flight was awful.

In this gig, don’t ever write anything off ;)

I have had the Sim Max in the bag for about 3 weeks. I have always been a fan of TM drivers in the looks department and IMO this is the best looking driver they have produced. The driver has a solid feel to it that provides good feedback on location of strike when hit center of the face to toe side. I have no idea what a heel strike feels like as I don't ever hit the heel. There doesn't seem to be much performance loss in toe strikes versus center strikes.

Performance wise I am on average 5 to 10 yds longer than with M5 (previous driver). The biggest gain however is play-ability. There just doesn't seem to be a big miss in the driver. Normal ball flight is medium height with slight fade. At the beginning the driver did seem slightly draw biased. Lofting down and slightly open allowed me to hit the little fade and still be able to turn it over if needed. All in all really solid driver.

I can attest to that. You were killing that thing last weekend. Makes me wonder if I need to move to the Max

I’m now torn between the regular sim and max head. Hit both with different shafts and like them both. The max had a shaft that was way too light and spin was high but I think I could easily fix that with the correct shaft. The 2 heads did feel different with the sim feeling more firm. Really liked both and didn’t find the sim to be fade biased. For those who have spent some time with both did you find the regular sim to be more
fade biased?

I’m now torn between the regular sim and max head. Hit both with different shafts and like them both. The max had a shaft that was way too light and spin was high but I think I could easily fix that with the correct shaft. The 2 heads did feel different with the sim feeling more firm. Really liked both and didn’t find the sim to be fade biased. For those who have spent some time with both did you find the regular sim to be more
fade biased?

I took each on the course before ultimately settling on the Max. I did feel the regular SIM was giving me some baby fades, even on center strikes. With the Max, I'd only get a slight fade if I caught the ball towards the heel. Then again, it might have been the non-VeloCore shaft, but with the Blue VeloCore version I am currently using, definitely liking the dispersion. I also hit both on a launch monitor and couldn't get the Sim to spin 2,000 or above, whereas it was around 2,400 with the Max.

Regarding how light the head is, aftermarket weights are available from Billy Bob's. Put a 19g in mine and the overall head weight is perfect, at about 195g (D1@45"). With the previous G410 LST, that head was about 10g heavier, and I could just never completely square it up at impact. It was quite fade prone, which I hated.

As it has been brought up before, the majority of golfers will do just fine with the Max, especially since it is more forgiving.

Last edited:
Went back on my way home from work and hit the heads with the same shaft. Very similar ball speeds with similar launch. The sim did spin slightly less but the max was a straighter ball flight. Ordered a 9* max with the Lin-q purple with no tipping. Can’t wait for it to get here and battle it out with the g410 lst

Finally got a chance to hit my SIM that's been sitting at the apartment today at the range. Been so long I forgot how weird it looks and feels compared to my Mavrik SZ. Had some really good results with one shaft I wouldn't have guessed, and can't wait to unbury the rest of my shafts to keep dialing it in. Some really interesting ball flights and the wife took a chunk out of the toe, so I think some hot melt might be in order now that's it's not a reseller.

Last edited:
Back