TaylorMade SIM Drivers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great write up!

wow hzrdus smoke green for the SIM....any idea if thats the real one or made for version?? I know the Ventus shafts dont have the Velocore throughout the whole shaft

Great write up indeed. Nice shaft offering, wow! And I absolutely love the colour way.

Nice write-up Gary, I too wonder if the Ventus shaft offerings are the real deal or somewhat watered down version. Not a big fan of the bottom, find the “rudder” rather large.

Are they calling the 8 degree head offering, Rocket?

Nice intro article there Gary.

I don’t hate the looks, but the story....it’s again them being super reactionary which is something they never were when the machine was rolling.

I know they looked good on TV this weekend, that’s for sure.

Nice write-up Gary, I too wonder if the Ventus shaft offerings are the real deal or somewhat watered down version. Not a big fan of the bottom, find the “rudder” rather large.

Ventus are not the real deal. The real ones have "Velocore" technology throughout the shaft. These stock ones I believe only have it in the tip section

Good stuff Gary! Interesting to see they're including the Ventus Blue ($350 shaft) in the Max model. I'm definitely going to test this one out!

Good stuff Gary! Interesting to see they're including the Ventus Blue ($350 shaft) in the Max model. I'm definitely going to test this one out!

Fuji sold the name out, its a different shaft.

UST Helium stock offering? That's nice (y) Can't get beyond the sole design though.

I’ll give it a try as this may be the year i put a new driver in the bag. But I needs to be freaking magic to get a Callaway driver out of my bag.

I don’t really care but it’s funny how with some brands, people are so quick to say, “looks like this or that just rebranded”. Yet most places I’ve seen little of anything about this being a “copy” of the f9 or so (assuming that’s what Gary was referring to in his statement about shape/aero).
Again not a huge deal to me as 1) I’m not a big taylormade guy 2) I’m sure they have their own “tech” in it and 3) as jman said, it seems as if taylormade has officially gone catch up mode in the driver game. Year after year it just seems there’s no real innovation like callaway and cobra are making these days in the woods area.

anyway, these actually do look nice, but not sure if I’ll hit them really.

I don’t really care but it’s funny how with some brands, people are so quick to say, “looks like this or that just rebranded”. Yet most places I’ve seen little of anything about this being a “copy” of the f9 or so (assuming that’s what Gary was referring to in his statement about shape/aero).
Again not a huge deal to me as 1) I’m not a big taylormade guy 2) I’m sure they have their own “tech” in it and 3) as jman said, it seems as if taylormade has officially gone catch up mode in the driver game. Year after year it just seems there’s no real innovation like callaway and cobra are making these days in the woods area.

anyway, these actually do look nice, but not sure if I’ll hit them really.

I think people here are just more open to speaking about what they see for no fear of being obliterated like they would by the members elsewhere. We are lucky to have the readership we do, no place else like it.

I think people here are just more open to speaking about what they see for no fear of being obliterated like they would by the members elsewhere. We are lucky to have the readership we do, no place else like it.
This is exactly what I like about this community, and why I look forward to reading posts.

I agree, for the most part, people accept other ideas/opinions here better than other places.

You used to be a taylormade driver guy right (maybe still are, not sure as I don’t have signatures activated on my phone browsing)? How do you feel about their direction in the woods? Their fw and rescues still seem to be top notch but the drivers just seem to be lacking something compared to some other companies.

I agree, for the most part, people accept other ideas/opinions here better than other places.

You used to be a taylormade driver guy right (maybe still are, not sure as I don’t have signatures activated on my phone browsing)? How do you feel about their direction in the woods? Their fw and rescues still seem to be top notch but the drivers just seem to be lacking something compared to some other companies.
I played the M5/M6 80% of 2019.

I think there’s solid performance, but nothing that differentiates anymore besides tour use, and that sucks because as mentioned in here that have some kick ass guys on the R&D side, so I can’t help but wonder how restricted they are...or aren’t.

When you’re small and reactionary, no one notices. When you’re TM and reactionary, everyone notices.

Man, that is one good looking driver. Alex Etches said in his review it's the best sounding driver he has ever tested and he gamed the F9. Im more interested in the new Callaway but who knows.

I think there’s solid performance, but nothing that differentiates anymore besides tour use, and that sucks because as mentioned in here that have some kick ass guys on the R&D side, so I can’t help but wonder how restricted they are...or aren’t.

When you’re small and reactionary, no one notices. When you’re TM and reactionary, everyone notices.

My take is rather similar, and having hit the drivers I enjoyed them quite a bit. The opinions are very much more about what Taylormade created, rather than anything else in my opinion. Here was a company on top of the world in innovation just a handful of years ago. Everything they put out, was different or ahead of the curve to what others were doing. It didn't make them better or worse, but it was differentiating.

Similar to when Pix came out, or Callaway came out with the TEN, THPers notice a trend. In this instance, Taylormade's story for the last few releases has been similar to other items in the market place. That can be a great thing, because those other items have been fantastic. But when you are ahead of the curve for so long, it is very different.

Using the Hi Toe as an example, @Jman said while reactionary, he preferred them to PM Grind and other Hi-Toe options because he thought they were more refined. This might be no different in the area of drivers.

When I was typing all of this up I was confused by the mix and match nature of the stock shaft and grips. I would think people would want the same grip on their SIM clubs but they are all over the place lol

Completely agree about being noticed and what not.

also, i think you’re Hitting the nail on the head about R&D. A few companies out there and one specifically that is no longer in the hard foods have great peoplein that area and the parent company just doesn’t allow them to flourish. Like you said, too tight of restrictions.

Fuji sold the name out, its a different shaft.

That is the best way I can think of putting it when talking about shafts being offered in oem builds that differ from the aftermarket design.

"Shape In Motion"
"Simply Interesting Mechanics"
"Speed Injected Mold"

Sheesh .... who thinks up this nonsense? :unsure: Just to get a name on the club? Every OEM goes thru this. Why can't we just stick with one designation & go from there? :rolleyes:

Back