TaylorMade SIM Drivers

So I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t Taylormade. I troll them when I can and don’t give them a chance to ever make my bag. Having said that, SIM line up looks great and the fairways will be game changers for some. The drive me head shapes take a moment to adjust to but I have to give TM props on creating a line that cosmetically is so appealing.
SIM

DCBDE598-E183-4794-9D50-CC3D0E0F33F0.jpeg
SIM MAX

2D40FC93-F22A-486A-94A1-DEDC6227378B.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the look at address. Not in the market and I’m another brand guy but I do like the look.

We just got the rest of our demos in at work today. Is there anything you guys would like me to test out, measure, or compare at work the next couple days?

What's your speed and flight? Can you compare the ventus red 5 to diamana s+ limited shafts?

What's your speed and flight? Can you compare the ventus red 5 to diamana s+ limited shafts?
I haven't hit a lot of drivers over winter. Been mostly working on my swing so haven't hit balls much. Typically I'm a 113 SS, ~160-165 ball speed, 14-17 launch and high spin. It's tough for me to stay around low 2000s.
EDIT: These numbers are from Trackman

Last edited:
TXG’s review is up and it was a comparison of the standard SIM to the M5. It was lower launching, lower spinning, and as a result longer when set up the same (loft, shaft, length, adapter setting, sw, etc.). They are saying it’s better in every way over the M5.
And he has a 170 mph ball speed! Average golfers don’t sniff that. So, is it practical to go by his numbers? For me no and my ball speed is between 154-160 mph depending on the day.
Probably why TXG states SIM is faster than last year’s M5, but Shelds states they are the same when he tested them. Then Michael Newton states SIM is faster than M5. Net it depends on the individual player and what they are looking for.

Last edited:
This is the first TM driver in a couple of years that has my full attention. Golfer me is really hoping they happen to have some demo heads at Club Champion this weekend; My wallet...not so much.

So I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t Taylormade. I troll them when I can and don’t give them a chance to ever make my bag. Having said that, SIM line up looks great and the fairways will be game changers for some. The drive me head shapes take a moment to adjust to but I have to give TM props on creating a line that cosmetically is so appealing.
SIM

View attachment 8921617
SIM MAX

View attachment 8921618

I know a lot of people feel differently, but the crown of the recent M3 to M6 releases and now these SIM drivers make them look enormous behind the ball to me. I don't know what it is, but I really don't like it at all. I had a helluva good day with M3 and bought it, then had some serious struggles. In my experience, TM has been pushing too hard into the low spin space and leaving the rest of us behind. I need launch, and I need spin. And their drivers recently haven't given me enough of either. I welcome with open arms the re-introduction from other OEMs of drivers with help in those two areas.

I know a lot of people feel differently, but the crown of the recent M3 to M6 releases and now these SIM drivers make them look enormous behind the ball to me. I don't know what it is, but I really don't like it at all. I had a helluva good day with M3 and bought it, then had some serious struggles. In my experience, TM has been pushing too hard into the low spin space and leaving the rest of us behind. I need launch, and I need spin. And their drivers recently haven't given me enough of either. I welcome with open arms the re-introduction from other OEMs of drivers with help in those two areas.
That's the tough part about club design because I'm the exact opposite. I'd use a piece of rebar glued into a head if it gave me less than 2000 spin. For a higher launch and higher spinning club I'd highly recommend Cleveland. I havent hit their new Turbo but the previous generation Launcher was incredible in the right hands. Even for me it was just dead straight. The reason I went away was the spin was too high but if that's what you need, you have to give them a shot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That is what I kinda look for to gauge actual club performance... But having it played by someone who plays like me, or having it in my own hands is the decision maker...
The good news is that I might actually play worse than sooooo many people. I'm a great person to test the whole face. Let other people tell you about the sweet spot on a driver...

SIM

View attachment 8921617
SIM MAX

View attachment 8921618

Maybe it's the blue or maybe it's the chalk, but that looks really good.

The good news is that I might actually play worse than sooooo many people. I'm a great person to test the whole face. Let other people tell you about the sweet spot on a driver...

Lololol...

The shot I posted here was my best shot with the ventus red. That'll give you a basic idea on what my path and launch typically are.

Just had a quick little 15 minute session on my lunch and I was a little shocked with the results.

First for feel. The ventus red felt smooth as butter. It was awesome. The diamana wasn't overly stiff or heavy or anything. It's almost like comparing an even flow to a Tensei. The Tensei isnt harsh by any means but even flow is just nicer.

I was at 112 ss today. I used both shafts in the standard SIM at 9* with the weight right in the middle. For whatever reason the attack angle with the diamana was averaging 0. I was +/- 1* but the ventus red was consistently in the up 2-3 range. This resulted in lower spin numbers with the ventus vs the diamana. Ventus was around 2300-2400 but the diamana was hovering around 2700. I was pushing the diamana right a lot and not closing the face while the ventus was a tight draw. Club path on both was fairly neutral on average. Most shots were anywhere from -0.5 to +0.5 but some the ones I leaked right with the diamana were 1 or 2 inside out.

I know I didn't have a ton of time to hit the them today and the numbers with the diamana might be a bit skewed because I started with it so I wasn't warmed up but when I went back to it after the ventus i was rushing to get shots in before I had to clock back in.

Take everything with a grain of salt today. I'll definitely go back and hit the diamana when I get the chance.

Long story short: the ventus felt absolutely incredible and was so stable and gave me dead straight balls. The diamana felt good but not as good as the ventus and I tended to push them to the right.

I always play a high 60s or low 70 gram x stiff shaft to try and kill spin and a 50 gram regular flex was just bombing down the middle. Just goes to show how much a custom fitting would help haha. I'll have to try a bunch of stuff when I get fit for this driver.

edfdc4f1c963b57f358d67b906591f12.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the way this driver looks. I think the slight cosmetic changes to the crown and the chalk or whatever you want to call it looks good. Better than the grey of last year.

Did you try lofting up ? DJ plays a 10.5 head and Camilo was always in their HL head every iteration.

I always play a 12 or 13:5* head and the M3 in 12* launch well enough for me.

The shot I posted here was my best shot with the ventus red. That'll give you a basic idea on what my path and launch typically are.

Just had a quick little 15 minute session on my lunch and I was a little shocked with the results.

First for feel. The ventus red felt smooth as butter. It was awesome. The diamana wasn't overly stiff or heavy or anything. It's almost like comparing an even flow to a Tensei. The Tensei isnt harsh by any means but even flow is just nicer.

I was at 112 ss today. I used both shafts in the standard SIM at 9* with the weight right in the middle. For whatever reason the attack angle with the diamana was averaging 0. I was +/- 1* but the ventus red was consistently in the up 2-3 range. This resulted in lower spin numbers with the ventus vs the diamana. Ventus was around 2300-2400 but the diamana was hovering around 2700. I was pushing the diamana right a lot and not closing the face while the ventus was a tight draw. Club path on both was fairly neutral on average. Most shots were anywhere from -0.5 to +0.5 but some the ones I leaked right with the diamana were 1 or 2 inside out.

I know I didn't have a ton of time to hit the them today and the numbers with the diamana might be a bit skewed because I started with it so I wasn't warmed up but when I went back to it after the ventus i was rushing to get shots in before I had to clock back in.

Take everything with a grain of salt today. I'll definitely go back and hit the diamana when I get the chance.

Long story short: the ventus felt absolutely incredible and was so stable and gave me dead straight balls. The diamana felt good but not as good as the ventus and I tended to push them to the right.

edfdc4f1c963b57f358d67b906591f12.jpg

Did you hit the red in another weight category? I thought the 50g was only weight available for the red.....

Did you hit the red in another weight category? I thought the 50g was only weight available for the red.....
No the only ventus red we had shipped in with our demo stock was the 50 gram regular. Everything else waa ventus blue, helium or diamana

Did you try lofting up ? DJ plays a 10.5 head and Camilo was always in their HL head every iteration.

To be fair, DJ has played around 10* going all the way back to R9. Lower spin hasn’t changed that, but his iterations have not always been the same anyway though.

Great control on your part ,hitting regular flex with 115+ speed
It was effortless with that ventus. It felt stable without feeling too stiff or harsh. The last time I was this shocked with the feel of a shaft was with my matrix prototype shaft that I dont even know the specs of lol. I really want to try out the blue or black because that felt so great.

It was effortless with that ventus. It felt stable without feeling too stiff or harsh. The last time I was this shocked with the feel of a shaft was with my matrix prototype shaft that I dont even know the specs of lol. I really want to try out the blue or black because that felt so great.

Sounds like a shaft for this old guy to try! Thanks

Sounds like a shaft for this old guy to try! Thanks
I'd give it a shot for sure. The helium is a nice shaft as well. It worked well in the Cobra F9 last year for a lot of people. I custom ordered the helium almost half the time vs the rest of the options combined for customers. It'll be interesting to see how it works in this SIM head.

I'd give it a shot for sure. The helium is a nice shaft as well. It worked well in the Cobra F9 last year for a lot of people. I custom ordered the helium almost half the time vs the rest of the options combined for customers. It'll be interesting to see how it works in this SIM head.

These aren't available until after the show ,correct?

Well I showed up at the club and was handed this GEM today. 6 swings later, it won’t be leaving the bag.

I have not been a fan of the sound of the last couple of Taylormade drivers. The SIM improved upon that, to me anyway. The shape of the head works for me as well. The off center weighting provided a nice launch in the standard 10.5* setting with the slide in neutral.

The explosiveness off the face might be a new driver thing, as they all seem to do that, but it was noticed by the pro, assistant pro and a buddy of mine. He actually asked for a model of his own. They handed him a 7.5* with a 6.5 Smoke shaft and he was launching them along side me. I can’t wait til tomorrow when I get to see it in action again

8fd45f6ce4a7a9322daa335bc5c5a130.plist
0ebd64247af447d06d1276c0942b16d2.jpg
ffc6bc8c67b1491f2892305a5bac31a8.jpg
f18909e4f4f9359ecc5b62812e7542a9.plist
828820caac93ef924785393ca1d31533.plist

Here a tight little grouping on the second hole. It’s been a bit wet so this location hasn’t been reached this winter until today.
76688dea9237e1814e19945ae33a5ce7.jpg

Little sound test

Last edited:

it was at a pretty high end fitting that i paid a lot of money for, so i just hit whatever he put in front of me

Back