TaylorMade SIM Drivers

I just purchased the Sim Max with the stock red Ventus shaft. Good results on the driving range but nothing that much better than my M6 gamer. Haven't had it out on the course yet. Are there any M6 users that are seeing much better results? Just curious....
I'll be updating any future results from my upcoming range sessions since there are no sporting events to watch for a while. :-(

I got my first 9 holes in with the SIM on my home course and the honeymoon phase was in full effect. It was about 48* and breezy when I teed off and the course is soaked. Here are some results and thoughts from the 5 holes I pulled driver on:

1st hole: slight helping wind. I hit a well struck shot but it was a defensive pull to my spot in the left rough. I hit there a ton because I'm afraid of the OB on the right. It was in about the same spot as my driver normally goes.

3rd hole: pretty stiff crosswind from left to right. I piped the drive and it was dead straight down the fairway and absolutely cut through the wind. It landed in a swamp in the middle of the fairway and was one of the longer drives I've ever hit on that hole. I would love to know how far it would have rolled with our normal dry fairways.

4th hole: again a pretty stiff and slightly hurting right to left crosswind. I hit it well, maybe slightly thin and it definitely was short but right in the middle of the fairway. I'm not sure if it was due to the thin strike (which I didn't think was very thin) or the ball but it was shorter than I thought it would be.

5th hole: a stiff left to right crosswind. I pushed it a hair but it went about my average distance on that hole in to the right rough.

6th hole: dead in to a stiff wind. I had a bit shorter backswing (which I commonly battle) but I hit the ball well, right down the middle but much shorter than where I normally land. I'm going to chalk that up completely to the wind because one of my playing partners had the exact same result.

Overall it was a great maiden voyage on my home course. I would say it was a pretty good driving day so the real test will come on those off days. I do think I may have to lower the loft a bit because I was seeing higher than normal (for me) flight which was a killer in the wind. I'm a little scared to do that though because the ball was going dead straight and I hate to mess with that. This driver feels and sounds like a TaylorMade driver and reminds me a lot of my old M1 that I played so well with. I've hit other drivers this year that I enjoy the fell off more but this isn't bad at all. Hopefully I'll get a couple more chances to play over the next week and get some more thoughts.

I also just played the first round of the year outside with my SIM. Man is this thing a rocket launcher. Grounds were sloppy and wet from the snow melting recently and I was still putting drives farther than I'm used to in good conditions. Can't wait to see what I can do with this thing when I get a little more warmed up and the course is in better shape. Driver was a big reason I shot a 38 tonight, my best nine hole score ever. This is hopefully the start of a good season!

I got my first 9 holes in with the SIM on my home course and the honeymoon phase was in full effect. It was about 48* and breezy when I teed off and the course is soaked. Here are some results and thoughts from the 5 holes I pulled driver on:

1st hole: slight helping wind. I hit a well struck shot but it was a defensive pull to my spot in the left rough. I hit there a ton because I'm afraid of the OB on the right. It was in about the same spot as my driver normally goes.

3rd hole: pretty stiff crosswind from left to right. I piped the drive and it was dead straight down the fairway and absolutely cut through the wind. It landed in a swamp in the middle of the fairway and was one of the longer drives I've ever hit on that hole. I would love to know how far it would have rolled with our normal dry fairways.

4th hole: again a pretty stiff and slightly hurting right to left crosswind. I hit it well, maybe slightly thin and it definitely was short but right in the middle of the fairway. I'm not sure if it was due to the thin strike (which I didn't think was very thin) or the ball but it was shorter than I thought it would be.

5th hole: a stiff left to right crosswind. I pushed it a hair but it went about my average distance on that hole in to the right rough.

6th hole: dead in to a stiff wind. I had a bit shorter backswing (which I commonly battle) but I hit the ball well, right down the middle but much shorter than where I normally land. I'm going to chalk that up completely to the wind because one of my playing partners had the exact same result.

Overall it was a great maiden voyage on my home course. I would say it was a pretty good driving day so the real test will come on those off days. I do think I may have to lower the loft a bit because I was seeing higher than normal (for me) flight which was a killer in the wind. I'm a little scared to do that though because the ball was going dead straight and I hate to mess with that. This driver feels and sounds like a TaylorMade driver and reminds me a lot of my old M1 that I played so well with. I've hit other drivers this year that I enjoy the fell off more but this isn't bad at all. Hopefully I'll get a couple more chances to play over the next week and get some more thoughts.
Nice! What version did you get? Also, I would just like to point out the fact that I am jealous of your weather. Probably don't hear that often :)

Nice! What version did you get? Also, I would just like to point out the fact that I am jealous of your weather. Probably don't hear that often :)
Haha, I finally have nicer weather than someone!!! I have an 11:30 tee time on Sunday 😁.

I got the regular model. It's probably on the verge of being too low spinning for me but I was getting some crazy good numbers with it compared to other offerings. The biggest thing for me though is that it eliminated the left side of the course. I really struggle mentally with draw biased drivers (past issues with over hooking) and this being straight or fade biased is huge for me. And the numbers were too good to pass up on two different testing sessions.

Haha, I finally have nicer weather than someone!!! I have an 11:30 tee time on Sunday 😁.

I got the regular model. It's probably on the verge of being too low spinning for me but I was getting some crazy good numbers with it compared to other offerings. The biggest thing for me though is that it eliminated the left side of the course. I really struggle mentally with draw biased drivers (past issues with over hooking) and this being straight or fade biased is huge for me. And the numbers were too good to pass up on two different testing sessions.
Well, I think we'll be in the 50's at some point next week. Assuming we're not in complete lock down, I may be able to golf at some point this year.

I tried the regular Sim a couple months back. Very solid stick. Really like the look from the top.

I hit the Sim Max at the driving range a week ago and came away very impressed. It felt so easy for me to line up and address the ball. I can’t stop thinking about it but not one to rush into a purchase either. Now shops and courses are all closed around here so no telling when I can swing it again.

I hit the Sim Max at the driving range a week ago and came away very impressed. It felt so easy for me to line up and address the ball. I can’t stop thinking about it but not one to rush into a purchase either. Now shops and courses are all closed around here so no telling when I can swing it again.

Well I guess you will just have to order one no telling when the shops will open up again

Well I guess you will just have to order one no telling when the shops will open up again
Given the present economic situation I should probably refrain for fear of my marriage collapsing. That and I just bought a new shaft for my Callaway driver weeks prior. In the meantime my day will be filled with thoughts of hitting it again.

hmmm, I over hook the ball also:unsure:....thanks for sharing this.

Great driver. The fact that it helps eliminate the left side of the course is a huge plus for me. One of my favorite drivers I’ve ever played. Great spin and launch numbers.

I have the Standard SIM but I keep wondering if the Max would not have been a better choice.

I have the Standard SIM but I keep wondering if the Max would not have been a better choice.

I had the max before the regular sim, not as good for me. Spun too much for me, didn’t have the distance or the fade bias that the sim has.

Played with sim max this weekend good driver just the feel for me kind of soft for me I like ping and Cleveland kind of Harsh And sound most people don’t like that but i do
Callaway drivers make me feel like I’m not strong enough to compress it all drivers are great just some make you feel better than others

Played with sim max this weekend good driver just the feel for me kind of soft for me I like ping and Cleveland kind of Harsh And sound most people don’t like that but i do
Callaway drivers make me feel like I’m not strong enough to compress it all drivers are great just some make you feel better than others

The Ping drivers do make that loud harsh sound. The 400 max was very loud. I felt like the 410 series was a little more muted but still pretty loud. I played the 410 plus for a while last year and didn’t mind the sound. The SiM and it’s very muted sound took a little getting used to, but now that I’ve had it for a while I really like it.

The Ping drivers do make that loud harsh sound. The 400 max was very loud. I felt like the 410 series was a little more muted but still pretty loud. I played the 410 plus for a while last year and didn’t mind the sound. The SiM and it’s very muted sound took a little getting used to, but now that I’ve had it for a while I really like it.
Agree more I used it this weekend more got use to it but I’ll probably stay with the ping or may try something else

Agree more I used it this weekend more got use to it but I’ll probably stay with the ping or may try something else

Have you tried the regular SiM? I had the SiM Max prior to the SiM and I didn’t really like it. Tried the regular SiM and it is a totally different (and in my opinion better) club.

Have you tried the regular SiM? I had the SiM Max prior to the SiM and I didn’t really like it. Tried the regular SiM and it is a totally different (and in my opinion better) club.
No but I will thanks

Had a chance to hit a lot of balls outside with the SiM today. Previously almost all of my practice with it has been indoor on the simulator. Got to say, this club really launches high and carries long. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a driver lofted 7* launch so high before. My range that I practice most at has a very tall net at the end to protect the golf course that adjoins the range, never had a driver that could carry it before. I’ve always had the height to carry it but not the distance (too spinny). Well today wind was into my face from the right and even with that I was regularly carrying the net. Amazing how the ball just seems to go when you hit it with this club.

Mine will be delivered to the apt in Little Rock next week and after only having one session testing it, I am excited to see how it performs. I'm going to put a couple shafts together this weekend to try some options. It'll take a lot to knock off the Mav SZ.

Mine will be delivered to the apt in Little Rock next week and after only having one session testing it, I am excited to see how it performs. I'm going to put a couple shafts together this weekend to try some options. It'll take a lot to knock off the Mav SZ.
Excited to hear how it goes for you! I put them head to head for myself and the SIM was a standout winner

I’m having a Mav SZ come today. Probably won’t get a chance to try it till next week but I’ll be interested to see how it compares to the SiM. Should be an interesting head to head.

So far this season I've lost less balls off the tee then I have in a couple of years which has been great. I've hit some big drives and it seems to perform well in the wind. Forgiveness isn't as good as I've seen with some other offerings but it's kept me in play.

My biggest gripe though, and something I'm struggling with, is how shallow the face is. I feel like if I tee the ball at my normal height I'm going to pop it up and leave a sky mark. Lower though and I don't feel like I'm going to elevate it well. It's a bummer because I love the look of this thing.

I've always had success with Taylormade drivers. I started out with the R-5, then Rocketballz, to Aeroburner, to M1, back to Aeroburner. Now it's been a few years and really interested in trying the SIM driver. I like the looks and its concepts. Once stores open up here, I'll have to give one a swing or two. Good write up by Gary, really had me thinking it's time for a change.

Anyone still messing with these? ;)

Back