TaylorMade SIM Fairway Woods

Do u think loft was the issue with the cobra?
As much as I was hoping to have the Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 wood in my bag this year, I have struggled with it. I had really good success with the M5 last year, so I decided to try the Rocket Sim Ti 3 wood. Wow, this one must fit my swing. In my round yesterday, I hit a drive of about 265 on a par . I had about 265 or 270 to the center of the green. The group in front of me was on the green. I figured I could never get there, so why wait for the green to clear. I was shocked to see my ball land right on the front of the green and roll through to just off the back of the green. I did not measure it, but I figure I must have hit the ball 275-ish, longer than my drive. I apologized profusely to the group in front and inside was smiling from ear to ear. Honestly, it did not feel like I swung that hard.

I hit another couple of balls during my round with this club, both tee balls. I measured both with Golf Shot. One went 257 yards and the other went 276 yards. Call me smitten.

Do u think loft was the issue with the cobra?

I don’t think it was loft. The Sim Rocket is 14* set in standard. The Cobra Big Tour is 13.5* in standard. Half a degree would not make such a difference. I don’t know why, because I am a complete Cobra fanboy. I love the drivers, irons and wedges. For some reason, the fwys and hybrids have never worked for me as well as some others. They seem to be shorter. It may be in my head.

I don’t think it was loft. The Sim Rocket is 14* set in standard. The Cobra Big Tour is 13.5* in standard. Half a degree would not make such a difference. I don’t know why, because I am a complete Cobra fanboy. I love the drivers, irons and wedges. For some reason, the fwys and hybrids have never worked for me as well as some others. They seem to be shorter. It may be in my head.
I’m one of those too dude, it’s the place I’ve always seen the most struggle to game a cobra club long term.

Interesting, I have hit both the sim 15* and own the cobra big tour now. Granted I haven’t hit the cobra too much and have only played a sim round with it but absolutely loved it off the deck. I hope that translates to the course this spring because I think it will even shine more from the tee. If I didn’t pick up the cobra I would have ended up with the sim as it is a beast. I have hit it a few times now and really like it

Interesting, I have hit both the sim 15* and own the cobra big tour now. Granted I haven’t hit the cobra too much and have only played a sim round with it but absolutely loved it off the deck. I hope that translates to the course this spring because I think it will even shine more from the tee. If I didn’t pick up the cobra I would have ended up with the sim as it is a beast. I have hit it a few times now and really like it

I hope the Cobra Big Tour works great for you. I love that company.

I picked up the sim max for the first time in hands and it looks so good!

As much as I was hoping to have the Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 wood in my bag this year, I have struggled with it. I had really good success with the M5 last year, so I decided to try the Rocket Sim Ti 3 wood. Wow, this one must fit my swing. In my round yesterday, I hit a drive of about 265 on a par 5. I had about 265 or 270 to the center of the green. The group in front of me was on the green. I figured I could never get there, so why wait for the green to clear. I was shocked to see my ball land right on the front of the green and roll through to just off the back of the green. I did not measure it, but I figure I must have hit the ball 275-ish, longer than my drive using driver. I apologized profusely to the group in front and inside was smiling from ear to ear. Honestly, it did not feel like I swung that hard.

I hit another couple of balls during my round with this club, both tee balls. I measured both with Golf Shot. One went 257 yards and the other went 276 yards. Call me smitten.

The SIM fairway has some serious ball speed!!! Ive played the last 2 Sunday's here in Chicago in windy, cold days and the 3w still goes a mile. I loved my m6 last year but the standard SIM is a huge upgrade. In the wind, cold, and very soft ground where the ball plugs ive still carried this 255+ according to Arccos. Its currently my favorite club by far!!

Im hoping my Cobra stuff comes this week so I can get hit head to head with the big tour

Last edited:
This (rocket sim) and cobra big tour 3 were the 2 finalists I had based on looks. Both were solid during my fitting.

The SIM has a larger footprint. Both had near driver like ballspeed. It really came down to the spin consistancy of the big tour 3 over he SIM. The SIM could get into drive like spin which while great required more manipulation to do the high fade attack the green shot.

The SIM 5 wood is a lot smaller than the 3 wood and looks like it has a lot more than 19* of loft on it.

This (rocket sim) and cobra big tour 3 were the 2 finalists I had based on looks. Both were solid during my fitting.

The SIM has a larger footprint. Both had near driver like ballspeed. It really came down to the spin consistancy of the big tour 3 over he SIM. The SIM could get into drive like spin which while great required more manipulation to do the high fade attack the green shot.

The SIM 5 wood is a lot smaller than the 3 wood and looks like it has a lot more than 19* of loft on it.
Ive hit both on different days so hard to do a true comparison but like you said both clubs have driver ball speed. Both were about 2-3 mph slower than driver for me. I actually went back to PGA store to return the 3w for a 5w and told the guy "it goes too far" lol. he looked at me like im crazy. Ended up staying with the 3w since im getting all the cobra clubs soon.

The big tour gave me slightly higher spin at 13.5 than the SIM did at 16*. I dont think the SIM is crazy low spin at all, especially compared to m5/6 last year, but it was lower spin than big tour. The real test for me is going to be how the big tour works from the fairway. Any time ive tested cobra fairways I couldn't hit them at all. I think its been because of hitting the rails off turf mats doesnt work too well. The big tour off the turf was effortless to hit and I firmly believe its bc of the rails missing

Being real. The SIM and Mav were destined to be the two fairways slugging it out this year. I think the TEE is in that realm too, but name recognition is the issue compared to these.

I also believe the SIM fairways were always destined to be the best clubs of this release for them.

Being real. The SIM and Mav were destined to be the two fairways slugging it out this year. I think the TEE is in that realm too, but name recognition is the issue compared to these.

I also believe the SIM fairways were always destined to be the best clubs of this release for them.

Agreed on this. Taylormade makes really good woods. Callaway as well. I mean the most common non sponsor club I see is probably a TM 3 wood.

I will say, there are a lot of good clubs out there and you can choose whatever you like, but I'll be lying if people dont gravitate to TM and Callaway.

I snagged a SIM 5w and had a breakthrough yesterday during the second time around the course for the day. Usually, the fairway metal is a club I only pull out when I feel like I haven't made a bad enough decision yet that day. On the third hole, a par five, I was about 230 out after an abysmal drive and a mediocre escape shot. Since there was nothing on the line, I figured I'd give this thing a whack, maybe see if I can get a low running cut to make its way to the green. It went dead straight. I used it again on the next par 5. Straight. Used it on the tee for the next hole and tried to hit a low draw. Straight. If I just try to hit stingers with this thing, its about point and shoot, and it sounds incredible. That familiar TM fairway crack I've grown so accustomed to over the years. I imagine next time out I'll not be able to hit it out of my shadow.

Still on my "want to hit" list. I really need to find a reliable place to start demoing clubs.

I have a sim Max on the way. Was torn between the two, so I went with the max, knowing I was giving up some adjustability.

Sim Max 3 Wood is high on this list. Waiting for a response from Budget Golf to see if they can "help".

I have a sim Max on the way. Was torn between the two, so I went with the max, knowing I was giving up some adjustability.
Main reason I am getting it is that the SIM driver this year has really matched well with me and my swing. Having lots of success with it.

for me Ive found the lack of adjustability is a good thing since I like to tinker with things. I started last year with the Srixon f85 3w and ended with an m6 3w and 5w. Put in 1 shaft in both m6 models and didnt mess with it the whole year. They turned out to be the best clubs in the bag. Both clubs worked awesome all year and I never had the urge to buy shafts to try out since it wouldn't be as easy as swapping shafts

This year I went with standard SIM bc I had extra pga store credit from the 150% trade in so I went with the higher priced model and im really liking it. Adjustability is definitely nice but for me after a couple bad shots that are probably from swing and face to path issues, I immediately start moving weights or opening/closing face

I didnt hit the SIM Max fairway this year but im sure its just as good as the SIM and the m6

for me Ive found the lack of adjustability is a good thing since I like to tinker with things. I started last year with the Srixon f85 3w and ended with an m6 3w and 5w. Put in 1 shaft in both m6 models and didnt mess with it the whole year. They turned out to be the best clubs in the bag. Both clubs worked awesome all year and I never had the urge to buy shafts to try out since it wouldn't be as easy as swapping shafts

This year I went with standard SIM bc I had extra pga store credit from the 150% trade in so I went with the higher priced model and im really liking it. Adjustability is definitely nice but for me after a couple bad shots that are probably from swing and face to path issues, I immediately start moving weights or opening/closing face

I didnt hit the SIM Max fairway this year but im sure its just as good as the SIM and the m6
I moved the driver weights all over and adjusted the shaft 2 Degrees in either direction... and the setting that got the best results after all those balls and all those adjustments was....... standard, weight in the center, exactly how it was when I unwrapped the thing...lol

For me the SIM 3 wood is amazing. It just goes too far. I am considering getting the 5 wood and cranking it down a couple degrees to get it to 17. If there was a way to get it to 16, that would be great, but there is not.

For me the SIM 3 wood is amazing. It just goes too far. I am considering getting the 5 wood and cranking it down a couple degrees to get it to 17. If there was a way to get it to 16, that would be great, but there is not.
LOL I swear I typed out almost this exact statement!! The 3w does go too far! When I lofted up to 17 I hit some nasty pull draws quite often. Put it back down to 15 and its been much more neutral. I have it at 16 right now with 3 strips of lead tape on the toe

Ive always played either 16.5 or 17* in TM so ive been pissesd the last 2 releases they haven't offered a 4w

I have a cobra big tour 3 and I'm going to try the sim max 3 wood tomorrow. If it's better than the M6 I had last year, it looks like I'll have 2 3 woods.

I have a cobra big tour 3 and I'm going to try the sim max 3 wood tomorrow. If it's better than the M6 I had last year, it looks like I'll have 2 3 woods.

You can never have too many 3 woods.

Well, I had ideas of buying. Mavrik SZ fw to match my driver, but the Sim Ti 5 wood setup I have right now is so solid. Hitting it great and can’t imagine myself getting a better fw for my game. I’m not a great fw player and I’m a low spin guy, so fws can be tricky for me.
The SimTi 5 wood has a great setup behind the ball and the feel is much improved over the M5 Ti.

I'm a little surprised there isn't more banter on these fws, but perhaps it is the price tag.....?

Finally got a full round under my belt with my SIM Max 3 wood. Biggest takeaway is how far it flies w/o much effort. I wasn't quite seeing the peak height I wanted, but that could be the Ventus shaft. Last year I was using Mizuno ST180 fairway woods and I could feel it when I hit it great on those - the SIM Max I can sometimes feel like I hit it terribly and still see the distance.

Thinking I might do some comparisons to the EXS220 FW as well.

I know they’re not all that buzz generating around here at the moment, but I don’t think anyone is making a better looking club at address. My opinion of course.

50A05328-C14A-45F9-BD45-E9F7AFC156DA.jpeg

Agreed on the comment on looks. I seriously almost got a SIM or SIM max simply because they look so good.

Ready to get the fake Ventus out and plug in this LINQ blue

Back