TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I'm trying to pick up a 430 head to try out. I miss right so I'd prefer to pick up a lower lofted club to bump up to 10.5 or just a 10.5 and keep it there. I don't need a shaft though.

I'm trying to pick up a 430 head to try out. I miss right so I'd prefer to pick up a lower lofted club to bump up to 10.5 or just a 10.5 and keep it there. I don't need a shaft though.

We must be thinking along the same lines! I picked up a 430 head yesterday, hopefully get to give it a swing today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We must be thinking along the same lines! I picked up a 430 head yesterday, hopefully get to give it a swing today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hesitant to spend $130 or so off of eBay for a 430 head with the release of the new wood lineup. I think the SLDR line will plummet in value over the next few months.

I bought Jlukes' 9* 430 head and should have it later this week. I could definitely use a more closed face, but switching my 10.5* head to 12* is too much loft more me. I think I get better ball flight in regards to peak height with my 10.5* set lower 9-10*, but it makes my right miss more pronounced at times.

Hopefully taking the 9* and bumping it up a little will help me. I have the 2 weights coming too, so I'll have some testing to do soon.

I ordered 2 of the 10 gram SLDR aftermarket weights to play around with. They were just under $15 on eBay and should be here between 2-3 weeks (coming from China).

I ordered my weights 6 days ago and got them today. I'll see about trying them out Friday.

ETA: Still waiting on my 430 head. Should be here next business day for USPS.

Looking forward to your feedback with the extra weight. I'm considering ordering some to experiment with.

Hey guys, not sure if it's okay to post this question here but I'll give it a shot.

I'll be posting a SLDR 460 10.5 with Accra TZ ST75 M4 for sale soon, what would be a fair price?

Hey guys, not sure if it's okay to post this question here but I'll give it a shot.

I'll be posting a SLDR 460 10.5 with Accra TZ ST75 M4 for sale soon, what would be a fair price?

I'd suggest search EBay for similar setups. Then based on those determine what is fair to you.

If others think it's too high, you'll get counter offers.

I didn't have time to practice with the weights today, but did play with two weights in my 460 today. I added one of the 10 gram after markets to go next to the stock 16. I mixed them around for a few holes and didn't see much difference between having them split all the way or centered next to each other, but I did like them better together than just the one weight. I didn't hit well, but I don't hit my driver well normally on the course.

I normally slice 12-13 of 14 on the course to some degree, and end up with 6-8 penalties off the tee box. Today I had 7 and 2 were from snap hooks from having both weights toward the heel. Of the remaining 5, two weren't horrible slices but hit trees and bounced right into the rough.

So My first impression is that it that the added weight did help make the club more forgiving. Also, the weight screw fit perfectly into the hot melt hole on my 460. My 430 arrived today so I haven't messed with weights on it yet and don't know if it's hot melt hole is the same size/thread.

Also, the hot melt hole cover (metal sticker) leaves behind heavy residue. But it came off easy with a plastic THP Epoch tee. I just used the pointed end to scrape/peel it out. In all it took less than 5 minutes to get it set up and cleaned up.

I didn't add an extra weight to my 430 head, but took it out to play today with the weight at standard and the loft moved up from 9 to 10.5. I'm not saying that the 430 in general is better for me, but this 430 with a closed face is much better for me than my 460 left at its standard 10.5 loft. I actually hooked the 430 OB 4 times today and missed the fairway left 2 additional times. I only missed right twice and only one was a slice early on.

Im going to get it set up with 2 weights and take it to the range for more experimenting tomorrow.

I didn't add an extra weight to my 430 head, but took it out to play today with the weight at standard and the loft moved up from 9 to 10.5. I'm not saying that the 430 in general is better for me, but this 430 with a closed face is much better for me than my 460 left at its standard 10.5 loft. I actually hooked the 430 OB 4 times today and missed the fairway left 2 additional times. I only missed right twice and only one was a slice early on.

Im going to get it set up with 2 weights and take it to the range for more experimenting tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear how it goes as I have 2 x 10 gram weights on the way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think I am going to sell my 9.5 head and get either a 10.5 or a 12 lofted down. I only miss left with it and the 9.5 lofted up closes the face and doesn't do me any favors.

It was raining today, so I didn't have a chance to hit the 430. I did get the weights installed and the weight screw fit in the 430 hot melt hole too. They look like they have the same thread as the hosel screw, but I don't have one to confirm.

I got out to the range today and hit the 430 with two factory (20 gram?) weights and it was way to heavy. It was like swinging Thor's hammer. I hit some decent shots, but I seemed to have trouble closing the face regardless of what I tried. I mostly hit big pushes. I tried putting one weight in the full draw setting and the other 2 clicks to fade (close to center of the face), and it helped some but the club still felt too heavy to suit me.

I've already tried mixing one stock weight with one 10 gram aftermarket weight with mixed results. It's supposed to rain the rest of the week, but next time I get out I'll try setting it up with two 10 gram weights.

Got my two 10 gram weights today. Unfortunately the 2-3 feet of the show on the ground and sub zero temps mean I won't be trying it any time soon unless I hit into a screen.

Not going to lie, adding a weight and having 2 10g weights kind of highlights the shortcomings of this driver's design.

I'm confused. Are people essentially turning this into an R15?

I'm confused. Are people essentially turning this into an R15?

Thats the idea, seeing if doing the two 10g weights are more forgiving than the 20g one.

Not going to lie, adding a weight and having 2 10g weights kind of highlights the shortcomings of this driver's design.

How so?

How so?

It's Frankensteining a driver in order to alter the construction to make the driver be something it wasn't designed to be.

It's Frankensteining a driver in order to alter the construction to make the driver be something it wasn't designed to be.

Then adding lead tape to any club to change the weight and possibly altering the ball flight is doing the same thing then. With most clubs being adjustable now it's hard to argue that adding a second weight to a club is Frankensteining it when Taylormade had done just that in this year's version.

Then adding lead tape to any club to change the weight and possibly altering the ball flight is doing the same thing then. With most clubs being adjustable now it's hard to argue that adding a second weight to a club is Frankensteining it when Taylormade had done just that in this year's version.

You're missing my point. I have no problem with you doing to your driver whatever you want to do. my point is that led tape is Frankenstein to a degree but it is merely a small tweak. adding a separate weight that is the exact selling point of a new design shows the shortcomings of this design.

I'm not saying that the sldr is a bad driver. Just that it is lacking the element which makes the r15 special.

But they sort of try to cover that up by saying that the forgiveness of having the second weight (and splitting them all the way out) is needed for the new more forward, even lower CG.

I understand what you are taking about, but when every manufacturer is doing the exact same thing right now with their clubs making minor alterations to the design each year I'm not sure how Taylormade could be faulted for this.

Back