TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I played with this at the range tonight. I put the weight 2 notches over from the default and it felt really nice when I put a good seeing on it. The swing is a bit of a work in progress right now so I'm not bombing this regularly right now but I have to say this is the best feeling driver I have had in years now.
Yup, 2 clicks to the fade side puts the weight right behind the center. Reacts like a trampoline yet feels solid. This setting turned out to be a game-changer for me.

Yup, 2 clicks to the fade side puts the weight right behind the center. Reacts like a trampoline yet feels solid. This setting turned out to be a game-changer for me.

I did a fitting at the TM Kingdom yesterday and this is exactly where they had the weight placed on mine. It did wonders

I played with this at the range tonight. I put the weight 2 notches over from the default and it felt really nice when I put a good seeing on it. The swing is a bit of a work in progress right now so I'm not bombing this regularly right now but I have to say this is the best feeling driver I have had in years now.

It sure has a great feel nice soft springy face and the sound is great best TMAG driver in years to combine all the things i like in a driver

At the store last night, I was surprised how much I liked the white version. Never been a white driver guy in the past, but something about this just looked good to me.

At the store last night, I was surprised how much I liked the white version. Never been a white driver guy in the past, but something about this just looked good to me.
I agree with this after hitting it yesterday. If we went the 460 route then the white would be in my bag. It looks really good in this clubhead. Now make it in the 430 already!!

Had a new revelation with this driver today. I was the first golfer at the course this morning and planned on just hitting a bucket at the range, but they were mowing the practice tees. The pro handed me a cart key and said to go out and play for free. I was the only one on the entire course! What a perfect opportunity to test the driver settings on the actual course instead of the range. I hit 4 balls at different lofts every time I used the driver - 8.5*, 9*, 9.5* (standard), and 10.5* - and the results shocked me. I thought 10.5* was the optimal setting for me based on range sessions, but my conclusions were drawn from eyeballing the distance because there isn't a monitor. It's hard to see 280+ yards with the naked eye. It "appeared" that 10.5* produced the most distance on the range, but on the course those 4 balls told a different story. Turns out that 9* won the distance challenge by 10+ yards every single time. I shot 74 using the 9* drives and now I'm hungry to play again. This individual practice round was awesome. One of the best times I've ever had playing golf, and I owe this forum for helping me build a terrific set of clubs.

I'm going to take a nap now as all that wrench-turning tired me out.

Last edited:
Had a new revelation with this driver today. I was the first golfer at the course this morning and planned on just hitting a bucket at the range, but they were mowing the practice tees. The pro handed me a cart key and said to go out and play for free. I was the only one on the entire course! What a perfect opportunity to test the driver settings on the actual course instead of the range. I hit 4 balls at different lofts every time I used the driver - 8.5*, 9*, 9.5* (standard), and 10.5* - and the results shocked me. I thought 10.5* was the optimal setting for me based on range sessions, but my conclusions were drawn from eyeballing the distance because there isn't a monitor. It "appeared" that 10.5* gave me the most distance on the range, but on the course those 4 balls told a different story. Turns out that 9* won the distance challenge by 10+ yards every single time. I shot 74 using the 9* setting and this has me so hungry to play. I thought the driver was great at 10.5* but this was a pleasant surprise. This individual practice round was such a gift.

was it a roll out diffrence if the fairways are still wet/damp with mine i notice a little diffrence most likley due to reduced roll from ball taking a softer bounce

I did a fitting at the TM Kingdom yesterday and this is exactly where they had the weight placed on mine. It did wonders

I can't wait to get over there. Could be the week after next, right before I go to Indy.

When I hit this at Demo Day, they had the weight set there and I was bombing it pretty good. I took a 12* out for a round and had it set slightly towards the draw side. I didn't notice a lot of difference in feel or ball flight, however. I hit the ball very straight, and I was trying to see if I could hit a draw consistently with it. All I did was pull a few left center with no draw.

Does the face angle of the SLDR change when you adjust the loft up? Great buy on a mint used one but it's 10.5 and I want 12.0.

Does the face angle of the SLDR change when you adjust the loft up? Great buy on a mint used one but it's 10.5 and I want 12.0.

Yes. Face closes.

Thanks blu. I don't mind a slight draw bias, but I'd have go up 1.5 degrees- the max to get it 12.0

Re: SLDR Loft Adjustments/Face Angle Change

As you go UP in loft the face angle CLOSES
As you go DOWN in loft the face angle OPENS

For each 1* the loft changes, the face angle changes by 2*

Very important to understand that relationship if you own or plan to own an SLDR Driver with Loft Adjustment.

:bulgy-eyes:

Re: SLDR Loft Adjustments/Face Angle Change

As you go UP in loft the face angle CLOSES
As you go DOWN in loft the face angle OPENS

For each 1* the loft changes, the face angle changes by 2*Very important to understand that relationship if you own or plan to own an SLDR Driver with Loft Adjustment.

:bulgy-eyes:

Good info. That means, if I move the loft from 10.5 to 12, I close the face by 3*. That seems like it would be a lot. HMMM.

Good info. That means, if I move the loft from 10.5 to 12, I close the face by 3*. That seems like it would be a lot. HMMM.

Have you tried a 10.5° head at 12°

Have you tried a 10.5° head at 12°

I'm pretty sure that's what I demoed at our Demo Day, Joe. We were comparing the SLDR to my 10.5 Titleist 913 D2, so I think the rep handed me a 10.5 (I really didn't look at it). It gave me 6 more yards of carry. He then re-set it up to 12 and I picked up another 6.5 yards carry. (I'm not a long hitter). I did not notice any change in ball flight (left or right) after he adjusted it. But, I was only hitting 3 or 4 balls with each trial.

I'm pretty sure that's what I demoed at our Demo Day, Joe. We were comparing the SLDR to my 10.5 Titleist 913 D2, so I think the rep handed me a 10.5 (I really didn't look at it). It gave me 6 more yards of carry. He then re-set it up to 12 and I picked up another 6.5 yards carry. (I'm not a long hitter). I did not notice any change in ball flight (left or right) after he adjusted it. But, I was only hitting 3 or 4 balls with each trial.

12-1/2 added yards is almost an entire club. That's pretty huge. Hopefully that transfers to Myrtle

Had a chance to hit the SLDR in 14* loft today in R flex and really liked it. I remember it well that is said Speeder 65 on the shaft (TM graphics). In looking at TM's specs page just now it shows the stock SLDR shaft is a 57 version.
So what shaft did I hit?

Had a chance to hit the SLDR in 14* loft today in R flex and really liked it. I remember it well that is said Speeder 65 on the shaft (TM graphics). In looking at TM's specs page just now it shows the stock SLDR shaft is a 57 version.
So what shaft did I hit?

The 430cc head has the 60 gram shaft as the stock option.

Which is odd.

I am going to setup a session with Cool Clubs so I can get dialed in on the SLDR. I think with the right shaft and fitting this thing is going to give my Alpha a run for the money.

I am going to setup a session with Cool Clubs so I can get dialed in on the SLDR. I think with the right shaft and fitting this thing is going to give my Alpha a run for the money.

Do it. With your swing, a optimal shaft will be deadly. The alpha is already putting it's shoes on so it can walk away.

Thinking about ebaying a stock stiff shaft with the adapter. The stiff performs much better for me than my regular.

The 430cc head has the 60 gram shaft as the stock option.

Which is odd.

Thanks. Of course it couldn't just be the off the shelf combo that I liked. Odd the TM rep didn't realize this.

Can someone help me with this question? On Taylormade's website, it says the SLDR has up to 1.5 deg +- and 12 different positions. Does this mean that you can adjust the loft .25 deg each way up to 1.5 deg?

Do it. With your swing, a optimal shaft will be deadly. The alpha is already putting it's shoes on so it can walk away.

The Alpha I tried could not come close to my SLDR even with the Callaway rep dialing it in

Maybe I am alone but I am finding the sldr a little unforgiving , not very consistent with it. Coming from a k15 driver. I know many love this unit , am I out on an island alone with these results ?
gb

Back