TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

You need a Houston event next year so I can be outing approved. I get jumped on a lot here for commenting on what actually works for me in real settings with monitors with instructors with professional golf careers. I understand that most golfers aren't 250 pounds and built like linebackers. But when I comment on things that have worked for me it's solely to try and help anyone that might benefit because they are similar to me in build, flexibility, skill, etc. But because I haven't made an event yet, the site staff and regulars are quick to attempt to refute. Perhaps something didn't work for the refuter because he is 150 pounds and plays with more flexibility and finesse.

Contention is not for me. I have enough stress in life. So hopefully this thread can get back on track. I expect to make a decision on the SLDR and shaft by the end of next weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to post some results the following week.

Did you read War Eagle's post after today's round? One of the best posts in this thread.

#beagsbombs

You need a Houston event next year so I can be outing approved. I get jumped on a lot here for commenting on what actually works for me in real settings with monitors with instructors with professional golf careers. I understand that most golfers aren't 250 pounds and built like linebackers. But when I comment on things that have worked for me it's solely to try and help anyone that might benefit because they are similar to me in build, flexibility, skill, etc. But because I haven't made an event yet, the site staff and regulars are quick to attempt to refute. Perhaps something didn't work for the refuter because he is 150 pounds and plays with more flexibility and finesse.

Contention is not for me. I have enough stress in life. So hopefully this thread can get back on track. I expect to make a decision on the SLDR and shaft by the end of next weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to post some results the following week.

Having a different experience and different viewpoint isn't refuting anything you've seen, its having a different experience. Its a forum, back and forth conversation and differing viewpoints and results are part of it, none of us are the same or have the same swing. What you are seeing, and sharing, with the thread is valuable as it will aid someone who reads it, thats what THP thrives on, honest feedback. But just because I post about it not being a good head at all for me because of my lateral miss and not seeing the same things that you does doesn't take anything away from what you have posted, its just a differing view and perspective. Both CAN coexist.

I know others love this head, but for me its one of my least favorite clubs released in years, with that though, I enjoy watching those having success with it hit it (I'm looking at you PhillyV! BOMBS!).

Its a two way exchange, no one is dogging anyone or refuting anything they see. Its all good, if YOU enjoy the club, that's all that matters.

Did you read War Eagle's post after today's round? One of the best posts in this thread.

#beagsbombs

Yes, good info on where you can make mistakes with this head. I'm not interested in testing his theory though in an attempt to keep from scratching the paint out on the toe or crown. I'll trust his results.

Its a two way exchange, no one is dogging anyone or refuting anything they see. Its all good, if YOU enjoy the club, that's all that matters.

It's not this thread specifically that I was meaning when it comes to snide comments. It's been multiple here or there over the past year. And not necessarily one person. Just something I felt like I had to get off my chest after the "outing approved" comment.

It's not this thread specifically that I was meaning when it comes to snide comments. It's been multiple here or there over the past year. And not necessarily one person. Just something I felt like I had to get off my chest after the "outing approved" comment.

The outing approved comment was not directed at you. It was directed at the ability for golfers to come and join in on the fun and show off all of the opinions they share both alike and differ. Its not a snide remark in anyway. It also gives golfers the ability to test what they read online to find out what is fact and what is fiction.

As for an event in Houston, the good news is that TX has had an event each of the last 3-4 years. Sometimes a bit of travel to a special event are worth it. We dont tell people they should or shouldn't go to anything...Just that it offers a bit of a different viewpoint to THP after attending one for most. Its the reason that so many try to go to as many as they can after attending one.

Played with a guy today in a strange Texas play condition--during a good rain. Many Texans don't play in rain, well because it does not happen that often compared to hot non-raining days this time of year. All of that to say there was no roll out today to speak of on the fairways. I played with a guy who out drove me most of the day due to carry alone and he was using the stock SLDR. I normally don't have the issue in Texas because I play a draw (sometimes more hook) that gets tons of roll--but not today. I did find myself hitting some longer irons into greens because of it where he was benefitting a ton with the enhanced carry distance. All of this to say, that there seems to be something to this Loft up and take more carry option!

New "Loft Up" convert here. Hit 4 tee shots on 22 of the past 36 holes with the driver set at 10.5* (standard), 11*, 11.5*, and 12*. I have a blister on my right hand from the wrench! The 12* setting was longest on 17 holes. I know it's a small sample but I think it's revealing nonetheless. I've been resisting lofting up because I mistakenly thought the lower lofts performed better on the range, and mix in a healthy dose of ego to complete the picture. Looks like I'm leaving it maxed out at 12*. Longest drive at 12* was 310 and shortest was 287 measured with the rangefinder. Some drives were longer because of elevated tees and others were shorter due to uphill slopes.

I've always been good at hitting drivers in the center of the face, but I've also always been mediocre at finding the fairway. The SLDR's low spin has certainly improved my accuracy. I've enjoyed watching Dustin Johnson, Martin Kaymer, Sergio Garcia, and Justin Rose hitting the SLDR on tv.

Last edited:
Yes, good info on where you can make mistakes with this head. I'm not interested in testing his theory though in an attempt to keep from scratching the paint out on the toe or crown. I'll trust his results.

I have no paint scratches dude. I wasn't speaking of extreme misses on the crown of the driver, etc. I was talking about missing the quarter sized sweet spot.

Can you explain this further?

I used to hit bombs with my R11 and R1 but the spin off those drivers caused the ball to fade right no matter how I adjusted the settings. I even strengthened my grip to counteract the fade. It bugged me that I had to grip the driver differently than my other clubs. With the SLDR I have returned to my neutral grip and kept my swing path the same and the ball goes much straighter because of the lower spin which is why I'm increasing accuracy and distance. If I aim down the left side of the fairway, that's where the SLDR goes whereas previous drivers would tend to miss the fairway and end up in the right rough or a hazard. I used to do a lot of scrambling to maintain a 5 hdcp. The SLDR has made the game a lot less stressful due to hitting approach shots off the shorter grass and without trees in the way. For the first time in my life I feel I have a real shot at breaking 70. That's the best I can explain it.

Last edited:
I used to hit bombs with my R11 and R1 but the spin off those drivers caused the ball to fade right no matter how I adjusted the settings. I even strengthened my grip to counteract the fade but it would still drift right but not as much. It bugged me that I had to grip the driver differently than my other clubs. With the SLDR I have returned to my neutral grip and kept my swing path the same and the ball goes much straighter which is where I'm picking up my increased accuracy and distance. If I aim down the left side of the fairway, that's where the SLDR goes whereas previous drivers would end up in the right rough or in a hazard. I had to do a lot of scrambling to maintain a 5 hdcp. The SLDR has made the game a lot less stressful hitting off the shorter grass.

If your R1 would fade no matter what, couldn't you just play the fade and be just as accurate?

Interesting. So low spin for you is keeping a ball on path. I can honestly say I have never heard that in the past from a manufacturing stand point. Being that spin they are referring to is backspin.

Interesting. So low spin for you is keeping a ball on path. I can honestly say I have never heard that in the past from a manufacturing stand point. Being that spin they are referring to is backspin.

But I concur with his statement. ......low spin heads (sldr, superdeep) also reduce sidespin....at least for ME! I've wiped a couple of drives that have held the line strongly vs say r11 which just spun too much and would fade/slice entirely too hard

But I concur with his statement. ......low spin heads (sldr, superdeep) also reduce sidespin....at least for ME! I've wiped a couple of drives that have held the line strongly vs say r11 which just spun too much and would fade/slice entirely too hard

That is pretty shocking an interesting statement.
Especially considering the R11 head was quite low spin (some saw lower spin than the SuperDeep) (me included).
It goes against quite a bit of what I have learned in regards to club design. While the ball spins on only one axis, side spin and back spin are quite different in terms of cause.

Glad its working for you.

Especially considering the R11 head was quite low spin (some saw lower spin than the SuperDeep) (me included).
It goes against quite a bit of what I have learned in regards to club design. While the ball spins on only one axis, side spin and back spin are quite different in terms of cause.

Thanks and I'm not sure why r11 spun as much.....tried 4 different shafts also....

Asking because use I am curious, I would think a head that reduces spin would also reduce spin left or right as well. Not eliminate it but reduce it. Why is that not the case?

I understand that the ball only spins on one axis, but I would think there would be less side to side movement with lower spin.

If your R1 would fade no matter what, couldn't you just play the fade and be just as accurate?

I did but that caused me 2 problems - 1. lost distance due to the fade, 2. Not being able to position drives on the left side of the fairway when needed.

Last edited:

At least for me too!

I have no paint scratches dude. I wasn't speaking of extreme misses on the crown of the driver, etc. I was talking about missing the quarter sized sweet spot.

I was attempting to make a joke and apparently failed...what I meant was if I tried to test those findings I would likely end up over doing it and scratching my driver.

At least for me too!

Same here, though I feel like it was more of a shaft issue. I sliced the crap out of my R1 with the stock stiff 55 gram Phenom shaft, but turned that into a straight or pull driver with an old 79 gram Fujikura F1 X-stiff that was an R9 TP shaft. I loved my R1 after that. I liked the idea of the draw bias in the weights for me as well to help me close the face.

That's where I get the idea that low torque is important for me anyway. I think lighter, more flexible shafts allow the head to bend some - especially if you have a hard/abrupt transition. This flex in the shaft then seems to exaggerate my problem of coming cover the top with an open club face. So if I come through the ball with the club face open 3 degrees and the shaft has 3 degrees of torque, I'm potentially at 6 degrees open at impact. With golf being a game of degrees/inches/etc., I think it's important.

And I just found that a low spin head will produce a ton of spin if you don't hit it right. I was getting 4000 rpm with the SLDR at 12 deg with the stock stiff shaft. But that was because of the side spin I was putting on the ball. The one drive out of 10 or so that had limited side spin (-21), resulted in a straight drive that was 20 yards longer with only 2500 rpm backspin. So it's only low spin when you have everything else in semi-working order.

Asking because use I am curious, I would think a head that reduces spin would also reduce spin left or right as well. Not eliminate it but reduce it. Why is that not the case?

I understand that the ball only spins on one axis, but I would think there would be less side to side movement with lower spin.

A low spin driver head will not reduce side spin.
In fact try slapping at one with 2 drivers, one low spin and one high spin and see what happens.

In fact try slapping at one with 2 drivers, one low spin and one high spin and see what happens.

I would think a higher spin head would reduce side spin (as opposed to a lower spin head) because if it was spinning backwards at a higher rate it would more resistant to change. I have no idea if that's how it would actually work though, especially since we are changing the axis of the spin - not that it's spinning backwards and sideways at the same time.

Ok if I get a chance to test that I will. Still am wondering why though.

This may be a discussion for another thread. My understanding is that side spin is caused by tilting the axis it spins around, and a lower spin head will still tilt as much, but I assumed that with less spin the result would be less movement off of center. Are you saying there would be more movement off center?

Ok if I get a chance to test that I will. Still am wondering why though.

This may be a discussion for another thread. My understanding is that side spin is caused by tilting the axis it spins around, and a lower spin head will still tilt as much, but I assumed that with less spin the result would be less movement off of center. Are you saying there would be more movement off center?

It may be that with less back spin the ball is less resistant to being turned off a vertical axis, which would result in a ball flight more off line because the axis is tilted more.

I tried playing around with the Flightscope optimizer, tilted the spin axis to the right a few degrees and kept all other things equal. The shots with more spin were more offline. I know it is just a simulation and not a real world test, but am not sure how lower spin doesn't ultimately equal lower side to side movement.

I'm not at all suggesting that the SLDR eliminates hooks and slices. Just trying to figure the some of the science out.

Back