TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I picked up a SLDR demo at PGA SS yesterday. Only $149.00 with the TP shaft. I played 9 holes yesterday and shot even so good initial outing but in reality, my iron play has been awesome lately so it wasn't really the driver, but, overall the SLDR was solid. Couple huge drives, everything was manageable, nothing off the planet sideways which has crept into my 913 swings of late.

I am somewhat concerned about the lack of forgiveness I hear from everyone but so far it seems really solid for me. I hit probably 200 balls using PGA SS monitors to find a shaft that worked and my misses were super straight but just short 10-35 yards. I rarely miss heal or toe, it's usually low on the face and this club has seemed adequately forgiving on that miss. The launch and spin were amazing for me. Much higher launch (I went with a 12* head because they had that or 9.5, but 12* is WAY higher than I've ever used) and the spin was 2000-2500 depending on my quality of contact.

In truth, I probably could have gotten better results changing to any higher lofted driver compared to my 913. I tore my rotator cuff last year and, while I don't need surgery currently, my SS if down 4-6 MPH and my swing is definitely different. Funny enough, the forced changes have drastically improved my iron play and destroyed my driver confidence. Hopefully by the end of rehab, I'll be all mended up and get my SS back up and have the best of both worlds.

I'm going to re-tip my AD Di 6x and try that in it also. If I end up hating it, I've got 90 days to return it so it can't hurt me too much. My 913 has just been dreadful for me lately and it's time for something new, anything new. I think if the SLDR fails, I'll try the R15. I liked it as well but it wasn't on clearance and my cheapness was on full display.

Nice deal on that TP SLDR AZ. After reading the user experiences here I was really on the fence about it. Finally, some months ago, I just went with my views on it and got a SLDR 12, like you I never have lofted up to that territory. From the beginning it was a solid performer, after getting used to it ( talking about 3 weeks) it became an extremely solid performer, so much so that it became my gamer. I think that after your injury mends and as you get more swings in with your SLDR, you will become even more impressed than you already are presently with it's solid performance.

Played 18 with the SLDR today. Hit it 12 times. I hit 3 absolute bombs, 1 horrid drive(way out on the toe and only went about 215-220 yards), and a bunch of solid drives that were SUPER straight. I hit one sweeping draw 320+ according to the GPS BUT it was a hole that plays slightly downhill on firm ground so not typical. Most good shots were 270-285. I typically miss low on the face in the center of the club and those shots went great for me today. I can definitely see if you missed heel or toe shots, it could be trouble. I'll keep testing it but as of 1.5 rounds, it's replaced my 913 D2. Straighter and longer on my misses which is giving me more confidence and it's definitely lower spin which is awesome for me. No guarantees it;ll keep performing for me but I've still got 87 more days to figure it out. :)

270 yard average with the SLDR. Can't say enough about this club. Easy swing down the middle of the fairway.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anyone make their sldr into a r15 yet? if so, how did it go?

anyone make their sldr into a r15 yet? if so, how did it go?

I have, but with nothing but snow to navigate I haven't been able to try it yet. I ordered 2 x 10 gram weight kits and they make the head feel silly heavy. Weighted my driver to find out it was an E. Going to grind the weights down to get it back to the D7 sunlight that it was originally. In hindsight ordering 5 gram weights would have worked better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Won't be the same even if adding 2 lighter weights, imo. The difference with the more forward weight on the R15 and the slot acts like the Vapour and 915 compression channels making the lower part of the head hotter. I have the SLDR 460 and the R15 430, night and day difference in forgiveness even with the smaller head. SLDR is LONG but R15 eats it for breakfast and chew on the bones as a brunch after the round. I still have the SLDR and it has the R15's TP 757 shaft in it...that is a beauty. 757 is one of the best shafts offered by TM today for a "stock" TP.

I was thinking about upgrading my sldr 12' stiff to R15....so you say its worth it? Leaning towards he 430 as well

I was thinking about upgrading my sldr 12' stiff to R15....so you say its worth it? Leaning towards he 430 as well

Yes, yes and yes. You are getting a more "forgiving" head, a more livelier sound -but- as long as you can live with the white head. Also as you're playing a 12*, you might want to start at 10.5* with the R15, this sucker launches a tad higher. I posted in the R15 Review thread here about some of my drives, this is an amazing head. Go get fitted and try it. Best of all, whatever shaft you have in the SLDR, bang - it will go into the R15 and vice versa. Sorry to threadjack, back to the SLDR....

R15 longer and more forgiving. If you prefer the 430 sldr you will love the r15

I've had mine nearly a year still love yet, it's still on factory settings all standard, it just works for me, I never have checked any numbers just on the course, but that doesn't mean I want try all the new ones soon,

R15 longer and more forgiving. If you prefer the 430 sldr you will love the r15

In comparing my SLDR with the R15 in a SIM I didn't see any difference at all and in fact I hit the SLDR better. That being said I have I the 430 head and the R15 was a 460.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This might be a stupid question, but does anybody know if the Callaway wrench would work for the SLDR? I have an SLDR 430 coming to me and it doesn't include the wrench, so I'm wondering if I need to buy a Taylormade wrench or if my Callaway wrench would work.

Thanks in advance.

This might be a stupid question, but does anybody know if the Callaway wrench would work for the SLDR? I have an SLDR 430 coming to me and it doesn't include the wrench, so I'm wondering if I need to buy a Taylormade wrench or if my Callaway wrench would work.

Thanks in advance.

I had a Cally Razr Fit TA the wrench worked in the TM R9 Supertri, R11 and R11 S.

Thanks in advance.

I use my TM wrench on my Alpha 815 all the time

which is more forgiving? 460 or 430?

Depends on the golfer which you prefer. I have both and have a better dispersion with the 430 but everyone is different

ok......I don't know if this will help at all but:

I hit my R1 driver with a mild slice.....about 20 yrds to right

ok......I don't know if this will help at all but:

I hit my R1 driver with a mild slice.....about 20 yrds to right
Forgiveness doesn't fix slices, it minimizes distance loss on off centered hits. 460 has higher moi/larger sweet spot and thus is more forgiving

Both provide fade or draw adjustment. But the biggest issue is whether or not you strike the ball on the center of the club face. The sweet spot is smaller on the 430 versus the 460. Hope this helps

ok. that does. I think I may have to go for the 460 model then! hahah

No worries. Just try before you. Take care

yeah.......im heading into the city this weekend....time for a test "drive". :banana:

Trackman numbers for the SLDR 430 12 degree set to 10.5 degrees. X stiff TP Fijikura Motore Speeder Shaft.

Club head speed 109.9

Attack angle 7.7

Smash Factor 1.40

Carry Distance 255.9

Total distance 285.9

Spin 1810

Back