TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new irons are out and THPers were the first anywhere to get their hands on them for testing. 12 THPers made their way to Orlando, FL for a weekend of fitting, golf and fun and left with a brand new set of irons.

This will be the thread for reviews, pictures and everything else. This first post will have a couple of videos and then the guys can chime in with details and pictures as they get ready to start the review process and answer any questions that you might have.

Intro To THP Ultimate Club Testing

Iron Fitting

Unboxings

Great videos. Love watching the fitting.

Great videos. Those numbers on that 7 iron for Canadan were pretty awesome. 1000 less rpms, 9 yards more distance, high trajectory.

First thought... I would give my left ear and right big toe to have Canadan's swing. That thing is a beauty.

Fitting video was pretty cool. Backed up a lot of things I theorized and felt during RocketBladez testing. They do put up a ball with less spin, but trajectory is still high and the ball drops steep enough that it's controllable into a green. High ball speeds, high launch, lower spin is a good recipe for big carry numbers.

The shaft recommendations were very interesting too Dan. I hope you take his advice, because I'm very curious to see how it works out for you long term.

Also, I want to get my hands on these again. All this has brought back some fond Bladez memories.

Amazing videos guys. Really interested in hitting these

Fitting video was pretty cool. Backed up a lot of things I theorized and felt during RocketBladez testing. They do put up a ball with less spin, but trajectory is still high and the ball drops steep enough that it's controllable into a green. High ball speeds, high launch, lower spin is a good recipe for big carry numbers.

You are a genius Hawk, this is exactly what I thought may happen and did this weekend. It's amazing to see the differences in my 5 year old 7 iron and the Speed Blade 7. The 5 year span is what Taylormade is emphasizing as it is the current lifespan of an iron set and the technological advancements are vastly superior by that time. Here's some of my LM stats from my fitting with Bob (who was absolutely amazing):

Burner Plus '09: Speed Blades: Differential:
Launch Angle: 17.2* Launch Angle: 20.8* Launch Angle: +3.6*
Spin: 4640 rpm Spin: 3238 rpm Spin: -1402 rpm
Carry: 178 yards Carry: 193 yards Carry: +15 yards

So from these numbers, I can see that the Speed Blades are flat out better than the Burner Plus, obviously. However, other people with some of the newer equipment from other OEMs were seeing no less that 8 yards more carry. I plan on getting these bent 2* upright (first fitting ever, I am certainly glad I know my specs now). I am also considering a different set of shafts in them that may even boost the performance more. Like Bob said, the stock 85g stiff shaft fits the vast majority of amateur golfers out there, so I may also stick with it as I am nothing special. I am excited to see what the others that are testing these see as I saw nothing but positives.

Very cool to see how the process worked out. Danimal with some monster improvements! Sounds like these things are going to help these guys do some damage this fall.

You are a genius Hawk, this is exactly what I thought may happen and did this weekend. It's amazing to see the differences in my 5 year old 7 iron and the Speed Blade 7. The 5 year span is what Taylormade is emphasizing as it is the current lifespan of an iron set and the technological advancements are vastly superior by that time. Here's some of my LM stats from my fitting with Bob (who was absolutely amazing):

Burner Plus '09: Speed Blades: Differential:
Launch Angle: 17.2* Launch Angle: 20.8* Launch Angle: +3.6*
Spin: 4640 rpm Spin: 3238 rpm Spin: -1402 rpm
Carry: 178 yards Carry: 193 yards Carry: +15 yards

So from these numbers, I can see that the Speed Blades are flat out better than the Burner Plus, obviously. However, other people with some of the newer equipment from other OEMs were seeing no less that 8 yards more carry. I plan on getting these bent 2* upright (first fitting ever, I am certainly glad I know my specs now). I am also considering a different set of shafts in them that may even boost the performance more. Like Bob said, the stock 85g stiff shaft fits the vast majority of amateur golfers out there, so I may also stick with it as I am nothing special. I am excited to see what the others that are testing these see as I saw nothing but positives.

Nice dude. I'll take a guess that you had no problems holding the green with that lower spin? I think that's the first thing people point to when they see that number. Lower spin is pretty much the opposite of what traditional thought processes go after, but I can't see many negatives there if you're able to keep it on the green due to descent angle. Should react better in the wind, carries farther, etc.

Nice dude. I'll take a guess that you had no problems holding the green with that lower spin? I think that's the first thing people point to when they see that number. Lower spin is pretty much the opposite of what traditional thought processes go after, but I can't see many negatives there if you're able to keep it on the green due to descent angle. Should react better in the wind, carries farther, etc.

EXACTLY! The greens that I did hit I saw no problem with the ball not holding. Even if I hit it a little thin, balls that would previously skid right off held a lot more. The lower CG really helps with what I am trying to change in my iron game and I think that goes for anyone who wants this type of forgiveness, and who wouldn't!?

EXACTLY! The greens that I did hit I saw no problem with the ball not holding. Even if I hit it a little thin, balls that would previously skid right off held a lot more. The lower CG really helps with what I am trying to change in my iron game and I think that goes for anyone who wants this type of forgiveness, and who wouldn't!?

Good stuff. I think they are changing the way we'll look at GI/Distance irons going forward. When you listen to those guys talk, they are flat out excited about that speed pocket.

This is exactly how the Rocketbladez changed my golf game coming from older irons. It's nice to hear a thud of the ball hitting the green and stay instead of watching it skip off the back.

Can't wait to hit the SpeedBlade irons when they hit the stores to compare numbers.

I'm still in Orlando, flying out at noon, so I'll have a lot more to add when I get to a computer, but the two shots that stood out to me the most this weekend were the 9 iron I posted about in the live thread, and a pitching wedge I hit later in the day. Caught both shots thin and the ball not only carried to the green, but landed and stopped a foot from the pitch mark.

Good stuff. I think they are changing the way we'll look at GI/Distance irons going forward. When you listen to those guys talk, they are flat out excited about that speed pocket.

I am going to echo the sentiments of tpluff and O'Carroll regarding the spin with the SpeedBlades. I hit a green from 165 out with a 9 iron and found my ball right next to the ballmark. Actually hit a Pitching Wedge off the tee on a short Par 4 and had the ball spin back about 1-2 feet in the fairway. Iron shots where I didn't hit the sweet spot were very forgiving and that is a testament to the SpeedBlades. My plan is to keep playing with the 85g stiff shafts for a while, but then look to potentially put some different shafts in them to see how they hold up.

Bob was awesome. That's very cool to get my fitting on film, especially with the Omni in the background.

Just an incredible experience.

What's going to be the deciding factor on shaft changes for you guys? Was there anything that led you to think you'd go that route, or is it just the desire to do some tinkering? Did you all get some recommendations there at the fitting session?

The fitting is awesome....I always like to imagine these designers just sitting in a room thinking about what new club idea could enhance the golfing world. Just amazes me.

Excellent early stuff! Really intrigued by the higher launch via the lower COG. Getting those longer irons at a height I like has always been a challenge so I am quite anxious to see how I can hit the 6 iron.

Vegas...yes....I will spend time with these.

What's going to be the deciding factor on shaft changes for you guys? Was there anything that led you to think you'd go that route, or is it just the desire to do some tinkering? Did you all get some recommendations there at the fitting session?

For me, it is purely tinkering purposes. Bob did say he would like me in a little bit heavier shaft (I had been looking at KBS 90 for a while now, that's not my choice at this point, just funny how things work out), but it wasn't a big deal if I didn't switch. I previously thought that I was in the X flex range, but in talking with him we decided that S was the way to go for now.

The shaft recommendations were very interesting too Dan. I hope you take his advice, because I'm very curious to see how it works out for you long term.

I am going to try and find a good deal on some PXi 6.5's because I am very interested in what he was saying, but with them at 118g a shaft, it still opens the door to a lot of shafts that I am more used to seeing like the DG x100's or something like that.

These things definitely reduced my spin numbers, but it's also worth keeping in mind that the 7 iron in the SpeedBlade is 30.5* of loft as compared to my gamer iron which is 35* of loft in the 7 iron. That can certainly help to explain the added distance and decreased spin a bit, but it really adds to their design elements on the ability to increase overall launch without inflating spin numbers. Frankly, I find that remarkable.

Additionally, the design features on the larger more forgiving head just makes them easy to hit. I'll be dropping a larger response in this thread soon, but it's always fun to go to a set like this, where solid contact doesn't come at a premium. They are just truly easy to hit.

That's a good question. I listened in on a lot of the fittings, and I don't think a single golfer I saw would need more spin or lower launch than what they were getting with the stock shaft. I think there will definitely be golfers though that are used to a heavier shaft that may want something different. I also don't think these shafts are best suited to a quick transition/tempo swing. For me, that's actually not a bad thing, as when I'm quick its a sign I'm over swinging anyways and actually hurting my distance and contact.

I didn't personally get other shaft recommendations. I was kind of blown away by what I saw in stock and forgot to ask. Personally, I'd consider some C. Kua graphites or maybe the C Taper Lites in stiff. NO need for me to go X with these unless dispersion became an issue (and it hasn't so far).

I don't think these are the best feeling shafts in the world, very True Temper DGish. But they aren't horrible either.

I was fit into some KBS shafts earlier in the year, but didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sold on the iron heads my club fitter had available, nor did I think it made sense money-wise to reshaft my current irons.

Since Bob suggested shortening the stock shafts by 1/4 inch and bending them 1 degree flat, I'm on the fence whether to reshaft or not. So for me? It's a tinkering thing, combined with a previous fitting where I hit a ton more balls.

Good stuff Tyler!

I am going to try and find a good deal on some PXi 6.5's because I am very interested in what he was saying, but with them at 118g a shaft, it still opens the door to a lot of shafts that I am more used to seeing like the DG x100's or something like that.

These things definitely reduced my spin numbers, but it's also worth keeping in mind that the 7 iron in the SpeedBlade is 30.5* of loft as compared to my gamer iron which is 35* of loft in the 7 iron. That can certainly help to explain the added distance and decreased spin a bit, but it really adds to their design elements on the ability to increase overall launch without inflating spin numbers. Frankly, I find that remarkable.

Additionally, the design features on the larger more forgiving head just makes them easy to hit. I'll be dropping a larger response in this thread soon, but it's always fun to go to a set like this, where solid contact doesn't come at a premium. They are just truly easy to hit.

That's what's so interesting to me. I saw it firsthand testing them against other irons last year. Hard to wrap your head around it, isn't it?

That's a good question. I listened in on a lot of the fittings, and I don't think a single golfer I saw would need more spin or lower launch than what they were getting with the stock shaft. I think there will definitely be golfers though that are used to a heavier shaft that may want something different. I also don't think these shafts are best suited to a quick transition/tempo swing. For me, that's actually not a bad thing, as when I'm quick its a sign I'm over swinging anyways and actually hurting my distance and contact.

I didn't personally get other shaft recommendations. I was kind of blown away by what I saw in stock and forgot to ask. Personally, I'd consider some C. Kua graphites or maybe the C Taper Lites in stiff. NO need for me to go X with these unless dispersion became an issue (and it hasn't so far).

I don't think these are the best feeling shafts in the world, very True Temper DGish. But they aren't horrible either.

That's sort of what I was getting at. From a launch/spin standpoint, I see a lot of things that I wouldn't change a bit. Of course, that doesn't take tempo, preference, and dispersion into account. I'd agree that those 85g are more suited to a smoother tempo. They area little laggy, but you can really feel them pop when you get a good strong swing with them.

Back