TaylorMade Staff Putters - The Morgan Cup

I'm guessing it is. I've had it since May 2. I've used it a lot :D

I don't recall seeing this anywhere else by any of the other staffers or any others that own putters with this insert. I've never seen it before in an insert for that matter.

Reminds me of looking at my uncle's clubs and every club has a quarter sized wear pattern right in the middle of the face...jerk!

This is not trash talk, but I am wondering if there is a defect in the insert. Again, not trash talk, not doubting your abilities with the putter, just wondering why it would show any wear this quickly. It makes me not want to get one if it is going to wear this quickly. Any way to check with the TM rep on this?

Just out of curiousity, do you mark your ball with an alignment sharpie line that could be leaving that mark instead of it being actual wear? I've left marks from that on iron faces before. Seems odd that it is such a perfectly vertical line.
I've not hit one putt with this club with a marked ball. Here are a couple of more shots of it from the top. I just think it's a wear pattern from hitting the same part in the center. I can't feel any indentation with my finger, but the visual proof is there.

4c650e3a-7bd8-707f.jpg

4c650e3a-7be8-001e.jpg

This is not trash talk, but I am wondering if there is a defect in the insert. Again, not trash talk, not doubting your abilities with the putter, just wondering why it would show any wear this quickly. It makes me not want to get one if it is going to wear this quickly. Any way to check with the TM rep on this?

I'm hoping the other staffers can see this and maybe JB can alert TM and he could give us some feedback on the normalcy of this.

I'm hoping the other staffers can see this and maybe JB can alert TM and he could give us some feedback on the normalcy of this.

it does look a little strange, but it may be nothing but ball wear I guess

That second set of pictures would make me really nervous, because if you miss just a little, that could literally through off your putt quite a bit. It basically is no longer square.

Its normal, its not wear, every single ghost with the pure roll i have seen have that line looking thing running down the middle, must be the way the produce the insert

I've not hit one putt with this club with a marked ball. Here are a couple of more shots of it from the top. I just think it's a wear pattern from hitting the same part in the center. I can't feel any indentation with my finger, but the visual proof is there.

Come clean Biggsy, you are rubbing that putterface up with something other than putts. No way you hit putts that consistantly in the center. That is DAMN impressive for you man. No way I would buy one of these inserts, just for ego sake. Mine would look like a zebra.

That second set of pictures would make me really nervous, because if you miss just a little, that could literally through off your putt quite a bit. It basically is no longer square.
You don't have to worry about it if you hit it pure every time! :wink:

Come clean Biggsy, you are rubbing that putterface up with something other than putts. No way you hit putts that consistantly in the center. That is DAMN impressive for you man. No way I would buy one of these inserts, just for ego sake. Mine would look like a zebra.

read above post, its not wear

Its normal, its not wear, every single ghost with the pure roll i have seen have that line looking thing running down the middle, must be the way the produce the insert

from the beginning or after use over time?

There is a groove down the middle, I can see the edges of the insert rolled over to make this groove, I can see it, I can't feel it.

from the beginning or after use over time?

from the beggining, i noticed it the 2nd day i had mine, i also had the TM-110 Daytona Ghost for about a week and it had that mark, i have rolled the TM-770 and Corza Ghost and they both had it as well, it must be the way they make the insert that leaves that dark streak

There is a groove down the middle, I can see the edges of the insert rolled over to make this groove, I can see it, I can't feel it.

o well then thats not the same thing im talking about or the dark streak in your picture, im talking about the dark streak, there shouldnt be a groove running up and down the center

o well then thats not the same thing im talking about or the dark streak in your picture, im talking about the dark streak, there shouldnt be a groove running up and down the center
I guess it's more of a streak because I can't feel it. Sounds like it's a common thing.

You don't have to worry about it if you hit it pure every time! :wink:

True, but I putt with a blade with no insert and do something very odd. I will purposely take a putt out towards the toe to cut down on speed while taking the same stroke as if I took it off of the sweet spot. The joys of knowing your putter I guess.

True, but I putt with a blade with no insert and do something very odd. I will purposely take a putt out towards the toe to cut down on speed while taking the same stroke as if I took it off of the sweet spot. The joys of knowing your putter I guess.
Lots of different ways to get it in the hole. Does that impart cut spin?

Ever see Billy Mayfair putt? It will make you dizzy.

It's just a matter of being consistent.

Off the main topic, but I know what you are saying. Whenever I have a short tap in, I have a bad habit of lining it up at the heel and giving it a short jab for a tap on. No clue where I learned this from.

Lots of different ways to get it in the hole. Does that impart cut spin?
Ever see Billy Mayfair putt? It will make you dizzy.

It's just a matter of being consistent.

Nope, and goes just as straight, just weaker. But, back on topic, I have gone off on a tangent long enough.

I've played probably 20 rounds so far with the TaylorMade TM 770 and I've never putted as well as I am with this putter. I love the face balance and the pure roll insert just gets the ball rolling pure on the green. I now put almost every putt right online, and with the speed I meant to put on it. This doesn't mean I'm making everything, far from it, but now if I miss it was a miss read, or the wrong speed, it was never the putt itself. Within 10 feet I'm deadly now. I feel like I'm going to make everything within that range, obviously I don't, but I feel like I'm going to and that confidence goes a long way. LOVE this putter.

I've played probably 20 rounds so far with the TaylorMade TM 770 and I've never putted as well as I am with this putter. I love the face balance and the pure roll insert just gets the ball rolling pure on the green. I now put almost every putt right online, and with the speed I meant to put on it. This doesn't mean I'm making everything, far from it, but now if I miss it was a miss read, or the wrong speed, it was never the putt itself. Within 10 feet I'm deadly now. I feel like I'm going to make everything within that range, obviously I don't, but I feel like I'm going to and that confidence goes a long way. LOVE this putter.

that kind of confidence on the green is a great feeling isn't it? Glad this putter is working out for you. I do like the feel of the pure roll insert myself.

Great feedback CoolBreeze. Confidence is key with the old flatstick. Glad you're doing so well with it!

Just an update. I am consistently around 30 putts around and I've had one 3 putt in my last 5 rounds. Still just loving the confidence the putter gives me.

The white grip gets dirty a lot easier than some other grips I've had in the past. I've just tried soap and warm water and that hasn't cleaned it. JB suggested magic eraser, so I am going to pick up that and give it a try.

The bottom of the putter is still flawless and no marks whatsoever so that is holding up nicely. I do have a small nick at the bottom of the face on the paint. Not sure how it got there, but I can't even photograph it. Just one of those things from a putt off the green I suppose. Not worried about.

I'm noticing that the Pure Roll insert is getting a groove or wear pattern on the center of the face (thank god), from repeated hits. I snapped a picture of it. Just shows how soft this insert is. Not sure what it does with performance, but I haven't noticed anything negative with it and I think it looks cool. Anyone else notice this with their Pure Roll inserts?

4c650e3a-7871-fe35.jpg

Biggsy, ever since you posted this, I have been looking at every Corza Ghost In different Golf Shops, and just about every demo model they have out has the same wear. I have asked the guys working at the different stores, some says its supposed to be like that (which it isnt) and others say its just normal wear and tear. Now the hard part, finding one in the store that hasnt been hit yet so I can buy it!

Good stuff CB, glad it's working for you. Are you seeing that same groove in your insert that I have in mine?

Biggsy, ever since you posted this, I have been looking at every Corza Ghost In different Golf Shops, and just about every demo model they have out has the same wear. I have asked the guys working at the different stores, some says its supposed to be like that (which it isnt) and others say its just normal wear and tear. Now the hard part, finding one in the store that hasnt been hit yet so I can buy it!
Interesting. Next time I am in GG I am going to take a look myself. You might have to order from some place online to ensure it hasn't been hit.

Interesting. Next time I am in GG I am going to take a look myself. You might have to order from some place online to ensure it hasn't been hit.

Going this afternoon, found a Sports Authority that has them still in the box...lets hope its still has its packaging on it.

Going this afternoon, found a Sports Authority that has them still in the box...lets hope its still has its packaging on it.

Very nice. Good luck. Hope you find the one you want!

Back