TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 Hybrid Review Thread

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get a full round in tomorrow with this thing. Here are two more pics sitting next to a B330-RX...

dc516e19de6cf294b0ae8563afee4ebe966ed300.JPG

e79364c01b55d3b3663cfa5c917db3bf405fbb5b.JPG

I was looking at this hybrid today at a local golf shop, and I really liked the look/feel. I will be looking to replace my Nike Sumo hybrids when the spring weather arrives here in Chicagoland, but until then, please provide some feedback on the performance of this club.

Thanks in advance.

Ok here are some more pics on green grass. Thoughts on this to come later when I get my head screwed on properly. :D

DSC08916.jpg

DSC08912.jpg

DSC08913.jpg

DSC08914.jpg

DSC08915.jpg

DSC08917.jpg

Nice Pics, i like how you snuck in the Polara test ball

Nice Pics, i like how you snuck in the Polara test ball

It was the only white ball I had in my pocket at the time. :D

Better than some nasty floaty.

Great pics Spank, I think it looks even better behind a ball haha. I know some people think the graphics on the head seem busy but I like them. To my eye it almost seems to help frame the ball better if that makes sense. Also I know some say the white makes the head look bigger which I dont neccesarily agree with but I like a smaller looking head and the graphics that frame the edges kind of provide a shrinking illusion in my mind. Thats just my personal visiual feedback that I get from the club.

Ok here are my initial thoughts after round numero uno in the bag:

Off the tee: The course I played yesterday normally doesn't give me a chance to tee up with a hybrid so I decided to play the member forward tees which pretty much let my driver sit on the shelf for a round. Mostly 3W but I did tee it up with the 3H on a couple of occasions. The ball flight is high as some folks eluded to. I had a Launcher 2.0 with a PX shaft (that promotes a low to mid ball flight) prior and I'm liking the higher trajectory. If anything I think it's more the shaft and if I wanted to lower it a bit I can switch out the stock shaft to accommodate. With that, balls do land softer which I am also ok with since I rarely use this off the tee and don't require more roll out. I'm seeing a tad more distance gain than my current setup which is always nice (it is an increased loft than current setup as well as I was easing into the swing more). As far as forgiveness I had 2 shots which my swing was relatively similar one ended up being topped which flew straight and low and got decent non-punishable distance, and one was off the toe which kept my normal ball flight but a significant loss in distance. Both were not punished as they remained in the fairway which says a lot to me.

Off the fairway/1st cut: As I spoke of in previous posts this was my main focus is the interaction of the club with turf. I can say that it did a marvelous job of cutting through these conditions. I think the aerodynamic qualities plus what TM learned on the Raylor hybrid (as the leading edge of the club looks like a shallower version of the Raylor design) really shined through. Gliding the club through was effortless with no discernible "bounce". Catching shots fat, which I tend to do with my Launcher, didn't punish me from a dispersion perspective. I didn't get to hit it from the heavy stuff nor tight lies or sand so that will have to be something I have to look for in the future.

Random notes: Hitting this club was a pleasure. Are there things that could be improved? Perhaps. First at address, the ball (I hit white and yellow) is framed perfectly with no glare. I never paid so much attention to the topline of a club before until standing on top of this club. One picky item is the alignment aid is a flame with the word "Burner" on a line. I think they could've just done without the "Burner" and just the flame and it would have been great (I like simplicity in my alignment aids). Second, I normally play heavier shafts just because my fitter has told me that I can be handsy with my swing. Being that this shaft is the 60g when I decided to go after shots the lighter shaft did promote my miss which is a big hook. I can easily flick the ball with the club and the combination of light + kick point + torque help me execute shots that I would normally not be able to pull off with a heavier shaft. Take that with a grain of salt because I personally don't think that, at my skill level, it's an important thing to be able to do such things with a club that high in the bag. I'm still at the "keep it in the fairway" level and for that having my hands be able to do such things might cause more problems than it can solve.

Overall analysis: It's a great club and with fitting it is a no brainer. I say that because for me I'm not convinced that this shaft is right for my game. I love the sound off a well hit shot on this club. I love that it glides through the turf. I love the feel of a good pop off the face and I love that if that doesn't happen it's forgiving enough not to punish, or worse, penalize me for missing the face. At the same token I love that the face (at least currently) allows me to see where I hit the ball off the face and it's a simple wipe to make the slate clean. I love how it frames the ball perfectly as well. These are just initial impressions and as I go thorough this process long term I'm sure there will be some things that pop up that I will post on this thread. If anyone also has any questions or any thing else you want me to try to do with this club (except saw it in half :D ) please let me know. I will be keeping everything standard for the foreseeable future (at least a couple of months) just to make sure I solidify my findings and appropriate reviews are done before any tweaks can be done.

Thanks again to THP and TaylorMade for this great opportunity.

Well done Spank, glad to hear you were able to get it out on the course. Sounds like it got a pretty solid workout for its first time on the turf. I think people will be happy to hear that the sole performs in a manner that all of us as hybrid users hope they will. I cant wait to hear how it performs out of the real junk, meaning atleast an inch and a half or taller. I think your giving some great feedback so far buddy, keep up the good work.

Well done Spank, glad to hear you were able to get it out on the course. Sounds like it got a pretty solid workout for its first time on the turf. I think people will be happy to hear that the sole performs in a manner that all of us as hybrid users hope they will. I cant wait to hear how it performs out of the real junk, meaning atleast an inch and a half or taller. I think your giving some great feedback so far buddy, keep up the good work.

Thanks Hole~Out! Believe me when I say that there will be times that I will get into some junk. I don't know if you're familiar with St Augustine grass but if you really miss here in FL (like into someone's backyard) that's the grass that its likely in. It's thick and a pretty telling test on how well this thing will cut through high turf. I'll be sure to post pics as well just for posterity.

Spankster! love the initial feedback. I'm gonna get caught up on these threads. Having an ADD moment with work and THP lol. Good stuff and I'm loving the looks of these clubs.

Thanks Hole~Out! Believe me when I say that there will be times that I will get into some junk. I don't know if you're familiar with St Augustine grass but if you really miss here in FL (like into someone's backyard) that's the grass that its likely in. It's thick and a pretty telling test on how well this thing will cut through high turf. I'll be sure to post pics as well just for posterity.

Great initial thoughts. This is the best looking hybrid on the market. I look forward to how she handles the deep stuff!

Tap before talk.

Awesome write-up there Spanks!!

Wow, We need to get this thread back on the first page.....

Alright another lengthy session at the range today. Did I already say this club was long? I really enjoy hitting this hybrid, I wanted to get another bucket after I finished the first one. The way the white head frames the ball, it is so easy to align. Again, I like the ball flight, high and a soft landing. This hybrid will be great to go to the green with. The feel of the ball coming off the face it great. The sound of the club hitting the ball sounds great. Better than my Nike for sure.

I am playing after work tomorrow so I will have some on course feedback in the evening. I can’t wait to get this badboy out in the fairways and rough to see what it can do.

I don’t say it enough, thanks again THP and Taylormade for this great opportunity.

Hey all,

To tacotruck's point earlier in the thread, is this club any different from last year's Burner Superlaunch hybrids apart from the white crown and black face/sole? We can get our hands on last year's model up here in the Great White North, and they're currently on sale in light of the 2.0's arrival.

Thanks!

Hey all,

To tacotruck's point earlier in the thread, is this club any different from last year's Burner Superlaunch hybrids apart from the white crown and black face/sole? We can get our hands on last year's model up here in the Great White North, and they're currently on sale in light of the 2.0's arrival.

Thanks!

Looking at specs nothing seems to have changed. I do not have last years model nor did I ever swing it so I'm afraid I can't tell you the difference there. Sorry.

Had some time on Tuesday for a quick range session so here are some thoughts:

I definitely have to swing easier with this club. All my shots that were hit on the money felt great and impact was smooth as well as audibly great. Ball flight has been high and I could definitely hit a loopy draw with this club (sometimes not necessarily a good thing). I do feel that the shaft is too light and has it's kickpoints in the wrong areas for me. Every time I try to "go after it", I tend to get a wicked hook because my hands get too active (a trait that occurs when the shaft is too light and torque is not low enough) and close the club face at impact.

I will be taking this out on the course (at least for the next couple of rounds) as is since I want to give this club a full workout before I make any adjustments.

I got out yesterday to play 18. I agree with Spank on the swing easy part. If I tried to over swing in any way, I would pull the ball right. All it needed was a smooth swing and man the ball would launch off the face. More to come later tonight when I get to a computer.

Just Tap It In. Just Tap It In.

I definitely have to swing easier with this club. All my shots that were hit on the money felt great and impact was smooth as well as audibly great. Ball flight has been high and I could definitely hit a loopy draw with this club (sometimes not necessarily a good thing). I do feel that the shaft is too light and has it's kickpoints in the wrong areas for me. Every time I try to "go after it", I tend to get a wicked hook because my hands get too active (a trait that occurs when the shaft is too light and torque is not low enough) and close the club face at impact.

I will be taking this out on the course (at least for the next couple of rounds) as is since I want to give this club a full workout before I make any adjustments.

Sounds like my initial struggles with the mashie spank. If I got too quick with it, I got a serious case of the yanks.

Sounds like my initial struggles with the mashie spank. If I got too quick with it, I got a serious case of the yanks.

I hope you don't mean the team. :D

I want to narrow it down to whether it's the club or the swing first before I do anything drastic. Here's my question to the loads of Mashie-ites on this site...
For those of you who were initially struggling with the same thing early in the Mashie testing (due to the lighter shaft) or post purchase, what did you do to adjust?

I hope you don't mean the team. :D

I want to narrow it down to whether it's the club or the swing first before I do anything drastic. Here's my question to the loads of Mashie-ites on this site...
For those of you who were initially struggling with the same thing early in the Mashie testing (due to the lighter shaft) or post purchase, what did you do to adjust?

Excellent question, and for me spank, one word: TEMPO. Just get in a groove with your swing, and put the ball in the bottom of it and watch the ball fly baby!

Excellent question, and for me spank, one word: TEMPO. Just get in a groove with your swing, and put the ball in the bottom of it and watch the ball fly baby!

Gonna try it next out I get. I'm thinking of lengthening my swing for my irons anyway and this will give me some headway on that. I've even tried to swing more towards 1st base to adjust and that's when I get my loopy draw (which I really shouldn't do anyway). Thanks, bro.

Gonna try it next out I get. I'm thinking of lengthening my swing for my irons anyway and this will give me some headway on that. I've even tried to swing more towards 1st base to adjust and that's when I get my loopy draw (which I really shouldn't do anyway). Thanks, bro.

I've found that my swing has gone that direction as well over the winter, a lot due to working on that TEMPO. I've lengthened my swing and picked up some clubhead speed as a result.

Keep it up dude, you're doing a good job.

How's the wear and tear on the white crown/black face?

I've found that my swing has gone that direction as well over the winter, a lot due to working on that TEMPO. I've lengthened my swing and picked up some clubhead speed as a result.

Keep it up dude, you're doing a good job.

How's the wear and tear on the white crown/black face?

White crown is still spotless with no idiot marks. The black face is getting some marks especially the leading edge which is expected since I've been topping some balls as well as teeing off. Similar to my SuperTri actually. I haven't magic erased it yet since I don't think there was any need to do so yet. Nothing obscene or out of the ordinary to report.

Also, for anyone who's interested out there (as I don't really see this in a lot of other threads) if you want to see wear pictures or any suggestions please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Back