TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I bought the 4-AW set with PX 6.0s. Might be too stiff for me, we'll see.

I currently have a 22deg 4h in the bag. Ill probably have to pull that out of bag for a while to give the 4i a shot.

I bought the 4-AW set with PX 6.0s. Might be too stiff for me, we'll see.

I currently have a 22deg 4h in the bag. Ill probably have to pull that out of bag for a while to give the 4i a shot.

If you like the CB 4iron as much as I like mine you might consider pulling your 4h from the bag. I'd be interested to hear how those PX shafts treat ya. I see you went with the AW, what will be your wedge set-up now? I've been considering reworking mine, because the wedge set-up that I have now with the CB's/ leaves a few gaps in my wedge game.

Good Luck and enjoy brendoh!

I have been enjoying good success with by CBs over the last few weeks. I've got the distances down pretty well and love the accuracy of the scoring irons. I don't think I am in a worse position on mishits than I was with my old set and my scores have actually been going down since I started gaming these irons. I love the fact that on the range they make me try to improve my swing to get that buttery feel on every shot and see consitent trajectories etc. On the course I just focus on tempo and let them fly.

I see you went with the AW, what will be your wedge set-up now? I've been considering reworking mine, because the wedge set-up that I have now with the CB's/ leaves a few gaps in my wedge game.

Ive not put a ton of thought to it yet. I had 50/54/60 setup before. I was thinking of going to AW(51)/54/58 or 51/56/60. Definitely going to be sticking with my older 54/60 for a little bit to think this through.

Got my CBs delivered yesterday and realized I forgot to tell them I wanted white Lamkin Performance Plus grips on them. Oh, well....did a quick re-grip and let them sit for an hour or so and took the 5 and 7 iron out to my practice area. The more I swing these the more I love the way they feel which just makes me all the more happy that I got fitted and placed a custom order. I am hitting these dead center on the face and the feel through the swing and especially impact is great. Even when I was off the sweet spot impact feel was outstanding. None of the harsh twang you get when you even fractionally miss the sweet spot on most forged clubs. Can't wait to play a round with these over the weekend.

Got my CBs delivered yesterday and realized I forgot to tell them I wanted white Lamkin Performance Plus grips on them. Oh, well....did a quick re-grip and let them sit for an hour or so and took the 5 and 7 iron out to my practice area. The more I swing these the more I love the way they feel which just makes me all the more happy that I got fitted and placed a custom order. I am hitting these dead center on the face and the feel through the swing and especially impact is great. Even when I was off the sweet spot impact feel was outstanding. None of the harsh twang you get when you even fractionally miss the sweet spot on most forged clubs. Can't wait to play a round with these over the weekend.

Where are you playing at in Philly. I'm originally from the area and have played a bunch of course that way..just curious.

Playing Lederach tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it as it is one of the nicer courses in the area. However I have to make an emergency stop at Golf Galaxy for grips and tape after work. A couple of the grips I just installed have what has to be a manufacturing defect where the bottom half seems thin and stretched out. They are very loose fitting under the bottom hand causing some major twisting during the swing.

Playing Lederach tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it as it is one of the nicer courses in the area. However I have to make an emergency stop at Golf Galaxy for grips and tape after work. A couple of the grips I just installed have what has to be a manufacturing defect where the bottom half seems thin and stretched out. They are very loose fitting under the bottom hand causing some major twisting during the swing.

Wierd, were they the right size grips?

First golf course I ever played....good course. Good luck with the CB's!

Wierd, were they the right size grips?

Yes they are, pulled all the grips out of the same bin and all have the same "Standard Round" markings. Most of them fit as expected but the other have this odd problem. I've re-gripped my clubs dozens of times with various brands and models and this is the first time I've seen this.

Got back to the range today again. Really enjoying these clubs.

Today I decided to try over swinging a club down to get onto some of the greens. I had great results with getting the ball to the green. This was the main issue with the MB's I had that I would over swing and the ball would go no where do to no forgiveness.

I still think my ball flight is a little high but not sure what I can do to bring it down since I am already playing X100 shafts.

Want to follow up with a review after playing a round and range time. First thing I will comment all is the irons as forgiving. on the range and on the course fat shots, and I mean digging down to China fat, only came up maybe 15 yards short. During the round all I can says is these irons just feel right. I hit 8 greens today and the ones that were missed were only misses by a couple of yards. Again, the more I swing these the more I like them. The only adjustment I had to make is to move my ball position a forward a little. After this adjustment I was hitting iron shots that I wouldn't have attempted before. Hit a 198 yard 4 iron to 10 feet. Feel, sound and performance were all excellent. Iron play today was almost effortless, allowing me to focus on the shot I wanted to hit instead of just putting a good swing on the ball. 100% thrilled with the TaylorMade Tour Preferred CBs

My local Dick's had these new in stock when I stopped by today. I wasn't sure about the look from the pictures I had seen on the web, but in person I was very impressed.

I had an absolutely fantastic day at the range with my CBs on Saturday. I was hitting the six and seven iron as far as I've hit either of those irons on any previous clubs I've played. Then I pulled the 9-iron and hit a shot to within two feel of the practice pin that was 125 yards out. I've struggled with these irons on previous days, and I'm practicing and taking lessons to get my swing better and more consistent. When I do things correctly, these irons really reward!

In direct contrast to JMS546 above who posted "Iron play today was almost effortless, allowing me to focus on the shot I wanted to hit instead of just putting a good swing on the ball."; I would say that my success is in doing the exact opposite. I need to put a LOT of effort into my takeaway and follow through - absolutely and only focusing on putting a good swing on the ball. I bought these irons because I wanted to be a better and more consistent golfer. I've had some frustrations and my scores have suffered, but my goals are being achieved with these clubs, in that they are "forcing" me to have a more consistent swing. I don' t know if I'm a better "golfer" yet, as it's been awhile since I've done a round. But I am a better "practicer", I'm making much more solid contact, and I know when and now WHY I didn't hit a solid shot. That's partly due to the instruction I've received, but the feedback from the CBs sends a clear message as well. I look forward to the coming weekend when I'll take the CBs out to the course for a round.

Just wanted to hop in and say thanks to the testers for all the time spent in giving their honest feedback. TM has to be very happy! Great job everyone.

Whew...I didn't have a chance to report about my last round on Sunday with the CB's. First of all these irons especially the scoring irons have changed the way I managed the course and attack the greens. My 7-PW have allowed me to attack greens like never before. My approach shots Sunday were the only thing saving me strokes. The DGXP shafts that I have in my CB's help deliver a nice trajectory that helps the ball get up in a hurry and land softly on the greens. These clubs are forgiving as most have noted but they will leave you short if hit thin or slightly fat. I have a habit of hitting some shots thin and yesterday it cost me at least one stroke. I had an approach shot of about 155-160 and I hit my 8iron slightly thin. The ball got the same great trajectory and fell from the sky just as any good shot would but this time it was 5 yards short of the green. These irons have been giving me great feedback on well struck and off center hits. On most off center hits I'm not losing any accuracy only distance (about 5-8 yards on really bad shots). That's not a problem with me because it helps me focus on hitting the ball correctly and getting that "click" off the club face.

I've raved before about the 4i in the set and I will do it again. This club is amazing, I never thought I'd be able to hit a 4i ever again nor would want to after I got my 4h hybrid, but on Sunday I found myself pulling my 4i to hit shots I normally would with my hybrid. I find that these clubs deliver the accuracy and ball flight that I've been looking for for the past few years. Cheers TaylorMade!

My only gripe about the ball flight with the DGXP's is that the ball gets up in the air so fast its hard to hit these clubs out of any lie with a tree or overhanging branch, needless to say it's hard to keep the ball down.

Hitting over trees is not a problem. I liked my CB's a lot when I had them. Fun clubs! I also agree that the scoring clubs are spot on deadly accurate and will drop on the pin if you get em good. There is enough spin created with a good swing and the club that these will stop any excessive roll-out when in scoring range. At least whenever I got up in the 9-aw range, these held the green well. Distance is great, forgiveness is well, workable. I did not think unless I topped or thinned one that these really crush your spirits.

Really a grat set of clubs

Hitting over trees is not a problem. I liked my CB's a lot when I had them. Fun clubs! I also agree that the scoring clubs are spot on deadly accurate and will drop on the pin if you get em good. There is enough spin created with a good swing and the club that these will stop any excessive roll-out when in scoring range. At least whenever I got up in the 9-aw range, these held the green well. Distance is great, forgiveness is well, workable. I did not think unless I topped or thinned one that these really crush your spirits.

Really a grat set of clubs

I'm not sure if I missed it, but why did you switch to the MC/MB combo?

Just wanted to hop in and say thanks to the testers for all the time spent in giving their honest feedback. TM has to be very happy! Great job everyone.

Agreed, I read through every post in this thread and it's one of the reasons I went with the CBs, my custom set will be here early next week and I can't wait to take them to the course.

Honestly, because I like the Combo's and I am a sucker for punishment.

Honestly, because I like the Combo's and I am a sucker for punishment.

So they haven't been treating you that well? Those blades are sexy. I'd love to have the MB's in a PW maybe even a 9i.

So they haven't been treating you that well? Those blades are sexy. I'd love to have the MB's in a PW maybe even a 9i.

Oh they are awesome. There is a curve though. They sound different then the CB's in stead of a nice thwack sound it seems it is more a solid click. I will say that CB's in the long irons is a great idea. They are more forgiving in terms of hitting heel/toe. The cb may be tad longer, but I was comfortable with them before they went away. If I was going to order cb again, kbs tours would be slapped in their. So smooth and I get a little lower ball flight, not much though. I still believe the cb are excellent irons. I just like that smaller profile and I am more comfortable with it.

Does anyone here have the matching approach wedge? It lists the AW as 50 degrees everywhere, but its stamped 51 on my wedge. Just curious if its 50 or 51. thinking of bending it to 52 so i can run a 2 wedge setup

Does anyone here have the matching approach wedge? It lists the AW as 50 degrees everywhere, but its stamped 51 on my wedge. Just curious if its 50 or 51. thinking of bending it to 52 so i can run a 2 wedge setup

I've been curious about this too Stage...the TaylorMade website says it is 50 deg, but the one I saw at Dicks the other day was stamped like yours at 51.

My old set had 51. I loved that option in the set. You can always have them bent.

Back