TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

this is why everyone must hit clubs for themselves....I thought the exact opposite when I was testing the CB's

Hanks I couldn't agree more, when I tested the Burner 2.0s I just couldn't get them to perform for me, and when I first hit the CBs I was hitting them ok, but as soon as I hit the 2 degree upright CB head I was head over heels in love with them. It was a perfect marriage of look, feel and performance. But then once I hit the MCs it was back to the stoneage for me, I just couldn't hit the MCs to save my life. I was really looking for an iron similar to the r9s and the CBs fit that bill perfectly.

I know I've said it before, but get fitted, if I hadn't been fitted I wouldn't have ended up with the CBs but the fitting made them that much better, for me at least.

this is why everyone must hit clubs for themselves....I thought the exact opposite when I was testing the CB's

Couldnt agree more.

These are a sick set of clubs, I have seen some people hit them very well and I have seen some struggle

No doubt.....I hit them ok but struggled with forgiveness as they punished me out on the toe more than I liked

Couldnt agree more.

These are a sick set of clubs, I have seen some people hit them very well and I have seen some struggle

I'm one of the ones that has been struggling with these a bit. But I've made peace with the longer irons and am hitting them more consistently now. My big change was swapping out the Tour Velvet grips that came with them for the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips. With the New Decade grips, the club feels much more secure in my hands and I'm now longer and with better direction control. Great improvement, and it's really improving my confidence with these.

Still working through some kinks. I couldn't find the center of the clubface for the longest time, and I've corrected that. Now working on not hitting fat quite so often, and that's coming around too. The CBs haven't been "Plug n' Play" for me, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.

I'm one of the ones that has been struggling with these a bit. But I've made peace with the longer irons and am hitting them more consistently now. My big change was swapping out the Tour Velvet grips that came with them for the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound grips. With the New Decade grips, the club feels much more secure in my hands and I'm now longer and with better direction control. Great improvement, and it's really improving my confidence with these.

Still working through some kinks. I couldn't find the center of the clubface for the longest time, and I've corrected that. Now working on not hitting fat quite so often, and that's coming around too. The CBs haven't been "Plug n' Play" for me, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.

Good idea on the grip change. Sometimes its the little things.

Thats what is hard to deal with in these clubs. If your missing the center of the face, your coming up short. If you club up to play the "just in case I dont hit it center" shot, and you do catch it flush...bye bye.

I've noticed this as well. I can hit consecutive shots on the range with my 5-iron. Cream the first one with a beautiful ball flight, the next shot feels "almost" the same and it flies 15 yards shorter.

Thats what is hard to deal with in these clubs. If your missing the center of the face, your coming up short. If you club up to play the "just in case I dont hit it center" shot, and you do catch it flush...bye bye.

I've noticed this as well. I can hit consecutive shots on the range with my 5-iron. Cream the first one with a beautiful ball flight, the next shot feels "almost" the same and it flies 15 yards shorter.

thats pretty spot on...thats a difficult pill to swallow

I'm suprised that you are getting those results from a "good shot." These clubs let me know immediatley if the ball is going to fall short. For example, I teed off with a 7 iron and hit it a little thin, the DGXP's get the ball up in the air real quick and the accuracy makes the ball look pin high. While the ball is in the air the guy I'm playing with says, "that ball's finding the green." I turn to him and say "nope", 2 seconds later the ball falls five feet short of the green. The ball was hit slightly thin and I could tell it was going to come up short just from the subtle feedback. Swinging these clubs there is no grey area. The Burner 2.0's are like a stop light. You hit good shots you get a green light, you hit a shot thin or slightly fat you get a yellow light, you hit a shot really awful you get a red light. The CB's are Green and Red...no yellow. They lack that subtle forgiveness that make a "real" GI iron a GI iron. I've always been a solid iron player so thankfully these clubs are not killing me at all (I actually shot my best round of the season with these babies). But they are helpful on those balls I hit slightly thin. I know I wouldn't get that same feedback from a GI iron. They are almost like a teaching tool, it's really fun, because they have helped me always strive to hit a solid shot rather than just hacking around like I did with my old GI set.

The slight distance loss on thin shots is my only issue with this set.

...They are almost like a teaching tool, it's really fun, because they have helped me always strive to hit a solid shot rather than just hacking around like I did with my old GI set.

I totally agree with this comment I've highlighted above. The CBs have been a great teaching tool for me as well, and I've had my best rounds in 2 years with them - including shooting a 4 over par on the back 9 of a course I played about ten days ago. The CBs have caused me to seek out lessons and the pro has changed my swing significantly. So it's all part of the learning curve. The CBs have challenged me and I like that about them. Perhaps I could use a bit more forgiveness on fat and/or off center hits, but that's not these clubs, and they are causing me to be more dedicated and less sloppy. Good things!

Price drop?

Price drop?

I was at my local golf shop last weekend and noticed the Tour Preferred CB price dropped from $899 to $699 -- and when I inquired about the 4-PW (excluding the AW), it was only $599.

This seems like a big price drop for a relatively new set of clubs on the market. When I asked why it dropped, the Taylormade rep said was because customers had a hard time justifying the additional cost when the Burner 2.0 was priced at $699 for game improvement clubs.

Anyway, I felt it was a great deal and picked them up brand new, with custom fitting and adjustments. Has anyone else noticed a price drop? I don't see it with the online retailers just yet...

I have not noticed any drops. It would appear that the second cycle if new stuff is being prepared to launch IMO. I don't think the mc or mb will drop though. Great clubs at that price though!!!

I was at my local golf shop last weekend and noticed the Tour Preferred CB price dropped from $899 to $699 -- and when I inquired about the 4-PW (excluding the AW), it was only $599.

This seems like a big price drop for a relatively new set of clubs on the market. When I asked why it dropped, the Taylormade rep said was because customers had a hard time justifying the additional cost when the Burner 2.0 was priced at $699 for game improvement clubs.

Anyway, I felt it was a great deal and picked them up brand new, with custom fitting and adjustments. Has anyone else noticed a price drop? I don't see it with the online retailers just yet...

Im not sure what golf shop you were at, but there is no price drop right now on the TP irons according to the company just now. They offer different price points in clubs all the time just as they do with drivers with the Burner line between less than the R11 line. The price is still set at $899 according to the company. Great deal and enjoy them.

Last edited:

Sounds like a really nice deal. Enjoy!

You're definitely right - most of the online retailers are still at $899. However, I bought my set at Golf Mart, a large regional chain in California for $599 (less the AW), so I would advise people interested in these clubs to shop around and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

And most other retailers are still at $899.
Take a look at Golfsmith, TGW, Golf Galaxy, etc...3-PW sets are still the same price.
All I can go with is what the company says and that is that as of now, the price is $899.

There are a few very reputal companies that are authorized TM Distributors selling 4-PW for anywhere from $570-$650, so there are definitely deals to be had.

If you call Golf Galaxy they will even price match these companies as well. Didnt have that same luck in the local store though

Im about an 18hcp. I just shot 2 over par last week on the back nine of a tough course. these things are staying in the bag for a while. the worst part about it, i missed 2 birdie putts.

Im about an 18hcp. I just shot 2 over par last week on the back nine of a tough course. these things are staying in the bag for a while. the worst part about it, i missed 2 birdie putts.

congrats! "hoping" I can order mine real soon

also some legit sellers on ebay have 3-PW for $620 now, great price!

That is a huge difference it sounds!!!

I'm suprised that you are getting those results from a "good shot." These clubs let me know immediatley if the ball is going to fall short. For example, I teed off with a 7 iron and hit it a little thin, the DGXP's get the ball up in the air real quick and the accuracy makes the ball look pin high. While the ball is in the air the guy I'm playing with says, "that ball's finding the green." I turn to him and say "nope", 2 seconds later the ball falls five feet short of the green. The ball was hit slightly thin and I could tell it was going to come up short just from the subtle feedback. Swinging these clubs there is no grey area. The Burner 2.0's are like a stop light. You hit good shots you get a green light, you hit a shot thin or slightly fat you get a yellow light, you hit a shot really awful you get a red light. The CB's are Green and Red...no yellow. They lack that subtle forgiveness that make a "real" GI iron a GI iron. I've always been a solid iron player so thankfully these clubs are not killing me at all (I actually shot my best round of the season with these babies). But they are helpful on those balls I hit slightly thin. I know I wouldn't get that same feedback from a GI iron. They are almost like a teaching tool, it's really fun, because they have helped me always strive to hit a solid shot rather than just hacking around like I did with my old GI set.

The slight distance loss on thin shots is my only issue with this set.

Just catching back up on everyones feed back and well done guys. I especially liked this analogy, it puts this in an easily understood perspective.

I have played my second round with these and have come from the Burner 2.0. For some reason, even with the lack of forgiveness and my high handicap, I seem to hit these better. The shorter shafts inspire more confidence IMO and I hit these better then anything else. I have yet to hit a bad shot with them and very happy with my set :)

just ordered mine today, 4-PW, cant wait!!

I have played my second round with these and have come from the Burner 2.0. For some reason, even with the lack of forgiveness and my high handicap, I seem to hit these better. The shorter shafts inspire more confidence IMO and I hit these better then anything else. I have yet to hit a bad shot with them and very happy with my set :)

When I was trying these two sets of clubs, the shorter shafts appealed to me, too. They just looked and felt so good at set up.

Kevin

Back