TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Just a quick follow up, after playing a few rounds with the new Rocketbladez I am going back to the TPCBs and selling the RBladez to my friend. RBladez and I don't get along while TPCBs are just right and will stay in the bag for years it seems. Can't beat those clubs and the prices they are closing them out for. I was even thinking of getting a backup set just for when these get banged up.

Just a quick follow up, after playing a few rounds with the new Rocketbladez I am going back to the TPCBs and selling the RBladez to my friend. RBladez and I don't get along while TPCBs are just right and will stay in the bag for years it seems. Can't beat those clubs and the prices they are closing them out for. I was even thinking of getting a backup set just for when these get banged up.

Agree, been testing quite a few iron sets lately . Tested the Rbladez several times , just could get on with them sound , feel & consist strikes . The Tm tpcb's were not on my radar at all until the sales rep. said i had to try them. His pitch was " great iron at a great price ". I was sold on them pretty much
from the first strike.
They were easy to hit with an nice mid high flight , the things that really sold me
was the accuracy and feel ,sound .. sweet.
Now they do not have the distance of my cobra amps or the Rbladez about the same as my old Tm burner plus irons.
Plus a 525.00 sticker price for a new set of 4-pw,gw with graphite shafts..sold !
gb

Late to the Party

Late to the Party

I'm late to this party, but just picked up a new set of these on Ebay & will get to hit them today for the first time.

I'm hoping they can displace the Ci7s I've had in the bag forever.

I admit that I'm a little worried about distance loss & forgiveness, but my iron striking has gotten better as my handicap has dropped.

Man, some vintage me in this thread.

Our group is headed for out at the end of the week for our annual spring golf trip to Omaha Ne. I hope to get a 7 rounds in with my new Tp forged cb's.

I make a report once I get back in a week or so. I hope the weather holds up
we might have to head further south.
gb

Golfetail has these going for $380 shipped today and I'm strongly considering them. I average in the mid to upper 80s with good ball striking and terrible off the tee. Would these be a good option for the price if I'm looking for some soft feeling and playable irons that still have decent forgiveness? I've been looking at these and the adams cb3s and other similar clubs and may have to jump on these for the price.

Golfetail has these going for $380 shipped today and I'm strongly considering them. I average in the mid to upper 80s with good ball striking and terrible off the tee. Would these be a good option for the price if I'm looking for some soft feeling and playable irons that still have decent forgiveness? I've been looking at these and the adams cb3s and other similar clubs and may have to jump on these for the price.

They do have decent forgiveness compared to some other CB's on the market, and thats one great price. Even if it doesnt work out for you I bet u can recoup most of your money abck selling them

They do have decent forgiveness compared to some other CB's on the market, and thats one great price. Even if it doesnt work out for you I bet u can recoup most of your money abck selling them

Thanks for twisting my arm.

I have 3 rounds in with my CBs now.

I was worried that it would be too much of a players club for me, but I've gotten use to them pretty quickly. My biggest concern was loss of distance, but they've been spot on (or even a little longer) with my Ci-7s. Probably because the shaft is a better fit for me in the CBs.

I have 3 rounds in with my CBs now.

I was worried that it would be too much of a players club for me, but I've gotten use to them pretty quickly. My biggest concern was loss of distance, but they've been spot on (or even a little longer) with my Ci-7s. Probably because the shaft is a better fit for me in the CBs.

What shafts did you go with and what kind of ball flight are you getting?

Loving These CB's! Just missing one part of the party :-(

Loving These CB's! Just missing one part of the party :-(

Hello there everyone! I'm new to the TPCB family! However, I'm short the 8 iron. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of finding one? Steel, Stiff. I've tried Iron Finder, taylormadepreowned, TAYLORMADE!, e-bay and no luck. Thanks in advance!

The stock DG XP R300. Even though these shafts are designed to get the ball up in the air, they don't balloon on me like the stiff True Temper TX105s in my Ci7s do sometimes.

I was able to hit mine for the first time yesterday but just in my yard/field. So far I am loving the higher but penetrating ball flight I get with the DG xp S300's. Compared to my mizuno mx 25's I have been playing for 5 years they are definitely a little more demanding in the forgiveness category. I quickly found out if I didn't concentrate on hitting down on the ball I was going to hit it thin with a slight fade, and this was especially evident in the long irons. The 5-Pw are money but I've got some work to do with 4 iron. Out of 8 balls or so I hit with the 4 iron about half of them went low right and losing about 20 yards compared to the ones I focused on hitting down on. Also compared to my mizunos the cb's may be a little shorter but I will better be able to assess this on the range tomorrow. The main thing I noticed over my mizunos was I am able to go after the ball without worrying about losing it to the left. I'm not sure if this is due to the stiffer shafts or less offset but I'm not complaining. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and can't wait to get these on the range and course over the next few weeks.

I want to offer my input into this rather lengthy and long running thread, mostly because my decision to go with the TP CB's was heavily influenced by the comments made here over the past 2+ years.

A little background, I am a 10-12 depending, like many of us, on the amount of the playing and practicing that we can squeeze into our busy schedules. I have not played for the past 2 1/2 years having tore my rotary cuff in a freakish baseball accident, ( ok not really a freakish one more a stupid one on my part, freakish just sounds better). I decided to get back into the game again this year feeling that my shoulder was not causing me as much trouble when I stretched it high. I have a set of TM T200's that are a good 10 years old and even though I loved them I decided to take a look at some new sticks, new technology, watching too much Golf Channel, Golf Digest ads about how the new clubs will help me to climb Mt Everest, influences like that.
I started testing out various new clubs at the local Golf Town, and settled between Mizuno JXP825 Pro and the Titelist 712 AP1. I then come across a set of the TP CB's 4-AW, hardly played, and at $400 better then 1/2 the price of the new clubs I was testing. The choice after hitting them at the local range was not difficult and I bit the bullet and dove in, (I do hope my wife is not reading this).

I have now had the opportunity to hit the irons , at the range a couple of times, and played 2 9's at the club. First impression is they are a beautiful club, much prettier than my old T200's and both the Mizuno and Titelist that I was considering. They set up at the ball very nicely for my eyes with a top line that is not shovel like many of the non forged clubs are today. When you strike the ball well the fleeing is golden, absolutely amazing and nothing I have felt since the day I jumped onto the cast iron bandwagon in the 80's. The miss hits still get decent distance, not like my previous set, but with much better feedback, which as I play this year will help me improve my swing. I found the spin off the approach irons to be excellent, I am sure not what you would get from a blade, but acceptable compared to what I am used to. I did drop the AW since I carry 3 Vokeys but I play my PW quite a bit around the greens and from 50 yards in, when the approach is open. My chipping, at least when I practiced and the little I played is noticeably better than with the T200's, I am regularly within 5' of the pin on chips and actually sank 2 in the 18 holes I have played.

The ball flight is lower than what I am used to, less a towering and more a boring flight pattern. I do like the new flight but need to visually get used to it.

The one draw back I have noticed with these clubs is distance. I am a good club shorter with these than the T200's. I previously based an 8i at 150 yards and went down and up from there. With the CB's I am hitting it in the 140 range. I can adjust my club selection based on new yardages, but i still have some work to do to ensure the loss of distance is not a product of the shoulder injury, time of year, or swing quirks that will get ironed out as I practice.

In the end I LOVE these clubs. The T200's will be retired or sold and I am going to stay with the CB's. With no 3 iron I need to find a fill-in between my 5 wood and 4i, that may be a switch to hybrids and a reorganization of my longer irons and woods. I have been giving this some thought but with the number of wedges I carry running into the 14 club wall.

Final thoughts;

Beautiful looking club, wonderful at setup, perfect on the eyes.
Amazing feel, butter with no margarine mixed in
Great control around the green and with the approach irons
Short on distance but that might be caused by other factors.

Cheers

Rob

Hello there everyone! I'm new to the TPCB family! However, I'm short the 8 iron. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of finding one? Steel, Stiff. I've tried Iron Finder, taylormadepreowned, TAYLORMADE!, e-bay and no luck. Thanks in advance!
a golf course or a store should be able to order one for you

I picked up a used set of these over the weekend, 4-pw + gap wedge. Got them for $345 and the 7 iron is the only one that really looks like it has been used, looks like someone hit some sandy range balls so there are some cosmetic marks on the face, otherwise hard to tell they have been hit. Kicking myself for missing out on the golfetail deal, but thought this was a pretty good deal also.

I am coming from a set of r7's so I thought these would be a good upgrade. Slightly thinner top line and sole, but still similar to the r7's. Biggest difference is it is easy to tell when you don't hit the ball solid, the forged face gives a lot more feedback that my r7's. I think this will eventually help my ball striking. Anyone else happen to move from r7's to these ? Anyway, enjoying going back and reading this thread.

Used to own a set of the CB's... really solid iron set... enjoy!!!

Seems nobody here got the Tour Preferred CB's with the stock option TaylorMade/Fujikura Tour Preferred TP-90 graphite shaft (90 grams). This was an available stock graphite option for the Tour Preferred CB's only. (It was a custom-only option for the MC and MB models). Both Regular and Stiff Flex are available but if you order Regular Flex the weight will be 84 grams, (not 90 grams like the Stiff Flex).

The Grip will be the same as the steel model and according to TM, the swingweight is the same also at (D2). I suspect TM uses a different (heavier) screw weight for the graphite shafts. I don't know how else they could claim the same D2 swingweight for both the 90 gram graphite and the 115 gram DG XP steel models. Frankly some extra weight in the TP CB clubhead sounds like a very good thing to me!

Anyone concerned that the Tour Preferred CB's being may be a bit shorter in distance that other GI/CB irons you have hit may want to consider this option. The TP-90 is a a "heavy" graphite shaft similar in weight to the Aerotech Steel Fibers or the UST Recoils, but obviously these shaft will look much better in the Tour Preferred CB's due to the matching TM graphics.

I am reasonably sure these shafts remain available as a custom-only option from TM for current iron orders. These shafts appeared in the 2012 TM procuct catalog, but since I haven't seen the 2013 catalogs I can't say for sure the TP-90s are shown there.

If you want to reshaft your steel set with these shafts, it willl be necessary to send your clubs to TM to have the TP-90 graphite shafts installed. I am reasonably sure they would change the clubhead weights also as part of the conversion to graphite process. As far as I know, TM has never made the TP-90 a stock option for any other iron. This was an exclusive stock option for the 2011 Tour Preferred CB's.

If you still love your TP CB's but would like to see a bit more distance from them this option may be of interest to you. (Graphite does tend to offer more distance than steel).

One final tidbit: TM literature states that the trajectory for the TM/Fujikura TP-90 graphite shafts is mid-to-high, (depends on flex), which seems pretty consistent with the trajectories I have seen with Dynamic Gold XP steel shafts in R300 and S300.

Who Knew?

Last edited:
Very good info. I have the Fujikura shafts and I am quite happy with them. Definitely high quality graphite players shaft.

Back