TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Yea I was actually surprised at how good the AW is, it kicked out the 50 cg14 from my bag. If it really is 51 degrees i'm debating if i even want to bend it 1 degree. thats why im asking. might just leave it for now.

Kind of strange Stage...The US TaylorMade website shows the AW as a 50, but the European TM website shows it as the 51 we've seen stamped. Maybe it is just incorrect on the US website.

Excellent thoughts Mardin....Glad these are working for you so far!

Whew...I didn't have a chance to report about my last round on Sunday with the CB's. First of all these irons especially the scoring irons have changed the way I managed the course and attack the greens. My 7-PW have allowed me to attack greens like never before. My approach shots Sunday were the only thing saving me strokes. The DGXP shafts that I have in my CB's help deliver a nice trajectory that helps the ball get up in a hurry and land softly on the greens. These clubs are forgiving as most have noted but they will leave you short if hit thin or slightly fat. I have a habit of hitting some shots thin and yesterday it cost me at least one stroke. I had an approach shot of about 155-160 and I hit my 8iron slightly thin. The ball got the same great trajectory and fell from the sky just as any good shot would but this time it was 5 yards short of the green. These irons have been giving me great feedback on well struck and off center hits. On most off center hits I'm not losing any accuracy only distance (about 5-8 yards on really bad shots). That's not a problem with me because it helps me focus on hitting the ball correctly and getting that "click" off the club face.

I've raved before about the 4i in the set and I will do it again. This club is amazing, I never thought I'd be able to hit a 4i ever again nor would want to after I got my 4h hybrid, but on Sunday I found myself pulling my 4i to hit shots I normally would with my hybrid. I find that these clubs deliver the accuracy and ball flight that I've been looking for for the past few years. Cheers TaylorMade!

My only gripe about the ball flight with the DGXP's is that the ball gets up in the air so fast its hard to hit these clubs out of any lie with a tree or overhanging branch, needless to say it's hard to keep the ball down.

Anyone else notice odd markings on their CB's. Etched into the hosels I have what looks like "16", "B6" and "C6" on various clubs through the set.

I just got my new gems home last night, here's a vid and a couple pics:
IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Congrats!!!

Great pics Icey....congrats on the new sticks!

The Sticker!!!!!!! Without that thing, the fairies in these clubs that make them awesome would not be able to do their job.

First post on here after reading this entire thread.

I recently went to Golftec to get fitted for new clubs and compare my current set of Callaway X-16's against some others. I ended up testing against the TM Tour Preferred CB's, TM Burner 2.0's and Mizuno's JPX-800s.

Long story short, I look forward to reporting back any progress I make in lowering my scores when moving to CB's. The readout from my golftec session recommended this set. I took the readout to be fairly accurate as my old set of X16s actually performed 2nd best overall (note: by performance, I mean out of a variety of metrics. The burner's went 10 yards further than any other club, but my spin was drastically reduced. The TM Tour Preferred CB's at 29 loft and standard True Temper Dynamic GoldR300 shaft were the most consistent in distance, launch angle, backspin, deviation, and shot efficiency (for me). I also averaged a higher club and ball speed with this club for some reason.

They ship on the 15th and I'm looking forward to getting out there with them. Since we found a bunch of gaps in my wedges, I ended up ordering the Cleveland CG-15 black satin 50, 54 and 58 degree. They don’t offer a 50-degree wedge in lefty so I am having them take a 48-degree wedge and add 2-degrees loft to it.

Since I'm a lefty, I must tell you that I don't get the luxury of hitting my buddies' sticks. Finding golftec was a treat and I wanted to share my experience. In all, it told me my old set was actually a good fit for me (my best friend's dad is a golf pro/instructor and eye balled me into the set), but that it was time to upgrade.

This Sunday I go back to Golftec to test out some woods. I know I'll be hitting my FT-3 against Taylor Made R11, Callaway RAZR Hawk and Callaway Diablo Octane drivers.

Glad to hear that the CB's are working out for the vast majority of everyone on this thread!

Ross

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Thats an awesome box to get buddy!! Congrats

First post on here after reading this entire thread.

I recently went to Golftec to get fitted for new clubs and compare my current set of Callaway X-16's against some others. I ended up testing against the TM Tour Preferred CB's, TM Burner 2.0's and Mizuno's JPX-800s.

Long story short, I look forward to reporting back any progress I make in lowering my scores when moving to CB's. The readout from my golftec session recommended this set. I took the readout to be fairly accurate as my old set of X16s actually performed 2nd best overall (note: by performance, I mean out of a variety of metrics. The burner's went 10 yards further than any other club, but my spin was drastically reduced. The TM Tour Preferred CB's at 29 loft and standard True Temper Dynamic GoldR300 shaft were the most consistent in distance, launch angle, backspin, deviation, and shot efficiency (for me). I also averaged a higher club and ball speed with this club for some reason.

They ship on the 15th and I'm looking forward to getting out there with them. Since we found a bunch of gaps in my wedges, I ended up ordering the Cleveland CG-15 black satin 50, 54 and 58 degree. They don’t offer a 50-degree wedge in lefty so I am having them take a 48-degree wedge and add 2-degrees loft to it.

Since I'm a lefty, I must tell you that I don't get the luxury of hitting my buddies' sticks. Finding golftec was a treat and I wanted to share my experience. In all, it told me my old set was actually a good fit for me (my best friend's dad is a golf pro/instructor and eye balled me into the set), but that it was time to upgrade.

This Sunday I go back to Golftec to test out some woods. I know I'll be hitting my FT-3 against Taylor Made R11, Callaway RAZR Hawk and Callaway Diablo Octane drivers.

Glad to hear that the CB's are working out for the vast majority of everyone on this thread!

Ross

This is excellent. I am glad we could help and you will have to let us know how you hit em once you get em

Well I took my new CBs with their KBS Tour shafts out for an extended practice session last night, and after my first shot with teh 7 iron, my jaw hit the ground and I was in love. These things are amazing. First and foremost I could tell they were 2 degrees upright and it really helped straighten out my shots. I loved the feel, I could really feel the shots good or bad. And the weight and balance of the whole set is amazing, it just feels so smooth while swinging. I'm hoping to get them out for a full round this weekend, but if this practice session is any indicator of what's to come, my golf game can only get better!!!

took my CB's to the range yesterday to get an idea of how they compare to another set of irons. man, it is like night and day.

took my CB's to the range yesterday to get an idea of how they compare to another set of irons. man, it is like night and day.

In a good way?

I've been just cruising with these clubs over my last couple of rounds. My 8-PW allows me to stick just about every shot, and I've dialed in all of the distances and I've actually gained 1 full club compared to my old set of irons. I've developed a bit of a fade with my 4iron which can be easily compensated for. THe only thing that I've been doing latley is hitting shots thin which with these clubs leaves your distance easily 10-20 yards short. That is totally user error though. Since getting these clubs my handicap has dropped two points. I couldn't be happier.

Super skim here but....

Anyone compare these to the 2.0's? I was looking at them last night at Golf Galaxy and they looked very similar. Curious about forgiveness and distances.

In a good way?

I've been just cruising with these clubs over my last couple of rounds. My 8-PW allows me to stick just about every shot, and I've dialed in all of the distances and I've actually gained 1 full club compared to my old set of irons. I've developed a bit of a fade with my 4iron which can be easily compensated for. THe only thing that I've been doing latley is hitting shots thin which with these clubs leaves your distance easily 10-20 yards short. That is totally user error though. Since getting these clubs my handicap has dropped two points. I couldn't be happier.

as far as forgiveness goes, the other set won out. It was quite surprising how I have a set that has the name TOUR attached and that they were more forgiving.

Super skim here but....

Anyone compare these to the 2.0's? I was looking at them last night at Golf Galaxy and they looked very similar. Curious about forgiveness and distances.

When I got fit for the CB's I compared them to the 2.0's. 2.0's are more forgiving and much longer but have more of a point and shoot quality to them. The CB's have better feel and touch to them. They have allowed me to get creative with shots. They are less forgiving and teach you when you miss hit shots.

When I got fit for the CB's I compared them to the 2.0's. 2.0's are more forgiving and much longer but have more of a point and shoot quality to them. The CB's have better feel and touch to them. They have allowed me to get creative with shots. They are less forgiving and teach you when you miss hit shots.

I was blown away by the looks of the CB's. They just begged to be hit.

I agree here. Thats one thing I do like about them. You get instant feedback

Super skim here but....

I haven't hit both on the course, but I did hit them both in an outdoor fitting. I agree with the other guys though, 6 iron to 6 iron, I hit the Burner 2.0 10-15 yards further with similar dispersion areas. I like the traditional look of the CB better, but performance wise, the Burner was much better for my game. The fitter was telling me that since both sets target about the same golfer handicap-wise, that he was not selling many CBs at all, but was selling a lot of Burners.

There are probably workibility advantages to the CB's, but I'd be thrilled to hit 100% of my shots straight.

Loving the thread, I currently play Burner 09 irons but an looking to change to the CB's anybody made the same switch?
I know the feel will be much better but how's the difference in length, off center hits etc?

Loving the thread, I currently play Burner 09 irons but an looking to change to the CB's anybody made the same switch?
I know the feel will be much better but how's the difference in length, off center hits etc?

This thread has some really good reviews comparing the burners and 2.0's to the CB's. Take a few days and read through the thread at your leisure. The CB's are less forgiving than the 1.0 and 2.0's.

Got my set of CB's and took them to the range last night. I would be happy to share details, but the short version is that I am quite satisfied with the switch.

Woof!

Good stuff Icey, keep us posted on how you like the new sticks!

Well I took my new CBs with their KBS Tour shafts out for an extended practice session last night, and after my first shot with teh 7 iron, my jaw hit the ground and I was in love. These things are amazing. First and foremost I could tell they were 2 degrees upright and it really helped straighten out my shots. I loved the feel, I could really feel the shots good or bad. And the weight and balance of the whole set is amazing, it just feels so smooth while swinging. I'm hoping to get them out for a full round this weekend, but if this practice session is any indicator of what's to come, my golf game can only get better!!!

Got my set of CB's and took them to the range last night. I would be happy to share details, but the short version is that I am quite satisfied with the switch.

Woof!

Congrats Ross. Let us know how your first round goes with them. It took me about 2 rounds to get into the "swing" of things with the CB's, but now they are helping me to slowly lower my scores.

im on page 71 of reading the thread, hoping to get done by tomorrow. It has been one of the better reviews I have read!

Back