TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

These are sweet looking. Congrats JRod and I can't wait to hear your thoughts

Here is a Nike VR TW 5i (left) next to the TP 5i. The topline is almost identical , though a bit deceiving in this picture due to the angles.

DSCN1232.jpg

You can glue those together and my G15's will still be bigger

Sessy sticks JRod. That topline looks like it demands a lot of focus!

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

Those are siick!!! How come they came with multi-compounds already? Are they to be sent back after testing?

Those are siick!!! How come they came with multi-compounds already? Are they to be sent back after testing?

Testers get to choose their specs and that includes grips. Testers get to keep the clubs as long as they plan on using them for the entire year.

Ok I just wanted to post some initial thoughts. Before any of the hoopla I would like to take a moment to thank both Taylormade and THP. I have never been fortunate enough to be involved in something like this and I would just like to thank both respective companies for this amazing opportunity. I only hope i can fulfill the responsibilities that come with being selected for something like this. On to the info...

Upon opening the box I immediately recognized the compact shape of the head and was delighted to see the MB's. I love a blade iron. The look of these are simply amazing. The back of the club exposes the tech involved in the clubhead but remains simple like most blade irons. Would you confuse these for a set of Wilson Fg59's or Titleist MB 710's? Absolutely not, but I am of the thinking that while simple is good, technology is better. They pulled the combination off perfectly. My #1 concern with these going in was the weight port in the back, and by reading many of the prerelease reviews I was not alone in my concerns. Let me put the worries to rest, the weight port and screw are both anodized gunmetal in finish, and look beautiful in collaboration with the rest of the finish. At address you can see nothing on the back of the club so there is also no distraction.

I have only had a chance to swing the club outside in the air but the balance feels amazing. The sole of the club just looks like it will glide through the turf...its the perfect amount of muscleback with the perfect amount of sole. Pictures cannot do it justice.

That is all for now....I will be going to the range one way or another this weekend even if I have to drive to the range 1.5 hours away, so I will have much more feedback then.

I would like to take one more moment and thank both THP and Taylormade. They fit my clubs to my exact specs and even fit them with the requested GP multi compounds, logo down, because I am OCD like that. I realize there was a slight delay with all of this but I personally find it refreshing. TM obviously wanted to wait until they had the product right and to their tolerances, unlike many products i have seen where they are shipped on time, even though wrong, just to fufill a delivery date.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask away! I will be gone for about 30 min, I gotta run to Dicks and buy some new club gloves!

great top line comparison picture. It almost looks like there is a tad more offset and a little thicker top line on the TM, but that could be the angle. Can't wait to hear what you think of them once you get out there and take some swings.

OK wow. WOW. Dang those babies look nice! I have gone from thinking I'm getting the MBs to HOPING I get the MBs now.

Great start Jrod, looking forward to hearing what you think of them after hitting them. It's like the holidays around here!

Testers get to choose their specs and that includes grips. Testers get to keep the clubs as long as they plan on using them for the entire year.

Wow that is awesome! Huge props to THP and Taylormade

JRod.
Those are just wonderful pictures. Glad you got a set that you can really appreciate!
Gotta let us "non-serious" golfers know what the experience is like... I have never attempted to play something that beautiful!

Also- well said about taylormade. I hope when I make my post that it is 1/2 as eloquent as yours.

JRod.
Those are just wonderful pictures. Glad you got a set that you can really appreciate!
Gotta let us "non-serious" golfers know what the experience is like... I have never attempted to play something that beautiful!

Also- well said about taylormade. I hope when I make my post that it is 1/2 as eloquent as yours.

Thanks alot for the kind words Gus, fortunately iron play is the strength of my game. Can't wait to see what you get, and I really excited to hear your thoughts. No doubt you will do a magnificent job with the review.

Great write up and pics JRod!! Those look great!!

My wife is looking at me weird while I sit here and stare at them.

Those are some slick irons! Can't wait to here your feedback!

Hawk and I are taking a road trip this weekend for some sim golf and range time...I'll bring the video camera!

Nice pics Jrod. All 3 sets are great looking irons.... these are the cleanest looking of the bunch. Look forward to how you hit em!

These look very very nice! Be interested to read the thoughts on them.

Thanks for the photos. They look great. How would you say they compare to the R9 TP besides the obvious full muscle difference? They seem pretty similar from the top in shape and size in the photo?

I love the way these look, I will hit them when released but I know that I clearly dont have the game to game these, I wish that I did...

Thanks for the photos. They look great. How would you say they compare to the R9 TP besides the obvious full muscle difference? They seem pretty similar from the top in shape and size in the photo?

Really a tough question to answer. I've hit the r9 tps briefly but haven't had immense experience with them. The topline is a typical blade iron, paper thin. The sole is also very thin on these.

I will have some better feedback for you Saturday after I head out to the range . Then I can give you some honest feedback as far as flight,feel , etc.

Warning, the following images will bring about an excitement level you that you may not be healthy enough for. Please contact a physician to see if your heart is healthy enough for this activity.

The famous warning!
TMForgedIrons057.jpg

A little bit of confidence in their product, I'm a fan!
TMForgedIrons060.jpg

The grips, Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound, thank you TaylorMade!
TMForgedIrons058.jpg

And without further adue....the stars of our show
TMForgedIrons062.jpg

TMForgedIrons063.jpg

TMForgedIrons066.jpg

TMForgedIrons064.jpg

Burner 2.0 and Tour Preferred MB 5 irons side by side
TMForgedIrons070.jpg

TMForgedIrons071.jpg

9 irons compared
TMForgedIrons074.jpg

TMForgedIrons067.jpg

I think they like it in there...
TMForgedIrons078.jpg

I'll be getting these babies to the driving range tomorrow and will come back and update with my thoughts. Thank you SO MUCH TaylorMade and THP, what a great opportunity!

I'll take those 2.0's off of your hands P4B :D

Oh, and JRof, you're not OCD, you just know what you want.

Awesome pics man can't wait to hear your thoughts!!

Back