TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

For anyone who hasn't seen these in person yet...these things look great in photos, but you don't get the full effect until you see them in person. So shiny and beautiful, I must say that these are the nicest looking irons I have ever seen, and I thought that before I even considered buying them when I first saw them sitting in a bag at a demo day. The fact that they perform even better than they look is the icing on the cake!

I'm looking at these irons for some time now. I'm playing TP MB smoke ones and love them, but these new ones are intriguing me. Yesterday I got a chance to spend some quality time in golfsmith with them comparing to the CB ones.
Interesting enough out of five shots that I made with both clubs the MB had narrower dispersion and more consistent yardage. Pretty much all of the shots with 6i went the same spot 185 out. The circle of dispersion with those was three times smaller than with CB. And I should say that they seem to be really a bit more forgiving than my current blades.
Very intriguing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ordered my MBs today. (with some extras)

5 iron to PW - KBS90 stiff - GP multi compound red - 1* up
52* & 58* TP wedges - KBS wedge flex - GP multi compound red - 1* up
Rescue R11 #4 - stiff
R11 driver 9* stock Blur stiff
2-ball long putter 48"

Looking at 3 weeks for delivery.... :(

I see that you have ordered some customization - where did you order it from and how? I tried to contact TM directly and their shop rep said that they only carry stock... should I go through the retailer for custom order?

Excellent stuff IN, love me some MB! I am going to take some snaps to show what a few months looks like with these. They hold up pretty good. That's a grey thing for these beauties!!! If you think they look great wait till you see shots with em. I did not have the greatest short iron day yesterday, but good shots made me forget bad ones. Oh the 'buttery' feeling.

BTW I,m currently having project x 6.0 flighted shafts on my set. But i'm thinking about KBS because most of the reviewers are saying that these shqfts are providing more feel and are more smooth. Any recommendations?

I really likethe kbs tour. For me they are smooth a silk. They have a somewhat more damping feel than the dg did for me. The thing I am hooked on is ball flight. They go high enough to clear trees and have great arc that penetrates and drops. I have yet to really spin any balls back on greens. However, with any ball I played, I can stick it on greens with little roll out. I know it's shaft head combo, but thought I woul throw that in. Just awesome irons and I would and probably will rave some more. Oh btw, I did have thoughts if c-taps. I would be perhaps spending money senselessly as these do what I want.

As for pjx, great shafts too. I can only emplore you to hit both to see what exactly gives u want u want. I went with kbs because they gave me the nice flight that was a bit lower

I've only played the DG as the ball flight in both the PX and KBS were WAY too high. I've always played DG shafts and love em. I'm currently looking for a set of Monaco's to try out in these bad boys.

I am curious to try these irons. They have a very soft sound to them when I hear people hit them on the range. Personally I think they look great as well.

I am curious to try these irons. They have a very soft sound to them when I hear people hit them on the range. Personally I think they look great as well.

Give em a shot, they are great. They sound simply amazing when struck well.

yea I plan on it. I want to compare them to the 712 MB irons. Hard decision there.

yea I plan on it. I want to compare them to the 712 MB irons. Hard decision there.

Wasn't for me. That isn't a load of BS either because I am testing these. There really was no comparison to me.

Wasn't for me. That isn't a load of BS either because I am testing these. There really was no comparison to me.

Yea the amount of wins the Taylormade MB's have is pretty hefty too. Can't really go wrong with them. Have you hit the 712 MB's?

Yea the amount of wins the Taylormade MB's have is pretty hefty too. Can't really go wrong with them. Have you hit the 712 MB's?

Yes, they are a beautiful club. But the performance was far lacking for me. They were about 3/4th of a club shorter and the dispersion wasn't near as good. I also didn't care for the way they felt. They seemed very clicky to me.

Youre testing the 712s?! Sweet!

Yes, they are a beautiful club. But the performance was far lacking for me. They were about 3/4th of a club shorter and the dispersion wasn't near as good. I also didn't care for the way they felt. They seemed very clicky to me.

Interesting, I look forward to comparing them. I have hit the 710 CB's and those were great as well as the Taylormade MC irons which were also top notch.

Mark, Jrod

Thanks for the input on the shafts. I'll try to find an ability to try out the same MB head with KBS tour and PJX and will report my impressions promptly :)

Guga, any place with a select fit from TMAG should have both for you to try. All three are great iron shafts. It really comes down to what YOU are looking for. I can tell you that these clubs are A1 awesome. These reviews here are spot on for the most part. There will be a little variability to be expected with each player. I think the weight port is a great thing and reallys sets the tone for a nice swing weight that feels really even on the club face. It weird that I noticed that (in my opinion) when comparing them to the VR combo and blades (really nice too). TMAG did an excellent job with all the TP line.

Got a tee time scheduled for this afternoon, taking my new toys out for their first round. Can't wait to see how they perform on the course!

Yesterday had some time with TP MB and MC demo in combination with kbs tour shaft. Preparing a review...

Yesterday had some time with TP MB and MC demo in combination with kbs tour shaft. Preparing a review...

Sweet guga, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on how it went for you.

I see that you have ordered some customization - where did you order it from and how? I tried to contact TM directly and their shop rep said that they only carry stock... should I go through the retailer for custom order?

I just placed my order through my local bricks'n'mortar retailler, after a couple of fitting sessions.
Still have another week & a half to wait... :(

Back