TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

I wanted to post some updated thoughts on these after having them for about a month now. This year has been a really odd year for me, before this year I was consistently shooting around my handicap (whatever it was as I improved). I began this year as a 9.5 handicap, and am currently about 8.9. For whatever reason I just was unable to lower my handicap much this year, because I was VERY inconsistent. I started the year shooting about my handicap and was keeping it consistently at 80-82, and even had a round pretty early in the 70's which I had only done once in my life before. Anyhow, after about a month I developed the sh*nks in case anyone remembers me mentioning that in a different forum. It lasted for about 2 weeks, then once I fixed that I went back to hitting great for 2 weeks, then I started pushing the ball about 20 yards right on every shot for about 2 weeks, then I would hit great for about 2 weeks, etc...so pretty much I was on two week cycles every time, but my miss was always a push. Overall my ball striking was good, I would hit the center of the face most often, but I just couldn't figure out the push. When I got these irons about a month ago I was having a good streak, I had been shooting well for a couple weeks, I shot in the 70's twice within those weeks. In my first few rounds with these irons I was hitting them near flawlessly, however my driver started struggling with a slice which I hadn't seen FOREVER (I think this is due to using the PureShot driver as a training aid). Even though I wasn't driving well I was still shooting pretty well because I was hitting the irons so well and putting myself in good positions on the greens. Then about 2 weeks ago it happened....the push started coming back throughout the whole bag, with the driver still slicing. I had a friend of mine here look at my swing and he just said I wasn't keeping my hands in front of the club through impact, so I had no lag. For whatever reason it was causing a push, and my ball striking started struggling a little bit. Let me tell you something about these clubs when you are not having a good ball striking round....they are not very fun. I really wish I could have had a lot more forgiveness during my rounds in Florida last week, because I wasn't catching the ball pure and I was pushing quite a few. When you don't hit these solid you have no idea how far they are going to go. I was hitting some a couple grooves too high and I was loosing a good amount of distance, which is not good on a course where there is a lot of water, and then I was hitting some thin that just sailed over the green and rolled to places I never want to be in again. I finally got the tip I needed to get my swing on track, and I am now striking the ball better than I ever have in my life. Its amazing how one little thing can make such a big difference in your swing. My last couple of rounds have been nothing but beauty with the irons. My hands are now staying ahead of the clubhead through impact which has lowered the ball flight slightly, but I would still call it a mid-high flight and I am still getting the same distance. This has worked great for me my last couple of rounds here in Indiana because it has been pretty breezy so I haven't really wanted to hit it too high. I am getting great spin with all my irons, and my short irons are even backing up about 5 feet on quite a few shots because of the spin I am putting on them. I am still amazed by the feel and sound of these at impact when I am striking them well. Again, the feel and sound are not good at all when you don't hit them well. I was hoping to show some fellow THPers how great these clubs are when I was in Florida but that didn't happen, I guess I will have to make sure I make it to the demo day or MC 2.0 to show them what these things can do. I have never felt anything as good as these irons and I am starting to get sad that the season is almost over. I have an indoor golf dome nearby where you can hit balls but it is only about 100 yards long, and I also have a heated range nearby but its so cold in the winter time its hard to tell what the ball flight is really going to be like, but I am definitely going to be taking these out to hit them through the winter and keep this new swing fresh. I also have a simulator I can use at the gym I do personal training at. I will continue to post thoughts on these as I work with them but after having a couple of rough weeks striking the ball I would have to say that while I am surprised at how much better I hit these than my previous split cavities and even other blade sets, these are definitely not the set for everyone if you are not confident with your ball striking. There is not much here for forgiveness. I would not trade this set for anything in the world right now, and as long as I keep this new swing fresh these clubs are going to take me down to a pretty low handicap next year. I definitely recommend trying these if you are a good ball striker, you will have a hard time finding anything to match the look, feel, and performance of the Taylormade Tour Preferred MB irons.

I totally agree with you INGolfer. When your day is off its brutal. Luckily I don't get them to often anymore (knock on wood). My driver gets me every once in a while but still manageable since I'm more consistent with the MB's. Now my putter always fails me. If I could putt better i'd be a decent golfer. :banghead:

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

I agree about off days. Yet, I had very few in this last season with these irons. They just frame the ball so well. There is a touch of forgiveness, not much though. The feel you get in hitting a nice shot really conditions you to hit these well. I am going to put some. Ctappers in though. My ball flight seemed just a bit to high for my liking last few rounds. The tappers are really nice too!

Thanks for the post IG, you said a lot there when you say that when the ball striking is good these irons are great but when it's not so good it can be tough. A good strong iron player is going to absolutely love these irons. I find that I just can't afford to give up that forgiveness because usually 2 or 3 times a round I really need it. I know that if I can get my swing grooved where I'd like it (endless pursuit I think) I'd love to game these full time.

Keep the posts coming and good luck with that new swing!

I have been a good ball striker for a couple of years, my miss is just a push, so I strike the ball on the sweet spot but it just goes right! Over the last couple of weeks I have not struck the ball as well overall, so that is where I really saw how "on" you have to be to hit these well. My last couple of rounds have been some of the best golf I have played all year though, so I'm glad it didn't last long. Anyhow, when I first really started working on my ball striking a couple years ago I was playing with the Nike VR Full Cavity irons. I wanted to challenge myself to focus on ball striking even more so I switched to the Nike VR Split Cavity and loved them. Even with those there is not as much forgiveness as some other cavity back players irons, but I was hitting them well. While I am confident in my ball striking, I never thought in a million years I would play muscleback irons any time soon. However, there was just something about these when I hit them at a demo day earlier this year that instantly made me fall in love with them. I think it is just the combination of the sound and feel I get when I hit them, I hadn't hit anything else like it. I still hadn't convinced myself at the time that I could game a set of them, especially in the longer irons. I thought I would have to go for a combo set with some MCs. However, when I finally decided it was time to pull the trigger and get some new irons I got a great deal on these so I decided just to go with a full set of them and figured if I couldn't hit the long irons I would have to switch them out eventually for some MCs. For anyone following this thread you may remember me freaking out a little between the time I ordered them and when I got them because I was scared I just spent that money and I wouldn't be able to hit the long irons in the set. The clubs I had hit at the demo day earlier in the year were the short irons. But at the same time I remembered how my ball striking seemed to improve after I switched from full cavity irons to a split cavity, so I was still hopeful that these might help me concentrate a little bit more on my ball striking. Anyhow, I got the set and took them right out to the course the first day without even going to the range first, and I hit the long irons WAY better than I had ever hit them. The balance of this club is just amazing, and it just seems so easy to hit these even compared to my old Split Cavities. Again, on a normal day I won't have trouble at all keeping it on the sweet spot, but a few rounds over the last couple of weeks showed me what can happen on the days where the ball striking isn't the greatest. So even if your ball striking isn't the greatest, I definitely recommend trying out some mid-cavity irons and even some musclebacks sometime. For me it helps me focus more on striking the ball well rather than trying to bomb it down the fairway like I used to. Putting a good strike on the ball will send it just as far as a hard swing that is just off-center.

Putting a good strike on the ball will send it just as far as a hard swing that is just off-center. If not farther.

FIFY. This is IMO the truest statement that can be made about making contact with the golf ball!

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

Plus in the right direction. LOL

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

OK, I had to get on here and post another update on these because I have gone through a recent swing change. As I talk about how the ball is performing now I will refer back to some points I have made before about how it performed on certain shots. I am still using the same ball, the Taylormade Penta, and my rounds since making the swing adjustments have still been in mild weather, we have still had some nice days here up north even though it is November. Anyhow, the first thing I noticed about the ball flight now is that it is not quite as high. My short irons still seem to get in the air very nicely, but as I get to the longer irons I am having more of just a medium flight rather than medium high. I can't say that this is a bad thing, because I am still getting the same distance out of them that I was having before, but the wind is not messing with it is as much as it did before. Thats a good thing because as fall comes around here we tend to have quite a few windy days. My last round out was quite windy, winds about 15 to 20 mph, and still had no problem hitting the ball where I wanted to. The change in flight isn't dramatic, but it is enough to notice and I kinda like it because I feel that is what is leading to my next point, which is increased spin. Now I know the swing is what is creating the spin because I am catching the ball first more often, but I just wanted to make sure that I pointed out that these irons can put some serious spin on the ball. My first round out after I made the swing adjustments I hit a driver to the middle of the fairway, then had an 8-iron to the pin. I struck it nicely, and I saw the ball go straight toward the pin. It hit about 2 inches left of the hole, and then spun back about 10 feet. I couldn't believe it. I have even had some long irons check up and spin back a few feet. Long or short iron...it is still possible to put some good spin on the ball. The other thing I have been working on a little bit is shaping my shots. With my new swing adjustments I have developed enough confidence to work on shaping it a little bit, and so far I have been successful working it left and right. I had not really tried to work the ball much before because I just liked to hit it straight, and that seemed to work well for me. I was never too concerned with shaping my shots. However, after playing in Florida at Westchase, I realized that there are some courses where being able to shape your shots is going to come in VERY handy! I wasn't hitting the ball well that day, that was before I made these adjustments to my swing, but I just mean the course in general was created with some tricky angles to the greens. Because I have started playing in bigger amateur tournaments such as the Nature Valley tournaments, I am going to be playing on some tougher courses so shot shaping is going to become important. I am really surprised at how well I am able to hit these irons, and especially to learn with them on how to shape shots. Usually people don't use blades for learning, they use mid-cavities or GI irons to learn the basics and then they work their way up to blades eventually. For me I have started learning the shot-shaping with these and I am surprised at how well it is coming along.

So there are just a couple of minor adjustments to performance with these. I know JRod talks about how high he hits it with these, and I was before as well and I was happy with how I was hitting it with the exception of a couple of weeks where I wasn't hitting anything very well...so it just comes down to the swing. But these clubs aren't going to have a high ball fligh for everyone, which is what I am learning now. I know with my Nike VR Split Cavity irons I had a mid-high flight, but I had a hard time keeping the long irons low if I tried to hit a lower penetrating shot. The weight of the club just assisted it a little too much with getting it in the air. The weight of this club does not do that, I feel comfortable that the club will get a nice medium flight on a full swing and if I want to hit a low, high-spinning shot with a short iron to the green I don't have to worry at all about the ball getting too high in the air.

Thanks for the update, IN. It sounds like you are happy with the MB's and I'm glad for you! Watching Jrod come back to these irons was really night and day. It's just annoying how well he hits them at times.

I am looking into getting the TaylorMade TP MC or the TaylorMade TP MB, which one would you recommend for a 12 handicapper?

I am looking into getting the TaylorMade TP MC or the TaylorMade TP MB, which one would you recommend for a 12 handicapper?

If you're set on the TaylorMade TP line I would recommend trying the CBs as well. While you're at it go ahead and try the R11 irons too. But to specifically answer your question I would recommend trying them both but I'm guessing the MCs would be a little more geared toward a 12 capper. The MBs are great but man are those mishits really penalized.

Definitely with P4B on this one...try the MC as well as the R11s. It might not hurt to at least try the MBs if you are very confident in your ball striking, but the MC and the R11 irons are probably more right up your alley.

I think it speaks volumes that Dustin Johnson is switching from the MBs to the MCs. I play the MCs and they are fantastic irons.

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB HERE GOES!!!

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB HERE GOES!!!

I have been reading these threads for a while. I finally decided to make a quantum leap to the TM MB's. I will update, as well, my experience with the clubs. A good chunk of my decision to buy the TM MB's was from reading this board (and testing them out)...so KUDOs to TM for giving a few free sets out so people can post about them. I was also tested at Callaway's Performance Center in Carlsbad about 8 months ago (thinking I was going to get Callaways).

About me/my game. I am 38 and play 5-6 times per month (all year long). Unfortunately, my best days of golf were when I was 17 (when I could shoot 78-82 fairly consistently). After taking a few years off I started back up again 4 years ago. Now, I typically shoot 82-88. However, the more I play the better my game is getting. And, for the record, my weakest part of my game is putting (I can shoot an 84 with four or five 3 puts...so, I know I can improve). I also have been playing with a 'cheap set of clubs' - because when I started back up I wasn't sure how much I'd play. My current distances are as follows (pre TM MBs).

TM Superfast 2.0 - 270-300 yards (Swing Speed 109-112)
TM R11 5 Wood (no 3 wood)
Nike Ignite Irons
4 Iron -200
5 Iron - 180
6 Iron - 170
7 Iron - 160
8 Iron - 155
9 Iron -142
PW - 130
AW (52) - 115

First off, let me say my swing is not the most efficient since I started back up, I slightly cast the club (I almost have this corrected now on most shots) - this is only noticeable now with my driver. My irons are fairly consistent...and my putting is weak.

My TM MB's come shipped to me on Friday, Feb. 3rd (and I am playing twice this weekend with them). So far, my experience with these clubs has been limited to an indoor range.

These feel AMAZING. They feel weighted correctly and I know a few people have posted about confidence. My first impression when I picked it up was (how am I going to hit this smaller head), but when I addressed the ball...I immediately felt confident. The first ball strike with a 6 Iron went 192 yards (I don't think I've ever hit a 6 iron that far period). Each successive swing with the indoor range computer showed a TIGHTER dispersion than I ever thought I could see. 8 out of my next 10 shots were 181-185 yards each...TIGHT RANGE and the 'spray' was narrower (i.e. when I hit it good everything was within 3-4 yards of my target). My current club has about a 10 yard spray (which, is the difference in me putting, chipping, or being in a sand trap). Needless to say I was ecstatic. My two miss hits were bad miss hits and went about 150 yards (off the toe). Surprisingly, it did not sting, but I did get the desired feedback. MY RPM rate was 5600-6100 (I thought this was pretty good...because my 6 iron is a club I want to land on the green and stop).

Next up was the 8 iron, I gained minimal distance with this club (about 5 yards)...However, the dispersion was much tighter again. I also noticed my spin rate was over 6000.

So far, my 'indoor' experience with these clubs was very good. I LOVE the way it feels when you hit a good shot. And, I don't know what it is about the club, but it feels like I have more confidence with it and it will go straight.

Well, I am playing Saturday at Los Serranos and Sunday in a SuperBowl Scramble at Coyote Hills, so I'll report back then. I am debating if I should play these with a standard lie to start off or should get them bent 1 (or 2) degrees up before hand. Callaway tested me and said 1 degree up. But, I'm not 100% sold that a 1 degree bend can have that much effect. Any comments? My goal is to get to back to consistently shooting 78-82 by summer. My typical iron shot is a bit higher than average (with a lot of spin).

In my bag
Driver: :taylormade: Superfast 2.0 (10.5°)/ Matrix Ozick XCon-4.8 Flex S
Fairway Metals: :taylormade: R11 5 Wood / Blur by Fujikura Flex S
Irons: :taylormade: TP MB 4-PW
Gap Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT C-C Wedge Gap, Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH 50° Extra Stiff/Strong
Sand Wedge: Dunlop Recover Wedge, 64° - Old and needs to be replaced.
Putter: :odyssey: 2Ball SRT White Hot XG - Belly Putter
Ball: Nike One Vapor Speed

One last thing...
My iron game is pretty good...it's the putting that causes my handicap to be higher (yeah, I need to practice more). I bought the MB's because I thought if I am going to hit the ball great (I usually hit good) then why not hit with a club that will spray less and provide 'better' feedback. Hey, if I am going to miss hit a ball with a CB or an MB...either way I'm going to have to chip. The overriding factor for me is with a CB, if I aimed for the pin from 170 yards out I could be literally on either side of the green (a 25' put either way...which hopefully isn't more than a 2 put). What I am really hoping to achieve here is get that diameter from 50' total down to 30' total (15' on either side). I'm hoping that isn't a tall order.

nice purchase Trojan. I really liked the feel of the MB's, they just were too advanced for me. Looking forward to more of your thoughts on them

Nice purchase! Great set of sticks!!! I look forward to your thoughts

Hey from one USC Trojan to another, congrats on the purchase and welcome to THP! I think you will enjoy the irons a ton! The one bit of advice I would give is to go with the upright fitting the guys at Callaway did for you. Check out this video about lie angle and you will be convinced. Also, with the irons being forged you can always bend them back later if you decide you prefer them standard.

WHAT AN AWESOME DAY!

1. USC gets THREE 5 Star Recruits! Only 15 recruits allowed and they have a top 10 recruiting class! Giving them an average of 4.07 Star Ranking. ...The National Championship is coming back to USC!!!

2. My Gap Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT C-C Wedge Gap, Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH 50° Extra Stiff/Strong ...came in a day early! Now, if my Irons: :taylormade: TP MB 4-PW come in a day early I'll be STOKED!

One thing I noticed...Guess I never saw the micro texture between the grooves. Anyone know if the MB irons have the same micro texture? (i.e. Fingerprint lines). It doesn't say on Taylormade's website (so, I assume not). But, then again...Taylormade's website leaves out a lot of information.

In my bag
Gap Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT C-C Wedge Gap, Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH 50° Extra Stiff/Strong

Last edited:
WHAT AN AWESOME DAY!

1. USC gets THREE 5 Star Recruits! Only 15 recruits allowed and they have a top 10 recruiting class! Giving them an average of 4.07 Star Ranking. ...The National Championship is coming back to USC!!!

2. My Gap Wedge: :taylormade: TM TP xFT C-C Wedge Gap, Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH 50° Extra Stiff/Strong ...came in a day early! Now, if my Irons: :taylormade: TP MB 4-PW come in a day early I'll be STOKED!

One thing I noticed...Guess I never saw the micro texture between the grooves. Anyone know if the MB irons have the same micro texture? (i.e. Fingerprint lines). It doesn't say on Taylormade's website (so, I assume not). But, then again...Taylormade's website leaves out a lot of information.

In my bag

Yup! Big day for the guys! Very exciting! To answer your question, the MBs have a traditional groove pattern, no micro grooves like on the xFTs.

My last night until the MBs come in... I'll be range bound by 2 PM!

In my bag
Irons: :taylormade: TP MB 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Steel

TAYLORMADE MBs are in the HOUSE!!!

I had a brief panic attack for 30 seconds...Serial Number was only on the 7 iron. Per TM's website.

• Where can I find the serial number on my TaylorMade clubs? The serial numbers can be found etched into the back of the hosel on drivers, fairways, and rescue clubs. For iron sets, the serial number can be found on the 5-iron (or the 7-iron for newer product), and neither wedges nor putters will have a serial number."

Will hit the range later this afternoon...SWEET!

Hitting the range in a bit at Strawberry Farm Golf Course. Quick question...

I've been reading up on the Mashie...some really love it. I'm looking for a 'new' substitute 3 iron, I have never had a hard time hitting a 3 iron before, but the TP MB 3 iron just wasn't doing it for me (4 iron is 'okay')...then they get better and better as I go down the line. I want to try a hybrid (I had a hybrid 3 iron before, but I broke it). Any suggestions? Probably want to stick with TM (yeah, hate having a bag full of mixed clubs).

Also, should I wait on a Sand Wedge from TM or pick up last year's xFT Sand Wedge (I picked up their Gap Wedge this week).

In my bag
Irons: :taylormade: TP MB 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Steel

I've a mashie but I'm not good enough to play MBs. It's forgiving, with a draw tendency.

If you play blades you're probably looking to work the ball and control trajectory? For me the mashie is long and easy to hit, but other options might be more suited to you?

Nice stick though, I'm a big fan.

Back