TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

Odd I never noticed this on any of my mb's amd I even used the dreaded club covers.

When I used the MCs I never noticed any rust.

Never happened to me when I had em. I wonder if th RBZ rust problem and this is connected? Call TM and they will help ya

I haven't seen rust problems with these irons. It's likely because I clean and wipe my clubs after every shot and dry them at home after wet days.

However, my 64* Vokey does have rust on it. It has an oil can finish while the others are the regular plating, so I can't help but wonder if your issues come from a defective finish.

Well I called TaylorMade and was told they wouldn't do anything because rust isn't a "defect". The guy said, "rust will happen when you don't take care of your clubs." That's an exact quote.

I told him that the clubs aren't even a month old and not a shot goes by that I don't clean and dry them off. I am super OCD when it comes to my clubs being clean.

I'm pretty upset with how TM treated me. Very poor customer service IMO.

Well I called TaylorMade and was told they wouldn't do anything because rust isn't a "defect". The guy said, "rust will happen when you don't take care of your clubs." That's an exact quote.

I told him that the clubs aren't even a month old and not a shot goes by that I don't clean and dry them off. I am super OCD when it comes to my clubs being clean.

Wow that's ridiculous, is there any local retailer or dealer you can go talk to about it? Maybe a dealer with a large account with taylormade could have some pull. It may help you get them replaced. If they replaced a fellow THPers R11 for getting a sky mark, then I bet they should have not problem with this because they're only a month old that's s stupid that they refused to do anything

Call back tomorrow and talk to a different rep. Keep calling until someone provides actualy service to you, they have some there that do.

Wow that's ridiculous, is there any local retailer or dealer you can go talk to about it? Maybe a dealer with a large account with taylormade could have some pull. It may help you get them replaced. If they replaced a fellow THPers R11 for getting a sky mark, then I bet they should have not problem with this because they're only a month old that's s stupid that they refused to do anything

I am going to call Blind9 since that is where I got them and talk to Dennis.

I need to talk to them about some other equipment anyways.

I don't think it's too uncommon for forged clubs to rust as they're made typically of carbon steel rather than stainless. It's nothing that should impact playability.

I don't think it's too uncommon for forged clubs to rust as they're made typically of carbon steel rather than stainless. It's nothing that should impact playability.

I'm not worried about playability really. I just wanted to know if it is common but the guy was such a jerk.

Dennis called his rep and they are replacing the 8 iron for me. The rep said its not common at all and they would take care of it.

Major shout out to blind9 once again!

I am going to call Blind9 since that is where I got them and talk to Dennis.

I need to talk to them about some other equipment anyways.

Oh I bet they'll help you out! Blind9 is pretty awesome

I'm not worried about playability really. I just wanted to know if it is common but the guy was such a jerk.

Dennis called his rep and they are replacing the 8 iron for me. The rep said its not common at all and they would take care of it.

Wow I guess we all know why blind9 is the best haha, so what do you have to do witht ht 8 iron, send it in?

Wow I guess we all know why blind9 is the best haha, so what do you have to do witht ht 8 iron, send it in?

I'm sending a picture to Dennis right now. I'm not sure what all they will do.

If this isn't common then I am sure TaylorMade will want the club to inspect it. Just a guess though.

Update from my round today though. The irons played perfect for me. Unfortunately I ran out of gas from only 3 hours of sleep and the back 9 blew up.

However, on the 18th hole I was 200 out and smoked a 5 iron to about 20 feet for birdie. It was the best iron shot I have ever hit. I've put shots closer before but this shot was so PURE. I love these irons!

Yeah, I've had mixed results with the TM reps. Some of them treat their customers well, but others just don't seem to care. One of the demo days a while back featured an older gentleman who felt is was more important to critique everyone's swing mechanics rather than let them actually hit the clubs. A lot of times it helps to know somebody who knows someone at TM. Then they act as your in between and can start things off right.

Any players can update this thread. I am looking at going to a combo MC/MB after hitting the MB's several times now. Any comments would be awesome.

I had mc 3-5 and 6-pw mb. Wish I hadn't sold em. They were fun clubs. You ought to be able to get em for a good price now. Anything specific you want an opinion on?

I had mc 3-5 and 6-pw mb. Wish I hadn't sold em. They were fun clubs. You ought to be able to get em for a good price now. Anything specific you want an opinion on?
Did that combo flow together well? Did you find the MB's tough to play? I had the MC's before and also should have kept them. I hit the MB's several times indoor and they felt amazing. How did they play for you on the course?

they played well together. I liked having some forgiveness in the long irons. The mb's felt great when hit well. I foudn them tough to play at first (MB), but then dialed them in. While they are not a distance freindly for me (like the R11 or RBZ) they were spot in accurate. I found the transition of moving from low to high irons seemless. great turf interaction and nice feel

I have the MC's and have experienced
None of those problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they played well together. I liked having some forgiveness in the long irons. The mb's felt great when hit well. I foudn them tough to play at first (MB), but then dialed them in. While they are not a distance freindly for me (like the R11 or RBZ) they were spot in accurate. I found the transition of moving from low to high irons seemless. great turf interaction and nice feel
Yea, I like the distance with the RBZ but not the sole interaction for me. I have trouble scoring with the RBZ's. I need a scoring iron for sure.

I'm getting fitted for MB's 5-PW and MC's 3 & 4 irons on Monday 08-13. I love hitting blades and the MB's look rock solid.

JRod, I was surprised to read that you aren't gaming these. They seemed like a great fit for your game.

Last edited:
I have a set that I will be unloading. 3-pw. Will get it in the appropriate thread after work today.

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Taylormade TP MB irons

Taylormade TP MB irons

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a mid handicapper that is currently playing the Burner 2.0s. I am not satisfied with the lack of control I have with theses irons. I have recently put in my bag the TM XFT ZTP 60, and 56 degrees in my bag and wow i love the feel and look of the wedges. I ordered today the MBs PW-8. Does anyone play these irons? I am staying with my Burners for the longer irons for now, but plan on getting the MCs in 7-4. I am a fairly decent ball striker. Most of my additional strokes come from my chipping and putting. So is it wrong for a mid capper to play with MBs?

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a mid handicapper that is currently playing the Burner 2.0s. I am not satisfied with the lack of control I have with theses irons. I have recently put in my bag the TM XFT ZTP 60, and 56 degrees in my bag and wow i love the feel and look of the wedges. I ordered today the MBs PW-8. Does anyone play these irons? I am staying with my Burners for the longer irons for now, but plan on getting the MCs in 7-4. I am a fairly decent ball striker. Most of my additional strokes come from my chipping and putting. So is it wrong for a mid capper to play with MBs?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. If ball striking is a strong suit these will be perfect for you.

Put these back in the bag today, after a couple of weeks using some old Ping i5s.
The MBs are just sooooo much more of a pleasure to hit. Very soft, and very smooth.
I have found that as I am swinging better, I am launching these on a very high trajectory (KBS90), though. Great for control on the greens, but challenging when the breeze gets up.

Back