TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

So i scored a great deal on the bay for a combo set of these. 4-5 MC and 6-PW MB. I never thought I would want to play blades, but after hitting a lot of shots with my buddies titleist 695s I thought I would give it a try. Only have had them in an indoor range a few times, but they seem to fit well so far with my swing so far. Will be very interested in the distance lost coming from 2.0s. I assume at least one club due to the lofts. Anyone else have any experience coming from 2.0s with these? Have these .5 inch long with KBS tours. Low ball flight may have to swap shafts in these to get the ball up a bit.

So i scored a great deal on the bay for a combo set of these. 4-5 MC and 6-PW MB. I never thought I would want to play blades, but after hitting a lot of shots with my buddies titleist 695s I thought I would give it a try. Only have had them in an indoor range a few times, but they seem to fit well so far with my swing so far. Will be very interested in the distance lost coming from 2.0s. I assume at least one club due to the lofts. Anyone else have any experience coming from 2.0s with these? Have these .5 inch long with KBS tours. Low ball flight may have to swap shafts in these to get the ball up a bit.

These are great clubs and I wish you the best of luck with them! You will definitely have distance loss as you stated but that is more a product of juiced lofts than a hot face. Good luck and keep us updated!

I have been playing the MB's for almost 12 months, they're awesome irons. I tried 712's, VR's and Adams MB's and I found the TP's come out on top equally with the VR's. I love the look of the VR Pros in the bag but I got the TP MB's for a steal hence why they won out. After a full fitting I actually found out the 7-PW weren't at the spec'd swing weight. They were barely D2. Even the 3-6 were low D2. Once this was rectified (to D4 all round) the added control, both line and distance, was substantial. I have DG S300s in mine and the flight is very consistent for all clubs.

One thing that comes with forged irons is bag chatter and these do unfortunately get a little bit. I try and keep the covers on between play and ditch them once I get to the course. They're too sexy to be hidden under those things.

i recently purchased a used 6i MB from the bay after hitting my friends nike vr low irons from his combo set,i cant compare his nike blades to the TM MBs but compared to my TM burner 2.0s im getting the same distance all bar a few yards with the PW,9I,8I and 7I so either im not hitting the burners well enough or im hitting his blades pretty flush..i currently play off a 23 and dont understand this mentality of blades for low handicappers stuff,i hit irons pretty well and as shown with my friends blades i can hold my own..i think if you went out and bought blades you would learn to use them as it would be all you have ever known..and golf companies wouldnt be making ridiculous money off you through your SGI and GI club sets as you come down from 25 HC to single figures...i think once i get enough cash ill ditch the 2.0s and get the MBs..

on a side note,would it be possible to get these MBs in stronger lofts,maybe bringing them in line with the 2.0s or close???

i recently purchased a used 6i MB from the bay after hitting my friends nike vr low irons from his combo set,i cant compare his nike blades to the TM MBs but compared to my TM burner 2.0s im getting the same distance all bar a few yards with the PW,9I,8I and 7I so either im not hitting the burners well enough or im hitting his blades pretty flush..i currently play off a 23 and dont understand this mentality of blades for low handicappers stuff,i hit irons pretty well and as shown with my friends blades i can hold my own..i think if you went out and bought blades you would learn to use them as it would be all you have ever known..and golf companies wouldnt be making ridiculous money off you through your SGI and GI club sets as you come down from 25 HC to single figures...i think once i get enough cash ill ditch the 2.0s and get the MBs..

on a side note,would it be possible to get these MBs in stronger lofts,maybe bringing them in line with the 2.0s or close???

You can get them bent to just about anything you want.

Well after contemplating several forged MB blade options, I stumbled across a brand new set of these TaylorMade MB Tour Preferred irons, 6-PW for $250. Without any further thought, I pulled the trigger.

Do any THPers still play these? If so, how are they working for you?

I'm not concerned with the thin blade, lack of offset or any of that. My only concern is with that removable weight right in the center on the back of the irons. Has this been a problem with anyone.

I appreciate any feedback!

Its not really removable.
Guessing the RSi 2's you got from THP were a no go?

Its not really removable.
Guessing the RSi 2's you got from THP were a no go?

Oh I'm still playing the RSi 2's, and will continue to do so for a good long while so I can keep providing reviews.

Eventually, I'm foreseeing a blended set with the 4 and 5 (possibly 6) irons being the RSi2's, and the 7-PW being the MB's. The long irons in the RSi 2 set do feel better to me than the shorter irons, probably because of the Tungsten weighting in the sole, and I really like the fact that the shots hold their line with the RSI 2 irons so well. To me, regardless of feel, this is the most desirable thing to have in long irons. The 6-iron I could really go either way on.

For the scoring irons though, I value the workability and feel of forged blades. With the RSi 2 short irons, they are easy to hit and they do hold their line (almost too well); but the lack of feel just doesn't provide the feedback on scoring shots that I value. I'm really hoping that the 7-PW in the MB's will provide what I'm missing.

I suppose the simplest way to describe the difference between the RSi 2 short irons and my current Callaway X-Forged set is this: when I hit a shot toward the pin from 165-yards and in with the Callaway X-Forged, I know instantly whether it's going to be close or not. With the RSi 2 short irons, it may be headed at the pin, but I'll have to wait to see where it lands to find out if I've hit it close. I'm hoping that the MB's will work and feel even better than my Callaway's on short irons.

You know JB, I think I'm going to excerpt some of what I've just written to include in the RSi 2 Review thread. This is the best I've actually described what I feel with the RSi 2 irons in comparison with my Callaway's!

Back