TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As many of our readers know, TaylorMade and THP sent out 10 sets of irons to active forum members to work on a long term review. As the sets arrive, this will be the thread for those testers to update their thoughts and pictures and answer any questions that everybody might have.

Here is the review thread for the MB Irons

awesome! Can't wait to see which ones arrive on my doorstep!

I have never been so excited in my life, I'll be going 100 the entire way home tonight after work! I really liked the looks of all the 3 sets and can't wait to get some people's thoughts, pics, feedback from these.

These are great looking irons and I hit one of the sets. Really looking forward to seeing the long term reviews on all of these sets.

I have never been so excited in my life, I'll be going 100 the entire way home tonight after work! I really liked the looks of all the 3 sets and can't wait to get some people's thoughts, pics, feedback from these.

I read that the sets started coming in while I was eating lunch in my favorite restaraunt. I grabbed my stuff and ran to the cash register (I could not wait for them to bring the check to my table) and demanded my check. I didn't realize it, but I looked at my speedo and I was doing 82 in a 55. Whoopse!

I can't wait to see who gets the MB's as I really love the look of these blades.

These have definitely been on my radar from the first time I saw them. Can't wait to see the reviews.

These are the irons that Justin Rose is currently playing. (via Twitter)

If I'm a betting man, which I am and I lose all the time. I'd bet that these irons will be coming my way. I'm actually really looking forward to it, while at the PGA Show I compared a Burner 2.0 5 iron side by side with a Tour Preferred MB 5 iron and the difference is staggering!

I'm actually really looking forward to it, while at the PGA Show I compared a Burner 2.0 5 iron side by side with a Tour Preferred MB 5 iron and the difference is staggering!
They really are two different animals.

They really are two different animals.
Yeah without a doubt, normally I wouldn't compare such irons side by side but since I believe I'll be getting the TP MB's I thought I'd have a look at just how different they are. Did you hit these at the PGA Show biggsy? I know you said you hit the MCs but wasn't sure about these. If so what did you think?

If I'm a betting man, which I am and I lose all the time. I'd bet that these irons will be coming my way. I'm actually really looking forward to it, while at the PGA Show I compared a Burner 2.0 5 iron side by side with a Tour Preferred MB 5 iron and the difference is staggering!

Staggering good or staggering bad?

Yeah without a doubt, normally I wouldn't compare such irons side by side but since I believe I'll be getting the TP MB's I thought I'd have a look at just how different they are. Did you hit these at the PGA Show biggsy? I know you said you hit the MCs but wasn't sure about these. If so what did you think?
I could have spent all day hitting at the TM city, but knew there were limited spots on their range and it was backed up because Natalie had just left so I wanted to be considerate to the others. I decided I would hit the R11 and one of the new irons. I looked at all 3 and decided I would hit the MC's as it would be the iron I would normally gravitate towards. Loved the look of all 3. As it was, the tech spent about 15 minutes with me, so I he tuned an R11 and I got several shots off with the irons.

No joke, but the top line might be twice as large with the 2.0's.

Interesting question.
I would be very interested in a side-by-side comparison of these top of the range 'pro' irons vs. those top of the range GI irons given different handicaps.

Interesting question.
I would be very interested in a side-by-side comparison of these top of the range 'pro' irons vs. those top of the range GI irons given different handicaps.

Check out the THP PGA Show Coverage. We have that picture in there.

I could have spent all day hitting at the TM city, but knew there were limited spots on their range and it was backed up because Natalie had just left so I wanted to be considerate to the others. I decided I would hit the R11 and one of the new irons. I looked at all 3 and decided I would hit the MC's as it would be the iron I would normally gravitate towards. Loved the look of all 3. As it was, the tech spent about 15 minutes with me, so I he tuned an R11 and I got several shots off with the irons.

Dang, that's understandable though. I was just hoping to get sense from someone on how they worked. I'm lead to believe that these are supposed to be slightly more forgiving than say other blade irons and I was hoping to see, I'll have to be patient and see for myself. I don't think forgiveness will be on the top of my list of things I notice about these.

Interesting question.
Ask and you shall receive, that is if my gut feeling that these will be coming to me is correct anyway. Quit a contrast in styles for sure!

Check out the THP PGA Show Coverage. We have that picture in there.

Ah yes, I saw that. I mean performance-wise though.

[edit] Thanks P4B!

Dang, that's understandable though. I was just hoping to get sense from someone on how they worked. I'm lead to believe that these are supposed to be slightly more forgiving than say other blade irons and I was hoping to see, I'll have to be patient and see for myself. I don't think forgiveness will be on the top of my list of things I notice about these.

Ask and you shall receive, that is if my gut feeling that these will be coming to me is correct anyway. Quit a contrast in styles for sure!
I can say all I want about looks, but without hitting them, I can't comment. First chance I get, I'll hit them and chime in.

no doubt....I was with P4B when he did that comparison and we were both like 'whoa'

I love these irons, they just look so good, i just hope they feel as good as they look. All 3 of the new ones coming out are good looking.

These beauties arrived today. Gonna get the pics up while I try to compose myself and give some initial thoughts.

unopened.jpg

opened.jpg

grip.jpg

plastic.jpg

back.jpg

clubface.jpg

bottom.jpg

down.jpg

If you have any specific angles you would like please feel free to PM me.

JROD - those are some sweet looking sticks. How does the topline compare to your current blades?

Niiiiice!

JROD - those are some sweet looking sticks. How does the topline compare to your current blades?

I will go grab one right now and snap a shot, these things are just gorgeous. I was worried about the weight port on the back , but it looks amazing. It's a gunmetal anodized finish and looks extremely good, not chincey or busy like I was afraid.

Back