TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Well I went the shop where I purchased the clubs thinking I would be picking them up but much to my disappointment I ended up finding out that the shaft I wanted is on back order and now I won't be getting the clubs for at least another week and a half. Which really sucks because my wife and I are playing a really nice course this Friday for our anniversary and I was hoping to debut the new clubs.

It's funny because I bought a new bag to go with the new clubs. My old Mizuno bag went so nicely with my mizuno irons (bag was free with the iron purchase) but it had some holes in it big enough for balls to fall out of so I figured I'd go new and new, but last night when I swapped all my balls, gloves, sunblock, etc. over to the new bag my old irons looked a bit forlorn all by themselves in what will be my spare bag, and I really felt like I was going to miss an old friend, now after today I am wondering if someone is trying to tell me something about getting new clubs.

The love affair is still going strong with these irons. I had a period where I was really working in my driver that I temporarily lost my iron striking, but that quickly came back. I actually very nearly had my first ace using an 8 iron on a 156 yard uphill par 3 (to the middle, not to the flag). The pin was in the front on a 2 tiered green and I hit on the slope about 15 feet past the flag and it just missed the hole as it rolled past. I could not have missed the cup by more than an inch or two. I really thought I had one when I saw my ball land.

I have definitely been playing the best golf of my life since I got these irons. I am actually contemplating putting the 3 iron back in the bag.

Well, I finally broke down and purchased a new set of TM TP MCs. I have been playing Titleist DCI 704s forever and I play over 100 rounds a year so the grooves are nearly gone. I ordered my set with 5 - PW and the KBS Tour Stiff Shaft. This shaft produces the spin rate I am looking for with a 6 iron, right at 6200 rpm, and a slightly higher club head speed then my Titleist 704s. When I was fit we had them set with a 2 degree upright lie.

I picked them up from Golfsmith today, took about 2 weeks from TM. I took them to the hitting bay and found that the lie was not set correctly and had to bend them about 2 degrees more to get the lie set properly, now they are dead on. I really look forward to hitting them at the range later today at the range and to maybe sneak in 9 holes. After the lie was adjusted hitting them in the bay they felt like butter!

Oh, by the way I am 61 years old, carry a 2.9 HI. I am not a long hitter but very straight. Iron play has always been the strength of my game but I have notice some inconsistency lately with the 704s, maybe they are just wore out.

I have n R11 Driver on order to replace my old Burner.

I think TM has really designed a winner here. I should know later today.

Bob

Congrats on the new sticks! I think you're going to love the feel, sound, turf interaction and consistency of these clubs. Please let us know how it goes after you get them out to the range and the course. And also, welcome to THP!

Hi guys. I just ordered the MCs 5-PW and was wondering what wedges you are all playing off of the 47* PW? I would like to stick with two so if any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks and looking forward to the new irons.

Hi guys. I just ordered the MCs 5-PW and was wondering what wedges you are all playing off of the 47* PW? I would like to stick with two so if any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Congrats on your purchase! Personally, I play 3 wedges at 51, 55, and 60º. I suppose you could do a 52 and 57º?

Why just two? If you are set on two then I would probably suggest a 51* or 52* and a 56* or 57*. But I is mostly preference.

Why just two? If you are set on two then I would probably suggest a 51* or 52* and a 56* or 57*. But I is mostly preference.

Dr. Teeth:

I am easily confused, LOL! More than two would be too much. Thanks for the suggestions.

I just have 54 and 60 and it works great because the MC wedge is so easy to hit partial distances

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I use three wedges apart from my PW being 52, 56 and 60. 56 due to its high bounce is only for bunkers and does not lend it self for fairway hits. As such I only hit the 52 and 60. With these two I can hit most distances pretty well.

Well, I got a really big surprise yesterday and the clubs after the initial delay came in at least a week earlier than I expected. Below are a couple quick pictures of the old bag and a bunch of unboxing pictures of the new clubs and their new home.

The Old Bag

MZ1.jpg

MZ2.jpg

MZ3.jpg

The New Bag

TM1.jpg

TM2.jpg

TM3.jpg

TM4.jpg

TM5.jpg

TM6.jpg

TM7.jpg

TM8.jpg

TM9.jpg

TM10.jpg

So after popping the clubs into the new bag it was time to head to the range for the first real good range session with this clubs. Since I didn't realize the clubs were going to be coming I had already played 18 for the day and was pretty tired when I went to the range. This actually worked to my benefit to solidify in my mind why I went with this type of club. I struck the ball overall pretty poorly and these clubs didn't punish me nearly as badly as my old ones would have. My accuracy was still quite good and distance weren't overly penal.

I did hit enough good shots to get a feel for the performance of the clubs on the well struck shots and at least at the range the distance appeared spot on to my old clubs which isn't surprising considering the lofts are only 1degree stronger but the club is a touch shorter.

Coming from a blade iron I was still impressed with the workability of these clubs. And I completely agree with the other testers that these are shot making clubs, IMHO they offer all the advantages of blades with a hex of a lot more forgiveness.

I got out with my irons this morning and I am increasingly in love with these irons. I just shot my 4th sub 80 round in less than a month, which for me is great! I feel so confident in my iron play. I pretty much expect to put every shot where I am aiming it. The other day I was playing with tomahawk at Pumpkin Ridge and I was playing a slight fade and it was just flying straight, consequently I missed a lot of shots by about a yard. I got that fade back and I was hitting so many more of my shots. For the most part I hit the center on most of my shots, my miss hits are more due to swing path or not getting my club face square. I don't feel like these irons are very punishing at all. They don't like to be hit really fat, but most irons don't perform when hit fat. However, they will cut through the turf extremely well. The only area that I have not improved on with these irons is my distance. I have lost about a half a club distance wise with these. I don't mind the distance loss as my distance control is great and my accuracy has increased dramatically. So to summarize, these are the best irons I have ever played!

Not sure if this has been answered but has anyone else had the weight in the back of the club come loose? What did you do to fix it? Is this a warranty issue?

Not sure if this has been answered but has anyone else had the weight in the back of the club come loose? What did you do to fix it? Is this a warranty issue?

Good question. I have not had it come loose, but I am sure some locktite would fix it.

This post os TapaTalk serious (so dnt blame me fir misspelled wirds).

I have not had that issue. I would contact TM

I haven't had that issue either. I am sure it would be easy enough to tighten yourself or you could send it to TM.

I haven't had that issue either. I am sure it would be easy enough to tighten yourself or you could send it to TM.

What tool would you use to tighten it?

I do not believe the wrench will work. I think it is a different bolt pattern. You could always try. Take it to a pro shop?

I do not believe the wrench will work. I think it is a different bolt pattern. You could always try. Take it to a pro shop?

Doh! I should have tried before I posted. The bolt pattern is the same, but that little peg in the middle doesn't fit in the hole in the middle of the wrench.

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

Thanks! I will try this when I get home...... Just saw the above post so I will take this to the pro shop.

So I played my second round with these clubs this weekend and I am still trying to dial them in. My choice in shafts in these was definitely the wrong one (DG XP R300). The ballflight is really high and I think I am definitely losing distance because of it. My normal 7 iron used to go about 155 and now my 6 iron goes about 150 (basically same lofts). The ball flight is higher than my wedge flight as well. I took them in to do a little tinkering. I am hardstepping them X1 to give the shafts a little more still feeling and hopefully drop down the ball flight some. I am only putting in a 1/4" extension instead of a 1/2". I normall play my irons about 1/2" short anyway. I am hoping that it will lower the swing weight slightly as well. I can really feel the weight of the heads right now. If I can get it down about 1 point, I think they will be perfect.

Good luck let us know how the hard step goes. Hopefully you will get more of the ball flight you are looking for.

Loving the thread, guys! Bit of a mountain of pages but i'm picking out 5-6 pages at a time til i get to the end.

I ordered a set of these (3-PW with DG S300 XL soft stepped x1; 1" longer, std lie) last month in England. Spoke to the place i ordered them from and it's gonna be mid/late July :-( Anyone else with any news on their orders?

Back