TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

I finally got my MC set here last week thanks to a friendly THP'r! I had the clubs reshafted with X100 since my 6 iron swing is 89 mph, and bent up 3 degrees. I am coming over from the TaylorMade MB'S that I had a love/hate relationship with. The issues that I had was that I was just not consistent enough to play these irons. I could hit them well but if I was between clubs or if there was some wind in my face I did not have the confidence to put a little more swing into it. So this brought me to the MC's.

After hitting 3 large buckets last night I was able to get dialed in. My only issue was that I was missing right consistently. Not sure if that is the new shafts or I was just off with the clubs. As of now hit these very well and my distance is back! 9 iron carried 150-155 and was very happy! I will get out this weekend to play my first round with them and report back.

I finally got my MC set here last week thanks to a friendly THP'r! I had the clubs reshafted with X100 since my 6 iron swing is 89 mph, and bent up 3 degrees. I am coming over from the TaylorMade MB'S that I had a love/hate relationship with. The issues that I had was that I was just not consistent enough to play these irons. I could hit them well but if I was between clubs or if there was some wind in my face I did not have the confidence to put a little more swing into it. So this brought me to the MC's.

After hitting 3 large buckets last night I was able to get dialed in. My only issue was that I was missing right consistently. Not sure if that is the new shafts or I was just off with the clubs. As of now hit these very well and my distance is back! 9 iron carried 150-155 and was very happy! I will get out this weekend to play my first round with them and report back.

Gees man, you are mashing your clubs. I have a 6 iron SS of 92 and I use an 8 iron to hit 155. What is your secret haha.

Gees man, you are mashing your clubs. I have a 6 iron SS of 92 and I use an 8 iron to hit 155. What is your secret haha.

Agreed. I swing my 6 iron 83 and that's how far I hit my 8 iron after roll out.

Tap before talk.

HA! Not sure! I confirmed the distance with my range finder as well. Must of eaten my Wheaties in the morning. I think I will get a better distance accuracy when I play a coupe of rounds. I will let you know if the distance keeps up.

Only issue with the clubs is that one of the weights is loose in the back.

HA! Not sure! I confirmed the distance with my range finder as well. Must of eaten my Wheaties in the morning. I think I will get a better distance accuracy when I play a coupe of rounds. I will let you know if the distance keeps up.

Only issue with the clubs is that one of the weights is loose in the back.

I am jealous man. Which iron has the loose weight?

I believe it is the 5 iron. I can move the weight back and forth till it hits the side inside the little pocket. I doubt this will affect the iron at all but it could turn into a mental thing.

long&straight:

Any feedback from Taylormade on the loose weight? Specifically is there a home remedy or does the club have to get sent back?

I re-fell in love with these yesterday. My swing had degraded and needed a little tune up. After an hour with my pro, I was hitting some pretty good shots and the ball was just flying off the face. They felt so crisp and that distinctive crack that I love so much was back. I am so much looking forward to my next round.

long&straight:

Any feedback from Taylormade on the loose weight? Specifically is there a home remedy or does the club have to get sent back?

Just talked to a TaylorMade rep. He said to bring it back where I purchased it and then they will have to send it in to get a new head put on. Well this sucks!!

Just finished a round on a nice local private course that is associated with my golftec. Anyways, while my tee game was a little erratic, my iron play was solid. Still convinced nothing feels or sounds better than the MCs with solid contact. Hit a lot of greens including going minus 2 on the par 3s... the shortest of which was 168 yards. Here's where that 8 iron tee ball ended up :

View attachment 2804

Missed jarring it by 9 inches.

Loving the MCs. That is all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just talked to a TaylorMade rep. He said to bring it back where I purchased it and then they will have to send it in to get a new head put on. Well this sucks!!

Wow, that is strange. I wonder what the problem was. Hopefully it won't take too long. Thanks for the update. I pick my new MCs up tomorrow. I still need a 4 iron. Did anybody here go with a CB for a 4 iron?

Just finished a round on a nice local private course that is associated with my golftec. Anyways, while my tee game was a little erratic, my iron play was solid. Still convinced nothing feels or sounds better than the MCs with solid contact. Hit a lot of greens including going minus 2 on the par 3s... the shortest of which was 168 yards. Here's where that 8 iron tee ball ended up :

View attachment 2804

Awesome stuff! -2 on the par 3's is awesome! I know you are going to get an ace with the MC's soon man.

Awesome stuff! -2 on the par 3's is awesome! I know you are going to get an ace with the MC's soon man.

Thanks Setho... with these irons it actually feels like I have a real chance to jar one every time I step up to the tee on a par 3 these days. I'm just loving the distance control and ball flight with these sticks!

View attachment 2804

NICE SHOT!!! Sounds like these are a winner for you!

Man I am so jealous of all of you and your MCs. I hit them again today at my local store and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately they only take trade-in clubs cuz I asked if I could trade my wife for them and they said no. She will probably poison my dinner tonight.

Man I am so jealous of all of you and your MCs. I hit them again today at my local store and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately they only take trade-in clubs cuz I asked if I could trade my wife for them and they said no. She will probably poison my dinner tonight.

yeah Ive been reading on these a lot lately, might torture myself and go try them out...no chance of spending that kind of coin on some though

Wow, that is strange. I wonder what the problem was. Hopefully it won't take too long. Thanks for the update. I pick my new MCs up tomorrow. I still need a 4 iron. Did anybody here go with a CB for a 4 iron?

I have the 5 and 4 CB and I love the 5, but the 4 I am inconsistent with and decided to replace it with a hybrid.

Dr. Teeth how would you compare the feel/sound of the MC with the CB? I don't know if I would go for a full set of MC or a combo set of CB/MC

Dr. Teeth how would you compare the feel/sound of the MC with the CB? I don't know if I would go for a full set of MC or a combo set of CB/MC

I think both the sound and feel is very similar between the two. If anything the MCs have a bit more solid feel and sound. As far as the combo set goes, I would definitely consider it. I consider myself a good ball striker and a good iron player, and I am very happy to have the CBs in the longer irons. I think the majority of golfers would find an MC 5 iron tough to hit.

That is really good to know Dr. Teeth. I am definitely excited to try some of these irons out at a demo day coming up. It may be Christmas before I can afford a new set when I get my Christmas bonus, but maybe by then the price will be a few bucks cheaper too, but I really love the look of this line.

New PROUD Owner of the MC's

New PROUD Owner of the MC's

Well after finding a demo that had the MC in LH, I can attest that these clubs definitely live up to the hype here on THP. The demo was awesome, the Pro onsite, let me hit them with different shafts and I feel in love with the Nippon 950GH. Although I wasn't fitted I just loved the way everything felt. So I said, what the hell let me go get fitted. I was wasn't really worried about getting fitted for TaylorMade clubs, just wanted to get my lie angle, shaft recommendations, SS and such.

Well once I get there (TopGolf in Alexandria, VA), I see they fit for TaylorMade, first thought crosses my mind, their not going to have the MC in left, probably in the Burner and the CB. Low and behold they had the MC. F'ing sweet, now I am really excited :banana:. The pro is hitting balls, I happen to look at his clubs, he is playing the MC's, this fitting is off to a good start. I go on to tell the guy (Tony Herbert) what shaft I like he sets it up only to appease my taste, hooks up all the gadgets, and I start firing away. After about 50 shots and 5 different shafts, he says it looks like you get the flex and everything you need with the Nippon, something about the Fish-hook graph (out of my realm).

Shafts I hit: TT DG XP 300, KBS, Graphite (for sh*ts & giggles), can't remember the last one.

Avg SS w/6 iron: 95

On to the Lie angle, here is where things kind of worried me. At the demo, the guy looked at my divots and said I would be a +2* lie angle. So I have the number in my head as were talking. Unfortunately us lefties get crapped on they only had the MC in standard, but he has another forged club that he can bend. I believe he said he bent it to +4 just to see. I take a swing, nice high ball flight, marking on the lie tape is a little outside of center towards the toe, no biggie. Decide to hit another one, about the same. He says, let try something I don't really want to put you at a +4, I'm like whatever. He puts the lie tape on the MC (Standard lie) and says take a swing, the it reads -2, so now I'm really f'ing confused :confused2:. Long story short on this, decided to go with -2, since I can always have them re-bent later if it isn't working out.

Bottom line, I am happy that I got the clubs I wanted and can't wait to actually put them in play. I'm actually more impressed that the shaft I liked actually does work out for me in a fitting point of view. We all know it's one thing to want something and another to actually know this is what is best for my game/swing.

Also he sold me the CG16 52* and 56* at his cost, which could of been fluff, but it was cheaper than buying them at retail $119.

Congrats on your purchase Jules! I'm loving these irons and couldn't be happier. Hopefully you have the same experience!

Congrats Jules! That is a great story. Glad you joined the MC family!

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

congrats on the purchase!

So I picked up my clubs last week and went to try them out this weekend. I had the shop hardstep the shafts x1 and change the loft a bit. Since I have a mixed set the differences in lofts were off. I had them bent a couple degrees strong in the lower irons and a degree strong in the higher irons.

First thing I noticed was how good the balance of the clubs felt. I'm not sure if it is because of the slightly stiffer shaft but they felt like a single solid piece. Before, they felt a little disconnected. Kind of like an apple stuck on the end of a chopstick. Now I am hitting them longer (stronger lofts) with a high ball flight. They are much easier to work now too. I was stuck behind a tree and was actually able to cut one around it and fade one into the green. It was actually the first time I tried to curve a ball out on the course. I never practice trying to fade or draw the ball.

When putting this set together, I originally thought I would be able to feel the difference between the 8 (MB) and 7 (MC) just due to the different heads. I really cant tell the difference. The weight feels the same and contact feels the same. I'm not even sure I needed to do a split set. I figure mishits are going to feel bad regardless of what club you are using.

Back