TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

I have a question about the MBs. I guess I am weird, but I don't see the benefits of playing an MB PW or 9 iron over the MC. Any thoughts?

I am with you here. I had a set of the MB's and I just see no benefit to playing them. I guess some people my think they feel a little better but I felt no difference and love my MC PW.

Crap, realized I forgot to post the pic of the 5 iron shot. Here we go.

a6890fbb-6681-5809.jpg

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

crap, realized i forgot to post the pic of the 5 iron shot. Here we go.

a6890fbb-6681-5809.jpg

tapatalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

great shot!!

What happened to RxGus? Anyone heard from him? I think he's testing these irons. Hope everything is alright.

What happened to RxGus? Anyone heard from him? I think he's testing these irons. Hope everything is alright.

He has been busy making preparations to go to Africa and he has been rocking it at work like a mad man. He is doing A-OK.

I have a question about the MBs. I guess I am weird, but I don't see the benefits of playing an MB PW or 9 iron over the MC. Any thoughts?

Not really sure, but I guess they did it to mimic the Nike combos.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

Oh, and they did say they would send me some free Pentas 'to make up for the inconvenience' ...guess I should be thankful :/

That's pretty nice. I wonder if they might offer me something similar, they've messed my order up for the ZTP wedges about 4 times now. First time they had wrong grips, wrong length shafts (by 1") and also the wrong loft on one of the heads, so they (the Tour van people) asked me to come back later when they had fixed them. So, 2 hours later went back (15 mile round trip btw), still had wrong lengths in them! Didn't realise this til next day, took them back to the place where the tour van was the next day (a bit nearer this time) and gave them back, they said they would get them sorted in a week or 2. Five weeks later i get them back with right heads, right shafts but one had normal grip one had mid size! The assistant pro said try them out, see which i prefer and then he would swap the grip for the right one. Went back about a week later to get it changed - they didn't have any of those particular grips in, despite ringing them about 3 hours before to tell them to expect me! Unbelievable. Any cock ups with the MC irons i have ordered and they'll be staying with the pro and getting a refund.

How can they make so many mistakes? It's unreal.
/rant over/

That's pretty nice. I wonder if they might offer me something similar, they've messed my order up for the ZTP wedges about 4 times now. First time they had wrong grips, wrong length shafts (by 1") and also the wrong loft on one of the heads, so they (the Tour van people) asked me to come back later when they had fixed them. So, 2 hours later went back (15 mile round trip btw), still had wrong lengths in them! Didn't realise this til next day, took them back to the place where the tour van was the next day (a bit nearer this time) and gave them back, they said they would get them sorted in a week or 2. Five weeks later i get them back with right heads, right shafts but one had normal grip one had mid size! The assistant pro said try them out, see which i prefer and then he would swap the grip for the right one. Went back about a week later to get it changed - they didn't have any of those particular grips in, despite ringing them about 3 hours before to tell them to expect me! Unbelievable. Any cock ups with the MC irons i have ordered and they'll be staying with the pro and getting a refund.

How can they make so many mistakes? It's unreal.
/rant over/

Ahh, that's awful! It really does shock me - I mean, it's there in black and white on the order sheet - someone has to look at it and tick each specific order off - I really don't see how they can miss so much - I feel for ya! And they said mine would be about 1 week - 5 weeks!?? I'd be screwin! After that many screw ups I'd be expecting a partial refund plus the clubs, or at least a sizeable credit with TM.

Ahh, that's awful! It really does shock me - I mean, it's there in black and white on the order sheet - someone has to look at it and tick each specific order off - I really don't see how they can miss so much - I feel for ya! And they said mine would be about 1 week - 5 weeks!?? I'd be screwin! After that many screw ups I'd be expecting a partial refund plus the clubs, or at least a sizeable credit with TM.

Yeah, well i suppose they were under a bit of pressure at the time, what with the demo day and other orders being thrown at them. But they did do it wrong twice that day and once more since then (with 5 weeks to get it right!). But yeah, i'll try and work a line to try and get something free out of them - i wouldn't mind a dozen pentas, after all they don't cost them much to make really but would be worth a lot to me.

I'm due to take receipt of my MC forged irons on about Wednesday/Thursday this week, so ill see if they meet the spec, I somehow doubt it though:banghead:

I paid for the clubs 2 months ago on the understanding that they would be ready on 20th July. I'll give them until the end of the month but i can't wait much longer than that - could have bought them from another retailer and got a free wedge for the same price if i'd been willing to wait til August.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a couple weeks, I have been following the Pro Combo thread a lot more. Anyway, I have not seen anyone referring to this...but with the popularity of the R9 TP irons, is there anyone who switched from the R9 TP irons to the MC's? If so how do you think they compare. I keep going back and forth on some different sets, and there are some great deals on some R9 TP's out there but I have not been able to hit the MC's yet so I do not know how they compare to the R9 TP and if it worth the extra $ for the newer iron models.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a couple weeks, I have been following the Pro Combo thread a lot more. Anyway, I have not seen anyone referring to this...but with the popularity of the R9 TP irons, is there anyone who switched from the R9 TP irons to the MC's? If so how do you think they compare. I keep going back and forth on some different sets, and there are some great deals on some R9 TP's out there but I have not been able to hit the MC's yet so I do not know how they compare to the R9 TP and if it worth the extra $ for the newer iron models.

I don't think you could go wrong either way. Personally, I prefer the MC's, but I have limited exposure with the R9 TP irons.

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

I have just ordered a split set of 4-6mc and 7-9mb. Spent two weeks trying both heads (6 irons only) and different shaft combos, ended up going with dg xp regular for a slightly higher ball flight. Pretty excited to get them (4-5 week wait for them to get here) havnt had new clubs for a long time. Will update once they arrive.

I have just ordered a split set of 4-6mc and 7-9mb. Spent two weeks trying both heads (6 irons only) and different shaft combos, ended up going with dg xp regular for a slightly higher ball flight. Pretty excited to get them (4-5 week wait for them to get here) havnt had new clubs for a long time. Will update once they arrive.

Congrats man! I am sure you will love them! They are the best irons I have ever had. It is going to take something extra special (or old age) to get these out of the bag for me.

I am past my marriage stage, honeymoon is over. No plans for a divorce. I have tried at least 3 sets of irons in the past year. I really have settled on these. They are not rocket launchers like some other options, they just loom right to me at address. I actually have fits when trying new irons for fun if those irOns are larger. I am happy with distance, accuracy is more important for me in my iron game. I may have lost a few yards coming from the cb. Definitely 5-10 from the r9. What I like and have noticed is that my super fade is still playable and only sprays out 10 or so yards from the target line.

Dislike- stock grips!!!
Really like- KBS tour! Excellent shafts, transitions feel so smooth!

I am past my marriage stage, honeymoon is over. No plans for a divorce. I have tried at least 3 sets of irons in the past year. I really have settled on these. They are not rocket launchers like some other options, they just loom right to me at address. I actually have fits when trying new irons for fun if those irOns are larger. I am happy with distance, accuracy is more important for me in my iron game. I may have lost a few yards coming from the cb. Definitely 5-10 from the r9. What I like and have noticed is that my super fade is still playable and only sprays out 10 or so yards from the target line.

Dislike- stock grips!!!
Really like- KBS tour! Excellent shafts, transitions feel so smooth!

What kind of grips do you prefer?

NDMC mid size, u can upgrade them when u order from TM for 8 bucks/grip. I just feel that the tv grips give me too much friction and I like a mid size for control. Furthermore, I found that a larger grip helps with some impact feeling when I miss. It does not have as much vibration. These clubs give you that feedback, I like a little cushion though.

NDMC mid size, u can upgrade them when u order from TM for 8 bucks/grip. I just feel that the tv grips give me too much friction and I like a mid size for control. Furthermore, I found that a larger grip helps with some impact feeling when I miss. It does not have as much vibration. These clubs give you that feedback, I like a little cushion though.

Got ya man. What size glove do you wear? I like to play a standard with 2 wraps, I may switch to 3 wraps just to see. I am also going to put the new GP grips on when it is time for a change.

I wear a L hirzl. It sticks to the ndmc quite well. I also have 2 wraps in my grip. I don't lose too much feel, it's just more comfortable. When I rocked these with stock grips, I found that I gripped harder than normal.

Like you, I am keepin these for awhile. I am dialed into these and now it's swing not equipment. Even when I have bad shots, the good ones just keep me coming back. I get a nice trajectory with the kbs and dg. I just think the kbs feel a lot more smooth. This is something I never really noticed with my other shafts (dg xp). The heads on the mc are a tad smaller than the cb, and do not cause a distraction when switching to the mb. I likey!

I have a very similar set up. 6-7mc/8-PWmb. I used to have trouble with low ball flight and went with the same shaft that you are getting. The ball just stays in the air forever with these shafts. Love the towering ballflight. Let us know how they work out.

Just saw this and thought I would comment on it, I totally agree with you buddy. After having just done a club fitting, I hit the CB's, the MC's and the MB's, and I have no idea why anyone would want to play the MB's, the MC's give you everything you could want and more.

While I agree that the mc are wonderful. I like the mb in my short irons as the smaller profile appeals to my eye. Should I be playing them, perhaps not. I like them and they give me the results I want. Not to say the mc would not. It is aesthetic for me. Albeit, sometimes I could use the mc slightly more forgiving head. I love the mc in my long irons, they produce the ball flight I want and feel great. To each their own. In such a fickle game, I have cut a variable out with my clubs. It's all swing from here on in

I like the MB's because I try to make this game as hard as possible for myself.

I actually got them because I like the look of them better. If you hit two clubs the same, why not go with the one that is more aesthetically pleasing?

^^^ haha, I agree. Different strokes...

The mc offer just a tad more forgiveness in my opinion. I like the larger sized head in low irons as they add a bit more confidence hovering over the ball.

Has anybody compared the TM MC 3/4 iron with the Nike VR Pro Combo 3/4 iron? Thoughts?

Aesthetics and workability (oooh, that word), at least for me. I like the look of the smaller head for my short irons.

Back