TaylorMade Truss Putters

The thing is that most people are rejecting Truss putters based only on looks, not even being willing to pick them up and see if they work. I remember reading stories about Karsten following the PGA Tour around in his car. He would pull an Anser putter out of the trunk and people would laugh at him. Then, Julius Boros won the Phoenix Open, using an Anser putter. We all know how that story turned out. Every single putter manufacturer of any significance offers and Anser-style putter.

I surely am not suggesting that there is revolutionary technology inherent in this new Truss release, but the looks are such a turnoff to so many, the putter will never be given a chance. The aesthetic appeal of our equipment is EXTREMELY important to most of us. I think that is part of what makes the game fun for many.
The Anser is a pageant queen compared to the Truss putters.

Not to mention the release was bungled once.

And the “tech story” just doesn’t make sense.

And the “tech story” just doesn’t make sense.

I am a huge fan of choices. I love that we have so many choices for people and the Truss adds that.
It's a rehash, which is arguably becoming a common trend. Its not the only thing to add stability (arguably here).
I mean hell, if stable and forgiveness are what people are after, go check out an Original Cure line, and say the looks be damned, every science metric and data point out there, shows that they work.

I am a huge fan of choices. I love that we have so many choices for people and the Truss adds that.
It's a rehash, which is arguably becoming a common trend. Its not the only thing to add stability (arguably here).
I mean hell, if stable and forgiveness are what people are after, go check out an Original Cure line, and say the looks be damned, every science metric and data point out there, shows that they work.
And the Cure looks better.

Yes, I said it.

I will definitely try this out. Heck, I played a Rocketballz Stage 2 3 Wood for a year or so and that mofracky was one ugly club in terms of graphics.

For a putt and a half per round I'd stamp my name on it, shaft it in pink, and carry it on the outside of my bag.

Me too, except if it gave me 28 putts per round it would be more like 3 strokes off my index. I already don't use a headcover so it would on display for the entire round, lol.:)

My conclusion is that if this forum is even slightly representative of how most consumers feel, the Truss is doomed as a colossal failure.

My conclusion is that if this forum is even slightly representative of how most consumers feel, the Truss is doomed as a colossal failure.

We will see. I think regular forum goers tend to be on the more extreme segment of the spectrum. I will let you know what I see. The odd shaped putter is becoming more and more the norm.

We will see. I think regular forum goers tend to be on the more extreme segment of the spectrum. I will let you know what I see. The odd shaped putter is becoming more and more the norm.

I agree...I can see these doing well enough for TM at big box retailers...well, once they go on sale, at least ;)

I dunno, I was pretty spot on with my prediction of Flip Face putters, same sentiments go here.

Hardcore TM users will be the ones who roll with them (pun intended) but they are not going to reach out and grab market share with these.

I dunno, I was pretty spot on with my prediction of Flip Face putters, same sentiments go here.

Hardcore TM users will be the ones who roll with them (pun intended) but they are not going to reach out and grab market share with these.

I didn't say that I think it will be a hot seller. I even said that to a TM rep the other day. he said "well, we will see". The only chance this putter has is for a tour player to putt one in the bag and play well with it. that is a very big if..

I think it is pretty easy to see what will sell and what won't to a certain extent. The Mizuno putters. They will sell. They look really good, the feel amazing, and are pretty classic in shape. People dig the blue and are asking for it.

I didn't say that I think it will be a hot seller. I even said that to a TM rep the other day. he said "well, we will see". The only chance this putter has is for a tour player to putt one in the bag and play well with it. that is a very big if..

I think it is pretty easy to see what will sell and what won't to a certain extent. The Mizuno putters. They will sell. They look really good, the feel amazing, and are pretty classic in shape. People dig the blue and are asking for it.
Nah, the only chance is that Tiger specifically puts one in play. I truly believe that.

TaylorMade makes up about 13.5% of putters sold at retail. Barring Tiger Woods winning with one in the bag, Truss shouldn't influence that much in my opinion.

TaylorMade makes up about 13.5% of putters sold at retail. Barring Tiger Woods winning with one in the bag, Truss shouldn't influence that much in my opinion.
100% agree. He is the only way it changes in an decent manner.

New spider will sell some, SpiderX will keep selling, but these just aren't going to make a dent.

The way he putter at Rivera he may need one. haha. But I agree. TM is a far cry from Odyssey in terms of sales.

The way he putter at Rivera he may need one. haha. But I agree. TM is a far cry from Odyssey in terms of sales.
He already put one in play for "The Challenge" in Japan, it didn't help. ;)

He already put one in play for "The Challenge" in Japan, it didn't help. ;)

he didn't play with one. Someone got a picture of him fooling around on the practice green with one. I am sure you know that. What they left out was him :sick::sick: in the trash can immediately after.

he didn't play with one. Someone got a picture of him fooling around on the practice green with one. I am sure you know that. What they left out was him :sick::sick: in the trash can immediately after.
Yup, I'm aware. It was still in hand, and on camera, and was a chance for noise.

Alas....

The reality of it is though unless he is the one putting it in play, peoples reactions will be much the same as we see here.

Yup, I'm aware. It was still in hand, and on camera, and was a chance for noise.

Alas....

The reality of it is though unless he is the one putting it in play, peoples reactions will be much the same as we see here.

Him, Rory, or DJ. Exclude the first name, if those other 2 put it in play and go on a good tear, it will get traction, at least conversation wise. Without that, good luck TM.

Nobody is close to Odyssey. Off course they are close to 30% of the market.
On and Off, TM is behind Odyssey, Ping and Titleist.

That doesn't or shouldn't take away from a product, lots of great putters dont sell really well.
In this case, its not a great putter, so to me its neither here nor there.

Nobody is close to Odyssey. Off course they are close to 30% of the market.
On and Off, TM is behind Odyssey, Ping and Titleist.

That doesn't or shouldn't take away from a product, lots of great putters dont sell really well.
In this case, its not a great putter, so to me its neither here nor there.

I agree. one question what defines a great putter? By the way I am in no way saying this is a great putter. I think it may be better than it looks. But, I do not know that for sure.

Anytime I go to the PGA store I always go to the putting green for about 10 minutes before I leave. Went yesterday to hit all the Cobra stuff. Before leaving I putted with the Tb1 and Tb2 models.

Last week when I bought my mizuno putter I tried the Truss putter just b/c they were there. I was actually impressed with how they felt overall. Look better in person but still not good looking by any means

So yesterday I couldn't miss with these things. @JB knows im the best putter on the planet anyways but honestly these putters made it easier to start the ball on the right line more consistently. Definitely seems more forgiving across the face and the face helps with a more straight back and forward stroke

Like most have mentioned previously I highly doubt these will sell unfortunately, but I do think overall (minus the looks) its a pretty damn good putter. I might just bring one to Morgan Cup to distract everyone on the greens. I'll leave the back of the putter in people's view when they line up their putt so they're horrified of the look and cant concentrate on the putt

Ok I have to admit even though I think this is a pretty ugly putter I've ever seen I was curious. I'm surprised to admit I didn't completely hate it. It looks good at address and you don't see and of the craziness thats happening. The feel wasn't bad either. Would I game it? Not sure but its not as bad as I would have thought just based on the photos alone.

IMG_3369.pngIMG_8998.pngIMG_9102.png

Ok I have to admit even though I think this is a pretty ugly putter I've ever seen I was curious. I'm surprised to admit I didn't completely hate it. It looks good at address and you don't see and of the craziness thats happening. The feel wasn't bad either. Would I game it? Not sure but its not as bad as I would have thought just based on the photos alone.

View attachment 8928456View attachment 8928458View attachment 8928459
Not its not bad at all... from a purely results perspective I could play either model easily. Dont buy the mizuno and buy this! ill return mine and grab a Truss too

Back