TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

glad they are working for you Esox, i love these wedges as well.

So I played my first round with these wedges today. The only practice I had with them was six shots with the 51* and six with the 58* before teeing off. I'm going to make a statement here. If I hit the R11 far enough during TMC to put these in my hands for approach shots, the ladies that comprise Team Hackers better be very ready indeed.

Because these things rocked my world. The faces are a bit larger than the Vokeys I've been playing for the last four or five years, and I hit them about 10 yards farther. The ball jumps off the face, and while it may not have old groove spin on it, it spin very, very, very good indeed. After saying in my video I most likely wouldn't use the 56-12* out of the fairway, I went ahead and did it anyway. And covered the flag with two shots. Unfortunately, I left two five foot putts about 2" short total, one on a par 5, the other on a short par 4.

Love the look, love the feel off the face, and love the feel of the shaft. The KBS Hi-Rev shaft is considerably better than the stock True Temper Vokey wedge shaft. Like worlds apart better. Like dry-aged Kobe beef to Pick 'n' Save choice steak better. Like my looks compared to TC's better. Hell, I considered laying up to a number today on a par 5 just to hit another 80-100 yard shot with one of these things, and that's not my MO.

I didn't though, and tried to draw a hybrid into the green. Hit it straight through the dogleg into the rough. I did, however, hit a little flip 58* over a small tree to about 12', but 2 putted for par.

I will admit I had some concerns going in. A guy like me forms a close bond with his wedges. After just one round, those concerns have gone the way of Tiger Woods' golf swing. Right out the Escalade broken window.

Listen. Do you hear that? That's the sound of my feet pounding the floor. I'm dancing with joy about how well these clubs are going to work out.

Kevin

I'm seeing the exact same things you are Esox except the imaginary dogs. I do actually like hitting full 56 and 60 degree wedges but these wedges are just so easy to hit with a full swing. I'll have more updates tomorrow after I play.

I'm seeing the exact same things you are Esox except the imaginary dogs. I do actually like hitting full 56 and 60 degree wedges but these wedges are just so easy to hit with a full swing. I'll have more updates tomorrow after I play.

Maybe they're designed with lefties in mind. Are they spinning good enough for you. To be honest, I never want to back a ball up. Maybe because I don't/can't. lol. But these things sat down within five or eight feet from a hundred yards. So much easier to control in my opinion than a shot that zips back. I really didn't chip that much with them because I hit eleven greens today, and punched out of trouble on a couple others then hit the 1/2 to 3/4 shots in, so in all honesty, I'll know a little more after a few more rounds.

Kevin

Maybe they're designed with lefties in mind. Are they spinning good enough for you. To be honest, I never want to back a ball up. Maybe because I don't/can't. lol. But these things sat down within five or eight feet from a hundred yards. So much easier to control in my opinion than a shot that zips back. I really didn't chip that much with them because I hit eleven greens today, and punched out of trouble on a couple others then hit the 1/2 to 3/4 shots in, so in all honesty, I'll know a little more after a few more rounds.

Kevin

Hmmm designed for lefties...that would be a first. I don't really ever back a ball up more than a foot or two on the green, normally I just want a ball to hit, hop and stop, it it comes back a little bit after that, thats ok. On 3/4 and 1/2 pitch shots I'm seeing more than enough spin to make me happy. The only place I'm seeing less spin than I would like is in chipping from the rough, but thats all due to the new grooves I think, plus I shouldn't be in the greenside rough anyway.

...plus I shouldn't be in the greenside rough anyway.

I agree. That's like hitting a shot out of a greenside bunker. What's the point?

Kevin

I had some really nice up and downs with my XFT wedges during my round today. I'm mainly using the 58 degree wedge for any pitch and lob shots around the green, with some occasional use of the 54 if I have a lot of green to work with or a straight-forward chip shot. After some practice with these wedges, I am finding that the ball runs out a little more with these wedges on greenside shots from the rough; I'm going to attribute that to the groove change. So I've been opening the face of my 58 more than I had in the past to get more loft, and the nice part about the 58 is that it's really easy to open the face and still have the club glide through the grass to make good contact.

2 shots stood out for me today. The first was a chip shot with the 54 which lipped out of the hole, leading to an easy tap-in. The ball was tracking right for the hole on the line I hit it, and it was off a tight greenside lie, and the 54 had no trouble at all. The second shot was my 3rd shot on a par 5, 65 yards out. I struggle with 1/2 and 3/4 shots, but decided to try a 3/4 shot with the 58. I hit it and the ball hit right beside the flagstick and settled 10 feet behind the pin after the first bounce; the green was sloping away from me, so I was happy that the ball checked up that quickly. I saw that my pitchmark was about 3 inches to the left of the hole! I was able to roll in the birdie putt for my only birdie of the day.

One other thing for people considering these wedges: in the past, I had shied away from these wedges because the edges of the removable faces bothered me for some reason. After using these wedges for some time, I don't even notice the edges of the faceplates, and just treat them like other wedges. In a way, it's like the white clubheads: they catch your eye at first, but after playing them for a while, you don't notice the difference at all.

Man I'm loving these wedges. Full shots are just so easy to hit but around the greens are where they are shining for me right now. Best shot of my round yesterday was a 25 yard greenside bunker shot. I pull out the 51* wedge, open it up, and it just a perfect shot that hit 4 feet right of the pin and spun to a foot for a tap in birdie. After spending some time today with the xFT's around the chipping greens they have more than enough spin to play any shot that I need. Very happy with these wedges and the combination that I got.

Man I'm loving these wedges. Full shots are just so easy to hit but around the greens are where they are shining for me right now. Best shot of my round yesterday was a 25 yard greenside bunker shot. I pull out the 51* wedge, open it up, and it just a perfect shot that hit 4 feet right of the pin and spun to a foot for a tap in birdie. After spending some time today with the xFT's around the chipping greens they have more than enough spin to play any shot that I need. Very happy with these wedges and the combination that I got.

Opening up the 51*. Nice. That takes some real macadamias. There's hope for you, young Canadian.

Of course you're happy with the combination. You were well advised. hehehe.

Kevin

im glad everybody is liking these so well, i remember last year when i first started playing mine i took some crap for it from some people lol, was always told how bad these wedges were but i bagged one anyway and its nice to see others liking them as much as i do, i really hope taylormade sticks with the xFT tech for future wedges, so much easier and cheaper than buying new wedges

im glad everybody is liking these so well, i remember last year when i first started playing mine i took some crap for it from some people lol, was always told how bad these wedges were but i bagged one anyway and its nice to see others liking them as much as i do, i really hope taylormade sticks with the xFT tech for future wedges, so much easier and cheaper than buying new wedges

Well I think you should stop playing with golfers that give you crap about playing equipment, but I do love these things. Plus the removable face is just so cool, grooves get a little dull and BAM! new wedge for $30 bucks, and you won't have to get used it to it at all.

Well I think you should stop playing with golfers that give you crap about playing equipment, but I do love these things. Plus the removable face is just so cool, grooves get a little dull and BAM! new wedge for $30 bucks, and you won't have to get used it to it at all.

Are there still non-conforming face plates out there for sale? I'd like to give those a try after TMC.

Kevin

Are there still non-conforming face plates out there for sale? I'd like to give those a try after TMC.

Kevin

You can find them on ebay I'm sure.

I'm liking the feedback, MC'rs. I have to say I'm a bit jealous, but I enjoy living vicariously through you all.

You can find them on ebay I'm sure.

I'm liking the feedback, MC'rs. I have to say I'm a bit jealous, but I enjoy living vicariously through you all.

What's an ebay?

Kevin

What's an ebay?

Kevin

Nice, I'm going to pick up at least 6 faceplates for these wedges so I can play them for at least 2 seasons.

Nice, I'm going to pick up at least 6 faceplates for these wedges so I can play them for at least 2 seasons.

Let me know if you find some lefties. I'm too lazy to look.

Kevin

Man, you take off for a day to play golf and now I am in multi-quote hell! Nice work everyone.

I had some really nice up and downs with my XFT wedges during my round today. I'm mainly using the 58 degree wedge for any pitch and lob shots around the green, with some occasional use of the 54 if I have a lot of green to work with or a straight-forward chip shot. After some practice with these wedges, I am finding that the ball runs out a little more with these wedges on greenside shots from the rough; I'm going to attribute that to the groove change. So I've been opening the face of my 58 more than I had in the past to get more loft, and the nice part about the 58 is that it's really easy to open the face and still have the club glide through the grass to make good contact.

2 shots stood out for me today. The first was a chip shot with the 54 which lipped out of the hole, leading to an easy tap-in. The ball was tracking right for the hole on the line I hit it, and it was off a tight greenside lie, and the 54 had no trouble at all. The second shot was my 3rd shot on a par 5, 65 yards out. I struggle with 1/2 and 3/4 shots, but decided to try a 3/4 shot with the 58. I hit it and the ball hit right beside the flagstick and settled 10 feet behind the pin after the first bounce; the green was sloping away from me, so I was happy that the ball checked up that quickly. I saw that my pitchmark was about 3 inches to the left of the hole! I was able to roll in the birdie putt for my only birdie of the day.

One other thing for people considering these wedges: in the past, I had shied away from these wedges because the edges of the removable faces bothered me for some reason. After using these wedges for some time, I don't even notice the edges of the faceplates, and just treat them like other wedges. In a way, it's like the white clubheads: they catch your eye at first, but after playing them for a while, you don't notice the difference at all.
Nice follow-up Ary!

I am as well CB!

You need to surround yourself with better people :D

That's the genius behind these wedges and I am still baffled why more people did not buy them. It's ok, it leaves more faceplates for me that I can find.

When I got mine last year, my friends liked them, didn't want to hit them and when I raved about them, they didn't run out and buy them. Not sure what the stigma is with my friends.

Kevin
Yes. Although CG mentioned they weren't making any more of them. I heard the stock was crazy in the amount they produced however.

I am not seeing many on ebay. They are floating around as coolbreeze found out.

Try Blind9 as well, they stock them and will match and in most cases beat other prices out there. Plus they are nice people and THP sponsors!

Played a tough track in TPC Treviso Bay down in Naples that had paspalum, which I don't have a lot of experience with. It's stickier than I am used to. I hit a couple of chips around the green and I didn't have any issues with the turf as I was striking it well and ball first.

My first two full shots were out of the rough with uneven lies and I choked down a little too much, more of a bermuda move, and I bladed those shots and ended up with bogey on both of them.

Full shots from the fairway were beautiful and high and the ball would land soft with very little release. I had a couple with both the 56 and 50. Divots were perfect, symmetrical and going tight at my target.

I had one bunker shot where the pin was about 10' above the bunker and about 15' off the collar and I put the ball two feet past and sunk the putt for a sandy. The sand was more like dirt and firm from the night before. The 60 interacted perfectly when I opened that blade up.

Side note. I found I was losing about 5-10 yards on off-center hits, for those of you wondering about forgiveness.

Loving my wedge choices and couldn't be happier with the way they are performing.

I love the feel of these wedges, I love getting to 110 and in so I can hit the 50. It's becoming my fav full shot club, and then a 3/4 56 is money at 70 yards... And i really can't say enough about the 60 cgrind.

It's a really versatile club that can do anything around the green you need. Flops, sand, pitches it is the money club.

TM really has a winner on their hands, and like biggsy I am surprised not many people gamed these up.

I ordered 6 z faceplates from blind9, they may be out you'll have to check though.

These questions are for Ary and anybody else going 54/58. Do you find that the 54 gives you a comfortable amount of loft out of the sand, especially in a deep bunker? Also, how do feel about the higher bounce on the 58? Any issues on tight lies?

I have been thinking about going the 54/58 route with my wedges. However, I am concerned that the lower loft of the 54 would be an issue as it would be my primary sand club.

Hawk, feel free to tell me to GTFO, but if your in a deep bunker, why not just use the 58?

That being said, I used 54 almost exclusively from everywhere except for trouble shots. I liked it that way.

These questions are for Ary and anybody else going 54/58. Do you find that the 54 gives you a comfortable amount of loft out of the sand, especially in a deep bunker? Also, how do feel about the higher bounce on the 58? Any issues on tight lies?

I have been thinking about going the 54/58 route with my wedges. However, I am concerned that the lower loft of the 54 would be an issue as it would be my primary sand club.

Hawk, feel free to tell me to GTFO, but if your in a deep bunker, why not just use the 58?

That being said, I used 54 almost exclusively from everywhere except for trouble shots. I liked it that way.

No, you are right on. I did think about it, but my preferrence would be to go low-bounce on the 58. That works fine for many courses around here, but not so much with the fluffier sand. That's why I was curious about the bounce on the 58°.

Ahh gotcha. Well opening the face of the 58 would give you a 60 or even 62 with more bounce. As would playing it up in your stance. Just food for thought.
No, you are right on. I did think about it, but my preferrence would be to go low-bounce on the 58. That works fine for many courses around here, but not so much with the fluffier sand. That's why I was curious about the bounce on the 58°.

Good point.

Back